WDW with a 3MO Old? (AKA What Have We Gotten Ouselves Into?)

sigsegv

Last January DW and I made plans with her parents to spend a week in Jan 2003 at WDW. We booked a 2BR villa at BWV and were all ready to go. Next thing you know, we went and got pregnant in February. :rolleyes: Our daughter was born in mid-October and will turn three months old while we're there (1/11 - 1/18). She's our first child. All three of the doctors (including her pediatrician) we talked with about this have said that there's no problem with bringing her there as long as we're not letting every stranger touch/handle her (and are people really that rude?). Because of this, we're really not very worried about the health implications, but as the day gets closer and she seems to be getting fussier, we're starting to panic about the plane flight, the strange surroundings, eating out, being out with her for extended periods... etc., etc... What have we gotten ourselves into?!!?! :veryconfu

Do any of you parents out there (probably chuckling as you read this...) have any advice (Wha? People with advice for new parents? ;) ) for us on dealing with baby's first real trip? (Spending the night with Grandma and Grandpa doesn't quite count.)

We've read the Infants and Toddlers FAQ at WDWIG and we're doing most (all?) of the suggestions listed there. We're renting a minivan to travel around. We're bringing our own stroller and car seat. DW and I are very laid back about our park visits, frequently taking breaks in the middle of the day. We're also very concerned about disturbing other visitors.

She loves to sleep in her car seat and will usually sleep most of the time from around 8pm to 4am. We've taken her out to dinner with us a handful of times and they've mostly been pretty okay. I don't remember seeing this in the FAQ, but we're planning on bringing her pack 'n play too (she sleeps in there pretty well). Heck, with all her stuff, DW and I won't actually be able to check any bags for ourselves...

Anyway, any advice for first time (AKA, hyper) parents dealing with an infant at WDW?

Thanks.

-sig

mickeysaver

Originally posted by DisneyPhD
Be sure not to get the baby too hot or dehydrated or in the sun. (under 6 months shouldn't use sun screen, but we did when we took our 3 month old the beach.) Test it out ahead of time to be sure of no recation.

Just a note from a pediatric health care worker here....

There was a reversal in the opinion about the use of sunscreen on infants under age 6 months about 2 years ago. The American dermatologist group had a study published in the AAP news magazine that stated the use of sunscreen was ok for infants above the age of 6 weeks. They still suggested the best care for an infant this age was to avoid the sun for extended periods of time, but stated that there was not enough risk of reaction to the sunscreen to advise patients not to use it. So, please feel free to use something like the Eucerin Sunscreen or any infant/toddler sunscreen that you might find on the market. Also, please do test the sunscreen before you travel. Apply some at least 3 different times to your child prior to travel. If your little "Binky" reacts to it, then you need to talk with your pediatrician.

One other consideration......
If you are formula feeding your infant, tap water can be ok to use, but the tap water in Florida tastes horrible. I always tell the parents that are traveling down there to carry Nursery water with them. Nursery water is basically tap water that has been sterilized and had certain minerals added to it to make it better for the baby. Just a thought.

Have a great trip! Mickey

Upvote 0

mickeysaver

Originally posted by Sherm00
I think takeing a 3 month old baby to disney is absolute insane. Our baby is due in june and we are not planning to go down untill he/she is 4 or 5 so they can enjoy it too. at 3 months old they are not going to even remember going. remember you have become parents and you should have more responsibility to that littly tiny baby then draggin her through the parks. I think it's kinda cruel. All the baby is going to want to do is eat and sleep. Going to see family is one thing, but dragging the baby on a big trip like that at 3 months is ir-responsible. a first trip to disney is special indeed so wait till there older and they know who mickey is and can enjoy it with you. being parents is a big responsibility that needs to be taken seriously.

No offense meant here, but being a pediatric health care professional, I feel ok about telling people that take good care of their children that it would be ok to travel to WDW at age 3 to 4 months. As long as there are enough adults to watch the child and carry all the goodies that it takes to make it though the day, go for it. Sure there is a bit more planning, a bit more to lug about, and a need for more breaks, but we are talking more about this being a family gathering in one of the most family friendly places on earth. No, the baby won't have a clue that she has been to WDW, but there most likely will be some extra cool pictures of her with Mickey and the crew. I say go for it! Enjoy the trip, if they plan well, it should be nothing shy or a spectacular and safe trip for all. JMHO Mickey

Upvote 0

sigsegv

Original Poster
Originally posted by mickeysaver
If you are formula feeding your infant, tap water can be ok to use, but the tap water in Florida tastes horrible. I always tell the parents that are traveling down there to carry Nursery water with them. Nursery water is basically tap water that has been sterilized and had certain minerals added to it to make it better for the baby.
Interesting. Yes, we are formula feeding. (DW needed to take some powerful drugs soon after the birth and didn't want to share with the baby. ;) ) You're right, though, the water does taste horrible. I've never heard of Nursery water before. Then again, I've never been looking for it either. Is this something you can get at a local (to WDW) supermarket or other store? I'd hate to have to carry that down with us one the flight too (and we are renting a vehicle anyway).

Thanks.

sig

Upvote 0
Originally posted by sigsegv
Interesting. Yes, we are formula feeding...
You know, with this statement, you're going to get all those "helpful" people foaming at the mouth again ready to give you advice on how best to raise your child.

Of course, if your wife was nursing your child, you'd get another group of people complaining about the inappropriateness of feeding your child in public.

Sigh...you just can't win, can you? :(

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

I know it is way more expensive and all, but you might want to go with the pre-mixed formula for the trip.

This is assuming that you will be making a grocery stop before you get to the hotel.........

On another topic:
I nursed all 3 of mine in public and no one ever said anything to me. Perhaps I sent off "don't mess with me" vibes. But I was ready with a comment if it ever happened--and I never got to use it.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Yellow Shoes

On another topic:
I nursed all 3 of mine in public and no one ever said anything to me. Perhaps I sent off "don't mess with me" vibes. But I was ready with a comment if it ever happened--and I never got to use it.

We never got a comment, but we got dirty looks.

I've heard that a more recent phenomenon is the "nursing police" who accost those who are bottle feeding. Has anyone experienced that?

Yellow Shoes, I have to hear the comment...

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

OK--remember that my youngest is 9, so my righteous indignation has cooled somewhat.

It centers around the fact that feeding children is why these are hanging on my chest. So the question would be something like, "What did you think they were for?"

The other one was something to the effect that Jesus was breast-fed, gotta problem with it?

Upvote 0

VillianFan

When we traveled with an infant, we used the nursery water to make bottles and our baby took it fine. If I remember correctly and it was a few years ago, we got it at either a supermarket or pharmacy type store, like CVS. It was in the same area as the formula, baby food and other baby supplies. We bought it in gallon jugs, just like you buy regular bottled water.

Good luck on your trip!

Upvote 0

figmentmom

"It centers around the fact that feeding children is why these are hanging on my chest. So the question would be something like, "What did you think they were for?"

The other one was something to the effect that Jesus was breast-fed, gotta problem with it? [/B][/QUOTE] "

Good answer! Wish I'd thought of something similar when I was nursing my kids!

On another note, there is no better excuse for sitting down in a quiet, shady nook than feeding your baby - bottle, breast, whatever!:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom