WDW "What Is This?" On Google Maps/Earth

Raineman

Original Poster
I'm sure many of us have been on Google Maps/Earth and have checked out the backstage areas at the parks to see if we can find something weird or unusual, and there are always things that we wonder what they are. Maybe this can be a thread where we post a Google picture of something at WDW that we do not know the story behind, and someone else can fill us in on what it actually is.
This is my first one-these two large buildings bordering the CM parking lot at Epcot, behind China/Norway/Mexico. They look as big or bigger than most show buildings, but they are don't appear to be show buildings. Maybe CM costuming/break rooms/storage?
epcotbackstage.JPG

stratman50th

Google isn't great about synchronizing their overheads so it seems you never know when a photo was taken. This could be yesterday, or 5 years ago. If I look for my house using Google maps on the phone, it's there along with the neighbors on each side. On the computer, It's all empty.

kap91

I'm sure many of us have been on Google Maps/Earth and have checked out the backstage areas at the parks to see if we can find something weird or unusual, and there are always things that we wonder what they are. Maybe this can be a thread where we post a Google picture of something at WDW that we do not know the story behind, and someone else can fill us in on what it actually is.
This is my first one-these two large buildings bordering the CM parking lot at Epcot, behind China/Norway/Mexico. They look as big or bigger than most show buildings, but they are don't appear to be show buildings. Maybe CM costuming/break rooms/storage?
View attachment 472214
The building near test track is the main cast entrance, lockers, etc

not sure what the other one is.

I've actually had a question similar to this I've wanted to post.
79067B9C-0F5F-4C63-84E3-BA8FB4120A16.png

I'm not sure what the square elevated roof line is in this complex. Diamond hotshot, Liberty tree tavern, and the jungle cruise restaurant/Adventureland veranda are surrounding it, but idk what actual center space is - especially for being so tall...unless the jungle navigation co is just way bigger than I thought.

The Mighty Tim

View attachment 472214

I think one of those buildings (possibly the top one) is costuming. I remember it from the Undiscovered Future World tour.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
The guide took us into the upper building during the Undiscovered Future World Tour. It's a CM building and holds costuming, lockers, break rooms among other things.

DisAl

Google isn't great about synchronizing their overheads so it seems you never know when a photo was taken. This could be yesterday, or 5 years ago. If I look for my house using Google maps on the phone, it's there along with the neighbors on each side. On the computer, It's all empty.
If you use Google Earth Pro the date stamp on the latest photo of the area he is asking about is 11/16/2018 and it does show those buildings.

DisAl

The building near test track is the main cast entrance, lockers, etc

not sure what the other one is.

I've actually had a question similar to this I've wanted to post. View attachment 472224
I'm not sure what the square elevated roof line is in this complex. Diamond hotshot, Liberty tree tavern, and the jungle cruise restaurant/Adventureland veranda are surrounding it, but idk what actual center space is - especially for being so tall...unless the jungle navigation co is just way bigger than I thought.
Just guessing but that may be the kitchen area for all of those surrounding restaurants. Skipper Canteen and Liberty Tree Tavern share a kitchen but don't know about the others. If you zoom in on the photo I think you can see a number of vents on top of the building.

Sweet Thing

View attachment 472214
The top is the cast entrance/costuming building. The bottom is the entertainment base/rehearsal space/costuming.

bingie

The top is the cast entrance/costuming building. The bottom is the entertainment base/rehearsal space/costuming.

This.

Cast entrance has all non-entertainment costuming, lockers, learning center, cast services, cast barber shop and offices... Wayy backkk cast on light-duty would stick masks to sticks here too.

The bottom building also has (had) the old double decker buses (under the bottom canopy)...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If you use Google Earth Pro the date stamp on the latest photo of the area he is asking about is 11/16/2018 and it does show those buildings.

That's if you use 3D mode. The latest 2D aerial is March 2020, which basically shows the same thing.

Pepper's Ghost

That link is way cool! You know that neighborhood on property just NE of MK? There are names associated with those homes! Anyone know those names? Just curious.

1590633643923.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom