WDW Wildlife

hp200lx

Original Poster
Okay guys, I am a total bird lover, so pardon my nerdiness - but we're going to have a little ornithology lesson here. Impress your friends that you will actually KNOW what the birds are - instead of just making stuff up. Here are descriptions and names of the more commonly found (and commonly misnamed) birds on WDW property, let me know if you have any questions.

The tall white birds with long necks and pointed bill = Great Egret
The tall greyish-blue birds with long necks and pointed bill = Great Blue Heron
The small white birds with long necks, sharp pointed bill, yellow feet = Snowy Egret
The small white birds with pink faces and long curved beaks = Ibis
The black birds with long curving neck, swims with its head and neck up out of the water (like a snake), and sits on the bank with its wings outstretched = Comorant
The black birds with long *white* curving neck and head, swims with its head and neck up out of the water (like a snake), and sits on the bank with its wings outstretched = Anhinga
Black obnoxious birds that are almost iridescent = Common Grackle
Small Black bird with red patch on the tip of its face, very large greenish-yellow feet = Common Gallinule/Moorhen
Tall grey bird with red patch on its head = Sandhill Crane

Thanks for all the info! I've been wondering what some of the wdw birds were. Now for my next visit I can actually sound like I know what the heck i'm talking about when I see them.:lol:

Mecha Figment

my question is. WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE HAND FEEDING THE SQUIRLS AND DUCKS!!!! there are signs all over saying do not feed the animals. By feeding them you in turn make them more aggressive and they will eventual hurt somebody. you're doing those animals a bad thing by doing what you did. You're lucky that squirl didn't bite you because they have been known to do that because people like you had fed them. and when they encounter somebody who wont give them what they have bite them. Please don't feed the wild animals.

Sorry thats a pet peave of mine.

Craig & Lisa

We've also seen amadillos (sp), and a snake by BB that had the entrance/exit shut for a few minutes. Deer, Harry over by Splash, I don't know the name of the birds, but they are the ones that dive and catch the fish by using their beaks as spears. In the small lake between Future World and World Showcase there are soft shell turtles.

hp200lx

Original Poster
my question is. WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE HAND FEEDING THE SQUIRLS AND DUCKS!!!! there are signs all over saying do not feed the animals. By feeding them you in turn make them more aggressive and they will eventual hurt somebody. you're doing those animals a bad thing by doing what you did. You're lucky that squirl didn't bite you because they have been known to do that because people like you had fed them. and when they encounter somebody who wont give them what they have bite them. Please don't feed the wild animals.

Sorry thats a pet peave of mine.

I was handed a nut by a cast member working at the nut stand. Only reason I fed it.

marine1

so we cant have alligator on the menu

their is such a thing as gator on a stick. no its not chicken and they just call it that. sometimes we have a group that fries up gator and actually put it on a stick. taste pretty good to. :ROFLOL:

EPCOT Explorer

We always see the crazy birds, those things kill me at how tame they are!
And bunnies/squirrels and of course the lovely anoles that the kids try to catch...:eek:
Here are a few pics that I have snapped...

An alligator in the water in DAK at the Dawa Bar area.

100_1557.jpg

Pesky birds at Epcot trying to con me out of my churro..

100_1195.jpg

Crazy bird at MK FL (the bird... really)

100_0245.jpg

Ducks at Epcot

10A.jpg

Black crane (?) at MK

100_1640.jpg
\

That last one is an Anhinga.Last time at WS we saw several rabbits.:)

DisneyGigi

\

That last one is an Anhinga.Last time at WS we saw several rabbits.:)

Where we live we have "Blue Herons", as least I think that is what they are, but everyone calls them cranes.
We had some of the "snowy white egrets" fly through a few years ago and land in our field but that is the only time I have ever seen them here. Very pretty and unusual sight.
Psst... I didn't hand feed the birds, but it tried to snatch my churro out of my hand as I was unwrapping it! :ROFLOL:

goofntink

We see the MK parking lot deer herd pretty much everytime we go. Also we see the Mk bunny everytime too.Will see if I can find the pics.:lookaroun

LudwigVonDrake

A bunch of years ago we saw an alligator on the backside of the Broadway section of ASM. We heard something rustling in the bushes and he/she came lumbering out and we went the other way :lol:

Ms Brer Rabbit

I love all the WDW wildlife!! I've seen...

A bald eagle perched in a tree outside the WL Villas
An armadillo that ran across the path and into a bush by the Epcot bus stops
An owl perched on the ESPN Zone arcade sign on the Boardwalk (he sat there for almost 15 minues!)
A big, irritated snake who did NOT want to be moved elsewhere by the Beach Club villas groundskeeper
A few alligators here and there at DAK and Beach Club
All kinds of squirrels, rabbits, ducka, and wading birds

Tiggerfanatic

I could have sworn we saw a coyote when we down there last week. We were on the bus from AK and had just turned into the road to the T&T Center, and it was just sitting there under the monorail. The bus driver kept saying there were no coyotes in Florida, but we have one stuffed in our family room, and this animal looked just like it. It definitely was NOT a dog. Anyone else ever see any coyotes in WDW?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom