WDW to Build New North Entrance to Property

DCBaker

Premium Member
We just received an email from Shades of Green stating that the work between Shades of Green and Grand Floridian will be starting May 1. The walkway between SoG and the Poly will be closing at this time. ☹️

Shades of Green has also posted this update on their Facebook page -

APRIL 5 UPDATE: We’ve read your feedback and understand that change is difficult. We were happy to offer this benefit to our guests for many years and we are also disappointed to learn it will no longer be an option. Here are the answers to some of your questions:

1. Will the walkway closure be temporary during the road construction or permanent?

No, the walkway closure will be permanent. At its conclusion the World Drive expansion will be a four lane highway with no crosswalk.

2. How long will the construction project take?

It’s projected to be completed in 2027.

3. Can’t we just walk alongside the road to access the Polynesian?

No, the sidewalk will be removed from the Polynesian side as well. For safety reasons, security will not permit guests to exit or enter property on foot through the driveways.

4. I want to visit the Polynesian, how can I get there now?

If you have a dining reservation:
• You can drive and park for free at the Polynesian
• Take SOG bus to TTC and walk to the Polynesian
• Take SOG bus to TTC and take the resort monorail to the Polynesian
• Use a rideshare service (Lyft, Uber, or MinnieVan)

If you do not have a dining reservation:

5. Can I still use transportation at the Polynesian to get around Disney?

Yes, you can take our bus to the TTC and access the various transportation options that the Polynesian offers (buses, resort monorail, boats, etc.)
STEP 1: SOG bus to the TTC – approx. 7 min travel time
STEP 2:
• Resort Monorail TTC stop: join the line – approx. 2 min walk
• For Disney Parks Bus Access: Walk from TTC to Polynesian Bus Stop – approx. 5 min walk
• For Boats to Magic Kingdom or Resort Monorail Polynesian stop: walk from TTC to Polynesian Great Ceremonial House – approx. 8 min walk

6. With the sidewalk closure I’d prefer to stay elsewhere, but I’m stuck because I’m within 30 days of arrival.

We hope it’s not the case, however any guests who had confirmed reservations prior to this announcement (April 4, 2023) and wish to cancel will not be assessed a cancellation fee.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It would be nice if they return that benefit - if only for the TTC at least. It would certainly help those with accessibility needs
IIRC, all the "friend hotel" benefits are billed annually to the hotels using them. This is certainly something Army MWR will want to look into.

drnilescrane

1. Will the walkway closure be temporary during the road construction or permanent?

No, the walkway closure will be permanent. At its conclusion the World Drive expansion will be a four lane highway with no crosswalk.
This all unfortunately makes sense. They are re-routing World Drive around the Polynesian CM parking and Grand Floridian CM parking to fully eliminate pedestrian crossings. They built overpasses to do the same at Disney Springs.

I wonder if they'll find a way to eliminate the crossing on the walkway to the Contemporary.

Angel Ariel

IIRC, all the "friend hotel" benefits are billed annually to the hotels using them. This is certainly something Army MWR will want to look into.
I plan on writing to Shades, just haven’t had the time as this week is spring break. On my list though!

Aries1975

1DC41D4D-972D-438D-B1BA-1B60C8EB0139.jpeg

These may be a better solution than a pedestrian bridge. A bridge is definitely safer, but expensive and I seldom see them being used where installed.

Cousin Huet

Shades of Green has also posted this update on their Facebook page -

APRIL 5 UPDATE: We’ve read your feedback and understand that change is difficult. We were happy to offer this benefit to our guests for many years and we are also disappointed to learn it will no longer be an option. Here are the answers to some of your questions:

2. How long will the construction project take?

It’s projected to be completed in 2027.

3. Can’t we just walk alongside the road to access the Polynesian?

No, the sidewalk will be removed from the Polynesian side as well. For safety reasons, security will not permit guests to exit or enter property on foot through the driveways.

4. I want to visit the Polynesian, how can I get there now?

If you have a dining reservation:
• You can drive and park for free at the Polynesian

If you do not have a dining reservation:

5. Can I still use transportation at the Polynesian to get around Disney?

Yes, you can take our bus to the TTC and access the various transportation options that the Polynesian offers (buses, resort monorail, boats, etc.)
STEP 1: SOG bus to the TTC – approx. 7 min travel time
STEP 2:
• Resort Monorail TTC stop: join the line – approx. 2 min walk
• For Disney Parks Bus Access: Walk from TTC to Polynesian Bus Stop – approx. 5 min walk
• For Boats to Magic Kingdom or Resort Monorail Polynesian stop: walk from TTC to Polynesian Great Ceremonial House – approx. 8 min walk

6. With the sidewalk closure I’d prefer to stay elsewhere, but I’m stuck because I’m within 30 days of arrival.

We hope it’s not the case, however any guests who had confirmed reservations prior to this announcement (April 4, 2023) and wish to cancel will not be assessed a cancellation fee.

It’s an absolute joke they are doing this. Besides being a slap in the face to the military members, it is going to cause a zoo at the bus for SOG. Those of us that walked knowing that many of our fellow servicemen can’t and need the bus will now have to join in which will inconvenience all and increase those waiting and the wait time for all. I’m not surprised at all. Disney will take this property back in the future as they continue to push out the military. I wonder what will be cut to cover the cost of losing two whole theme parks to the CCP?

MagicHappens1971

It’s an absolute joke they are doing this. Besides being a slap in the face to the military members, it is going to cause a zoo at the bus for SOG. Those of us that walked knowing that many of our fellow servicemen can’t and need the bus will now have to join in which will inconvenience all and increase those waiting and the wait time for all. I’m not surprised at all. Disney will take this property back in the future as they continue to push out the military. I wonder what will be cut to cover the cost of losing two whole theme parks to the CCP?
I don’t mean to sound ignorant, but Disney is doing a construction project, not maliciously taking away the walkway. Where is the evidence that “Disney will take the property back and continue to push out the military”?

vikescaper

I highly doubt that Disney will take the property back. As much as I am upset that the walkway is being removed, Floridian Way does need to be upgraded and there have been numerous times where my party has had close calls while crossing the road. My sincere hope is that SOG and Disney can work together to find a better solution.

castlecake2.0

You have definitely given us lots to think about

Cousin Huet

I don’t mean to sound ignorant, but Disney is doing a construction project, not maliciously taking away the walkway. Where is the evidence that “Disney will take the property back and continue to push out the military”?
Disney could easily incorporate the continued access of SOG guests to these areas if they cared to do so but they don’t. Disney has continuously cut back on military benefits including just intentionally making it more difficult in function for no good reason ever since they began to climb back the other way in their business success at the parks. I’ve been in for 23 years and using the benefits since the inception.

Disney eyeing the SOG location as something they desire is my educated opinion based on many of their business efforts over the years. The expansion of premium experiences and premium prices, the nickel and dime efforts against guests, and their yearly efforts to scale back military available rooms and other efforts to make it more financially beneficial to them. This particular event is a huge slap in the face in a long line of them for us that come often and use these different options. We are a small % of the population, a much smaller % of the guest there but Disney wants to pinch pennies and regain valuable property. That is my OPINION but I think you will see in time unless someone steps-in.

vikescaper

Disney could easily incorporate the continued access of SOG guests to these areas if they cared to do so but they don’t. Disney has continuously cut back on military benefits including just intentionally making it more difficult in function for no good reason ever since they began to climb back the other way in their business success at the parks. I’ve been in for 23 years and using the benefits since the inception.

Disney eyeing the SOG location as something they desire is my educated opinion based on many of their business efforts over the years. The expansion of premium experiences and premium prices, the nickel and dime efforts against guests, and their yearly efforts to scale back military available rooms and other efforts to make it more financially beneficial to them. This particular event is a huge slap in the face in a long line of them for us that come often and use these different options. We are a small % of the population, a much smaller % of the guest there but Disney wants to pinch pennies and regain valuable property. That is my OPINION but I think you will see in time unless someone steps-in.
We are going off topic when we are discussing the removal of benefits that SoG guests have. That said, Disney already had a golf resort and ended up selling it to the DoD. I can’t see them wanting the property back when there is other pieces of property they could develop with better transportation options.

Last edited:

Cousin Huet

Pretty sure DoD outright owns SoG now. It a was a long term lease initially I believe. So the only way WDW can force them out is to purchase the resort back.
Yea, they own the structures but not the land it is sitting on. It absolutely would be a purchase by Disney whether openly hostile or through making life hard in a more casual manner. The DOD does own the structures though.

Cousin Huet

We are going off tropic when we are discussing the removal of benefits that SoG guests have. That said, Disney already had a golf resort and ended up selling it to the DoD. I can’t see them wanting the property back when there is other pieces of property they could develop with better transportation options.
We are definitely off TROPIC and you will only get there via bus going forward. I think it all links together and I think the idea that Disney hasn’t changed in a way that would make them desire that very good piece of real estate back is naive but we all have our own opinions and mine is that of someone who has first hand had Disney attacking the Mil perks at an exponentially greater rate.

JoeCamel

I thought one of the driving reasons SoG was built where it was was that the land is only marginally suitable for further development? Like old landfills a golf course can be an asset in recreation while fulfilling another purpose making the land part of the resort rather than another woodland or swamp.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Wikipedia has a good summary of how SoG came to be. The salient point is the similar as that plagues them with Marvel characters in Florida... a contractual agreement. In this case, the Department of Defence owns all the buildings of the resort (bought for 43 Million while Disney was in a credit panic with impending demise of Euro Disneyland) and has a 100-year ground lease that started in 1994.

DoD would be willing to make a deal of course for the remaining 71 years, but it would be very pricey for the Mouse. DoD would just contract out another resort in the Orlando area and have upwards of several hundred million left over because, after all, this is primarily an Armed Forces Recreation Center, one of five globally. I've stayed at 3 of the 5 and each is very different from the other but all are another home for us.

Tha Realest

Wikipedia has a good summary of how SoG came to be. The salient point is the similar as that plagues them with Marvel characters in Florida... a contractual agreement. In this case, the Department of Defence owns all the buildings of the resort (bought for 43 Million while Disney was in a credit panic with impending demise of Euro Disneyland) and has a 100-year ground lease that started in 1994.

DoD would be willing to make a deal of course for the remaining 71 years, but it would be very pricey for the Mouse. DoD would just contract out another resort in the Orlando area and have upwards of several hundred million left over because, after all, this is primarily an Armed Forces Recreation Center, one of five globally. I've stayed at 3 of the 5 and each is very different from the other but all are another home for us.
Seems like the DOD bailed out Disney at crucial junctures in its history and this is how they’re repaid. Figures. CFTOD should do something about this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom