WDW to Build New North Entrance to Property

Progress.City

I thought Epcot was originally to be built first? And when Walt died WDI didn't know how to move forward with it so they pushed ahead MK first. Then the problems with making Epcot an actually city (with it's own government) caused so many legal headaches that it was just transformed into a park. At least this was told by a tour guide to us in 1983 when I first visited Epcot and have always believed that.
No, the "Florida Project", as it was known, was going to include the Magic Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom hotels and campground in the first phase. This was built as planned minus a few hotels that they were planning.

The second phase was the EPCOT city, an "airport of the future", and an industrial park. Roy did not cancel the second phase but he put it off so that he could concentrate on the first phase, a business he knew. When Roy died, his successors actually did try to move forward with the EPCOT city.

There were a ton of reasons why these plans never happened. One was the fact that Disney would be controlling the lives of tens of thousands of people. There was also an issue about voting rights and annexation. When the project turned into EPCOT Center, the theme park, it was decided that maybe Walt's futurist city could get built later on. The company believed that to do this, it must get acquainted with the real estate businesses, which it knew very little about. To do this, one of the successor CEO's actually bought a real estate company called Arvida. Disney would later move key people from Arvida elsewhere within the company and sell Arvida.

lazyboy97o

I thought Epcot was originally to be built first? And when Walt died WDI didn't know how to move forward with it so they pushed ahead MK first. Then the problems with making Epcot an actually city (with it's own government) caused so many legal headaches that it was just transformed into a park. At least this was told by a tour guide to us in 1983 when I first visited Epcot and have always believed that.
EPCOT was always a more long term project, even for the ailing Walt. EPCOT needed to overcome not just legal issues, but the historical legacy of how Garden Cities had failed to further deliver on their promise. Even with control, sprawl is always an easier option. Disney never lost control of the Reedy Creek Improvement District but it still sprawled. Celebration also sprawled. Urban experiments have a long history and they aren't good at being self sustaining.

Last edited:

ULPO46

If I do recall, Celebration broke away from Disney because the residents wanted more rights and freedom. Not some billion dollar corporation telling them what they could or could not do.

lazyboy97o

If I do recall, Celebration broke away from Disney because the residents wanted more rights and freedom. Not some billion dollar corporation telling them what they could or could not do.
Nope. Disney on their own chose to end their involvement early and it has resulted in some losses, like the movie theater that was kept in business because AMC wanted to stay at Downtown Disney.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
No, the "Florida Project", as it was known, was going to include the Magic Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom hotels and campground in the first phase. This was built as planned minus a few hotels that they were planning.

The second phase was the EPCOT city, an "airport of the future", and an industrial park. Roy did not cancel the second phase but he put it off so that he could concentrate on the first phase, a business he knew. When Roy died, his successors actually did try to move forward with the EPCOT city.

There were a ton of reasons why these plans never happened. One was the fact that Disney would be controlling the lives of tens of thousands of people. There was also an issue about voting rights and annexation. When the project turned into EPCOT Center, the theme park, it was decided that maybe Walt's futurist city could get built later on. The company believed that to do this, it must get acquainted with the real estate businesses, which it knew very little about. To do this, one of the successor CEO's actually bought a real estate company called Arvida. Disney would later move key people from Arvida elsewhere within the company and sell Arvida.

Very interesting, I had no clue they owned Arvida. Arvida created the city I lived in during my childhood in South Florida, a city named Weston. It is a beautiful planned community. I could see Disney doing something similar to that.

Interesting Article from back in the day

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1991-09-15/features/9102050490_1_arvida-weston-hometown

ILOVEDISNEY

I think they're referring to this sign:

jPln8OkyVe5SU.PNG

Although the only way to get there, as mentioned, is to enter from Reams (technically requiring you to be a CM, as Center Dr. is a private road, no?), or be staying at Poly/GF/Shades of Green.

All of WDW is private property technically speaking. You failed to post the next sign stating WDW parking next left. There are no signs stating for CM use only, or authorized vehicles only. There is a sign just north of the SOG intersection stating authorized vehicles only, but, of course, it is not enforced. I did not mean to open a can of worms, but was just trying to convey how us locals navigate thru WDW without making a 10 mile detour from Windermere where many Disney execs reside, and hundreds of CMs.

Progress.City

Very interesting, I had no clue they owned Arvida. Arvida created the city I lived in during my childhood in South Florida, a city named Weston. It is a beautiful planned community. I could see Disney doing something similar to that.

Interesting Article from back in the day

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1991-09-15/features/9102050490_1_arvida-weston-hometown
I'm familiar with Weston. My aunt and uncle bought a home from an Arvida community in Boca Raton when Disney owned the company and they had people in Disney character costumes greeting people at the model home tours!

EDIT - I'm not sure which CEO decided to buy Arvida, but I think it was the one right before Eisner, Walt Disney's son-in-law Ron Miller, who had the job for almost a year. The intention was to use Arvida's real estate knowledge in order to build EPCOT (the city). I believe it was Michael Eisner's decision almost immediately upon taking his new job to sell Arvida because he believed the company needed to concentrate on its core businesses before venturing out into new business areas. But, before he sold the company, he moved key experts from Arvida into Disney Development Co. to develop Celebrations.

Last edited:

Progress.City

I intend to create a whole section of my website dedicated to utopian city experiments. One good one to look up in the meanwhile is Brasilia, Brazil!

EDIT - Wouldn't that be ghostly if Disney decided to build an EPCOT Center theme park in the Brasilia area for its Brazil park (instead of a Magic Kingdom). The Brazil version of EPCOT would mimic the layout of Walt's EPCOT city and would be one big Future World and would have the liberty of borrowing Magic Kingdom attractions such as Space Mountain.

Last edited:
All of WDW is private property technically speaking. You failed to post the next sign stating WDW parking next left. There are no signs stating for CM use only, or authorized vehicles only. There is a sign just north of the SOG intersection stating authorized vehicles only, but, of course, it is not enforced. I did not mean to open a can of worms, but was just trying to convey how us locals navigate thru WDW without making a 10 mile detour from Windermere where many Disney execs reside, and hundreds of CMs.

I wasn't trying to argue... just posting a picture of the handicap sign the other posters were questioning. I go that way all the time myself, but included the disclaimer about the private access road, as the signs are posted coming in from Center Dr., and it goes through some convoluted backstage area... just didn't want to broadcast a way to avoid paying for parking.

Communicore

I intend to create a whole section of my website dedicated to utopian city experiments. One good one to look up in the meanwhile is Brasilia, Brazil!

EDIT - Wouldn't that be ghostly if Disney decided to build an EPCOT Center theme park in the Brasilia area for its Brazil park (instead of a Magic Kingdom). The Brazil version of EPCOT would mimic the layout of Walt's EPCOT city and would be one big Future World and would have the liberty of borrowing Magic Kingdom attractions such as Space Mountain.
I hope they build an Epcot theme park there, but not a EPCOT Center!

jrhwdw

One major difference: People trickle in and trickle out of Downtown Disney / Disney Springs.

At the Magic Kingdom, 98%* of the people show up between 8 AM and 10 AM and then leave immediately following the fireworks and/or parade. When we're talking about vertical parking, people arriving throughout the day and leaving throughout the day is much different than everyone showing up and leaving all at once. You want to be on the fourth floor of a parking garage 20 minutes after Wishes gets out? I imagine not.

*Yes, 98% is an exaggeration but my point remains.
Ever been to Disney On Ice and parked in a garage? It's not fun. Now take that arena, and multiply that into MK or Good Grief, Epcot! This just coming from me, NEVER park at Epcot if you watch IllumiNations! It was horrible for us and that was May 1999! DHS was surprisingly easy after only one F!, Isn't MK's situation staggered a bit? Monorails, Ferrys and Trams can only hold so much people, plus the Parking lot is Huge! I shudder to think what MK's Parking would be like after FOF, MSEP and Wishes if there wasn't Bay Lake or TTC Wonder how DL did it before DCA?

roj2323

Ever been to Disney On Ice and parked in a garage? It's not fun. Now take that arena, and multiply that into MK or Good Grief, Epcot! This just coming from me, NEVER park at Epcot if you watch IllumiNations! It was horrible for us and that was May 1999! DHS was surprisingly easy after only one F!, Isn't MK's situation staggered a bit? Monorails, Ferrys and Trams can only hold so much people, plus the Parking lot is Huge! I shudder to think what MK's Parking would be like after FOF, MSEP and Wishes if there wasn't Bay Lake or TTC Wonder how DL did it before DCA?

A 2 level garage (actully 3 with ground level) could dump each level with direct access ramps directly onto world drive. I think you could actually get out of the parking lot faster if this was implemented. That said, I'd much rather see a garage built at DHS if they are going to build one.

Brad Bishop

I'm familiar with Weston. My aunt and uncle bought a home from an Arvida community in Boca Raton when Disney owned the company and they had people in Disney character costumes greeting people at the model home tours!

EDIT - I'm not sure which CEO decided to buy Arvida, but I think it was the one right before Eisner, Walt Disney's son-in-law Ron Miller, who had the job for almost a year. The intention was to use Arvida's real estate knowledge in order to build EPCOT (the city). I believe it was Michael Eisner's decision almost immediately upon taking his new job to sell Arvida because he believed the company needed to concentrate on its core businesses before venturing out into new business areas. But, before he sold the company, he moved key experts from Arvida into Disney Development Co. to develop Celebrations.

Did Arvida have anything to do with Rotonda West, FL? I thought I remember there being a Disney connection there.

Tour_Guide_and_Google_Earth.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom