WDW Ticket Prices

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It was on the local radio station ...talk radio....anyway the call in segment was going crazy with people saying how they wouldn't be spending over $400 a day just to get their families into a theme park. We shall see if it really impacts Disney. We are going down in 13 days and after this trip we will be taking break from WDW...hope to visit DL and other locations.
Disney is expensive, there is no denying that, but the $400 a day for a family of 4 figure is simply wrong. Using that $400 a figure is like calculating your weekly food cost by using numbers from eating out 3 meals a day.

The only way it costs you that much is if you go for only 1 day. A 5 day ticket cuts that price by 35%. Extend it to a 7 and you are half that price. If you are a Florida resident you can cut 35% with only a 3 day ticket.

Jon81uk

Disney is expensive, there is no denying that, but the $400 a day for a family of 4 figure is simply wrong. Using that $400 a figure is like calculating your weekly food cost by using numbers from eating out 3 meals a day.

The only way it costs you that much is if you go for only 1 day. A 5 day ticket cuts that price by 35%. Extend it to a 7 and you are half that price. If you are a Florida resident you can cut 35% with only a 3 day ticket.

I was thinking that this is why prices for Disneyland California and Paris are cheaper than the Magic Kingdom as people generally only do 1-3 days at these parks. Then I checked and realsied that tickets aren't that much cheaper.
1 day 1 park Disneyland California is still $96
1 day 1 park Disneyland Paris is the equivalent of $82 (£53) But park hopping in Paris is cheaper.

Animaniac93-98

The only way it costs you that much is if you go for only 1 day.

Except some people only want, or have time to go for a day.

Not everyone who visits Florida spends 5 days in theme parks.

I was thinking that this is why prices for Disneyland California and Paris are cheaper than the Magic Kingdom as people generally only do 1-3 days at these parks. Then I checked and realsied that tickets aren't that much cheaper.
1 day 1 park Disneyland California is still $96
1 day 1 park Disneyland Paris is the equivalent of $82 (£53) But park hopping in Paris is cheaper.

You also don't pay tax on a Disneyland ticket which saves some money there.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Except some people only want, or have time to go for a day.

Not everyone who visits Florida spends 5 days in theme parks.
Quite true, but it is far from the norm. Disney also has no motivation to really cater to one day visitors.

My main frustration is the news media always looks for the most extreme example for no other reason than click bait.

ParentsOf4

My point was more the "save as you stay" logic doesn't mean anything to those who only go for a day.
Oh I agree 100%. However, I know several families that either haven't been or haven't been in a long time and they are going for either 3 or 4 days and then going to other parks.
There's a reason a 4-day base MYW costs $294 but a 5-day ticket costs only $10 more.

Most guests are buying 4 days or less. That works out to $294 per day for a family of 4 or $1176 for the 4 days.

Whether it's $400/day for a family of 4 or $294/day times 4 days for a family of 4, that still works out to a healthy chunk of change. :D

Victor Kelly

We buy the number of days that match how many days we are staying, which is always on property. Even if we take days off from Disney, we have tickets for those days mainly for ADRs, and those are normally in Epcot.

It is true, the more you buy the cheaper is gets. I think we were at $7 or less per day with a 14 day stay back in 2010 after the beginning cost.

note2001

Another article: http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...icles/cfn/2014/2/22/walt_disney_world_to.html

There's a great graph of historic prices with adjustment for inflation as well to see the extreme climb the prices have taken over the years.

Higher prices on everything seems to be the trend these days. The cost of basic upkeep is probably not too far off from what it was (adjusted for inflation of course) but add to that all the extras we have these days with high IT costs (software, hardware and connectivity) as well as much higher benefit overheads ... not to mention legal compliance with every breath they take and it's quite understandable why the prices are high. Not saying I like it LOL.

I'd be curious what a chart would look like comparing the cost of admission to Disney stock. I already know in the past few years the stock has increased faster than the admission, but what about in the long term?

DougK

Does everyone here really think park attendance will drop because of this new increase?

If not then I don't see why Disney would hesitate to raise the prices again.

If we stop going to the parks in such large numbers then Disney will rethink this, until then expect regular price increases. It's as simple as that.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Higher prices on everything seems to be the trend these days. The cost of basic upkeep is probably not too far off from what it was (adjusted for inflation of course) but add to that all the extras we have these days with high IT costs (software, hardware and connectivity) as well as much higher benefit overheads ... not to mention legal compliance with every breath they take and it's quite understandable why the prices are high. Not saying I like it LOL.

I'd be curious what a chart would look like comparing the cost of admission to Disney stock. I already know in the past few years the stock has increased faster than the admission, but what about in the long term?
Construction materials (wood, steel, concrete, etc) are priced similar to commodities and their prices can vary by a wide margin from day to day. Prices often spike up, settle down a little but rarely seem to return to the previous lowest point.

note2001

Does everyone here really think park attendance will drop because of this new increase?

If not then I don't see why Disney would hesitate to raise the prices again.

If we stop going to the parks in such large numbers then Disney will rethink this, until then expect regular price increases. It's as simple as that.

Attendance will only drop significantly if another major event occurs, and hopefully won't. The days of meandering around a park with 20 minute or less wait times are over.

What bothers me is Disney is sure to increase their capacity at both AK and MK after the construction on each is done and they can point to more room for folks to disperse in to justify it. This might be fine for AK, but lines at MK will only get longer without new attractions. Independence Day in the hub will be a nightmare of biblical proportions if all of the expanded hub and main street are filled in with bodies. (Yes, I know the idea is to keep those outer rings open for traffic flow, but this doesn't mean they won't change this up for special events.) Personally, I never watch wishes from either as it is due to crowding. Count me as one who will be running away from the park. :)

I'd much rather see Disney conduct small increases on their pass prices annually than to see large jumps in price every few years when we least expect it.

Last edited:

CJR

I am curious at what point Disney will find the peak. Will they ever? In California, the crowds were blamed on AP's, but I don't think that is the case in FL. It's just busy in general in FL. A great problem for the company to have, not so great as a guest. Disney, if they do increase their prices, is rightfully taking advantage of their supply and demand.

pacostrano

Usually I go twice a year but I'm a Canadian and with our dollar going down and the price rising up it's gonna be hard to go every year now. Also, there is a lot of refurb, construction and closed attraction (at Hollywood Studio's), they should keep the price the same thing.

EOD K9

Ok folks, I am heading to the World in the not so distant future as part of a cruise. We are staying at BLT at the end for one night. We plan on hitting MK just because we couldn't not hit it. Think I should buy my 1 day park ticket before midnight? I value your opinions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom