WDW vs Dubailand

Wilt Dasney

focus on whether or not DubaiLand will be able to stand up to WDW or any other Disney resorts on a design and service basis

If Kadaffi Duck is any sign of what's to come, I'd say they have a chance :lookaroun

465105.jpg

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I understand people's concenrs over security, and I am sure that it will affect many personal decisions on whether or not to go there. But I would really, really like to keep this discussion outside of that area, and focus on whether or not DubaiLand will be able to stand up to WDW or any other Disney resorts on a design and service basis, without getting into the political side of things.

Thanks!

I dont think you can discuss this topic without discussing the issue of security. It would be like discussing WDW and banning any discussion of heat, humidity, and rain. Its part of the environment, thus a significant part of anyones decision on if to go or not.

So, I would like to keep it in the discussion.:animwink:

RedSoxPirate

I'm not one for reading all seven pages above, so excuse me if this has already been said.

Guest service and location aside, let's not forget the branding that has gone into the Disney Parks. Dubailand won't have the draw of getting to meet your favorite cartoon characters or see your favorite movies come to life. If anything, I expect it should just be a fancier, more expensive Six Flags or Cedar Point.

... although maybe they'll have a Prophet Muhammed meet-and-greet or Saladdin and Nebuchadnezzar face characters roaming the park. :p

Disneysue

In the Parks
No
Explain to me again how this is even any type of issue at all? Disney is its own thing. Nothing will ever come close to matching it at all. Let alone one random weird theme (term used VERY loosely) park on the other side of the globe.

cloudboy

Original Poster
Let alone one random weird theme (term used VERY loosely) park on the other side of the globe.

But we don't know what kind of theme they will have. Things in the Theme Park world are much different now then they were 20 years ago. Don't forget that many of those Disney Imagineers which brought us rides before are now working outside the company, likely for those companies contracting with DubaiLand. I think it might be possible that they could come up with a cohesive theme.

OK, let's say that they pulled in someone like Cirque Du Soliel. With all of their set and theming experience. Woudl that perhaps be enough of something different to draw people?

JikoMarie

I'm not one for reading all seven pages above, so excuse me if this has already been said.

Guest service and location aside, let's not forget the branding that has gone into the Disney Parks. Dubailand won't have the draw of getting to meet your favorite cartoon characters or see your favorite movies come to life.

Well since you didn't read the thread, I will tell you that this has already been discussed. Also, I think you're wrong about it not including your favourite cartoon characters and not allowing you to see your favourite movies come to life. Just look at the connection to Marvel (for more information actually go back and read the thread).

Tigerdaly

As a resident of the UK and one of the 2 milion travellers to Disney resorts in the States each year I can only wonder at the size and ambitions of the Emiratee's.
I have been to Dubai on holiday and the one thing that is most obvious is there ability to ensure sucess at any amount of cost and funding.
One thing they will have done is there "theme park" homework. They will ensure that it will be up to the mark as far as quality and theatrics are concerned. You only have to look at there main water Park (Wild Wadi) and realise the technology barrier will be broken by there creations.
We are talking here of a country with the financial clout that builds without any need to know "how much".
You only have to look at the Palm projects and the World project to realise they are not a Six flags in the desert.
I will never stop coming to Florida cuz they people and climate are so wonderful and the Magic that Disney emits is second to none ................ however dont count out Dubailand just yet ................... after all Tiger Woods is building is first golf course at Dubailand and not Disney World that tell you of there ambitions.

mickster

The people and climate are wonderful? Which Florida have you been visiting?

:)

Ummm...maybe the Florida that has hurricanes every now and then, has frequent torrential rain, gets extremely humid in the summer months, and even dips to freezing temperatures at times?:rolleyes:

beachclubbasics

I think that WDW and all US theme parks in general have something to fear other than Dubailand...a possible recession (either US or worldwide). Let's face it, US parks are quickly pricing themselves out of reach for the average American and if we were to go into a recession, you could easily see atendance at any US theme park dip by 25% (or more). Even though Disney is offering value and moderately priced rooms, the park tickets cost the same, as does food, souvenirs, etc.

I've been to WDW almost every year since 1971...will be skipping next year's trip and will be going to TDL and TDS in 2009. If the current currency conversion rate between USD and Yen continues TDL will be a better value (though the plane flight will be the most expensive part of the trip). Eventually Disney Corporate is going to have to stem the tide of price increases (there were 2 this year alone for ticket prices) or they are going to be hurt much worse than Dubailand ever will hurt them.

It seems these days that there are as nearly many UK citizens in the park on a give day as there are US citizens...that is very telling (look at the conversion rate from USD to GBP.very telling). This is also true of new homeownership in the Orlando area. Guess who are mostly buying homes there?

beachclubbasics

forgot to mention..I don't know much about Dubai, but as a woman, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable there. Any female boardies out there.....how were you treated when you went to Dubai?

Legacy

I'm pretty sure you are just as safe in Dubailand as you are at Disney.

It's not like there are any real security measures enforced at Disney.

I mean, my goodness... they can't even stop the Heelies menace.

beachclubbasics

Have the Heelies taken over there? I hate those things. usually the kids who are using them crash into everything around them. And the parents just sit and smile as their kids crash into everything/everyone. Though why this surprises me I don't know. I've never seen a place besides WDW where paents seem to think it's OK to allow 5 year olds to run around all over by themselves (saw that A LOT in the Magic Kingdom..more important to hold your place in line for a ride than to keep track of your kids I guess).

Scooter riders tend to be just a terrorizing I suppose though..lol. Can't tell you how many we saw crashing through people around them.

I didn't know about how women are treated in Dubai...would you need to cover your face or wear more modest clothing (for me would only mean no shorts or pants..that type of thing).

DisneyYorkian74

I was reading through a few of the replies and i didn't see any mention of the stories that i saw online earlier today:

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener....aspx?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070321/marvel_entertainment_theme_park.html?.v=1

It seems as though this park is going to have a handful of Marvel themed rides and whatnot.

In the article it states that they're only investing 1 billion dollars into the park.

Isn't the place supposed to be twice the size of WDW?

I'm too lazy to do the research, but I'm almost positive Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Islands of Adventure were all built for around 1 billion dollars.

That's only 1 park, so how is this place going to fill all that land with only 1 billion dollars.

I also think that 1 billion dollars going into a theme park sounded like TONS of money back when Epcot was being built (1980's), but today I would say it's about the average amount of money a compay would want to invest in order to build a good/great park.

So what's up with all these posts saying that the company's pockets are "deep" and that money is no object when they're only investing a modest/average amount of money?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Could you point us to which part of which article you are referring to? :veryconfu

finger%20point.gif

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...rce=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y&bounce=y

Halliburton (NYSE: HAL) isn't the only stateside behemoth moving into Dubai. Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, and Captain America are heading out there, too. Marvel (NYSE: MVL) will license its comic-book characters to a $1 billion theme park that will open in Dubai come 2011. The equivalent of a billion bucks being invested by the Al Ahli Group for an amusement park?

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070321/marvel_entertainment_theme_park.html?.v=1
Marvel Entertainment Inc. has agreed to license its super hero characters, including Spider-Man and X-Men, to United Arab Emirates-based Al Ahli Group, which is developing a theme park in Dubai.
Al Ahli Group will invest $1 billion to build the park, which is scheduled to open in 2011.

JikoMarie

It says that the Al Ahli Group will invest $1 billion dollars for a theme park within Dubailand. First, they likely aren't the only investors and second, they are referring to the cost of one theme park not the entire complex.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It says that the Al Ahli Group will invest $1 billion dollars for a theme park within Dubailand. First, they likely aren't the only investors and second, they are referring to the cost of one theme park not the entire complex.

Ok, could you point to where it says "the Al Ahli Group will invest $1 billion dollars for a theme park within Dubailand" ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom