WDW to Build New North Entrance to Property

Horizons1

Disney has been selling off peripheral land over the last several years. Why would they buy more?

There are similar traffic patterns of mass arrival and departure at Universal Orlando Resort and Tokyo DisneySEA.
Oh I dunno. Maybe to keep WDW isolated from everyone else. Silly thought, I know!

Big C 73

That's a great idea but you have to realize that's an idea in the vein of EPCOT and today's Walt Disney company doesn't like ideas like that. Now if they purchased that land to put frozen characters on, we are golden.

Unfortunatley, that is true. Personally, not every asset of land has to be profitable in some form. Even if the land is unsuitable for building (edge of property) there is still that maintained value of control sightlines/outside interuption. As you previously stated though, such a mindset is not correspondent with current conpany ethics as of present. Hopefully that can be altered in the future somewhat.

flynnibus

Premium Member
why would they sell off land? rather than selling it they should use it.

And yet people wonder why there is so much negativity on this site...

Why would they? Look at their recent activities..
Golden Oaks
Western Way
Four Seasons
etc

Disney has shown they'd rather be a land developer cashing in on their own image rather than actually build and develop new concepts themselves. Instead of keeping that buffer they started with.. they have been monetizing the land entrusted to them by the previous generation by deannexing it and then leasing or selling it to other people to develop.

lazyboy97o

Golden Oaks
Western Way
Four Seasons
etc

Disney has shown they'd rather be a land developer cashing in on their own image rather than actually build and develop new concepts themselves. Instead of keeping that buffer they started with.. they have been monetizing the land entrusted to them by the previous generation by deannexing it and then leasing or selling it to other people to develop.
They seem to have done a pretty good job of convincing people there never was suppose to be a buffer.

Skippy

I have the personal belief that Walt Disney World has forever lost it's original vision of isolation and true innovation. (Some might say this loss started as early as when Walt passed away).

Seeing the current turn of discussion in this thread, this seems like as good a place as ever to ask for a contrary opinion.

The way things currently stand. I personally feel the best thing that could happen to the Florida parks is if they would be sold/split off into a company that could focus solely on visitors to the parks operation.

NearTheEars

So, I currently go Florida Turnpike South to 429 to Western Way. I'm assuming this possible new entrance wouldn't speed things up for us, correct?

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
Man, all these new entrances are tainting the WDW existing entrances. That's a reason why to this day, I have not bothered exiting using the new exits on 429. Also to me Western Way does not exist.
I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. Tainting the existing entrances? Please explain. Then again, if you're in denial that Western Way exists, then you may have other issues.

NearTheEars

We pick up the turnpike south of Leesburg. Typically, from our door to WDW property it's about 1:15.
It looks like to get to this possible new entrance we'd be getting off 429 to eventually get to Reams Rd after a few turns. I think it would actually take longer.

Still good that they may or may not be considering this.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
We pick up the turnpike south of Leesburg. Typically, from our door to WDW property it's about 1:15.
It looks like to get to this possible new entrance we'd be getting off 429 to eventually get to Reams Rd after a few turns. I think it would actually take longer.

Still good that they may or may not be considering this.
Yeah, stick with the way you go now.

mm121

Golden Oaks
Western Way
Four Seasons
etc

yea walt has to be rolling over in his grave to see how much of his vision has been destroyed/ and not expanded upon

dont know what the reasoning was for the selling off of the land containing celebration, as it was never created as an innovative community, simply another suburb, as such it never should have been built to begin with.

I have the personal belief that Walt Disney World has forever lost it's original vision of isolation and true innovation. (Some might say this loss started as early as when Walt passed away).

Seeing the current turn of discussion in this thread, this seems like as good a place as ever to ask for a contrary opinion.

The way things currently stand. I personally feel the best thing that could happen to the Florida parks is if they would be sold/split off into a company that could focus solely on visitors to the parks operation.

then they would have to expand the parks, and keep things new and fresh, though even if they did split the parks off they probably would still milk them like they are doing now, as people haven't stopped going.

and until people stop spending money more expansions innovations wont happen

and unfortunately the crowds show no signs of slowing down, despite the lack of new attractions/ overcrowding/ price increases / entertainment cuts / etc

--------------------------------
would of loved to see the night kingdom by now, based on villans geared towards older teens/adults

Next Big Thing

Golden Oaks
Western Way
Four Seasons
etc

To be fair, Golden Oak/Four Seasons are technically a part of the same complex (they have the same entrance) and you can't even see the Four Season building from the road unless you actually go in.

You forgot to mention the land sell off to Bonnet Creek, but imo, like Golden Oak/Four Seasons, it's well hidden and the average guest doesn't even know it's there. You can't see the hotels unless you go on property.

So yes, they have sold off land, but the resort is still fairly secluded. I'd say the worst offender in the whole resort to ruin "seclusion" is the McDonalds right outside of the all-star resorts.

peter11435

To be fair, Golden Oak/Four Seasons are technically a part of the same complex (they have the same entrance) and you can't even see the Four Season building from the road unless you actually go in.

You forgot to mention the land sell off to Bonnet Creek, but imo, like Golden Oak/Four Seasons, it's well hidden and the average guest doesn't even know it's there. You can't see the hotels unless you go on property.

So yes, they have sold off land, but the resort is still fairly secluded. I'd say the worst offender in the whole resort to ruin "seclusion" is the McDonalds right outside of the all-star resorts.
They didn't sell off land to Bonnet Creek. Disney never owned that parcel.

Horizons1

I do enjoy seeing the four seasons as I walk down the monorail ramp into the Magic Kingdom. Oh, and when I'm at the Wilderness Lodge and look out on bay lake.

flynnibus

Premium Member
dont know what the reasoning was for the selling off of the land containing celebration, as it was never created as an innovative community, simply another suburb, as such it never should have been built to begin with.

I don't agree - I think it started with the right intentions... but simply failed in it's vision. The deannexation was to isolate Disney from the outside elements it couldn't control.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Golden Oaks/FS are two different concepts combined together to leverage common needs. The idea of simply another 3rd party resort on property is a long way from permanent residential developments. They were rolled up together so that the Golden Oak concept would have services and features to make it more attractive.

and Bonnet Creek was not a sell off - it's ownership predates RCID - http://www.yesterland.com/bonnet.html

That's why I excluded it :) Concepts as recent as the Western way stuff are the most disturbing...

SoupBone

They seem to have done a pretty good job of convincing people there never was suppose to be a buffer.

This is something I have been completely unaware of. Is there a thread topic on this? I would like to see an overlay of a Google map that shows how much land they've sold over the last several years. If so, this would be incredibly sad in the sense that one of the best things about being on Disney property is that you felt like you stepped into another world, and dare I say insulated from the crap going on in the outside world.

And I'm no Walt Disney (the man) expert, but didn't he buy up all that land, not only for WDW to be able to expand, but also keep it away from the rest of the stuff going on around it (like the hotel scene popping up around Disneyland)? This would be a slap in the face to what he wished for in WDW.

ULPO46

There probably is an overlay, but it is true. The WDW property has over the past 4 decades become much smaller.

peter11435

That's why I excluded it :) Concepts as recent as the Western way stuff are the most disturbing...

I agree it is disturbing and I don't want to see it become more of a trend. Although it's not really a recent development. The little lake Bryan property as well as the crossroads shopping center were both very similar concepts.

ULPO46

Just a quick question. Even if said North Gate were opened. How would a Northern Entrance actually ease congestion off of Buena Vista Drive, I-4, World Drive, Ocesola Pkwy? I mean unless you know the backroads to Disney no tourist is going to come from Florida Swampland and visit Disney through that way. Thats why i think Disney hasn't made a North Gate. Perhaps this North Gate will be to help Employees get to work on time and a less congested rush hour for them. But other than that I don't see it being a major entrance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom