WDW Vs Universal

Frees Fan

For those of you who don't venture off the Disney property, do you ever go to any other parks anywhere? Are there any parks around your area that you don't go to because you miss the "magic"? If so, you are really missing a lot of fun and technology break throughs. IMHO...seeing different parks with an open mind and having fun is what it's all about...not just Disney or USO/IOA but, other parks as well. I used to go to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg and King's Dominion in Virginia. BG and KD have some thrilling rides. But sadly, they are both lacking the newer rides to keep people coming back. The Six Flags park outside of DC is kicking their butts in terms of new thrill rides. I'm glad that Disney is building Everest and I think it's gonna be awesome once it's finished. I can't wait to ride it! I just think you are cheating yourselves by not venturing to other parks to see what's around and coming down the pike..so to speak.

I don't think there's anything wrong in poking fun at your competition in media ads. Look at BK vs. McDonald's, Ford vs. Chevy, etc. It happens all the time. I don't think it's bad mouthing per say....just some friendly jabs.

Just have fun at any park you go to...that's what it's all about anyway. :)

Legacy

I don't know why people get so upset about the commercials. Universal has realized that it isn't Disney and offers a totally different experience. The commercials (especially fairy tales and pixie dust) is a marketing ploy to show that. Also, Universal can do it because they don't have an 75 year-old idealology to stick to. Universal is growing up and away from what it was, and that WAS a Disney immitator. Disney doesn't stoop so low because they can't. If they could though, believe me they would.

mrtoad

Frees Fan said:
For those of you who don't venture off the Disney property, do you ever go to any other parks anywhere? Are there any parks around your area that you don't go to because you miss the "magic"? If so, you are really missing a lot of fun and technology break throughs. IMHO...seeing different parks with an open mind and having fun is what it's all about...not just Disney or USO/IOA but, other parks as well. I used to go to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg and King's Dominion in Virginia. BG and KD have some thrilling rides. But sadly, they are both lacking the newer rides to keep people coming back. The Six Flags park outside of DC is kicking their butts in terms of new thrill rides. I'm glad that Disney is building Everest and I think it's gonna be awesome once it's finished. I can't wait to ride it! I just think you are cheating yourselves by not venturing to other parks to see what's around and coming down the pike..so to speak.

I don't think there's anything wrong in poking fun at your competition in media ads. Look at BK vs. McDonald's, Ford vs. Chevy, etc. It happens all the time. I don't think it's bad mouthing per say....just some friendly jabs.

Just have fun at any park you go to...that's what it's all about anyway. :)

I agree there is nothing wrong with going to other parks if you like. It is not like you are cheating on Disney by going. I just don't care for most thrill rides so I don't go to other parks near where I live. And When I am in WDW, I just prefer it and like staying there. I don't think someone is evil :fork: for going to the Dark Side. :animwink:

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
If you want a dirty park with the rudist people but great thrill rides go to Universal. Some of there rides are awesome and I dont mind going to ride them every once in a wild.

As DisneyFan 2000 said, that statement is quite unfair. Universal Orlando has the nicest and friendliest employees I've ever met. And about trash....I don't know where everyone gets this idea that trash is just everywhere around the parks. As a frequent visitor to the Universal Orlando Resort, I have not once seen what everyone describes. Sure, there's some trash here and there, but is Walt Disney World spotless? Take a look at Splash Mountain's queue, along with the ride, during your next visit.

Now, I will always love WDW the most, but I will also always be a loyal UO visitor. For people who think it's the worst place in the world, you are VERY wrong. Universal is always creating groundbreaking, state-of-the-art attractions, which is something Disney used to do. Just because Islands of Adventure has two coasters whose theming ends once the vehicles leaves the station doesn't mean the park and other attractions aren't themed. Marvel Super Hero Island takes us into the world of comic books, Seuss Landing transports us into the whimsical world of Dr. Seuss, and Jurassic Park is themed to make us feel like we're actually there. Universal Studios also has well themed areas, infact, I think the theming is better at USF than at the Disney MGM Studios. Oh, and you say the queues aren't themed? Try waiting in line at Revenge of the Mummy, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, MIB: Alien Attack, and Dueling Dragons if you take the time to visit UO anytime soon.

I am completely shocked at some of the posts stating that Universal could be compared to Six Flags. Not even Paramount Parks can be compared with them. I also don't like the fact that some people are making it sound like if they leave Disney property, they'll never be allowed back on. As others have said, there is more to do in Orlando.

Sure, Universal Orlando may not hold the magic that Disney parks do, but it is still a great place to visit. :)

I guess it's like that saying, "It's nice but, I wouldn't want to live there."

I suppose Universal is an OK place to visit but, I wouldn't stay for any extended period of time. Now, at Disney, I'd live there forever if they let me. I never grow tired of it.

boopuff

Universal is a been-there-done-that type park. It's also geared for the older crowed. Not much for the tiny bunch. Some of the attractions at Universal really show their age where rides at Disney are timeless.

Brooke

NemoRocks78 said:
I am completely shocked at some of the posts stating that Universal could be compared to Six Flags.

Me too. I don't think it's anything like Six Flags. I like Six Flags, they have some good thrill rides, but I don't think it can be compared to Universal Orlando which has the best themed attractions I've ever seen! Six Flags is more about the coasters and even though Universal has two very amazing coasters (which I believe to be VERY well themed - especially Dueling Dragons - even though Hulk is a better ride) it is more about great and immersive experiences that put you right in the middle of a movie, comic book, cartoon, etc.

Obviously different people like different things. This is a Disney forum, and Disney is far more popular all around the world, so of course most people say that they like it better. But just because Disney is great doesn't mean that Universal isn't. Just because Disney employees are nice doesn't mean Universal employees are mean and just because Disney has some great rides doesn't mean that Universal can't have better ones.

jackfrost

For all of you who have complained about universal slamming Disney in their ads and think Dinsey would never do anything like that have the wrong idea. Disney is good at making money and doesn't need to counter universal in their ads. They do that by attracting guests to their resorts. The bus and monorail systems gurantee that most resort guests will not rent cars, thus keeping them on disney property. The guests therefore eat, sleep, and shop in disney meaning their money stays there. Disney is also pushing for a new bullet train to go from Orlando International straight to Disney. This would come from tax payers money. Since the bullet train would go directly to Disney, guests would not even be exposed to any advertising or given any chance to spend money anywhere else but Disney. Disney is brilliant I will give you that. They are great at what they do, making money. Some of you seem to have the wrong idea about Disney and must remember just like Universal or Seaworld or any other business, they are here to take your money.

Kopp8699

DizneeFanatic said:
P.S. I'll take a delicious Disney churro over Unviersal's disguisting corn-dogs anyday.

Comeon people, can't we live in a world where Churro's and Corndog's get along and enjoyed by one and all? lol sorry I couldn't resist. :hammer: :lol:

Disney or Universal... hmmm.... BOTH! Why limit your experience? Have fun, that's what the theme park is there for. I love Disney magic but I also enjoy Universal a lot. On a side note, I have a season pass to Six Flags Great Adventure because I love going to amusement parks, and also I will be going to Cedar Point this summer for the third time and also Dorney Park.Picture it like this, if you like Coke, sometimes don't you enjoy having a Vanilla Coke :slurp: or Cherry Coke? Also sometimes can't you enjoy a Mountain Dew... a :gasp: Pepsi product?? Don't sweat the small stuff... Just let loose and have fun.

imagineer boy

The interesting thing that I've noticed lately, is that Disney will make ground breaking new concept, then Universal takes that concept and makes it better. For example:

First target shooting dark ride: Buzz. Universal Improvement over it: MIB

First motion simulator ride used in theme park: Star Tours. Universal Improvement: BTTF

First 3-D show in theme park: Captain Eo. Universal imrpovement: T2 3-D

EMV technology: Indiana Jones. Universal Improvement: Spiderman

See what I mean?

Michael72688

imagineer boy said:
The interesting thing that I've noticed lately, is that Disney will make ground breaking new concept, then Universal takes that concept and makes it better. For example:

First motion simulator ride used in theme park: Star Tours. Universal Improvement: BTTF

See what I mean?

yup, Universal is better!

Legacy

imagineer boy said:
Disney didn't invent the ride through shooter. There was one created in the mid 70's at a park in the mid-west. It wasn't laser, of course, but riders did have water guns to shoot things with.

LoriMistress

I've only been to Universal once when I was nine (1989) and I hated it. At the time they didn't have any rides and it was just the tour/studios and I was bored out of my gore. Though, I know things have changed drastically, I want to go there once to experience some of the rides.

grandmath

imagineer boy said:

See what I mean?

Yes we see that Universal is a follower, not a leader in terms of innovation. Disney builds the first type of those rides, then doesn't enhance them because they are bulding new things.

Even Mummy is a follower of RRC mixed with Pirates, with IJA.

OliveMcFly

I havn't been to Universal since Kong was taken out. I really loved that ride and now it's gone. I'm not sure if I could ever go back now. LOL

Kadee

DisneyGrl85 said:
I havn't been to Universal since Kong was taken out. I really loved that ride and now it's gone. I'm not sure if I could ever go back now. LOL
I LOVED Kong!!! I was SO upset that they removed that ride. They should have taken out Earthquake instead. It isn't that great. Kong was SO much better. ANd I loved the queue area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom