WDW to Build New North Entrance to Property

Timon

I believe people are mistaken about this so called "North Gate" The current entrance to Reams Room is overloaded with Cast Member arriving and departing plus deliveries, this isn't an official "Welcome to WDW" gate except maybe for a few locals. The new entrance from Reams Rm will be a reliever for the existing entrance. This will provide better control over the existing overwhelming traffic so those passing through the North Service Area will bypass those with business in the North Service Area and let them get on to their jobs at Hotels and other parts of WDW.

The only other future entrance talked about was a 429 to EPCOT Drive-World Drive connection which puts guests on roads outside of the Parking Tolls. When? Who knows.

Last edited:

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
Just a quick question. Even if said North Gate were opened. How would a Northern Entrance actually ease congestion off of Buena Vista Drive, I-4, World Drive, Ocesola Pkwy? I mean unless you know the backroads to Disney no tourist is going to come from Florida Swampland and visit Disney through that way. Thats why i think Disney hasn't made a North Gate. Perhaps this North Gate will be to help Employees get to work on time and a less congested rush hour for them. But other than that I don't see it being a major entrance.
It fixes a large number of logistical problems. The road closures due to fireworks, the toll plaza traffic for the resorts, the odd location of the gas station, and a general fix to make an appropriate entrance to WDW in that direction. If this entrance gets built properly, it could be just like a new more direct highway got built to the development north of Disney. It would actually increase traffic on Epcot Center Drive and decrease traffic on CR 535.

seascape

I agree it is disturbing and I don't want to see it become more of a trend. Although it's not really a recent development. The little lake Bryan property as well as the crossroads shopping center were both very similar concepto ts.
Walt never wanted multiple theme parks in Florida. Go look at his plans at Hollywood Studios. Look at the airport and all the residential and commercial development. The look at the reasons for the state to allow a Disney government. Florida expected more permanent residents.

What has Walt Disney World become? A giant vacation resort with many days well over 250,000 peoples, including employees, in the 4 parks and tens of thousands more at the hotels and water parks. So has WDW lived up to the basic idea of showing how things cane be better? I do know. In some ways it has because transportation officials from all over the world visit WDW to study the transportation system. It is also an amazing place to see the laundry trains taking all the sheets, towels and other laundry to he laundry building. Then think of all the food needed to feed everyone. So is WDW what Walt thought it would be? No but I think he would be proud of it. He knew it would not be what he originally wanted and if he were still alive it may be different but does anyone actually think he thought the attendance would be over 50 million in 2013 and probably over 52 million in 2014. WDW is a wonderful and very enjoyable vacation resort. Many complain but many more just love it and in any case the vast majority keep coming back.

Monorail_Red_77

Here's a bit of info on Golden Oak at Walt Disney World. When you go to the website that is selling homes located at Golden Oak it is a Disney website with all of the usual Disney info. www.disneygoldenoak.com

After a bit of research on Sun Biz site I cam across some interesting information.

Golden Oak was originally known as Golden Oak Estates, LLC as of Feb 3, 2009. Their principal office was at 1375 Buena Vista Dr. PO Box 10000 Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830. As most know, PO Box 10000 is the general mail delivery for all of Walt Disney World Resort. The Manager of this company was listed as Walt Disney Imagineering Resort Development with the sole member of the LLC being Walt Disney World Co.

Then in Nov 2009 the name was changed to Golden Oak Development, LLC. The sole member is now WALT DISNEY IMAGINEERING RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT, INC. with someone named Page Pierce located in Celebration, FL as a Manager. This is likely a Disney Exec.

So in my opinion, Disney did not sell off the Golden Oak property to someone outside Disney. I think that they decided to use a small parcel of land to take real estate development a bit further that a DVC type of real estate development. However, I do not think that they want to go as big as they did with Celebration. Another interesting point on all of this real estate stuff. Did you know that Disney still leases or owns several buildings within the town limits of Celebration. Also Celebration residents get their power and other utilities directly from RCID / Walt Disney World.

There are also many other companies associated with Golden Oak.
Such as:
GOLDEN OAK PHASE I HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION, INC.
GOLDEN OAK NON-RESIDENTIAL ASSOCIATION, INC.

This is also how they are setting up FLAMINGO CROSSINGS, LLC

All of these companies are based at the 1375 Buena Vista address.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So in my opinion, Disney did not sell off the Golden Oak property to someone outside Disney. I think that they decided to use a small parcel of land to take real estate development a bit further that a DVC type of real estate development. However, I do not think that they want to go as big as they did with Celebration. Another interesting point on all of this real estate stuff. Did you know that Disney still leases or owns several buildings within the town limits of Celebration. Also Celebration residents get their power and other utilities directly from RCID / Walt Disney World.

No one is saying Golden Oak has nothing to do with Disney or its control - it's entirely controlled by Disney. But you will also find that the property was deannexed from RCID to prevent the owners from having a say within RCID's activities... just like celebration was. The reason golden oak was brought up here was an example of how Disney was developing it's WDW property as a real estate developer.. instead of a entertainment company.

The companies you list, etc are typical of any residential development. The developer has an interest (in this case, Disney and its silent partners), and the homeowners association becomes a legal entity... which is classically ran by the developer till a point in time where the community is built out enough that homeowners become the majority seats on the board.

Monorail_Red_77

No one is saying Golden Oak has nothing to do with Disney or its control - it's entirely controlled by Disney. But you will also find that the property was deannexed from RCID to prevent the owners from having a say within RCID's activities... just like celebration was. The reason golden oak was brought up here was an example of how Disney was developing it's WDW property as a real estate developer.. instead of a entertainment company.

The companies you list, etc are typical of any residential development. The developer has an interest (in this case, Disney and its silent partners), and the homeowners association becomes a legal entity... which is classically ran by the developer till a point in time where the community is built out enough that homeowners become the majority seats on the board.

Thanks Flynnibus for the extra clarification. I took it wrong perhaps when reading.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Hey guys, I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this area haven't driven that in more years than I care to admit. In theory what towns will this hypothetically empty into. Figure with that maybe I can maybe begin to visualize this. Thanks.

wogwog

Hey guys, I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this area haven't driven that in more years than I care to admit. In theory what towns will this hypothetically empty into. Figure with that maybe I can maybe begin to visualize this. Thanks.
Winter Garden and Windermere. Presently a two lane country road.

Mouse_Trap

So yes, they have sold off land, but the resort is still fairly secluded. I'd say the worst offender in the whole resort to ruin "seclusion" is the McDonalds right outside of the all-star resorts.

Yes, the giant McD's is awful....add to that the HESS garage and lets not forget the ghastly Swan and Dolphin buildings that can be seen from just about everywhere.

Figment2005

You can also access the TTC parking lot by using the dedicated handicap entrance on Floridian Way. I have a handicap placard and I am a long-time AP, but I have seen many guests sneak in without paying the $17 fee. We live in Windermere and have used the Center Drive entrance for years. The sign at the entrance specifically states the road is for CMs and Disney Resort Guests.
What dedicated handicap entrance? That is a cast member entrance.

I think they're referring to this sign:

jPln8OkyVe5SU.PNG

Although the only way to get there, as mentioned, is to enter from Reams (technically requiring you to be a CM, as Center Dr. is a private road, no?), or be staying at Poly/GF/Shades of Green.

Last edited:

peter11435

I think they're referring to this sign:

jPln8OkyVe5SU.PNG

Although the only way to get there, as mentioned, is to enter from Reams (technically requiring you to be a CM, as Center Dr. is a private road, no?), or be staying at Poly/GF/Shades of Green.
That makes sense. I assumed they were referring to a different entrance.

raven

The housing developement quickly growing north of the Disney property, this would be a wise decision to install. They've already had State Troopers directing traffic daily at the Reams intersection for over a year now due to the increased amount of people using that entrance.

Progress.City

Walt never wanted multiple theme parks in Florida. Go look at his plans at Hollywood Studios. Look at the airport and all the residential and commercial development. The look at the reasons for the state to allow a Disney government. Florida expected more permanent residents.

What has Walt Disney World become? A giant vacation resort with many days well over 250,000 peoples, including employees, in the 4 parks and tens of thousands more at the hotels and water parks. So has WDW lived up to the basic idea of showing how things cane be better? I do know. In some ways it has because transportation officials from all over the world visit WDW to study the transportation system. It is also an amazing place to see the laundry trains taking all the sheets, towels and other laundry to he laundry building. Then think of all the food needed to feed everyone. So is WDW what Walt thought it would be? No but I think he would be proud of it. He knew it would not be what he originally wanted and if he were still alive it may be different but does anyone actually think he thought the attendance would be over 50 million in 2013 and probably over 52 million in 2014. WDW is a wonderful and very enjoyable vacation resort. Many complain but many more just love it and in any case the vast majority keep coming back.
I disagree. Would His older brother Roy be proud of how it is today is a better question. I say yes, but disappointed Western River Expedition was never built, which was his pet project while he was alive.

The Florida property was supposed to be a living prototype of a perfectly planned city. The Magic Kingdom was planned into the project as a way to pay for the rest of it. Walt was never really enthused with the vacation kingdom part of the plan, but that's he he got his brother, the CEO, to agree to the rest of the development, the residential development.

Roy understood the theme park and vacation business because of years of practice and trial and error with Disneyland. Roy did understand this "future city" of Walt's. When Walt died, Roy's decision was to move forward with Phase I (the Magic Kingdom and the hotels) and to postpone the futuristic city prototype ("Phase II") for a CEO who might actually understand what Walt wanted to do. As "luck" would have it, when Roy died, the CEO's responsible for building Phase II, outright disagreed with what Walt wanted to do and decided instead to build on and expand the vacation resort that was successfully established in Phase I, paying respect to Walt by making his futuristic city the theme of WDW's second theme park.

I think Walt would be turning in his grave if he knew what WDW has become. I think Roy may be disappointed at first that successive CEO's couldn't figure out how to make his brother's ideas work, but he would probably be understanding since he couldn't make Walt's ideas work either. I think Roy would be thrilled to see how many hotels WDW had built and thrilled that the Magic Kingdom became such a success that the company was able to follow the success with the successful addition of three other separately gated theme parks on the property.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The Florida property was supposed to be a living prototype of a perfectly planned city. The Magic Kingdom was planned into the project as a way to pay for the rest of it. Walt was never really enthused with the vacation kingdom part of the plan, but that's he he got his brother, the CEO, to agree to the rest of the development, the residential development.

They had all along been searching for another location for theme parks.. and not simply the EPCOT concept. That's why the location studies included theme park needs and not just the needs of the prototype city. It's why they had been involved with other projects prior, including the Mineral King and St Louis projects. They knew they were going to build more theme parks... it just wasn't what Walt was passionate about himself anymore. He had already turned the page and was onto the next concept.

We shouldn't infer Walt was against anything besides EPCOT.. simply that the other stuff didn't interest him anymore to dedicate his time to it. Just like Walt had turned away from the studio once he got bit by his DL bug... and how he had turned away from the shorts prior to that when the features were what he was motivated by.

Roy understood the theme park and vacation business because of years of practice and trial and error with Disneyland. Roy did understand this "future city" of Walt's. When Walt died, Roy's decision was to move forward with Phase I (the Magic Kingdom and the hotels) and to postpone the futuristic city prototype ("Phase II") for a CEO who might actually understand what Walt wanted to do. As "luck" would have it, when Roy died, the CEO's responsible for building Phase II, outright disagreed with what Walt wanted to do and decided instead to build on and expand the vacation resort that was successfully established in Phase I, paying respect to Walt by making his futuristic city the theme of WDW's second theme park.

I find your retelling of the 'EPCOT problem' and how Skalar and the team went about trying to flesh the idea out extremely disturbing in inaccuracy.

raven

I thought Epcot was originally to be built first? And when Walt died WDI didn't know how to move forward with it so they pushed ahead MK first. Then the problems with making Epcot an actually city (with it's own government) caused so many legal headaches that it was just transformed into a park. At least this was told by a tour guide to us in 1983 when I first visited Epcot and have always believed that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I thought Epcot was originally to be built first? And when Walt died WDI didn't know how to move forward with it so they pushed ahead MK first. Then the problems with making Epcot an actually city (with it's own government) caused so many legal headaches that it was just transformed into a park. At least this was told by a tour guide to us in 1983 when I first visited Epcot and have always believed that.

That's much closer to reality than the CEO bit... They shelved the EPCOT concept for lack of direction and vision initially in the wake of Walt's death.. and then after WDW launched, Walker turned to WDI and said 'figure it out'. WDI then spent several years in the 70s doing research and solicitation with industry and influences trying to flush out what EPCOT really should be. The making into a theme park came at the tail end of it, not the start of it. Marty Sklar talks about it extensively in his book as he was a key player by that time.

Progress.City

They had all along been searching for another location for theme parks.. and not simply the EPCOT concept. That's why the location studies included theme park needs and not just the needs of the prototype city. It's why they had been involved with other projects prior, including the Mineral King and St Louis projects. They knew they were going to build more theme parks... it just wasn't what Walt was passionate about himself anymore. He had already turned the page and was onto the next concept.

We shouldn't infer Walt was against anything besides EPCOT.. simply that the other stuff didn't interest him anymore to dedicate his time to it. Just like Walt had turned away from the studio once he got bit by his DL bug... and how he had turned away from the shorts prior to that when the features were what he was motivated by.

I find your retelling of the 'EPCOT problem' and how Skalar and the team went about trying to flesh the idea out extremely disturbing in inaccuracy.
I was just expressing an opinion on what I think the two Disney brothers would think of WDW today. Nothing more. Nothing less. That is my opinion. Thanks, however, for clarifying the historical angle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom