WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

Daxiegirl

""This week's Disney made wedding cake is not exactly my fave trend. It's a croquembouche, which is tasty, but just not the way I'd go with my cake. I know it's super trendy right now...so, to each his own. I do think the butterflies are pretty.""

Ya, me neither. That cake seriously looks like meatballs....which I actually love too, hmmm...:angelic: I bet it tastes awesome though!

The Haunted Mansion cake looks yummy too.

I had such a craving for cake (from rereading this board) that yesterday I spent my day off making chocolate cupcakes with dark chocolate frosting AND choco chip cookies. My frosting didn't thicken like I'd hoped so now I have enough left over to fill and frost a cake later. My kids are loving me right now, lol.:inlove:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
""This week's Disney made wedding cake is not exactly my fave trend. It's a croquembouche, which is tasty, but just not the way I'd go with my cake. I know it's super trendy right now...so, to each his own. I do think the butterflies are pretty.""

Ya, me neither. That cake seriously looks like meatballs....which I actually love too, hmmm...:angelic: I bet it tastes awesome though!

The Haunted Mansion cake looks yummy too.

I had such a craving for cake (from rereading this board) that yesterday I spent my day off making chocolate cupcakes with dark chocolate frosting AND choco chip cookies. My frosting didn't thicken like I'd hoped so now I have enough left over to fill and frost a cake later. My kids are loving me right now, lol.:inlove:

That would be kind of funny though... a tower of meatballs.

I was supposed to make a cake for a friend for this weekend, but I had so much going on that I had to back out. Yet, I still have all of the supplies to make a lemon cake. I'm really trying to be good and cake tasting wasn't in my plans...but I need to do something with all of this butter, whipping cream, cream cheese, and marshmallows. Hmmm...maybe for Monday and I'll just make everyone else do the tasting and bring the leftovers to work.

Lyndee Dunfee

I am looking for a cake idea that would cost about $50. I was hoping for a more adult ariel cake. Do you think this is possible or have any o you seen one? Thanks.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I am looking for a cake idea that would cost about $50. I was hoping for a more adult ariel cake. Do you think this is possible or have any o you seen one? Thanks.

Welcome WDW Magic!!! :)

For $50 - they could likely jazz up a 6" or 8" basic cake like the one pictured below...
8or10inch.png

These kinds of cakes start in the $23-35 range, but decorations will increase the cost. The pro- you'll be getting more cake for the $ and you will likely come out under $50. The cons- these cakes often don't taste as good as the fresh custom cakes and the decorating often looks like they just popped a few things on there- i.e. no real cohesive design concept.

If you're interested more custom decorated cake...a mini cake or mini wedding cake is your best bet to stay in your budget. I think if you combine something like a sea life cake (i.e. something with shells and coral) and add in a few Little Mermaid type elements...i.e. maybe she left behind a snarfblatt or a dinglehopper in all that coral...you could have a more grown up Ariel cake. Here are some custom cakes (big and small) that have design elements that could factor into your cake as well as some less childish Ariel cakes...

8626767688_acd13f8bfa.jpg

8625648709_a5d1b75442.jpg

8626757038_8e34e10a1f.jpg

8625656163_f4f4d8ca44.jpg

OK- there are probably more cakes in this thread, but this is a good base to give you some ideas.

Lyndee Dunfee

Welcome WDW Magic!!! :)

For $50 - they could likely jazz up a 6" or 8" basic cake like the one pictured below...
8or10inch.png

These kinds of cakes start in the $23-35 range, but decorations will increase the cost. The pro- you'll be getting more cake for the $ and you will likely come out under $50. The cons- these cakes often don't taste as good as the fresh custom cakes and the decorating often looks like they just popped a few things on there- i.e. no real cohesive design concept.

If you're interested more custom decorated cake...a mini cake or mini wedding cake is your best bet to stay in your budget. I think if you combine something like a sea life cake (i.e. something with shells and coral) and add in a few Little Mermaid type elements...i.e. maybe she left behind a snarfblatt or a dinglehopper in all that coral...you could have a more grown up Ariel cake. Here are some custom cakes (big and small) that have design elements that could factor into your cake as well as some less childish Ariel cakes...

8626767688_acd13f8bfa.jpg

8625648709_a5d1b75442.jpg

8626757038_8e34e10a1f.jpg

8625656163_f4f4d8ca44.jpg

OK- there are probably more cakes in this thread, but this is a good base to give you some ideas.
Thank you!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
OK- I feel like I've been shirking my cake responsibilities. I've passed up making 3 separate cakes over the last few weeks and am dreading the cupcakes I've been "voluntold" to make later on this week. I've been trying super hard to focus on my diet and fitness of late, so looking at cakes doesn't come easy for me right now. Still, I'm going to try and disregard how tasty all of these look and pass on a few pics...

Snow White themed mini wedding cake from BW bakery - $25

10371706_10152431760921119_6380124014176718385_n.jpg

*the person who bought this supplied the bow and apples.

This is a mini wedding cake done by the GF bakery. I think it was $40 or 45, which seems like a lot for a cake like this...

This next one is one of the most popular Tinkerbell designs for the 3D white chocolate topper. Original- no, but definitely one of my faves as far as repeat designs go. Surprisingly, this was only $100.00.

tink-cake.jpg

And then finally, a wedding cake. It's a take on the Mickey wave...the states are where the couple hails from, but I'm trying to figure out if the wave on the top layer are duck foot prints. i.e. is this supposed to be a nod to Donald and are there hidden Donalds stamped in there that I just can't see? Anyone have any thoughts? I could be wrong, but I see a hint of a Donald face stamp around the state of Maine. Or maybe I'm imagining it.

311758745a9710143c80fd2796367457.jpg

Daxiegirl

Those totally ARE duck prints. Way Cool! I love when they do that stamping effect. It looks so classy.

The Snow White cake is super cute too. I wonder where they got the decorations and what they are made of?

Mmmm, cake!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Those totally ARE duck prints. Way Cool! I love when they do that stamping effect. It looks so classy.

The Snow White cake is super cute too. I wonder where they got the decorations and what they are made of?

Mmmm, cake!

I think the Snow White décor is plastic. No clue where they got them though...I haven't seen any décor kits like this. Then again...it may not be a kit. They may have found some red plastic apples and a bow separately. Still cute.

Betsyboo

Hi @HouCuseChickie Hope you are well. Quick question, and I admit I didn't go through the last few pages, but have there been any changes for delivery to PORS/POFQ? Last I recall you could pick cakes up at the food court at PORS and needed to call the PORS number not Boardwalk. Is that still the case? Thanks! PS are you still going to be in WDW in November? I'd love to meet you!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hi @HouCuseChickie Hope you are well. Quick question, and I admit I didn't go through the last few pages, but have there been any changes for delivery to PORS/POFQ? Last I recall you could pick cakes up at the food court at PORS and needed to call the PORS number not Boardwalk. Is that still the case? Thanks! PS are you still going to be in WDW in November? I'd love to meet you!

Everything is still the same for PORS. So yes, you'd call the PORS #, but your cake will be made by the BW bakery. It appears that pick up is also the same.

We're still on for November...I'm just having a hard time getting psyched for it since I have to get through some pretty insane stuff at work in October in order for me to make it to November. I think our dates overlap at some point (Nov 7-12) so we can definitely try. :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
A little cake update...

An anniversary cake delivered to Rose & Crown - $53
14155243717_b00a90c510.jpg

And this is what happens when your cake collapses in transit...
14338399171_b3795ed460_n.jpg

This was being delivered to AOA. They did call the person and tried to make good by replacing it with this...
14155074778_112da20630.jpg

I think the original cake was $50.

Slipper dessert at CRT $12.50
14155238057_c3d229de02.jpg

And a cake delivered to San Angel Inn...not bad considering they use an outside vendor. They charged $23 for this one.
14340096892_64a7cbc05b.jpg

And finally...a wedding cake...
11c976c9ca647c534ca4639e506ff3a6.jpg

This concept could easily be used for a special occasion cake and I just love how they can easily work in hidden Mickeys.

Betsyboo

Everything is still the same for PORS. So yes, you'd call the PORS #, but your cake will be made by the BW bakery. It appears that pick up is also the same.

We're still on for November...I'm just having a hard time getting psyched for it since I have to get through some pretty insane stuff at work in October in order for me to make it to November. I think our dates overlap at some point (Nov 7-12) so we can definitely try. :)
Thanks @HouCuseChickie Yes, our dates do overlap I'll be there 11/8 to 11/16.

Daxiegirl

Oh man, it would be hard to take having a cake collapse like that after all kinds of planning.

LOVE that Mickey wedding cake. Neat colour combo too.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Yes, I know...I've been MIA on here of late. Work is crazy and I started a new fitness routine that is taking up so much of my free time. It's a good thing, but it's been taking the place of my daily WDW Magic Disney fix...among other things. Still, I saw a few cakes on the Disney wedding blog that are worth sharing...

This first one is for that DHS fan or classic Mickey fan...

ec951d37c1a169aceb524939145d3e08.jpg
93132d44413e44d7e32aa27f6eccb7f3.jpg

4a324ec2d445609b5b8d024f4488e350.jpg

This cake above could easily be turned into a single tier special occasion cake.

This next one is just spectacular!!! LOVE IT!

7b0ccdc64d997d6afed3d55b86e829e8.jpg

362c5bbcb408a712221941c77aebda9e.jpg

It's similar to the dragon cake previously posted, but this time, we have Cinderella castle on the reverse...in black to create a shadowy effect. I can't see them doing this for anything but a wedding, but it's still awesome!!!

And finally, a hatter style cake...
171ef75344fb1f93112110e03ca08dc2.jpg

ca7a3304ed7755f2f5d7436b36dfa421.jpg

This obviously also could easily become a 1 tier cake. Just remember that hatter cakes cost more than a basic round.

LMHopp

Here is a picture of my cake. It is for mine and my husband's 50th birthday. We celebrate a day apart. I ordered through the cake line to be delivered to 50's Primetime for our birthday dinner. I splurged because it's a big birthday, my first vacation in years, and I recently went into cancer remission. I knew it would be more than the average cake price, but I don't care. :) It is chocolate with chocolate buttercream icing. Everything is edible on the cake. The Cinderella is for me. Mickey for both of us. The Cheshire cat on the front is my husband's favorite character. I was more than pleased with it. It was an 8 inch. We had plenty for our party of 8, got to share with our waiter, and had leftovers. The total cost, mostly because of the characters, was $110. I loved it.

Attachments

• fordisneycakeblog (2).jpg
    fordisneycakeblog (2).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 117

afm81986

@HouCuseChickie you seem to be the resident cake pro :) I emailed wdw.magickingdomcakes@disney.com for a mini cake for my daughter for her birthday dinner at BOG with the following request: I would like the Minnie princess 2 tier mini cake but I would like it to look as if Minnie is dressed as Belle. I would like the top tier to look as if it is the bodice of the dress like the attached picture and then the bottom tier to just be a continuation of the dress with the ribbon bunting being the highlight of the tier with a couple of the classic belle red roses on the dress. I would love if Minnie could have just her classic bow but in yellow to match the dress with a small tiara in the front middle of the bow. I provided the below pictures (ones that I had found on this thread) as examples of the bodice and dress bunting that I was referring to. I received a response that to be quite honest has me taken back.

The response I received was:
I heard back from the bakery and unfortunately due to the complexity of the request we cannot accommodate this in a ‘mini cake’. They can do this in a larger cake if you wish, but it would be much grander. Let me know what you decide and I will be happy to assist!

WHAT???!!! all of these intricate cakes I've seen on here and they are saying they cant make it look like belle's dress? So I responded and said:
I am wondering, what bakery did you request the cake from? I suppose my confusion is because the examples given were cakes that were created by Disney and both mini cakes. I have also seen many of the mini cakes done in far more intricate detail, can you ask them if there is something they can suggest that would be both belle princess themed and a mini two-tier cake? I am open to both tiers just being yellow with some lighter color yellow lines drawn on to appear as the ribbons from her dress and I'm not opposed to taking away the tiara, I guess knowing what the specific issue is would help me come up with a more suited design for the cakes size. there will only be three of us and one of us does not eat cake so I would hate to waste so much cake by having to order a bigger cake. I am open to suggestions that they may have but I would think that they would be able to accommodate at least a yellow mini cake with a couple of the ribbons from the Dress on both tiers. I suppose I'm just a little taken back by the refusal with seeing so many other recently done cakes of more intricate detail. Please let me know if I should perhaps reach out to a different bakery within WDW that can handle the more intricate designs that I have seen done or if this bakery has some suggestions that would be helpful.

Her response:
This was a response from the Disney bakery that handles all the cake requests for the Magic Kingdom. I do know they used to do more intricate mini cakes but have stopped for the most part. I have seen if there is any way they can accommodate your request and I will let you know what they say. My apologies for the inconvenience.

SO, I guess I will wait and see what they come back with...sorry for the lengthy post, I just couldn't believe this :( I have been so disappointed with my experience with WDW so far, wishing for some of the "magic" so many others rave about!! Not a great first timer experience so far though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom