WDW website update features Test Track concept art!

I was just about to say that.

They couldn't get the brakes to work right, as I remember. Perhaps a search of the forums would be interesting here. I am sure that there are threads about it... (no time to look right now). But that is what I remember. The delays were crazy long.

The problem was mostly the software. They had to completely re-write it because the system would crash with just 4 cars loaded into the system. There's more computing power per car than there is on the space shuttle. For the late 90's, the technology was struggling to meet the design. That's primarily why the opening was delayed for so long.

There's a really fascinating history about TT done by Martin's Videos!

c-one

Agreed--Martin's video on the history of Test Track is pretty fascinating. Watch it: http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=713

I, too, remember visiting Epcot multiple times with Test Track still under wraps. The first time I finally got to ride it, it broke down twice while we were in the queue, making the wait even longer... and we were in the boring outdoor single-rider line, not the cool indoor queue! Let's hope the rehab is less, er, cursed than the original build.

WDWFREAK53

Looks like the updated cars are Chevy Volts. ...should be a really fast paced ride in a boring extended-range electric vehicle. /sarcasm

I'm assuming you haven't driven one. I drive a Camaro SS and while it's no 8-cylinder beast, the Volt is extremely responsive. It's no Prius.

the-reason14

For some reason I have a bad feeling about this. I want my old Test Track back just spruced up.

I kinda feel this way too. I'm never a big proponent of change, but this actually seems like a good thing. I can't wait to see it again. It may be awhile though. With Disney being strict with their fastpass policy and our APs expiring next month, I'm waiting for a significant change in new rides/attractions/lands before I want to go again. So it'll be some years, but it's ok. I may be a cp next year so we'll see. :D

Lee

Adventurer
Vary TRONish.
Oh, you ain't seen nothin' yet. It gets more TRONish.

The delays were crazy long.
Planned to open in 1997....didn't actually get done until 1999.

I have one of the original project team jackets with the "97" on it.
Couple years ago a Test Track CM actually stopped me to say the date was wrong. I explained that no, that date was actually kinda right. It wasn't the jacket's fault the ride got held up.:shrug:

c-one

Couple years ago a Test Track CM actually stopped me to say the date was wrong. I explained that no, that date was actually kinda right. It wasn't the jacket's fault the ride got held up.:shrug:

CMs who don't know their history make me :(

t3techcom18

I was just about to say that.

They couldn't get the brakes to work right, as I remember. Perhaps a search of the forums would be interesting here. I am sure that there are threads about it... (no time to look right now). But that is what I remember. The delays were crazy long.

The problem was mostly the software. They had to completely re-write it because the system would crash with just 4 cars loaded into the system. There's more computing power per car than there is on the space shuttle. For the late 90's, the technology was struggling to meet the design. That's primarily why the opening was delayed for so long.

There's a really fascinating history about TT done by Martin's Videos!

Yeahhh, that's pretty much the reasoning why. If you go searching through the forum's search engine, like several years ago or so, you'll see there's more to that story but that's the basic overview of it.

Lee

Adventurer
Anything you can tell us about the outside? Are they just touching inside elements? or are there any plans to add structure and/or lighting to the outside track?
I am unaware of any major structural changes to the exterior. Could happen, but I've not heard about it yet.
:sohappy:
Dont get too excited. There are Tron-ish elements to a section of the ride, but it isn't actually Tron and isn't all that substantial.

I_heart_Tigger

I worked at the Cdn Pavilion in 97 and they were using CM's at that time to ride test. I got stuck in the hot room for 15 minutes. I thought I was going to melt. We were yelling by the end begging to be let off...it was torture. I still consider that the scariest part of the ride.

Tom Morrow

CMs who don't know their history make me :(
What do you expect when the turnover rate is so high due to half of the ride's staff being college program CM's who are only there for a few months?
Cool. But so far, I haven't seen anything to be too terribly excited about... :shrug:
At the very least, we should be excited that Test Track is getting some love. I'm skeptical too, but the very least we can hope for is that it will seem like a new attraction again and not the embarrassing state it was in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom