WDWFigment's August 2009 Photo Trip Novel

PREFACE: Trip Report or Russian Novel?

If you’re like me, you probably scrolled from top to bottom of this post to see its length and determine, based upon said length, whether it was worth reading. When you scrolled, you might’ve seen that it’s pretty long. However, unlike most trip reports that people seemingly drag on for several years, this report is here in its entirety right when posted. One option is clicking the report, letting it load for a couple minutes, then coming back and scrolling through the pictures, I took 4,547 so there should be plenty here, and skipping my commentary. The pictures are really far more interesting than what I have to say, anyway.

Another option is that, rather than attempting to read it in full right now, you could treat it as one of the other trip reports, and read it in increments. To that end, I have divided it into chapters for your reading pleasure. Perhaps you could print out a copy, and read it before bed each night for a week. I promise it’ll put you to sleep!

Also of note is that I am posting this trip report in multiple locations (admitting loyalties to more than one Disney forum may sound like treason to some, but how many of you really only check this board?). Two of these locations are photo-specific boards. As a result, this report goes on tangents at times about photography. I try to keep these tangents as brief as possible and in lay terms, but these aspects of the report may not appeal to all audiences. Just including this as fair warning.

Further, if you're interested in the photography here and would like EXIF data for the pictures, it can be found on the Flickr page for each image that is on Flickr (donated by little watermarks that read “Bricker”). To access said data, click the picture, which will take you to Flickr. EXIF data can then be found by clicking the "More Properties" link in the lower right hand corner.

If you would like to read our previous trip reports, check out the following links:
August 2007 Trip Report
November 2007 Engagement Story
August 2008 Trip Report
November/December 2008 Trip Report
August 2009 Pre-Trip Report

Anyway, enough with the notes—enjoy the show!

CHAPTER I: The Calm Before the Storm

The trip started out as all of our trips (well, most, as we do fly out of Chicago-Midway sometimes) do, with an early morning trip to the Indianapolis International Airport. Once we arrive and check our bags with Southwest, we make the pilgrimage to McDonald’s for some delicious breakfast. McDonald’s is actually one of my favorite places to eat, but due to highly persuasive reports, I have learned that I will suffer a quick and painful death if I eat there more than twice per year. Accordingly, we generally only eat at McDonald’s at the airport prior to our WDW trips. I figure the 10 or so years each visit takes off our lives is well worth it.

08122009002284.jpg

After the delicious breakfast, we were posed to take on the world (yes, surprisingly, we were not on our deathbeds). We headed over to the Southwest gate and awaited our flight. Always the fashionista, Sarah took a nap in her leopard-print Snuggie. She had come down with a fever the day before the trip, and was on antibiotics at the time, so the rest was necessary so that we would be able to conquer the parks each day. I sat 24 chairs apart from her, weary of what onlookers might think of the highly fashionable Snuggie.

Our strategy to scare away other travelers to Orlando worked, as we were able to secure the front seats in the plane. As usual, we snapped some ridiculous pictures of ourselves on-board. However, after the second picture, a flight attendant spoiled our fun, informing us that several passengers complained about the flash. I’m not really quite sure how this was possible, as she had been in the front of the plane for both pictures (where no passengers were located) and I was bouncing the flash, so there should have been minimal affect on anyone behind us. Still, I understand the desire of not having flash photography on a plane, I just wish the attendants wouldn’t BS me about it. They may take me for a fool, what with my Figment plush and mouse ears, but looks can be deceiving. Well, somewhat deceiving...

When we arrived in MCO a little early at around 1 p.m., we rushed off the plane, and headed in some random direction we presumed to be that of the Disney’s Magical Express counter. For young people, we must have terrible memories, because this invariably happens every time, and every time, we end up backtracking, and asking for directions. Upon hearing the directions, we have an "ahh, yes" moment where we recall where the DME counter is located. Perhaps next time we’ll either remember its location or take the time to figure it out, before rushing around like chickens with our heads cut off.

08122009002394.jpg

After finally getting our bearing about us and making our way to the DME line, we boarded the bus for All Star Sports (hereinafter A.S.S. From the same great Disney marketing acronym team that brought you Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor!). A.S.S. was actually not my first choice for a resort (is it anyone’s?), but I accidentally booked there when making reservations, rather than at All Star Movies. Not a huge deal as they are both fairly similar, but I wanted to get some nighttime shots at All Star Movies, at which we have never previously stayed. The lesson to be learned is do not book your room reservations with multiple browser tabs open. Focus on the goal.

08122009002317.jpg

After a stop at Coronado Springs Resort, which looks nice from the outside, we arrived at A.S.S. (okay, I will drop the acronym now) at around 2 p.m.. We checked in, went to our room, and reorganized our carry-on bags and removed some items so that we had only our camera gear and other necessary park accessories that we would need for the Studios. However, before we would head to the Studios, we had a bit of a trek....

08122009002314.jpg

The trek occurred because we planned on buying Annual Passes, but in order to get the DVC discount, we needed DVC Member IDs, which we did not have. The trek began by heading to Downtown Disney, where we stopped at Earl of Sandwich for some delicious Italian subs. Sarah always raves about this sandwich, and I was too lazy to properly peruse the menu, so I just ordered the same thing as her. Big mistake. While I normally like Italian subs, this one did not compare to whatever sandwich I normally order. I attribute the lacking taste to the fact that the sandwich did not have an opaque dressing (I realize Italian sandwiches often don’t). Any experienced sandwich eater will tell you that mayonnaise, or a mayonnaise-like product, is a necessary component of any delicious sandwich. After we consumed our mediocre sandwiches, we began walking in the 128 degree heat (at least it felt like that, I believe the actual temperature was 94 degrees) to Saratoga Springs Resort, where we needed to pick up our new Disney Vacation Club membership cards that conveniently had not yet arrived in the mail.

We have stayed at Saratoga on our past two summer trips, so we are familiar with the walk. However, in the past we would make it at night, when it was cooler, and often after trips to Pleasure Island, the experience of which inexplicably made the walk seem more bearable. In the middle of the day on a hot and humid day, with Sarah being a bit under the weather, the walk was far from pleasant (unless you enjoy soaking your shirt with sweat!). While taking the reliable and convenient bus service from Downtown Disney to SSR would have been an alternate option, we weren’t in the mood for an hour wait for something that we could accomplish ourselves in about 20 minutes.

We arrived at the DVC preview center at Saratoga to the shocked gazes of Cast Members who were surprised that we made the journey by foot. After a short wait during which I snapped some pictures of the beautiful murals in the atrium (I’m not sure if this is what DVC actually calls the room, but I need to call it something) and we drank several cups of water to rehydrate after sweating out several gallons of water, we received our Member cards. We were now one step away from becoming Annual Passholders! However, the voyage was not over.

08122009002395.jpg

Last edited:

disneygirl1

Tom, you and Sarah take some of the best freaking pictures I have ever seen!!! I sure wish I had that skill, but then again, if I had a better camera, maybe I could... I actually saw your report on the Dis boards last night, but opted to read and respond here!! Thanks for sharing, awesome report as always!!!

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Great pics. Very imaginitive. Must be those Liberal Arts degrees.;)

Haha, I guess they are helping out after all! ;) :p

Tom, you and Sarah take some of the best freaking pictures I have ever seen!!! I sure wish I had that skill, but then again, if I had a better camera, maybe I could... I actually saw your report on the Dis boards last night, but opted to read and respond here!! Thanks for sharing, awesome report as always!!!

Thanks for reading! This is my primary "Disney home" online, but I have branched out to a couple photo-specific places because our photography sub-forum here rarely has any posts.

dvdarvas

Tom, thanks for the trip report. It helps to fill that void between visits to the World. Your pictures are awesome and always seem to set the bar higher. I have been using a Rebel, but am upgrading in the coming weeks. I was planning on moving up to a 50D, but after your darkride comments I'm trying to figure out how I can go 5DMkII instead. I guess part of my DVC fund will now be going into the 5DMkII.

yankspy

I had a quick question. How long did you have your shutter open for that shot of Spectro from the train station?

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Tom, thanks for the trip report. It helps to fill that void between visits to the World. Your pictures are awesome and always seem to set the bar higher. I have been using a Rebel, but am upgrading in the coming weeks. I was planning on moving up to a 50D, but after your darkride comments I'm trying to figure out how I can go 5DMkII instead. I guess part of my DVC fund will now be going into the 5DMkII.

Thanks for reading. I would actually not do that. In fact, I didn't do that--I went with a more conservative choice for my camera (only getting the D90) so we could still afford DVC. I guess I look at it this way: staying in nice accommodations or getting a few better pictures (because other than dark rides, it's not going to help much). You might also consider what lenses you would have to purchase if you got the 5DmkII instead (since it's full frame). Also, what lenses do you currently have? I would always suggest increasing your lens catalog before moving up with the camera body. Have you looked into the T1i? I have heard that outperforms the 50D in some regards. The D700 is more a dream for me than anything--there are so many better uses of my money, in my opinion. I just don't think going full frame brings that much new to the game for the cost.

Just some food for thought.

jjbuster2

We no longer had to carefully use 10 day no-expiration park hopper tickets over the course of three trips. We could now go to the parks every day of our trips! What a feeling!

Love the Trip Report and Great Pictures (do you ever get tired of hearing that?). I know what you mean about the AP's....I got hooked on the freedom of popping in for a few hours on arrival day and the morning of departure day. We did 3 week long trips on those passes plus one 10 day extravaganza! Think we got our money's worth :lol:

I'm contemplating a trip report after our September 26-October 3rd; if you read it don't be too critical of my weak photos. :lookaroun Say, along those lines, can you recommend a descent point and shoot camera...I'd love to have one like yours but I can't possibly afford it or manage a day at WDW lugging it around without breaking it. :wave:

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Love the Trip Report and Great Pictures (do you ever get tired of hearing that?). I know what you mean about the AP's....I got hooked on the freedom of popping in for a few hours on arrival day and the morning of departure day. We did 3 week long trips on those passes plus one 10 day extravaganza! Think we got our money's worth :lol:

I'm contemplating a trip report after our September 26-October 3rd; if you read it don't be too critical of my weak photos. :lookaroun Say, along those lines, can you recommend a descent point and shoot camera...I'd love to have one like yours but I can't possibly afford it or manage a day at WDW lugging it around without breaking it. :wave:

Thanks for reading. I will have to check out your report. I have not read a whole lot about P&S cameras in a while, but I know the Canon G series (G9, G10, recently announced G11) are the top of the line. I think generally, Canon and Panasonic are pretty good for P&S cameras. Don't quote me on that. The G series definitely is great, though. You can quote me on that.

Great TR and pics as always. I need to hire you to follow me and my family around in October and take pics. :ROFLOL:

Thanks for reading. Hey, that could be arranged!

dvdarvas

Thanks for reading. I would actually not do that. In fact, I didn't do that--I went with a more conservative choice for my camera (only getting the D90) so we could still afford DVC. I guess I look at it this way: staying in nice accommodations or getting a few better pictures (because other than dark rides, it's not going to help much). You might also consider what lenses you would have to purchase if you got the 5DmkII instead (since it's full frame). Also, what lenses do you currently have? I would always suggest increasing your lens catalog before moving up with the camera body. Have you looked into the T1i? I have heard that outperforms the 50D in some regards. The D700 is more a dream for me than anything--there are so many better uses of my money, in my opinion. I just don't think going full frame brings that much new to the game for the cost.

Just some food for thought.

Tom, thanks for your words of wisdom. You are correct, I would need to upgrade a few lenses, but not too much. I purchased most of my lenses in anticipation of going to a high end prosumer so I wouldn't have to start over. When I compare the 5DmkII vs. Bay Lake Tower I think you have a valid point about how to spend my money. My wife and I are looking to purchase 250 points in BLT and finance as little as possible. I have looked at the T1i, but have decided on the 50D after reading the comparisons and reviews from 50D and T1i users. I know it now includes video (as does the 5DmkII), but I have no need for this function as I already have an HD video camera.

tink68

Thanks for reading. I will have to check out your report. I have not read a whole lot about P&S cameras in a while, but I know the Canon G series (G9, G10, recently announced G11) are the top of the line. I think generally, Canon and Panasonic are pretty good for P&S cameras. Don't quote me on that. The G series definitely is great, though. You can quote me on that.

Thanks for reading. Hey, that could be arranged!
:lol: If I was a rich person you would be hired. But....well you know. :rolleyes:

350ceo

Another home run of a trip report! I can't decide who are the king and queen of trip reports; you and Sarah or HollyBelle and Brett. I can never pull myself away from reading either one. Do you feel any sense of a friendly competition?

Sweet photos as always. Do you use the self timer for the late night photos of the two of you or a remote you manage to hide from the lense?

I think Sarah should take up videography instead. That way we can get sort of a directors cut of the trip showing all the work that goes into setting-up "the shot" behind the scenes! :sohappy:

Wishes for a speedy return to WDW for you both.

crashnuke

Excellent TR and extremely detailed. Do you keep a journal or do you pull it together from memory? I thought my wife was the only one that adored Cosmic Rays. We ate there 3 times in July during our 7 day trip. Sunny Eclipse cracks her up. One thing I noticed is that neither of you wear Disney themed clothes? What up with that?

rtiller

Great report Tom. I always love looking at your pictures on the POD thread. I feel a bit inferior thinking about our upcoming trip with my P&S and pocket size tripod (it opens to a full size though so I don't have to lug around a big one on my back like you :) I can't imagine that's any more fun than it looks). Regardless the pictures were great and It's always fun to see what you come back with from WDW.

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to do so.

P.S. DVC is better than any camera in my opinion.

Tinkerbella16

Wow! All I have to say is AWESOME report! Your pictures are amazingly beautiful, all of them...great job!

My afternoon at work just went a whole lot quicker than usual...thanks!

I cannot wait to be in november!

:wave:

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Another home run of a trip report! I can't decide who are the king and queen of trip reports; you and Sarah or HollyBelle and Brett. I can never pull myself away from reading either one. Do you feel any sense of a friendly competition?

Sweet photos as always. Do you use the self timer for the late night photos of the two of you or a remote you manage to hide from the lense?

I think Sarah should take up videography instead. That way we can get sort of a directors cut of the trip showing all the work that goes into setting-up "the shot" behind the scenes! :sohappy:

Wishes for a speedy return to WDW for you both.

I had never thought of any rivalry between HollyBelle & Brent and us (at least until you said that!) She writes great reports as well. I don't think there really is any sense of competition, though.

As for Sarah getting into videography--I don't see that happening any time soon. Not her cup of tea, and we definitely don't need to buy more toys!

Excellent TR and extremely detailed. Do you keep a journal or do you pull it together from memory? I thought my wife was the only one that adored Cosmic Rays. We ate there 3 times in July during our 7 day trip. Sunny Eclipse cracks her up. One thing I noticed is that neither of you wear Disney themed clothes? What up with that?

I put together the trip from memory, but am greatly assisted by the 4,500+ pictures we take. They provide a pretty good rough outline. As for Disney clothes, although we do have some, they are more for casual 'around the house' wear rather than going out.

Great report Tom. I always love looking at your pictures on the POD thread. I feel a bit inferior thinking about our upcoming trip with my P&S and pocket size tripod (it opens to a full size though so I don't have to lug around a big one on my back like you :) I can't imagine that's any more fun than it looks). Regardless the pictures were great and It's always fun to see what you come back with from WDW.

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to do so.

P.S. DVC is better than any camera in my opinion.

No need to feel inferior; I've seen a lot of great shots with P&S cameras, and the most important thing is capturing the moment. Any camera can do that!

Wow! All I have to say is AWESOME report! Your pictures are amazingly beautiful, all of them...great job!

My afternoon at work just went a whole lot quicker than usual...thanks!

I cannot wait to be in november!

:wave:

Thanks for reading; glad we made the day go quicker for you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom