WDW Still Struggling with Safety and Unions

ImperfectPixie

Unions have sooo much power it’s sickening, they can smear what ever they want to get what they need to accomplish, heck they are still keeping Disneyland closed down. This just popped up in my feed though https://www.themeparktourist.com/ne...s-dispute-walt-disney-world-next-level-creepy

Feels like Disney is testing out wether out they can have a successful business without live acting and shows...
Unions do A LOT to protect workers from being treated like garbage. If anything, the US needs more of them to prevent corporations from treating people as if they're expendable.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Unions do A LOT to protect workers from being treated like garbage. If anything, the US needs more of them to prevent corporations from treating people as if they're expendable.
That die was cast some 40+ years ago.
No the free market does that.
...says no economist ever.
You’re confusing “capital growth” with “labor theory”....not the same things.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No the free market does that.

History shows that that has almost never been the case.

The whole reason there was a worker's movement (and resultant Communism and unions that came from it) were because of how completely inhumanely workers were treated.

I don't suppose you've heard of child labor in the US? There are laws now to prevent that kind of abuse, thanks to unions organizing and pushing for candidates and laws to prevent child labor. Weren't you made to read an Upton Sinclair novel in high school? Dickens? Sixty hour work weeks? Deadly work conditions?

Also, and this is the blind spot for all "invisible hand of the free market" fans: In a free market, people are free. Free to negotiate a salary and working conditions for themselves. Free to collectively negotiate a salary and working conditions for themselves, that is, free to unionize.

Unions are a direct result of a market that is free. Free to unionize.

And to address the next point that always comes up: Can an union become corrupt? Yes, any human organization can, e.g., corporations can be corrupt. That doesn't mean we abolish unions nor corporations.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
History shows that that has almost never been the case.

The whole reason there was a worker's movement (and resultant Communism and unions that came from it) were because of how completely inhumanely workers were treated.

I don't suppose you've heard of child labor in the US? There are laws now to prevent that kind of abuse, thanks to unions organizing and pushing for candidates and laws to prevent child labor. Weren't you made to read an Upton Sinclair novel in high school? Dickens? Sixty hour work weeks? Deadly work conditions?

Also, and this is the blind spot for all "invisible hand of the free market" fans: In a free market, people are free. Free to negotiate a salary and working conditions for themselves. Free to collectively negotiate a salary and working conditions for themselves, that is, free to unionize.

And to address the next point that always comes up: Can an union become corrupt? Yes, any human organization can, e.g., corporations can be corrupt. That doesn't mean we abolish unions nor corporations.
..:I can’t anynore...

If you’ve read that someone is stating unfettered capitalism is good for unionized labor....you’ve read everything.

And before I get labeled a Bolshevik...I have very mixed opinions about the cons AND pros in organized labor...it is a mixed bag for sure. My whole life. I’ve seen the good that comes out of them and the corruption when they veer off the rails. That’s what a history near Pittsburgh and then New York City will do for you...

But this suggestion was frankly insane.

I’ll move on.

RaiseTheShields

Disney has the upper hand - specifically with the AEA negotiations (or lack there of). WDW AEA Cast and AEA Leadership are having a very public battle while Disney quietly reopens venues without them. I understand both sides, but this is a terrible time to try to get your way with the usual tactics. What a bummer.

lewisc

Broadway is months away from a possible reopening. I'm sure Disney doesnt want to try and open if it's on actors equity black list.

natatomic

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

I haven’t seen this posted here yet
We were talking about this yesterday at https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/walt...-equity-performers-to-return-to-the-parks.htm

nickys

Premium Member
Didn't take long after they started modifying shows to open without equity.

Except that Equity got what they wanted, which is testing of their members.

And there is no evidence that the show modifications were being made to open without Equity, the shows would need to be modified anyway. No way could they put on Indy without Equity members, and someone here posted it has been re-written to take out certain scenes like the market crowd. And given the singing and dancing in other shows, there will have to be modifications made to them even with Equity performers.

Lilofan

Except that Equity got what they wanted, which is testing of their members.

And there is no evidence that the show modifications were being made to open without Equity, the shows would need to be modified anyway. No way could they put on Indy without Equity members, and someone here posted it has been re-written to take out certain scenes like the market crowd. And given the singing and dancing in other shows, there will have to be modifications made to them even with Equity performers.
It's sad that the parks have been open for several weeks and the guests who have already returned home will miss out on the upcoming live equity shows.

Tom P.

Absolutely, and I have no problem with that as long as that freedom exists on both sides. Companies should have the freedom to say that they will not negotiate collectively, but only individually. Companies should be free to say that if you unionize, you don't work there any more. And employees should be free to take their services elsewhere if a company is hostile to their collective bargaining efforts. But that is not usually the kind of arrangement pro-union people want. They want freedom on one side of the equation only.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom