WDW to Raise All Buffet Prices By Almost 50%?

gmajew

Premium Member
Behavior like that only goes on because it is tolerated. Simple as that. And people know they can get away with it. ... Just like I know I can (and will) steal soda or get it for far less than Disney wants me to pay because I am a terrible human being.

It is not because it is tolerated. It happens because of the age we are in. If you tell someone they can not do something guess what happens s million Twitter and Facebook post about the experience. Hence then th4 customer gets free stuff.

It is a ugly circle we are in these days.

And everyone steals soda that is built into the prices these days everywhere. Like people asking for water cups and filling up with the good stuff instead. Just the way it is these days.

kpilcher

I

As an aside, the DCL just began prebooking character breakfasts as well as up to two pre-arranged character meet-greet-and-gropes on seven night sailings with at least two sea days.

I find that fascinating. I recently took a day-long media tour of the Magic. Aside from a handful of things I noticed that just aren't for me ,I could squint and almost see the value from a certain perspective due to the extremely attentive service. Part of that: princesses popping up everywhere. Seemingly randomly. With careful attention paid to each young guest. Like at the MK of my childhood. If the "magic" of that becomes a scheduled upcharge boor then DCL will start losing some of what makes it unique. (Positive note: other than some really questionable carpet choices in some spots and carpet fading in others and the extremely boring disco new chandelier replacing the original Chihuly the old girl remains in fine shape after all these years)

Bolna

If the "magic" of that becomes a scheduled upcharge boor then DCL will start losing some of what makes it unique.

Most of the character experiences on DCL are still like the ones that you witnessed. They have been doing reservations for the big Princess Gathering (4 princesses in the atrium and you only line up once to meet one after the other) and the Frozen Meet&Greet for over a year now at least. The new thing is that they now have added them to the online booking process before your cruise. Until now you had to stand in a long day on the first day to get the reservation at the guest services desk. Now it is handled like Palo reservations or port excursion bookings. But there is no charge for them (yet?).

Jon81uk

Maybe a dumb question on my part, I don't have time to read every exchange. Are they literally doubling the cash value of the buffets or Dining Plan doubling down credits?

The rumour is that character meals (Tuskar House, Chef Mickeys etc) will go to two dining plan credits and the price will increase to over $50. But that may just be seasonal pricing, its possible its only for Thanksgiving meals only or something else like that.

WEDwaydatamover

I see...
Let me tell you friend that I'm no WDW apologist. Those prices are wayyyy steep if it's to be true, the prices are still Incredibly steep if it's untrue!

But on the other hand I've spent $50 bucks in a lot worse places than Chef Mickey's.

I spent $50 on a drink at Trader $cam's @ the Polynesian.

I don't disagree with this topic tho...

Biff215

Question...is there actually a way to determine exactly what a Disney buffet/family style meal will cost for your exact dates? The price ranges are so wide and I've never seen official dates for "seasonal" pricing like with the resorts.

At least with a la carte you can get a decent idea of what a meal is going to cost you in advance. Don't like the sticker shock when you get the bill at the end of the meal.

TeriofTerror

Question...is there actually a way to determine exactly what a Disney buffet/family style meal will cost for your exact dates? The price ranges are so wide and I've never seen official dates for "seasonal" pricing like with the resorts.

At least with a la carte you can get a decent idea of what a meal is going to cost you in advance. Don't like the sticker shock when you get the bill at the end of the meal.
I recall hearing that a while back CMs at Crystal Palace had to start telling guests as they seated them what the cost of their meal would be, because the sticker shock for the unaware was so great that Guest Services was getting overwhelmed with complaints. I wonder if this is still going on. (I wouldn't know because I seldom do buffets. 1. Just thinking of all the people who have been digging through that food before you skeeves me out. 2. I leave either feeling as though I ate too much or I didn't get my money's worth - a complete lose/lose, either way.)
I really feel as though some of Disney's most egregious price gouging takes place where they think it will be least noticed. For example:
1. "Let's make a bunch of meals two credits on the dining plan. People will think they prepaid for their meals, but if they're not paying attention to their credit use, they will run out of credits and still have to buy more food. Bwahahahaha!"
2. "Almost no one checks stroller fees. Let's charge more per day for a double stroller rental ($31 dollars) than some people are paying for their rental cars!"
3. "Speaking of rental cars, people aren't going to realize we charge day guests $20 to park, or $35 for premium parking, until they arrive at the gate. Too late to turn back now!"
When people see those commercials that advertise All-Star rates while showing pictures of the Grand Floridian, they have no idea the incidental costs they will encounter when they arrive. I think Disney knows this and really takes advantage. That's why Disney charges so much for food, strollers, parking, ecvs, etc. These are all things that fly under the radar when people are pricing their vacation, so Disney can really gouge them when people arrive and realize they need these things.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Financing is hard to get banks don't want to lend but will when needed. I learned a long time ago banks don't want you when you need them and will fall over you when you don't.

Well I think that behavior dates to the moneylenders in the temple...

But back in the days of the community bank you could get a business loan maybe a local factory needed funding for a big order. Well the local bank had an incentive to lend to them to keep their depositors solvent and maybe if the factory had been in a rough patch the bank would disburse the funds themselves

But with today's megabanks. That business would never get a loan

Really we need glass-stegal back and banks once again locally focused investment and banking need to be separate businesses

asianway

I see...
Let me tell you friend that I'm no WDW apologist. Those prices are wayyyy steep if it's to be true, the prices are still Incredibly steep if it's untrue!

But on the other hand I've spent $50 bucks in a lot worse places than Chef Mickey's.

I spent $50 on a drink at Trader $cam's @ the Polynesian.

I don't disagree with this topic tho...
And you could still flip that glass on eBay and get the $50 back

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What if you already have a reservations for December and have planned out your week's credits based on current credit costs?

Sucks to be you as you recall Disney has that cute little prices and credits may change without notice disclaimer which gives them the legal fig leaf to cover themselves with when they pull a sleazy move like this

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Related story for the sake of thread levity...

My Grandfather was notorious for doing this ^^^ except, he wouldn't stuff things in bags or anything. He would just grab a napkin and wrap up a roll, donut, muffin, and jam it right in his pocket. He paid for all he could eat, and no one specified a time limit. So he figured, this is my pocket muffin. Always cracked us all up. FWIW, he was a pretty successful guy and could buy many muffins if he was so inclined. He is actually the reason I have DVC at all, he was the original purchaser. So basically he left me a $1000 a year bill...:cautious:

Anyway, great guy, and not disgusting. lol.

If the $1,000.00 a year bill is a problem, you should have no problem selling this off right now. Resale market is still good.

PhotoDave219

It is not because it is tolerated. It happens because of the age we are in. If you tell someone they can not do something guess what happens s million Twitter and Facebook post about the experience. Hence then th4 customer gets free stuff.

It is a ugly circle we are in these days.

And everyone steals soda that is built into the prices these days everywhere. Like people asking for water cups and filling up with the good stuff instead. Just the way it is these days.

Well.... I don't. At Disney I want the water, gotta stay hydrated

HM Spectre

The DDP is good at masking the true outrageousness of food pricing in the same way an all-inclusive does... you think about the price once when you pay it and don't actually think about the true value.

But at some point, even if people aren't paying every meal out of pocket (and when they do, the sticker shock is amazing), the cost is going to smack people in the face.

I mean seriously... the cost of the regular DDP for a family of four on a 5 night trip is $865. That. Is. Insane.

And if you want 3 park meals instead of 2, a signature (or character meal if this change goes through), a TS for lunch, etc. get ready to pay even more or step up to the deluxe plan which will cost that same family a magical $1,505 for the same trip.

There are a lot of cost and corner cuts that WDW can get away with an the average family won't notice but price is one point that EVERYONE looks at. I'd honestly be stunned if they don't get some hard pushback at some point because the gouging is starting to get ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom