wearing face masks?

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Yet they both agree it is spread by talking . Don't know how much more proof that you want 🤷🏻‍♂️
I'm just curious why everybody doesn't have it if that's how it is. I'm just curious why multiple doctors have told me personally since I've had it that you're only "exposed" to it when you're within a close proximity of someone that has it for more than 10 minutes. It is absolutely false that masks are gonna cure the coronavirus. It is absolutely false that it's basically just randomly floating around in the air like some kind of corona mist that people get by just walking through. If you have on a mask but you touch a door handle or a gas pump or anything else in public the mask is gonna literally do nothing. I had to go to the ER just last week because my heart rate went nuts and I woke up and literally thought I was gonna die. I called the Dr and they told me to go immediately to the ER. I get down there and they hand me a mask. The next thing they hand me is a pen that tons of people have touched but I shouldn't worry though because I was at least wearing my mask. The women at the front desk weren't wearing gloves and literally touched me while giving me my wristband. The guy that admitted me wasn't wearing gloves but was literally touching me while checking my vitals. In one side of their mouth they will say wear a mask and distance but then don't think about all the things we touch. There is no doubt that distancing would be the most effective way to not get it. People are so misinformed that I've literally seen idiots by themselves in their cars wearing a mask riding down the road.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I'm just curious why everybody doesn't have it if that's how it is. I'm just curious why multiple doctors have told me personally since I've had it that you're only "exposed" to it when you're within a close proximity of someone that has it for more than 10 minutes. It is absolutely false that masks are gonna cure the coronavirus. It is absolutely false that it's basically just randomly floating around in the air like some kind of corona mist that people get by just walking through. If you have on a mask but you touch a door handle or a gas pump or anything else in public the mask is gonna literally do nothing. I had to go to the ER just last week because my heart rate went nuts and I woke up and literally thought I was gonna die. I called the Dr and they told me to go immediately to the ER. I get down there and they hand me a mask. The next thing they hand me is a pen that tons of people have touched but I shouldn't worry though because I was at least wearing my mask. The women at the front desk weren't wearing gloves and literally touched me while giving me my wristband. The guy that admitted me wasn't wearing gloves but was literally touching me while checking my vitals. In one side of their mouth they will say wear a mask and distance but then don't think about all the things we touch. There is no doubt that distancing would be the most effective way to not get it. People are so misinformed that I've literally seen idiots by themselves in their cars wearing a mask riding down the road.
Your right and I am wrong . So I Will just go back to my quiet life in my country that has no Corona virus because we social distanced , washed our hands regularly and wore masks where appropriate. Just as our healthcare professionals told us to .
Have a magical day .

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Your right and I am wrong . So I Will just go back to my quiet life in my country that has no Corona virus because we social distanced , washed our hands regularly and wore masks where appropriate. Just as our healthcare professionals told us to .
Have a magical day .
I'm not saying I'm "right" and you're "wrong". I'm saying that masks are not 100% gonna cure the virus and people just "talking" are not spreading the virus around. Didn't the WHO initially say that China didn't even cause the thing? I genuinely hope that no one here gets the virus and has to go through what I've went through in the last month and continue to go through but the false sense of security that people seem to be getting from these masks is ridiculous. I just hope that you approach people who smoke cigarettes as passionately as you do those that choose not to wear a mask while standing 50 feet away from the nearest person.

Screamface

I'm just curious why everybody doesn't have it if that's how it is. I'm just curious why multiple doctors have told me personally since I've had it that you're only "exposed" to it when you're within a close proximity of someone that has it for more than 10 minutes. It is absolutely false that masks are gonna cure the coronavirus.

In countries with very low numbers of cases, where they can contact trace everyone with it. There have been people who have caught it by being in an elevator after someone infectious has been in it.

Masks help.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
In countries with very low numbers of cases, where they can contact trace everyone with it. There have been people who have caught it by being in an elevator after someone infectious has been in it.

Masks help.
No they don't . He has spoken to doctors dontcha know. .

Jon81uk

I'm just curious why everybody doesn't have it if that's how it is. I'm just curious why multiple doctors have told me personally since I've had it that you're only "exposed" to it when you're within a close proximity of someone that has it for more than 10 minutes. It is absolutely false that masks are gonna cure the coronavirus.

If that person who you are in close proximity to, is wearing a mask, the virus filled droplets are a lot less likely to get to you.

If they have the disease in their breath a mask will lower the chance of their infected breath getting to you.

They wear a mask to protect you and you wear a mask to protect them.

The next thing they hand me is a pen that tons of people have touched

and as long as you don't touch your face you should be fine. The virus needs to enter through a mouth, nose or eyes, so after you touch the pen, don't touch your face until you have washed your hands (or used alcohol gel if soap and water isn't available).
This has been the most consistent piece of advice throughout the whole pandemic, don't touch your face after unless you have washed your hands.

Then if you can't keep 6ft away from people then wear a mask so you don't spread the virus in case you are asymptomatic. For best precautions wear a mask and keep 6ft apart.

Also avoid shouting, screaming and singing as your voice projects further and again if you are asymptomatic you may pass the virus on.

To add to the final point, UK theme parks are only insisting on masks on thrill rides or indoors. For outdoor lines keeping 6.5ft separation is fine and they are also only loading one "family" per row etc. The reason for the mask on the rollercoaster is because you are more likely to scream and therefore project droplets further.

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
@Jon81uk
2aag0t.jpg

CaptainAmerica

My issue has never been whether masks are effective or not, it's always been that we're vastly overstating the severity of the virus itself. Masks might be effective in slowing the spread of the flu or the common cold, too, but we don't mandate masks every cold and flu season. Why? Because we've convinced ourselves that coronavirus is orders of magnitude more severe. It's not. Yes, it is *somewhat* more severe, maybe even *much* more severe, but our response has been to treat it like has a 40% mortality rate, when in reality it basically has a 0% mortality rate for anyone under 65.

In other words, I'm not anti-mask because I think they're ineffective, I'm anti-mask because the virus is nothing to be afraid of and the collective paranoia we're living through is far more damaging to our mental health that the virus is to our bodies.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
No one is suggesting that Disney prevent anyone from attending. However, every expert is warning that people who are at higher than normal risk of serious complications from COVID-19 should take extra precautions. That is just common sense in the midst of a pandemic. If someone chooses to ignore that advice, then that is their choice, but it doesn't make much sense for someone who is high risk to be visiting a place so non-essential as Walt Disney World right now.

A dangerous comorbidity for COVID is elevated blood glucose. There are a lot of people choosing to ignore that. Doctors and nurses are saying they're seeing complications start, for the most part, with patients who have an A1C higher than 7. Most people I know who walked around for years with elevated blood glucose without getting checked were well above that. Some even double that.

My guess is that a lot of people going to Disney are high risk in some way or another and just don't know it.

NickMaio

This virus has spread across the planet faster than any virus in history.
We have had global aviation travel for more than 50 years now.
It's a bigger deal to not just people but to hospitals. You are talking death rates. Please take a look at hospitalization rates and then recovery times post hospital.
This virus has the potential to wipe out workforces and change the employment landscape through.
Previous flu's were mostly weeks in recovery. Covid, not do much.
It's no coincidence that the planet has banded together against this virus.....its not just a case of, another flu. This one is vastly different and warrants what we are doing to combat it.

CaptainAmerica

A dangerous comorbidity for COVID is elevated blood glucose. There are a lot of people choosing to ignore that. Doctors and nurses are saying they're seeing complications start, for the most part, with patients who have an A1C higher than 7. Most people I know who walked around for years with elevated blood glucose without getting checked were well above that. Some even double that.

My guess is that a lot of people going to Disney are high risk in some way or another and just don't know it.
But even with comorbidity factored in, the death rate is still nearly zero if you're under 65.

NickMaio

Very true....there is so much about this virus that we really dont know.
Opening up was a bad idea.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
But even with comorbidity factored in, the death rate is still nearly zero if you're under 65.

Do you know anyone with COVID or who has had it? Even under 65 (well under) the virus is severe. Okay, so they don't die, but my friend's 18 year old is having non-stop strokes and has felt like he was hit by a bus for three weeks straight now. My coworker couldn't get out of bed for nine days because of the pain and her boyfriend had to attend to her with an N95 mask and a bed pan. My old Army buddy has been on a ventilator for over a month, and he doesn't have insurance so his bill is going to be the death of him. There are thousands of people out there who will tell you that just not dying isn't the only thing we need to worry about with this.

You do you. I mean, I get it, hardly anyone dies from this. But I'm going to do everything I can to protect myself, my family, and my friends from getting THIS sick, even if they don't die.

John park hopper

My brothers wife had covid early on back in March she is in her mid 60's, My brother said for 2 weeks she felt like she was hit by a truck. Thankfully no residual side effects but it took her over a month to get back to normal. Until there is a viable vaccine I will take all the precautions I can. Add --my brother was asymptomatic never got sick (you never know)

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Do you know anyone with COVID or who has had it? Even under 65 (well under) the virus is severe. Okay, so they don't die, but my friend's 18 year old is having non-stop strokes and has felt like he was hit by a bus for three weeks straight now. My coworker couldn't get out of bed for nine days because of the pain and her boyfriend had to attend to her with an N95 mask and a bed pan. My old Army buddy has been on a ventilator for over a month, and he doesn't have insurance so his bill is going to be the death of him. There are thousands of people out there who will tell you that just not dying isn't the only thing we need to worry about with this.

You do you. I mean, I get it, hardly anyone dies from this. But I'm going to do everything I can to protect myself, my family, and my friends from getting THIS sick, even if they don't die.
Anecdotes are not statistics. What you're describing is very rare. You're probably not going to get it. Even if you get it, you're unlikely to experience any symptoms whatsoever. Even if you experience symptoms, they're unlikely to be severe. Even if they're severe, it's unlikely to require hospitalization. Even if it requires hospitalization, you're likely to make a full recovery. You're describing a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction.

And yes, my mother had it (confirmed via testing) and we're pretty sure my father and sister had it, though they weren't tested.

G00fyDad

Exactly. As I said before, death seems to be the only metric people use to measure this thing. I think that until it personally affects some people they treat COVID19 as if it were "other people's problem" and nothing to worry about. "But the flu kills 36k people every year and I am still here so I am NOT wearing a mask!" That attitude is why we are 143,000+ dead in 4 months and over 3,800,000 infected in this country. Some of those 3,800,000 are fighting for their lives and those recovered may have lasting effects from this virus. Death is not the only bad thing that can happen from COVID19.

CaptainAmerica

Exactly. As I said before, death seems to be the only metric people use to measure this thing. I think that until it personally affects some people they treat COVID19 as if it were "other people's problem" and nothing to worry about. "But the flu kills 36k people every year and I am still here so I am NOT wearing a mask!" That attitude is why we are 143,000+ dead in 4 months and over 3,800,000 infected in this country. Some of those 3,800,000 are fighting for their lives and those recovered may have lasting effects from this virus. Death is not the only bad thing that can happen from COVID19.
Those "other lasting effects besides death" are even rarer than death itself and are also caused by the flu, so that's not your best line of argument when trying to draw a distinction.

As I said, I know it's more severe than the flu but our response has still been disproportionate. Maybe it's five times worse, for the sake of argument. Our response has not been "this is what you do for something five times as bad as the flu," it has been "this is what you do for something five hundred times as bad as the flu."

Screamface

As I said, I know it's more severe than the flu but our response has still been disproportionate.

It is an interesting aspect of this, not for wrong reasons the reaction was very cautious. No one wants to take ownership or admit the actual risk is something society is fine with taking.

Large parts of the world have just not tested, dealt with it. Figures are way off. Other parts are just accepting it, opening up with it existing, low testing, accepting but pretending it's past. The US is stupidly politicised with it. It's opening up but no one can admit anything. People can't admit protests stuffed the response, or that it's just accepted now as being out there. Yet with high testing.

Countries like Australia, who did well are now trying to stop what would be considered small outbreaks elsewhere. Masks being encouraged in hotspots.

End of the day, you don't want to catch this, the masks is about you. Wear a damn mask if you care about yourself. Or if you care about those you're in close contact with. Will it help, maybe a small chance, but every little bit helps. We want to be past all this .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom