WDW vs DLR...my take

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
Just returned from 4 nights at Disneyland resort, it was my first trip to the original and I have a couple quick thoughts.

- Comparing the overall experience I would say WDW wins out. The size of WDW just can not be overcome.

- DL is a much prettier park then MK. Fantasyland out there is a million times nicer then the one at MK. Orlando's ToonTown can not even be mentioned in the same breath as the one out west. They actually have a town, the character meets are way better, and overall it is just way nicer looking. New Orleans Square is awesome. TSI west is about a million times better then TSI east. IASW west is literally not even the same ride as IASW east, west is just so so much better. Main Street west is so much more charming then east coast. They have individual stores, with unique items, its not just one giant disney store. West SM wrecks the east coast counterpart. I could go on for a while like this.

- There are somethings the MK wins out on though. Our Splash is better, I actually prefer the design of east coast HM. Um, maybe there is less then I thought.

- California Adventure as it stands is a very weak park. Not on par with any of WDW secondary parks.

- The food situation out west is appalling. WDW is such a better dining experience. Even with the DDP conspiring to destroy WDW dining. I had one decent meal out west and that was at Napa Rose.

- Park Upkeep, I actually did not notice a major difference in this area. I know people complain a lot about WDW having a problem with maintenance, but rest assured they have the same issues out west.

- World Of Color is without a doubt the best show Disney has ever put on. It is simply stunning. I don't even know what else to say about it.

- Fantasmic east coast is way better set up. However fantasmic west coast is a better story/show.

- Magic Mornings are so dumb. WDW really does a better job with extra magic hours. MM means barely half of one park is open. All it does is wake you up at 6 am to go stand in line because there are so few rides to get on. EMH the whole park is open and you can actually beat the lines.

- Overall I loved my trip out west. But I will not be permanently altering my vacation plans to head out there every year.

Korfar

Thank you for sharing. We have not made the trek to DLR yet but want to some day. I look forward to experiencing the differences just as you have.

fosse76

Just returned from 4 nights at Disneyland resort, it was my first trip to the original and I have a couple quick thoughts.

- Comparing the overall experience I would say WDW wins out. The size of WDW just can not be overcome.

I have to disagree. Despite being bigger, I found WDW to be a weaker experience.

- DL is a much prettier park then MK. Fantasyland out there is a million times nicer then the one at MK. Orlando's ToonTown can not even be mentioned in the same breath as the one out west. They actually have a town, the character meets are way better, and overall it is just way nicer looking. New Orleans Square is awesome. TSI west is about a million times better then TSI east. IASW west is literally not even the same ride as IASW east, west is just so so much better. Main Street west is so much more charming then east coast. They have individual stores, with unique items, its not just one giant disney store. West SM wrecks the east coast counterpart. I could go on for a while like this.

Agreed!

- There are somethings the MK wins out on though. Our Splash is better, I actually prefer the design of east coast HM. Um, maybe there is less then I thought.

I wouldn't necessarily say our Splash is better. They are different, for sure. When you are more accustomed to one version, that automatically becomes "better" in your mind. Same with the Haunted Mansion.

- California Adventure as it stands is a very weak park. Not on par with any of WDW secondary parks.

Not sure about this. Thematically, you're right. Attractions-wise, it has a lot more than the other non-MK WDW parks.

- The food situation out west is appalling. WDW is such a better dining experience. Even with the DDP conspiring to destroy WDW dining. I had one decent meal out west and that was at Napa Rose.

Table Service, you're right. But they don't need it. There is nothing remotely special about the restaurants at WDW. Being from New York, I can get better-quality authentic food for cheaper. Southern California is no different. For me, the WDW restaurants aren't any different than an Olive Garden or Outback Steakhouse.

Counter Service seemd to be the same. Both resorts seem to serve the same, gross pizza and stale hamburgers. DLR's is more expensive, though.

- Park Upkeep, I actually did not notice a major difference in this area. I know people complain a lot about WDW having a problem with maintenance, but rest assured they have the same issues out west.

The rides seem to break down more at DLR than at WDW. But they go through more wear-and-tear at DLR so what can you do.

- World Of Color is without a doubt the best show Disney has ever put on. It is simply stunning. I don't even know what else to say about it.

They were still building it when I was there.

- Fantasmic east coast is way better set up. However fantasmic west coast is a better story/show.

The river was drained when I was there. But I hate Fantasmic. I don't get its appeal at all. It doesn't take a genious to project images onto water and call it a show.

- Magic Mornings are so dumb. WDW really does a better job with extra magic hours. MM means barely half of one park is open. All it does is wake you up at 6 am to go stand in line because there are so few rides to get on. EMH the whole park is open and you can actually beat the lines.

I didn't think it was worth the effort either. The problem is that DLR is very much a locals park, and you can't really do too much to alienate them by offering perks they can't enjoy. I was beyond disgusted that people who use a travel agent get priority seating at Aladdin, since they got the best seats in the theater.

- Overall I loved my trip out west. But I will not be permanently altering my vacation plans to head out there every year.

I think I'm going to trade-up a trip to WDW for DLR each year. I found DLR to be more charming than WDW, which seemed very much the product of a corporation.

devoy1701

I have to disagree. Despite being bigger, I found WDW to be a weaker experience.

agree with Fosse. DL has in 2 parks what WDW has in 4 parks. Park for park, I think DL has a better value and experience.

After visiting WDW 30+ times a year for the past 3 years, we LOVED our DL experience in Decemeber and rated alot of what DL had to offer as superior to WDW's offering of the same. We will definitely be heading back to DL sometime soon!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
I agree that if you were ranking the parks in a pound for pound fashion then DLR would come out ahead. But since that is not how you would book a vacation I find the overall size and different things to do at WDW to outweigh the charm and beauty of DLR. Much the same way Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather are the best p4p fighters in the world, if they fought a Klitchsko they would get beat. That's the way I look at DLR vs WDW.

Krack

I'm curious to know if you tried the Blue Bayou or the any of the Downtown Disney dining options. I know that when I lived in California, if I couldn't get in at the Blue Bayou, I would always just walk outside the front gate (or use the monorail) and try someplace like the House of Blues. I like Napa Rose, but I felt it was a bit overpriced (even by Disney standards).

devoy1701

I'm curious to know if you tried the Blue Bayou or the any of the Downtown Disney dining options. I know that when I lived in California, if I couldn't get in at the Blue Bayou, I would always just walk outside the front gate (or use the monorail) and try someplace like the House of Blues. I like Napa Rose, but I felt it was a bit overpriced (even by Disney standards).

Blue Bayou was my worst dining experience out at DL... :hurl:

Grizzly Hall 71

I'll give you Fantasyland and Toon Town but IMO TSi east is better. I think Space Mountains are about the same. DL's has a nice load area though. It's a small world is better there because it looks more fantasy like on it's own. Main streets are about the same. Sure they may all be connected but hey maybe the public wants a secondary way out during a parade while not having to walk on the crowded sidewalks.

DCA may not be better than the other WDW parks but it is surely a great park IMO. I think the Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh are better in WDW. And Thunder Mountain is better in WDW.

Just my 2 cents.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
I did try BB, I was not impressed. It reminded me very much of the san angel inn. Great atmosphere, awful food.

devoy1701

I'll give you Fantasyland and Toon Town but IMO TSi east is better. I think Space Mountains are about the same. DL's has a nice load area though. It's a small world is better there because it looks more fantasy like on it's own. Main streets are about the same. Sure they may all be connected but hey maybe the public wants a secondary way out during a parade while not having to walk on the crowded sidewalks.

DCA may not be better than the other WDW parks but it is surely a great park IMO. I think the Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh are better in WDW. And Thunder Mountain is better in WDW.

Just my 2 cents.

Main Street may be about the same until you step inside the stores...then DLs beats ours hands down in terms of theming. From the Coffee Shop and Magic Shop to their Emporium with their AA scenes, they have a much better Main Street. Not to mention they have an actual attraction in Main Street now allowing their Exposition Hall to live up to it's name (Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln).

Wilt Dasney

Main Street may be about the same until you step inside the stores...then DLs beats ours hands down in terms of theming. From the Coffee Shop and Magic Shop to their Emporium with their AA scenes, they have a much better Main Street. Not to mention they have an actual attraction in Main Street now allowing their Exposition Hall to live up to it's name (Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln).
Don't forget a Main Street Cinema that actually shows cartoons and a Penny Arcade that has coin-operated viewers! Main Street vs. Main Street is one of the most lopsided comparisons IMO. :)

fosse76

I think Space Mountains are about the same. DL's has a nice load area though.

Not even close. DL's Space Mountain is FAR superior. It's smoother and the on-board audio makes the experience even more immersive.

I think the Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh are better in WDW. And Thunder Mountain is better in WDW. Just my 2 cents.

Peter Pan is better at DL. The scenes are better and it seems "fresh." I think the Winnie the Pooh rides are about equal...though I didn't like that the vehicle "floats" throughout the entire ride at DL, whereas at WDW it only "floats" during the flood dcene. BTMRR was closed when I was at DL, but my understanding is they are mirror-images, so there wouldn't be any big differences.

The ont thing about DL is that many of the dark rides feel much shorter than their counterparts at WDW, but they weren't exact copies, which made the experience more worthwhile.

the-reason14

I agree with a lot of what the op said with a few exceptions.

- IMO, Space mt. is horribly boring and overyhyped in DL. Other than it's nice fancy lights, and music, it is a snoozefest. MK's is better because it's thrilling and lives up to what it is: a roller coaster.

- TSI, I think, is also better at the MK. The caves on Pirates Lair were really low and harder to navigate, atleast some of them were. I prefer the MK's but the DL one is nice too. I also think MK's offers better shade, but it may be because of the times I've visited.

- Main st. is better at DL imo, because like others have said the shops are unique, and because it's so small compared to the MK's and that you can barely see the castle on the other end, it feels authentic as if it were a real main st. Also adds to the charm of DL

- BTMRR is better in MK I think. DL's is a mirror image, but it doesn't have the flooded town scene.

- Splash mt. I'm torn. DL's is nice because it feels like a real log flume. However, they have a load of AAs in the ride that you can't really admire just because you float by the scenes too fast. MK's pace is better because it allows you to follow the story. But after doing DL's splash, then the MK's it felt like something was missing because of all the AAs the west coast version had. But I think I would give the nod to the MK's.

-Fantasyland, no brainer. MK's is pathetic compared to it, including a few rides like IASW. Peter pan is about equal, DL one was nice. Winnie the Pooh, def better in MK.

-WOC wasn't opened when I was there, but I've heard it's great. Loved how fantasmic was on the rivers of america because I've never taken the time to go way in the back of mgm to see it. Being able to walk by and catch glimpses of it at DL was good and showed me what I've been missing all these years. Magical fireworks was also amazing, after seeing them the summer nightastic show at MK this year was a downer.

This is coming from someone who has been visiting WDW all his life, and just recently got to go to DLR last year for about 4 days. Been wanting to go to DLR all my life, was glad to be able to last year, and defintly want to go back. It has a charm that WDW doesn't and is more laid back.

David S.

The river was drained when I was there. But I hate Fantasmic. I don't get its appeal at all. It doesn't take a genious to project images onto water and call it a show.

I can't speak for other Fantasmic! fans, but for me it's because I'm into the characters, the story, the music, the EMOTIONAL journey it takes me on. To me the show is a celebration of the wonderful legacy of Disney animation - its characters, its stories, its songs - all of which I'm a HUGE fan of. And then you have the theme of good overcoming evil, and the inspiring ending with all the characters coming out on the boat.

As far as "it doesn't take a genious to project water...", well, there's a lot more to the show than that. An even if one considers the technology behing the projections not "genious", this does not lower my opinion of the show one bit.

A lot of times people don't understand why my favorite attractions are my favorites, because a lot of my favorites are not the most "technologically impressive" (like the Fantasyland dark rides). But then again, just because something has the "latest and greatest" high tech gadgets, it doesn't mean it will have that magical quality that will inspire me, take me to the heights of happiness, move me to goosebumps, or even move me to tears.

To sum up, my love of Fantasmic! or any other attraction is impossible to sum up by evaluating whether water projections are "ingenious" or not. It all comes down to the FEELING it gives me, and that's why I love it!

lawyergirl77

@XDan - we went to DLR in March and came back with exactly the same feeling as you (right down to Napa Rose, although the Signature dining restaurants at WDW are still superior). Now if only DLR could de-pink its castle and make it grow... (I keed, I keed...)

I also loved the MMA references! They're spot-on too. But, what's this? No love for GSP? *gasp* ;)

How we felt about it: WDW is a better Vacation/Resort destination. DLR (well, specifically, Disneyland itself) is a better theme park and is a model for what WDW's MK could and should be.

We didn't get to see the World of Color... awww... I guess that means we hafta go back!!

Ziffman

When you are more accustomed to one version, that automatically becomes "better" in your mind.

How so exactly?? :veryconfu I have to say, I've never heard this logic before. How is "first" automatically "better"? I can think of plenty of attractions where I preferred the second version I experienced much more than the first, and vice-versa. The order in you ride something has nothing to do with which one ends up being perceived as better.

Not sure about this. Thematically, you're right. Attractions-wise, it has a lot more than the other non-MK WDW parks.

Number of attractions is not an indicator of a park's quality. If that were true, then most Six Flags parks would be considered superior to most Disney parks. It's based on the quality of the individual offerings as well as the overall experience. DCA may have more rides now than it did when it first opened, but a great many of those are still unoriginal "carnival"-type rides. Some are an out and out embarassment (such as Mullholland Madness, as well as the Maliboomer).

Enchantâmes

BeatDeadHorse.gif

Krack

I did try BB, I was not impressed. It reminded me very much of the san angel inn. Great atmosphere, awful food.

Wow, I'm surprised. The Blue Bayou might be my favorite place in any of the parks (California or Orlando); I always try to eat there when ever I go to Disneyland.

I guess my second question would be ... You feel the food is better in WDW?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom