WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

morgan22

Wow..just read this entire thread from start to finish....some amazing cakes.
I'm in the process of organizing my parents' Ruby wedding anniversary trip for August and wanted to order a cake for their Anniversary dinner at Cali grill.
I just emailed the contemporary cake address not expecting a reply for days .... And Brian replied immediately - considering I am in the UK and it would have been be 5am in Orlando I am blown away...
Can't wait to see what he recommends x

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Alrighty...cake update time!!!

First off, I was going through my draft emails at work...looking for something work related that I possibly misfiled...and I found this beauty. It's a Donald themed mini wedding cake. I guess I must have saved it back when I was looking for ideas for our last set of cakes. Considering Donald is my fave character, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!

Second, I guess I missed these a few weeks ago. Here we have a couple of Olaf themed mini wedding cakes.

This person was also kind enough to share some cut cake pics. I mean, as pretty as the outside is...it's nice to see a yummy looking cake on the inside as well...

I believe both of the cakes above were made by the Contemporary bakery and were $50 each. Crazy, but the price is so high due to a $15 per cake charge for the Olaf.

Next cake was done by the GF bakery. The person just wanted something with a castle theme and this is what they got. It was $88 + room delivery charge.

It appears from this angle that they illuminated the carriage.

Plus a cut cake picture...

And Finally...from the Disney wedding blog's wedding cake Wednesday...

This cake was made to look like the bride's gown...
16d46732e3be522b0c29c52ad5e87cd8.jpg

...but it had a little Disney-ish touch to it. I'm not sure if the bride's gown was a corset back, but this tie hidden on the back of the cake would make me think so. Just love how it adds a hidden Mickey to the cake.

2bd7557e9d66cdbe2884673785cda277.jpg

Daxiegirl

The Olaf cakes are so cute!! I didn't think I'd ever like any with the 2-D characters on them but I could get used to this one-especially if it saves me from getting an expensive fondant piece created. (Still in love with the snowman one you had made for you...was going to switch them for the Frozen characters-so gorgeous.)

Really like the bride gown cake too. Cool idea. Mickey button at the back is a special touch:).

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
The Olaf cakes are so cute!! I didn't think I'd ever like any with the 2-D characters on them but I could get used to this one-especially if it saves me from getting an expensive fondant piece created. (Still in love with the snowman one you had made for you...was going to switch them for the Frozen characters-so gorgeous.)

Really like the bride gown cake too. Cool idea. Mickey button at the back is a special touch:).

Well, they won't sculpt 3D characters, so unless you pick from one of the molded 3D chocolate topper options, you're pretty much 'stuck' with 2D edible images. Some are done really well...to the point where I've definitely warmed up to them.

Donald cake is cute too. Had to actually click on the image box to view it. This new laptop is driving me crazy!:mad:

My phone does that to me. So annoying! :arghh:

Daxiegirl

I was thinking I would take figures with me providing I could actually find any but that Olaf is cute. My DD isn't that picky about whether or not she gets a cake for her Birthday at Disney so it's a win-win!

After I showed her those pictures above she actually said to me that she'd rather have a cake I made and proceeded to tell me how she wants it decorated. Gotta love her. (except we weren't really planning on having a big party for her at home this year since we'd be celebrating there :eek:)

I have a cake artist friend here that would make me an Olaf but then you are talking all kinds of crazy transport and stress to get it there and on the cake and I really just want to kick back once I'm finally there and ENJOY! (All the crazy planning I've been and will continue to do for this trip ahead of time better PAY OFF! :))

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I was thinking I would take figures with me providing I could actually find any but that Olaf is cute. My DD isn't that picky about whether or not she gets a cake for her Birthday at Disney so it's a win-win!

After I showed her those pictures above she actually said to me that she'd rather have a cake I made and proceeded to tell me how she wants it decorated. Gotta love her. (except we weren't really planning on having a big party for her at home this year since we'd be celebrating there :eek:)

I have a cake artist friend here that would make me an Olaf but then you are talking all kinds of crazy transport and stress to get it there and on the cake and I really just want to kick back once I'm finally there and ENJOY! (All the crazy planning I've been and will continue to do for this trip ahead of time better PAY OFF! :))

I've seen some figures on Amazon and Ebay, but some have overinflated prices. So, if that's the case...the 2D edible standup may be the better choice. That's so funny that she's dictating how the cake be decorated.

Olaf would be fairly easy to create in edible 3D form, but transporting him is another thing. I've thought about doing that a couple of times...making an edible topper from gumpaste/pastillage at home and trying to get it to FL in one piece, but it's just too much stress. It's bad enough that I hate transporting cakes, but trying to get a fragile edible figure to FL...not fun. I guess at least the planning can be lots of fun...but yea, nice to relax once there :)

oh my god.. I now want a Stitch cake! XD

There are a number of cute Stitch cakes in the thread. Some are here and there, but I know there are a handful on pg 1.

Cesar R M

I've seen some figures on Amazon and Ebay, but some have overinflated prices. So, if that's the case...the 2D edible standup may be the better choice. That's so funny that she's dictating how the cake be decorated.

Olaf would be fairly easy to create in edible 3D form, but transporting him is another thing. I've thought about doing that a couple of times...making an edible topper from gumpaste/pastillage at home and trying to get it to FL in one piece, but it's just too much stress. It's bad enough that I hate transporting cakes, but trying to get a fragile edible figure to FL...not fun. I guess at least the planning can be lots of fun...but yea, nice to relax once there :)

There are a number of cute Stitch cakes in the thread. Some are here and there, but I know there are a handful on pg 1.

definitively will browse the entire thread! :>

PrincessNelly_NJ

So, I'm wanting to order a cake for my older sister when we go in October. But I'm not sure what a good cake idea might be. Any ideas?
She is turning 26 and hasn't been to Disney since 1998! :jawdrop: Shocking, I know.
She was pretty much obsessed with Goofy when we were kids and Halloween isn't too far after her birthday. So I thought maybe those might be good ideas??? :confused: Idk, maybe something girlie and pretty??? :confused::confused::confused:
I don't want it to be a "kiddie" cake but still incorporate Disney if you can understand what I mean.
Help!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So, I'm wanting to order a cake for my older sister when we go in October. But I'm not sure what a good cake idea might be. Any ideas?
She is turning 26 and hasn't been to Disney since 1998! :jawdrop: Shocking, I know.
She was pretty much obsessed with Goofy when we were kids and Halloween isn't too far after her birthday. So I thought maybe those might be good ideas??? :confused: Idk, maybe something girlie and pretty??? :confused::confused::confused:
I don't want it to be a "kiddie" cake but still incorporate Disney if you can understand what I mean.
Help!

They might be able to do something like a Mickey delight or a Mickey wave, but incorporate the Goofy stamp...either for the whole thing or a few random Goofy heads hidden within all of the Mickey heads. At least I as pretty sure they had a Goofy stamp. They could put edible flowers on the top. If they don't have a Goofy stamp that they can work into the Mickey heads...you could always have them do a small 2D edible standup image of Goofy into the flowers...maybe even with a note on white chocolate like "Welcome Back." There is also the option of the 3D white chocolate Goofy. He's more $$$, but if you just have him trimmed/edged in silver or gold, it gives it a much more mature look.

This cake is a Mickey delight style...
8625642863_b314ccf00f.jpg

This is a Mickey wave...

Both are very Disney without being childish...IMO. Just some options. :)

PrincessNelly_NJ

They might be able to do something like a Mickey delight or a Mickey wave, but incorporate the Goofy stamp...either for the whole thing or a few random Goofy heads hidden within all of the Mickey heads. At least I as pretty sure they had a Goofy stamp. They could put edible flowers on the top. If they don't have a Goofy stamp that they can work into the Mickey heads...you could always have them do a small 2D edible standup image of Goofy into the flowers...maybe even with a note on white chocolate like "Welcome Back." There is also the option of the 3D white chocolate Goofy. He's more $$$, but if you just have him trimmed/edged in silver or gold, it gives it a much more mature look.

This is a Mickey wave...

I really like the second one. I guess I can email them about the goofy stamp?

Cesar R M

This is a Mickey wave...

question, on these detailed hard-looking crust cakes.. how strong and hard is the outer layer?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I really like the second one. I guess I can email them about the goofy stamp?

Which bakery do you plan on working with? It certainly can't hurt to reach out to them now to find out what they have, but definitely wait to put in your cake order until you're closer to your trip.

question, on these detailed hard-looking crust cakes.. how strong and hard is the outer layer?

I'm assuming you mean the fondant. While it does firm up some after being placed on the cake, it's not really a hardened coating. It's a sugar dough and before added to the cake...it's kneaded out and then rolled with a rolling pin. The texture at this point is similar to things like Play-Doh. Depending on the fondant recipe and the weather conditions (i.e. humidity or lack there of can impact this), it may harden up some, but for the most part- it's fairly soft.

Not everyone loves fondant. I think some of it is because not all fondants are created equally. Some don't taste very good, some stick to the roof of your mouth, and some are just too sweet for some people. Still, it's a wonderful decorating medium and I find Disney's fondant to be pretty tasty and have decent mouth feel...i.e. no sticking to my mouth. It's not as good as my own homemade fondant :) but I still like it. And for those that don't like fondant, there is a decent layer of buttercream beneath the fondant (buttercream is like the glue bonding the fondant to the cake)...so some people just peel it off.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So, a small cake update...

Mini cake- Halloween/Haunted Mansion themed...
395aef96-621c-4cc0-b5a6-ebfa40d0575e_zps069f937d.jpg

I think the person supplied the dogs...and they're supposed to be guard dogs. Call me crazy, but when I'm thinking 'hounds of Hell' I'm just not thinking Border Collies. ;)

Here are some other angles of the cake...
d8b2e65d-8a2e-4b33-ab43-41aa1f9e5b95_zps41df9348.jpg

c69de872-6002-4555-9750-867af8a2118d_zps54882264.jpg

This week's Disney made wedding cake is not exactly my fave trend. It's a croquembouche, which is tasty, but just not the way I'd go with my cake. I know it's super trendy right now...so, to each his own. I do think the butterflies are pretty.

29f8685da45f44d97bedbc49353c1483.jpg

That's all for now...have a great Memorial Day Weekend :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom