WDW Unwilling to Hear Suggestions?

WDWFigment

Original Poster
After my trip to WDW this summer, I wrote an email and letter (figured multiple forms would have a better chance of being read) which I sent to Meg Crofton, Lee Cockerell, and Phil Holmes. I promptly received an email from the Disney Legal Department informing me they couldn't accept outside suggestions because they present a liability for employees who may be thinking up the same ideas. The email assured me that the emails had not been read; later, I got three letters informing me of the same thing, with my original letters included.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I'm going to post the content of my letter below, I realize it might be a bit dated, but I'm doing it for my own edification, as no one has read it, and I spent a good deal of time writing it. I also realize it may be a bit amateurish compared to suggestions I've since seen on these boards, I have since become much more well-versed Disney enthusiast.

As the only child in what can be characterized as a “Disney Family,” I frequented The Walt Disney World Resort numerous times as a young child. Now a senior in college, I stayed at the All-Star Sports Resort August 10th-14th, marking my first trip to the resort since 8th grade. While I could delve into the details of the trip that rekindled my love for the parks, I realize you receive this kind of praise on a daily basis, and I believe my accounts of what could have been better will be of more assistance. Let me preface this by saying that I had an astonishing time; these suggestions are made only in the interest of keeping up the world class atmosphere that makes Disney World the happiest place on earth.

First, from a marketing standpoint, I saw one area in which Disney World could exploit my demographic: the post attraction photos. My friends and I found ourselves examining the photos after each attraction (on which photos were offered), because said photos always caught us in awkward expressions. However, we never had any intention of purchasing the photos due to the steep (from the college student’s perspective) prices. There is a way to increase the sales of these photos in my demographic, while still maintaining current sales to the target family audiences. For a lower price, give individuals the ability to have the pictures sent via email. Younger audiences will prefer this option as it gives them the ability to alter the photo electronically, and more importantly, gives them the ability to share these photos via online networking websites, such as Facebook. This may not seem like it would increase sales of these photos, but many students go to great lengths to have the perfect “Profile” photo. Most of the time
“perfect” entails something that is absurd or will be viewed as funny by the rest of the online community. The attraction photos fit the bill perfectly, and, at the same time, would not detract from most family purchases, as these are influenced greatly by young children, who want something immediate and tangible.

Second, while on the subject of the post-attraction photos, I believe that placing monitors for viewing the photos within the ride itself would be beneficial to sales. On all of the attractions that photograph visitors, with the exception of the Tower of Terror, there is a time when the ride vehicle is in a queue waiting to unload. By placing monitors at these points, sales will increase, as the captive audience on the ride that would otherwise bypass crowds at the post-attraction monitors will potentially purchase the photos.

Third, though FastPass is an ingenious system, it feels like an afterthought on many attractions. Many precise instances elude my memory, but I found this to be the case on several attractions. One poignant example was the Rockin’ Rollercoaster where the Fast Pass line ends prematurely outside because of a narrow ramp leading to the indoor queue. Once inside, the lines one again become wide; why not resume the fast pass system inside by dividing those wide roped areas into two smaller areas, and collecting passes at a later point? This very same system I am suggesting is employed at Animal Kingdom’s Kali River Rapids successfully.

Fourth, several of the attractions could stand cosmetic changes that really would not improve them in anyway, but would make them appeal more to the perceptive individual. In Magic Kingdom, the Jungle Cruise has areas of shore stained green from water occasionally coming high onto the shore. Also on the Jungle Cruise, the back of one of the tigers is torn, making the age of this animatronic creature quite evident. In Epcot, the queue area of the Maelstrom ride has ceiling tiles that have become discolored from age, and look as if they are rotting. Both issues have remedies that could be implemented without closing the attraction. These are just two examples of a myriad of instances of decay observed while in the parks.

The final scene of the Carousel of Progress is meant to display how humans will utilize technology in the future, yet many of the items are extremely outdated. The family discusses using a Laserdisc player, virtual reality gaming devices, and other outdated items. The family also is surrounded by outdated props such as older ski boots and the television set. With the technology at Disney’s disposal, it seems the company would have the ability to alter certain words without producing a completely new voice track for the ride.

Space Mountain was formerly sponsored by FedEx, a partnership that still bears a trace in the color scheme of the FastPass kiosks and the shipping tale that is displayed after the ride. With the multitude of shipping corporations and the aforementioned story that could incorporate a specific company, it seems there would be no shortage of willing sponsors for this attraction. On the subject of Space Mountain’s exit area, the escalator with cameras and monitors that allow visitors to see themselves feels dated. This certainly impresses young children, but the fact that this is commonly utilized at discount retailers to draw the shoppers’ attention makes one wonder if it has the kind of tact necessary to be employed in a Disney World attraction.

I only make minor suggestions to these last two attractions, as I feel it is important to maintain the original vision that went into these rides. I think there are some attractions in Disney World that must only undergo minor renovations to avoid complete bastardization of the initial incarnation of the attraction. This was a belief spurred by experiencing the new Journey into the Imagination ride, sans Dreamfinder, and devoid of the character it once possessed. Still, it is important to strike a balance between preservation and innovation, and to not keep something stagnant simply for nostalgia’s sake.

Finally, I find an essential part of the Disney experience to lie within the excellent service and demeanor of the cast members. A cast member who does not have a positive attitude or is cynical towards park operations can potentially ruin an attraction. We found this to be the case on the Jungle Cruise, when the skipper made several remarks hinting that the animals encountered were fake, and that if we were ready for an exciting attraction we should instead go ride Pirates of the Caribbean. The vast majority of anyone over the age of six understands that the animatronics creatures are not real. I think that is reasonably obvious. However, the very escapist nature of many attractions calls for older riders to employ their imaginations in order to have an enjoyable experience; this experience can be ruined by constant reminders of the artificial nature of the attraction. I would hope there is a general script to these rides calling for only minor divergence (or at least a general set of guidelines) as there is a certain atmosphere of such attractions that people do enjoy, and a cast member who takes it upon him or herself to be a comedian can ruin that.

I have a number of other negligible suggestions, but those may be overly nitpicky, and I would rather include only concise and meaningful reflections to ensure that my letter will be carefully examined. While most of these suggestions are unlikely to make a substantial difference in the experience of the average visitor, I know Disney World prides itself on the subtle nuances that make the completed product stand so far ahead of the pack. I hope the ideas contained in this letter do not come off as those of an obsessed ‘fan boy’, but rather, as the meaningful ideas of a thoughtful and astute visitor. Thank you for your time in reading this extensive letter.

lilclerk

All good ideas, but isn't the JC skipper supposed to be sarcastic like that? Ours made similar comments, but I thought it was hilarious... :eek:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
You can tell them what's wrong, but you can't tell them how to fix them, particularly while throwing around words about marketing and demographics and such.

Your idea about attraction photos is being implemented and installed in Test Track - the screen is installed in the ride, but isn't functional yet.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
You can tell them what's wrong, but you can't tell them how to fix them, particularly while throwing around words about marketing and demographics and such.

Your idea about attraction photos is being implemented and installed in Test Track - the screen is installed in the ride, but isn't functional yet.

Point taken. I understand it from their perspective, too. I can see some other person sending in a letter, then one of the ideas is coincidentally implemented (not as a result of the suggestion) and the person crying that Disney 'stole' their idea.

bryPOD

I had this happen to me once when I was 8 or 9. I sent the Walt Disney Studios a "pitch" for a live action Gargoyles film, haha.

Disney was really cool, telling me they can not except outside submissions, but still thanked me. They sent the letter back with a couple of film making magazines, and a Gargoyles Disney Adventures magazine.

kirksheppard

Just my opinion

Since you posted the letter asking us for comments, I'll just say that if I received that letter and was a VP of Disney, I would consider your tone pretentious and obnoxious. The Jungle Cruise thing really impacted me as I found your take on it to miss the entire point of the attraction, which is sarcasm and fun - one of the only attractions in WDW not to take itself more seriously than it deserves to!

But the point is, you can't offer them suggestions about how they'll make more money because if they took it, you'd sue them and expect a cut of the profits. Its just business.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Perhaps I am missing the point of the jungle cruise, then, as others I've talked to have shared your stance. I don't think my divergent view makes my stance pretentious or obnoxious, several staunch fans here express similar 'fanboy' sentiments; it's the letter of a fan wanting to provide the company with views of how to improve the experience.

Sure, they can easily say 'if your ideas are so much better than ours, why do we run a park, while you work for less than $10 an hour," but I think that would be a little cold.

I understand the reasoning behind them refusing the letters (threat of suit), but it seems they could somehow make it clear that all suggestions made become the property of WDC. That would protect against suit.

Wilt Dasney

How do they know you were making suggestions if they didn't read the letters? Do they immediately stop reading as soon as a sentence sounds like it might be making a suggestion? Sounds like legal department BS to me. :shrug:

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I sent the link to this thread to one of my friends, and he questioned why Apple does not sponsor any attractions in the parks, specifically Carousel of Progress. With their 'Think Different' motto, this would be the perfect attraction, and they could use it to subtly promote their state-of-the art products like the iPone, iTV, etc. With Steve Jobs on the board of directors (and leading stockholder) this seems like it would be a good fit...

slappy magoo

This might sound obnoxious, but again, you did ask for feedback...

To me, the whole letter sounds like a thinly-veiled alternative for a cover letter, in lieu of a resume. "Hey, I noticed all these areas where Disney could be doing better, and did I mention I'm a senior in college. Why, I'm about to be in the job market, where I could conceivably get paid big bucks to make the sort of observations I'm giving you, for the moment, for free! I'm not saying you'd do well to snap me up before I graduate or anything, just thought I'd let you know I have a lot of great ideas, ready to go, and, you know, tick tock tick tock, know whu'm sayin'?"

Whether that was your intent or not, that's how the letter comes across to me. Anything in your letter (and I would've suggested not throwing so many details or suggestions in one letter anyway) could have been rephrased in a way that would come across more like a fan askign a question or lodging a complaint, and less like someone trying to slip in through the corporate back door. For instance, you could merely have complained about the price point of the photos, being a college student, there have been occasions where you wanted to buy photos but they were just out of your price range. Gives them food for thought without having to reject an outside idea. You could have also said that you find it difficult to even look at your photos on the monitors because of where they are inconveniently located on most attractions.

Your Fastpass-in-RNRC question? "Why does the Fastpass line merge where it does instead of closer to the ride?" Stuff like that.

In short, while we all scratch our heads at various decisions Diney's suits make from time to time, your letter had the tone of "Duh, why don't you do it THIS way, I'm just trying to help" albiet with more seven-dollar words. And I'd bet there isn't a single suggestion you made that hasn't been brought up at some point or another. And between your general "obviously I'm noticing things you people don't" vibe, the myriad of suggestions that would make most readers' eyes glaze over, and the apparent eagerness to show off your book-learnin', I wouldn't be surprised to find out anyone who got your letter didn't read past "these suggestions are made only in the interest of keeping up the world class atmosphere..."

Now, before you think I'm sort of grade-A jerk, I'll make a confession: I've done the exact same thing you did. Maybe not to WDW, but in a few jobs I held, especially the first few I had right out of college. There I'd go, thinking that I figured out a way to do things better, do things faster, cut costs, improve performance, only to discover that I didn't have all the info necessary to really understand the process, let alone figure out how to improve it. And I got similarly derided, so believe me, I'm trying to be constructive, no matter how harsh this may read. "Knowing how to say it," whatever "it" is, is just as important as "knowing what to say." And they both take a back seat to "really understanding what it is you want to say." It's a little Frank Capra-esque idealism, and a little Machiavellian manipulation. It not only suits you when it comes to letters like yours, it suits you in the classroom, the workplace and in life. Know what you're talking about. Know what you have to say. Know how to say it.

kirksheppard

<< I don't think my divergent view makes my stance pretentious or obnoxious, several staunch fans here express similar 'fanboy' sentiments; it's the letter of a fan wanting to provide the company with views of how to improve the experience.>>

Its not your views; its your vocabulary. "divergent?" You're the kind of kid I used to throw erasers at in college to get them to put their hand down. :)

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Slappy magoo, points taken. I am in no way offended, it all sounds spot-on and I suppose those indicate my personality in general (or as kirksheppard suggests, personality flaws). In re-reading it, it does have the feel of a cover letter, but I assure you, it's not. I may be a senior in college, but I have another three years of schooling left.

slappy magoo

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if more people on the boards had written a letter like that then they care to admit. Good rule of thumb (and one I often forget myself) is to re-read something you've written and imagine that you're not the author, but the intended audience or recipient. Would he/she/they understand your point? Understand WHY you made the point? Appreciate the tone? I find that degree of empathy helps anyone become a better self-editor.

Champion

I sent the link to this thread to one of my friends, and he questioned why Apple does not sponsor any attractions in the parks, specifically Carousel of Progress. With their 'Think Different' motto, this would be the perfect attraction, and they could use it to subtly promote their state-of-the art products like the iPone, iTV, etc. With Steve Jobs on the board of directors (and leading stockholder) this seems like it would be a good fit...

No. We need less Jobs influence, not more.

Champion

How do they know you were making suggestions if they didn't read the letters? Do they immediately stop reading as soon as a sentence sounds like it might be making a suggestion? Sounds like legal department BS to me. :shrug:

Thats how it is supposed to work, yes. As soon as they see a suggestion, they stop reading it and send it back.

Glasgow

While I may not agree with your entire letter I can certainly commend you for at least taking action. Many people (not naming names .. ha) are content to just complain about the situation rather than be proactive. Not that Disney is going to take your suggestions, but at least you tried .. lol. Kudos

scottnj1966

I guess you have never rode the jungle cruise before.

Its the same script for any of the skippers.

You dont think you got the whole joke.

Its all in fun.

Disney will not take advice on what to do at the parks or resort area's.
I have tried many times for many different reasons.
Just tell them what is wrong and keep an eye on the area that has the problem. You may get it fixed.
They have been burned too many times with lawsuits.

SteveUK

All good points or not, I feel the letter sounded somewhat arrogant. I'm not saying it didn't contain ideas of merit, but I felt they were not put across in the best way.

I'm slightly puzzled what led the author of the letter to think they knew better than the extremely experienced, highly paid and capable senior members of the Disney organisation the letter was aimed at. Were you actually expecting the Disney management to scratch their heads and say 'thanks, why didn't we think of that? This must be why we lose money each year.'

As I have said, ideas that may not be without some merit, but hardly revolutionary or life-changing. If Disney does not pay people an awful lot of money to come up with vastly better criticisms and new ways to do things, then frankly they deserve to go bankrupt. I can't see that happening in the near future.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
As has been said here already, two key points in any communication are delivery and target.

Sending letters to corporate executives will rarely provide a response or a reading.

I regularly have used Guest Communications to highlight special moments, identify specific problems and recognize outstanding cast member performance. I always get an email back confirming receipt and have frequently gotten real person follow-up phone calls, addressing my specific points and thanking me.

I know Cast Members have received comments, as for other issues, well, if they were immediately forgotten, so be it, I provided the feedback.

What do you really expect, a personal note from Meg saying...Gee, all along I thought we knew what we were doing, but you know, you're right. We'll begin to implement your changes immediately. Hill and Lee would be immediately out of business :rolleyes: .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom