WDW vs DLR...my take

Ziffman

I did try BB, I was not impressed. It reminded me very much of the san angel inn. Great atmosphere, awful food.

The Blue Bayou has never really been known for being great food. It's definitely all about the ambience there. I've always found that to be a bit of a shame.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
I totally agree with this! I was a bit baffled as to why the OP rated the DL version as better (and he offered no explanation behind it).

I just like the Pirates layover. TSi has grown a bit stale, at least out west they made an attempt to freshen it up a bit. Neither is a great attraction at this point, but with the layover at least it offers something different.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
Number of attractions is not an indicator of a park's quality. If that were true, then most Six Flags parks would be considered superior to most Disney parks. It's based on the quality of the individual offerings as well as the overall experience. DCA may have more rides now than it did when it first opened, but a great many of those are still unoriginal "carnival"-type rides. Some are an out and out embarassment (such as Mullholland Madness, as well as the Maliboomer).

I agree with the number of attractions not equating to parks quality, however, I enjoyed both the maliboomer and mullholland madness. The rides are not individually themed, but they fit into the theming of the area nicely. Plus it is nice to have another thrill ride in Disney.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
How we felt about it: WDW is a better Vacation/Resort destination. DLR (well, specifically, Disneyland itself) is a better theme park and is a model for what WDW's MK could and should be.

We didn't get to see the World of Color... awww... I guess that means we hafta go back!!

Very well said. That is exactly how we felt.

Yes go back for WoC, you will not be disappointed.

devoy1701

How so exactly?? :veryconfu I have to say, I've never heard this logic before. How is "first" automatically "better"? I can think of plenty of attractions where I preferred the second version I experienced much more than the first, and vice-versa. The order in you ride something has nothing to do with which one ends up being perceived as better.

Number of attractions is not an indicator of a park's quality. If that were true, then most Six Flags parks would be considered superior to most Disney parks. It's based on the quality of the individual offerings as well as the overall experience. DCA may have more rides now than it did when it first opened, but a great many of those are still unoriginal "carnival"-type rides. Some are an out and out embarassment (such as Mullholland Madness, as well as the Maliboomer).

aren't we a bit smug??? :rolleyes:

Walt Disney1955

I just like the Pirates layover. TSi has grown a bit stale, at least out west they made an attempt to freshen it up a bit. Neither is a great attraction at this point, but with the layover at least it offers something different.

Okay a couple things. Other than the usual stuff like "MK" or "WDW" that we all know the meaning, it drives me nuts when there is lazy typing and all we see are initials. What is "TSi"?

Walt Disney1955

I wanted to get the chance to go to Disneyland this year but with my wife pregnant and the lack of funds we had to pass.

That being said I would LOVE to see DL considering it is commonly thought to be the better park of the two flagship parks. But a couple things stand out. Yes DL has Mr. Toad. But MK has Country Bears and Carousel of Progress which is something neither has in Anaheim and it's a shame.

Also one of my favourite attractions is Hall of Presidents. From all I've heard, "Great Times with Mr. Lincoln" isn't nearly as good.

_Scar

I appreciate this thread very much.

I am dealing with the question of pushing for a DLR vacation vs the normal WDW vacation and I'm torn.

At this point, I'm leaning toward WDW. DLR just seems like it can't offer up enough for a full blown vacation.

Walt Disney1955

I appreciate this thread very much.

I am dealing with the question of pushing for a DLR vacation vs the normal WDW vacation and I'm torn.

At this point, I'm leaning toward WDW. DLR just seems like it can't offer up enough for a full blown vacation.

Well just on theme parks alone there is a lot to do in the SoCal area. DL, DCA, Universal Hollywood, Knott's Berry Farms and Magic Mountain which is very comparable to the intense thrills of Cedar Point.

And I haven't even talked about Hollywood, the beaches, Santa Monica Pier, etc.

yeti

Just went to DL in late April. It was beautiful, lavish, and any other synonyms for pretty you could think of. But it wasn't WDW.

At DL I found myself feeling so much more confined and congested due to its smaller space and all the rides being packed together; I found it made it more arbitrary to rapidly get on a ride, get off a ride, and head to another before the crowds got unfriendly (yes, even during the off-season). At WDW, it feels much more spread out, making the lesser abundance of rides in WDW parks almost a good thing as you can get a better breath of fresh air and take in more signature Disney atmosphere no other theme parks can replicate (granted, I haven't seen WWoHP yet...).

WDW is so much bigger, with loads more things to do. The resorts at WDW are so much more abundant and thematic compared to the hotels of the DLR. Just compare a Birnbaum WDW guidebook to a Birnbaum DL guidebook, and you'll see what I mean.

The dining is unquestionably better at DW.

During my experience, I easily found the CMs a lot more shallow and cold than the ones at DW. That's not to say they weren't welcoming, they just lacked the general courtesy and cheeriness that makes the ones at WDW so...special. :rolleyes:

For nostalgia reasons, WDWs monorail beats out DLs by a long shot. Don't take that seriously, anyone. :rolleyes:

And frankly, I generally like the attractions a lot better in WDW than their DL counterparts. WDW Splash > DL Splash, WDW BTM> DL BTM, WDW ToT > DL ToT, WDW HM> DL HM, The Seas > Sub Voyage, Dinosaur> Indy (yes, crazy, I know). Not to mention all the awesome WDW originals like E:E, Epcot, Mickey's Philharmagic, the TTA, etc. Speaking of the TTA, I personally thought DL's Tomorrowland did not meet my expectations. The empty Peoplemover track and the lack of a cohesive theme made me wish I was in WDW's (Nemo in TL seems a lot worse to me than Stich and Monsters in TL).

And all the nostalgic value of WDW that biased my opinions.

DL is a nice place to visit, but WDW is a vacation kingdom. DL was Walt's original, but WDW is his pride and joy.

BeatDeadHorse.gif

I tried and tried, but this I simply cannot understand.

Wilt Dasney

And frankly, I generally like the attractions a lot better in WDW than their DL counterparts. WDW Splash > DL Splash, WDW BTM> DL BTM, WDW ToT > DL ToT, WDW HM> DL HM, The Seas > Sub Voyage, Dinosaur> Indy (yes, crazy, I know).

Not to be too pedantic, but The Seas isn't WDW's answer to the Submarine Voyage...20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was. From everything I've heard, it really was a superior version while it lasted.

Beating a dead horse. :)

ETA: I realized after I posted this that the Nemo projections make The Seas and Submarine Voyage more similar now than they used to be, so I guess the comparison isn't that far off after all. :eek:

Grizzly Hall 71

I don't understand the rant about DCA's Paradise Pier looking cheap. Hello it's based off the boardwalks in California. Those rides are themed perfectly to where they are. Maliboomer is great and I wish it would stay Muholland Madness fits into the theme perfectly. I don't understand. The rides fit perfectly. But then in DL you have Pirate's lair on Tom Sawyer Island which aren't even the sane league, not even the same sport. But that's ok right?

DCA was fine to me but hey.

Ziffman

Yeah after I posted that, it occured to me that might have been the reason you preferred DL's. :lol: Fair enough. :wave:

Ziffman

It's an animation of someone "beating a dead horse". I assume he/she was referring to the fact that this is another "WDW vs DL" thread. Personally I've never seen the issue that some people have with posting a topic that's been discussed before. Who cares as far as I'm concerned. If a topic is worth discussing, it's often worth discussing more than once. There are bigger things in life to worry about. :lol:

Ziffman

I don't understand the rant about DCA's Paradise Pier looking cheap. Hello it's based off the boardwalks in California. Those rides are themed perfectly to where they are.

I hear what you're saying, but I'm in the camp of the people who do feel Paradise Pier looks cheap. I can't speak for others, but here are my reasons for feeling that way:

1. It's true that the area is themed to be like a boardwalk in California, but what I object to is not so much HOW they went about carrying out that theming, but rather the CHOICE to theme it as such to begin with. This is probably an extreme analogy, but it would be like if they wanted to theme a section of the park to be like war torn Afghanistan. Sure, they could probably theme it accurately and people who supported it could argue, "Hey it's perfectly themed", but the bigger issue is WHY did they choose that as a theme? The fact that amusement parks were such a huge part of what Walt did NOT want his park to be almost makes Paradise Pier seem like a slap in the face to DL.

2. I'm a huge California history buff and have lived in CA my entire life (born and raised here), and one thing I can tell you is that seaside amusement parks are NOT a significant piece of California history or culture. To devote the biggest section of the park to that theme seemed like an "easy way out" for Disney in my opinion. I'm not saying I have the answers as far as what they could have built instead (that's why I'm not an Imagineer), but I do know that California has such a rich culture and history and much of what California is about has been all but ignored by a park that is SUPPOSED to be a tribute to California.

3. The thing that makes Disney parks so special is the uniqueness of the experiences they offer. There is nothing unique about Paradise Pier. It is a section of the park that makes Disney look like a Six Flags, and that's not at all what Disney is about.

Of course all of that is just my opinion. I could be wrong. :wave:

Enchantâmes

It's an animation of someone "beating a dead horse". I assume he/she was referring to the fact that this is another "WDW vs DL" thread. Personally I've never seen the issue that some people have with posting a topic that's been discussed before. Who cares as far as I'm concerned. If a topic is worth discussing, it's often worth discussing more than once. There are bigger things in life to worry about. :lol:
I'm a guy, and this topic is brought up once a week or more. So....
BeatDeadHorse.gif

_Scar

Well just on theme parks alone there is a lot to do in the SoCal area. DL, DCA, Universal Hollywood, Knott's Berry Farms and Magic Mountain which is very comparable to the intense thrills of Cedar Point.

And I haven't even talked about Hollywood, the beaches, Santa Monica Pier, etc.

DL and DCA really only appeal to me. I live in Florida so USF is superior in almost every way to it's Cali counterpart and I strongly disliked the Six Flags I've been to in Georgia.

If I were to travel that far, I'd almost rather do DLP. :shrug:

Grizzly Hall 71

I hear what you're saying, but I'm in the camp of the people who do feel Paradise Pier looks cheap. I can't speak for others, but here are my reasons for feeling that way:

1. It's true that the area is themed to be like a boardwalk in California, but what I object to is not so much HOW they went about carrying out that theming, but rather the CHOICE to theme it as such to begin with. This is probably an extreme analogy, but it would be like if they wanted to theme a section of the park to be like war torn Afghanistan. Sure, they could probably theme it accurately and people who supported it could argue, "Hey it's perfectly themed", but the bigger issue is WHY did they choose that as a theme? The fact that amusement parks were such a huge part of what Walt did NOT want his park to be almost makes Paradise Pier seem like a slap in the face to DL.

2. I'm a huge California history buff and have lived in CA my entire life (born and raised here), and one thing I can tell you is that seaside amusement parks are NOT a significant piece of California history or culture. To devote the biggest section of the park to that theme seemed like an "easy way out" for Disney in my opinion. I'm not saying I have the answers as far as what they could have built instead (that's why I'm not an Imagineer), but I do know that California has such a rich culture and history and much of what California is about has been all but ignored by a park that is SUPPOSED to be a tribute to California.

3. The thing that makes Disney parks so special is the uniqueness of the experiences they offer. There is nothing unique about Paradise Pier. It is a section of the park that makes Disney look like a Six Flags, and that's not at all what Disney is about.

Of course all of that is just my opinion. I could be wrong. :wave:

I understand a bit. But as people not from California we (well I) think of piers along that golden coast. I think of the big ferris wheel and coaster. With songs like California girls and such it makes you think about the beach. That's what Paradise Pier is, a celebration of those great parks at the beach. No matter how tacky it looked.

Easy way out? Na. They themed the an entire hotel to that entire section. Not to easy IMO. You have one of the longest coasters in the world with a pretty thrilling ferris wheel. Not to easy IMO.

Paradise Pier was cool to me. But hey I'm just a guest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom