WDW Ticket Prices

Mouse_Trap

DL's is lower because of them trying to fight the resale of unused days.

Why does DL have an issue with resale of unused days? I assumed that as this had been mostly eliminated in WDW years ago, it would be the same for DL.

This fall, I have a DVC Studio reserved for some friends at Disney's Boardwalk Villas for $61/night.

Now thats cheap! Are you including your initial purchase in that price? Or just splitting the annual charge per night?

So... tomorrow is Friday. Think we'll see the classic 'bury the bad news in the Friday (everyone is going home..) news cycle??"

It was even headlines in a major UK newspaper yesterday (Friday). I thought at first the rumoured increase had been announced, after reading though it seems like they just reporting the same as other outlets.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-World-Walt-Disney-ticket-prices-set-100.html

You also don't pay tax on a Disneyland ticket which saves some money there.

I never knew that before. Is that just the differences between Florida and California tax codes?

Ok folks, I am heading to the World in the not so distant future as part of a cruise. We are staying at BLT at the end for one night. We plan on hitting MK just because we couldn't not hit it. Think I should buy my 1 day park ticket before midnight? I value your opinions.

I don't see any point in chancing it, 100% you won't save any money by holding on. The only way you could lose out is by having to drop the money now rather than in a few weeks time.
It seems a 1 day pass will rise about $5.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why does DL have an issue with resale of unused days? I assumed that as this had been mostly eliminated in WDW years ago, it would be the same for DL.

Probably because most people visit DL for shorter periods and not necessarily as part of a Disney-only vacation.. less people are buying 'packages'. At DL, the demand for single day tickets is quite high.. so there is a lot of room to offer significant discounts vs gate prices if you had a multi-day ticket. They'd buy a max duration ticket and pay less than 50% of the gate cost of a ticket.. then 'rent' the ticket out to people at 80% of the gate price. Easy 30% return.

WDW has the biometrics to try to discourage the behavior... DL did not. I think it's just a combination of the visiting patterns and how agressive Disney was about it. DLR finally got serious about it when they cut the longer tickets, and then about 3(?) years ago started with the photos for all multi-day ticket users.

I never knew that before. Is that just the differences between Florida and California tax codes?

Yes, just different state tax laws. In CA amusement park tickets are tax-free.

RSoxNo1

Interesting that the Disney Parks Blog didn't post this today. Has this been picked up by a bunch of news sources from a bad original story?

drp4video

Just booked a three night visit for May. I used to buy AP as my daughter and I went two to four times a year until my daughter turned 17 and started college. So then we bought 10 non-expiration hoppers which got us three trips in three years. Keep in mind Disney still made a lot of money as we had to pay for the resort stay and food. Last time I went I did a 4 day pass. It has now been three years since I have gone (longest time between visits ever). She is 27 and as much as we love Disney, we are moving on and have opted to visit Paris, London, Punta Cana...etc.

This trip I am going with my 82 year old mother and the most we will spend is probably two days in the parks. I don't want to buy tickets in advance because it will depend on how mom does after the first day. (don't want to over do), so I guess I will bite the bullet and wait till I get there to buy the tickets. This of course means we won't be getting advance FP+ either. I am still torn about getting myself at least more than two days and making them non-expirational as I have a lot of disney points from my disney visa. But with all the changes at Disney, and until I experience them it looks to me that they are not for the better, I think I am going to pass as I am just not going to go as much, and use the points to possibly go to the Disney Resort in Hawaii.

I do try to put it into perspective though. $100 for a ticket to a park, where I can stay all day and most of the night, does give me more bang for my buck than a $100 for a ticket to a three hour play, hockey game, etc...

MagicHappens1971

Just booked a three night visit for May. I used to buy AP as my daughter and I went two to four times a year until my daughter turned 17 and started college. So then we bought 10 non-expiration hoppers which got us three trips in three years. Keep in mind Disney still made a lot of money as we had to pay for the resort stay and food. Last time I went I did a 4 day pass. It has now been three years since I have gone (longest time between visits ever). She is 27 and as much as we love Disney, we are moving on and have opted to visit Paris, London, Punta Cana...etc.

This trip I am going with my 82 year old mother and the most we will spend is probably two days in the parks. I don't want to buy tickets in advance because it will depend on how mom does after the first day. (don't want to over do), so I guess I will bite the bullet and wait till I get there to buy the tickets. This of course means we won't be getting advance FP+ either. I am still torn about getting myself at least more than two days and making them non-expirational as I have a lot of disney points from my disney visa. But with all the changes at Disney, and until I experience them it looks to me that they are not for the better, I think I am going to pass as I am just not going to go as much, and use the points to possibly go to the Disney Resort in Hawaii.

I do try to put it into perspective though. $100 for a ticket to a park, where I can stay all day and most of the night, does give me more bang for my buck than $100's for a ticket to a three hour play, hockey game, et...

Disney tickets will no longer be able to be non-expirational as stated here

msteel

I do try to put it into perspective though. $100 for a ticket to a park, where I can stay all day and most of the night, does give me more bang for my buck than a $100 for a ticket to a three hour play, hockey game, etc...

You can have your cake and eat it too. Buy single day tickets now before tomorrow's price increase. If that is all you end up using then you come out ahead. Near the end of the first day in the park you will know about the next day. If you want another day, add a day to your ticket instead of buying another ticket (but do this the same day because once the ticket is used up you cannot add another day). The difference between two one-day tickets and a two-day ticket isn't huge, but it is a way to get a bit of savings.

If you buy from a discount reseller (e.g. Undercover Tourist, etc) then you may actually get credit for the current gate value rather than the price you paid.

Plus, you get to reserve advance FastPasses if you want. (EDIT - On the first day at least)

Last edited:

note2001

What will hapoen if I want to upgrade a non expiration unused ticket later on in the year. Will Disney refuse?

That's determined by how Disney decides to go about it. They could refuse, but more likely since it's unused, with lots of standing around and a manager's manager's approval they may offer you the equivalent back in an expiring ticket (no money back), and allow you to upgrade the days or features on that (add hopper, water parks etc.) All in all, you're just best off keeping the pass in it's non-expiration form for future years. You can even hand it off to another person if it's unused.

The main reason they won't be able to add days onto these non expiring passes is that those options will be out of the system for sale and upgrade. They can reprint existing passes if you have the info from the back, but can't create new ones which is what adding days comes down to.

Last edited:

note2001

I wanted to upgrade it to an annual pass. :-(

That, they might let you do! ( AP holders spend more money at Disney ;) ) Aps are still in the system, although I have no idea what they'll base your non-exp pass price off of. Maybe the last known price in the system. It never hurts to ask.

gavvy

I hope so. Its a 5 day non experation non hopper pass so it really restrictive. I suppose nobody is going to know for a few weeks if I can do it.... that's if Disney actually stop the non experation in the first place!

bhg469

Hearing reports of super long lines at the ticket booth outside MK.

If $5 is the make-or-break point for going to Disney, then you really couldn't afford it in the first place.
I don't know dave, it seems that people still love to extend their credit whenever they feel like they can. Those same people buying a ticket today may not have been able to afford the tickets 15 dollars ago but still go through with it.

Mouse_Trap

WDW has the biometrics to try to discourage the behavior... DL did not. I think it's just a combination of the visiting patterns and how agressive Disney was about it. DLR finally got serious about it when they cut the longer tickets, and then about 3(?) years ago started with the photos for all multi-day ticket users.

Ah ok. Despite having been, I forgot DLR doesn't use the fingerprint scanners. I just assumed they did because they had been at WDW for so long.

You would think that rolling them out would be an easy fix to the majority of the problem. I wonder why they haven't?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom