We had a magical time but...

I am Timmy

Yeah, I hate that saying about Americans. I remember when the internet was new and we could actually play games (poker, blackjack) with people from other countries. I got on one that had a lot of Germans and other nationalities. They were all talking back and forth with each other and introducing themselves. I introduced myself as being American, and they all shut up. Not one welcomed me or talked to me. I don't know why? I think some people get the wrong idea about American from the actions of a few crazies. It was an eye opener to me.
That's why when we travel to Europe we say we're from Canada. It worked like a charm. In the beginning we said we were americans and we got ignored or dirty looked. Go Canada!

NickMaio

My point was that people should be glad they can go and stop being ungrateful, entitled brats about it.
There are many that would love to go or go more often and cannot. When those said people can go they are just happy to be there and yes some things aren't perfect, it's not going to be perfect in the parks with so many people in them now that don't care about if they're throwing their trash on the ground or in a bin. The old skool mentality is sadly gone about cleaning up after yourself and caring about things.

In the long run, having a humble and grateful attitude will get one a long way. JMHO.
-----My point was that people should be glad they can go and stop being ungrateful, entitled brats about it. --------
Yes I got your point - - - However.....if I am paying money for ANYTHING I want the standards that were previously upheld to BE upheld.
I really fail to see how bringing up issues, obvious issues that others see as well, to management somehow becomes acting like a entitled brat.
This is not some little issue - - this is cleanliness and hygiene, this is rides not working properly after we have waited hours to get on, with a toddler no doubt, this is being segregated from other paying guests who get better seats/views just because they PAID extra. Even Eiser didn't do that dirty trick.

If you want to wander around feeling everything is grand and full of poppies be my guest.
I expect more from the company I grew up with, I feel that they need to be held accountable. Making record profits year after year and the parks falling further and further into disrepair is NOT ok in my books. This is not entitlement this is called a consumer voice.
Perhaps if more of us did this through our wallets or sending WDW comments changes might be made.
But NO............ we must not complain about WDW and all their wisdom, they are trying their best after all there are soooooo many people in the parks now, more than before.
Come on, get off it, 12.6 billion dollars in ONE year!!! There is no excuse for the things that have been going on here, NO EXCUSE.

Just because you CAN do something does not mean you should accept an inferior product from ANY business.
Even first timers comment on the constantly overflowing trash bins outside of Buzz, the lack of light in Dinosaur, the not working animatronics in Splash and the list goes on.............

NickMaio

My point was that people should be glad they can go and stop being ungrateful, entitled brats about it.
There are many that would love to go or go more often and cannot. When those said people can go they are just happy to be there and yes some things aren't perfect, it's not going to be perfect in the parks with so many people in them now that don't care about if they're throwing their trash on the ground or in a bin. The old skool mentality is sadly gone about cleaning up after yourself and caring about things.

In the long run, having a humble and grateful attitude will get one a long way. JMHO.
----- many people in them now that don't care about if they're throwing their trash on the ground or in a bin. The old skool mentality is sadly gone about cleaning up after yourself and caring about things. -----

People are throwing their trash in the bins - - - its WDW who is not cleaning them up. They let the bins overflow, in some places it's over flowing all day long. We have noticed this in multiple locations in many parks - - MK is the worst though.

NickMaio

While it's a nice theory, the crowds aren't that much bigger than they were in the past. When I was working there (2006-2011) even at the most crowded times you wouldn't have seen mess like that. And even at that point there were some comments about how some things were being cut over overlooked a bit to save money.

And this is the real problem. After Disney made such a big todo about announcing how they were increasing everyone's wages, there were a lot of us that were in dread of what that really meant. Cut hours for cast members and more ways to reduce spending, cut costs, and get every penny they could from the guests. And that's what's been happening.

Cast members I know who work there in several departments have talked about ways they're working to reduce the number of cast working at any point, or find other ways to cut costs. And it's really showing in things like the repainting that used to be done every night. Not as many custodial workers to clean up. Things that used to be basic upkeep being overlooked or ignored for much longer periods of time. A place that used to be pristine, no matter how busy it was, not so anymore because they don't want to spend the money to keep it that way.

All while recording record breaking profits and trying to increase over that.

I love Disney, but this is one thing that simply drives me nuts sometimes.
Honestly - - this is what it comes down to - cutting staff and cutting staff hours. To save money. Well SOME of us are noticing this trend. Less people to clean and up-keep the rides. Others will always turn a blind eye because WDW can never do wrong, no matter what sort of cost cutting garbage they pull.

thomas998

[QUOTE="Disstevefan1, post: 8707426, member: 10547
Back to the original comments of the OP. In my opinion the reason you see thoes issues is because the understaffed, under paid, overworked cast members who serve extremely overcrowded parks and resorts!

Why would Disney operate this way? BECAUSE THEY CAN!!!! Folks just keep coming!,,,,
[/QUOTE]
Sad but true. What is needed to make things better is probably a big recession that lowers their crowds. Not just lowering them a little but enough that they realize they need to do something to boost the draw of the parks. At that point they will suddenly start doing more with the parks to make them better, but when they are filled to brim when they do the bare minimum they see no reason to do anymore. I mean can you imagine the damage that would do to the bottom line of someones operating unit, increase costs without any change in revenue? The horror....

Though my family is doing our part to help force them to change, we don't go as often and spend more time at other parks in the area like Universal... Maybe if more would do the same it might make difference, but I doubt it. If you want change just pray for big global recession.

bjlc57

a year ago this week I was at pop.. and i watched a teenager dump a good portion of her breakfest right in front of the waffle area.. and just stood there.. looked both ways and left it.. so any one could slip on it.. or let some one else clean it up.. during my trip.. I dropped some thing as well and asked for rags and napkins and got down on my knees and cleaned my own mess.. Take responsibility for your self.. you make a mess clean it up ..or at least get some one to help you. .but done dump something and make sure that "no one saw you" and then leave.. its the same with going to a night show.. we got to our area very early. .. there was a designated path for safety.. and we were on the correct side of the line.. however. with one minute to go.. suddenly .. this perfect viewing area got destroyed because some one was way more special then we were.. in our electric carts.. and my wife got a prime view of someones back side and nothing else .. until I said some thing and told the cast members who state.. YES.. we need this path open.. an you have to move... so this guy moved infront of me.. and finally a guy behind me .. from this guys country. ( and it doesn't matter where he was from including USA,, ) told this guy that he was embarrassing himself and that we had been waiting for close to an hour.. and that we could not see.. this guy decided it was time to go some where else..

BoarderPhreak

I've certainly been witness to filthy tables and general surroundings in eating areas and poor mousekeeping in resorts (the worst being AKL so far). I can excuse the former to a degree, considering the massive crowds everywhere. But the latter is just poor management/hiring and/or standards.

But seeing it (and complaining on a forum) is one thing - reporting it to WDW is another. One's actionable; the other isn't.

NickMaio

I've certainly been witness to filthy tables and general surroundings in eating areas and poor mousekeeping in resorts (the worst being AKL so far). I can excuse the former to a degree, considering the massive crowds everywhere. But the latter is just poor management/hiring and/or standards.

But seeing it (and complaining on a forum) is one thing - reporting it to WDW is another. One's actionable; the other isn't.
Yes.......those dissatisfied with WDW please tell them. If enough people pipe up and let them know we are not coming back until things change, change might actually happen. Everything I vent off here has been expressed to WDW.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I guess some people believe that paying for a Disney vacation, justifies them being complete slobs. Cast members are employees, not personal servants, and as such, one should expect that they do their job.

Clean after yourself, display good manners and consideration toward fellow guests and yes, also toward employees.

I've seen some families leave their tables a complete disgusting mess, refusing to at the very least, pick up their trays.

That being said, If I have a complaint, I make it through the survey or via e-mail after our vacation has ended.

I'm not letting those issues ruin our hard earned vacations.

SirWillow

I'm confident it won't get that bad though. Like I said, even if it's less than perfect, it's still light years above any other theme park in almost every aspect.

Except that they've shown in the past that they can get that bad- they did it in the late 80's and 90's near the end of the Eisner era. Which led to the two fatal accidents they had there within a few years before they woke up and started fixing things up again.

And as the others have said, be sure to send those notes in to WDW. I would also encourage to add in some positives along with the negatives- let them know not only what you don't like, but what you really do like.

thomas998

I guess some people believe that paying for a Disney vacation, justifies them being complete slobs. Cast members are employees, not personal servants, and as such, one should expect that they do their job.

Clean after yourself, display good manners and consideration toward fellow guests and yes, also toward employees.

I've seen some families leave their tables a complete disgusting mess, refusing to at the very least, pick up their trays.

That being said, If I have a complaint, I make it through the survey or via e-mail after our vacation has ended.

I'm not letting those issues ruin our hard earned vacations.
I think in a way the high prices and lower quality experience does cause some people to feel entitled to just leave plates on table and other things like that. If you pay a really high price and are provided with an experience that you think is worth it you probably don't feel the need to try and get any additional perks from your stay... but if you pay an extremely high price for a mediocre experience you might have some people thinking, "well for what I paid they can clean it up". And when the attitudes start getting into some of the guests the other reality is it will spread like a slow growing cancer as others see it happen and follow.

unmitigated disaster

I think in a way the high prices and lower quality experience does cause some people to feel entitled to just leave plates on table and other things like that. If you pay a really high price and are provided with an experience that you think is worth it you probably don't feel the need to try and get any additional perks from your stay... but if you pay an extremely high price for a mediocre experience you might have some people thinking, "well for what I paid they can clean it up". And when the attitudes start getting into some of the guests the other reality is it will spread like a slow growing cancer as others see it happen and follow.
I work at a higher end resort in Arizona and have for years. We see people all the time who, because they are paying a higher price to stay with us, act like we're lackeys and they're superior. This leaving trash is not restricted to Disney guests.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I work at a higher end resort in Arizona and have for years. We see people all the time who, because they are paying a higher price to stay with us, act like we're lackeys and they're superior. This leaving trash is not restricted to Disney guests.

It really is a never-ending cycle. I believe that both guests and castmembers should do their part IMHO.

eliza61nyc

Yes.......those dissatisfied with WDW please tell them. If enough people pipe up and let them know we are not coming back until things change, change might actually happen. Everything I vent off here has been expressed to WDW.

but here's the thing, you (not you personally, general use) keep coming back. The Op themselves is complaining and saying she is planning another trip.

You can express dissatisfaction until the cows come home but until it effects the bottom line, it's like peeing in the wind. all that's going to happen is you get wet from the splash back.

Oh and when I mention to people that they are still going, the number one response is "oh I had a good time but....."

now I haven't seen these park wide overflowing trash cans in the 20 years I've been going, that's not to say others have not. When I mention this I've also been told that it's because I go generally during the slower seasons. who knows. I posted pictures of my last trip in August at Peco's bills for lunch. not one gross trash can in the bunch and I definitely never looked behind my seat on the bus. again not saying that these issues are not happening.

What I am saying is for a multi billion dollar company, complaining on a message board is not about to effect real change. it is really simple in my mind, if I felt that Disney is really getting dirty and nasty, I certainly am not giving them another 4 to 5 thousand. just my opinion.

Last edited:

John park hopper

IMO (for lack of a better word) the slob mentality is a reflection of a general decline (not all) in how parents teach there children to respect others, respect their surroundings, respect other peoples property. If parents don't teach this then there kids don't teach it to their kids and the cycle goes on. Disney is just a microcosm of society; drive down any highway and look at the trash, go to a sporting event and see all the trash left in the bleachers, go to the beach and see the trash left behind. I've hiked in the Rockies and found beer cans at a beautiful waterfall. Can Disney afford to hire more staff sure --will they-- probably not. Most people the trash doesn't bother them or they are oblivious to it.

Last edited:

NickMaio

but here's the thing, you (not you personally, general use) keep coming back. The Op themselves is complaining and saying she is planning another trip.

You can express dissatisfaction until the cows come home but until it effects the bottom line, it's like peeing in the wind. all that's going to happen is you get wet from the splash back.

Oh and when I mention to people that they are still going, the number one response is "oh I had a good time but....."

now I haven't seen these park wide overflowing trash cans in the 20 years I've been going, that's not to say others have not. When I mention this I've also been told that it's because I go generally during the slower seasons. who knows. I posted pictures of my last trip in August at Peco's bills for lunch. not one gross trash can in the bunch and I definitely never looked behind my seat on the bus. again not saying that these issues are not happening.

What I am saying is for a multi billion dollar company, complaining on a message board is not about to effect real change. it is really simple in my mind, if I felt that Disney is really getting dirty and nasty, I certainly am not giving them another 4 to 5 thousand. just my opinion.
We started to go less....we used to every year and we would spend 80-90% of our time in WDW parks.
Now we go every 2-3 years and spend 20-30% of our time in WDW.
Yes the bottom line matters to any company.

Don't get me wrong - - - there are many aspects of WDW that we love - - which is why we keep going back.
I personally feel that my experiences have changed over the years - - - things that were less frequent to see or experience in the parks are become more often and almost expected now.

I express my dissatisfaction to WDW and in these boards. After all, is that not the SOLE purpose of a message board. To share about our experiences ?????????

NickMaio

IMO (for lack of a better word) the slob mentality is a reflection of a general decline (not all) in how parents teach there children to respect others, respect their surroundings, respect other peoples property. If parents don't teach this then there kids don't teach it to their kids and the cycle goes on. Disney is just a microcosm of society; drive down any highway and look at the trash, go to a sporting event and see all the trash left in the bleachers, go to the beach and see the trash left behind. I've hiked in the Rockies and found beer cans at a beautiful waterfall. Can Disney afford to hire more staff sure --will they-- probably not. Most people the trash doesn't bother them
------------Most people the trash doesn't bother them - - - Never really thought of that.

thomas998

Moreover complaining directly to Disney is pointless. We had one trip where we had continued issues at the resort. I foolishly wasted my time sending off a letter when we got home because the problems impacted our trip. What did my wasted time get me? A form letter response that clearly was sent by someone simply pushing a button because it didn't even address the problems we had.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom