WDW Space Mountain is better than Disneyland's. Change my mind.

Which Space Mountain is better, WDW or DL?

• WDW

Votes: 31 45.6%
  • DL

Votes: 37 54.4%

• Total voters

Virtual Toad

DLP's original was awesome if much more intense than its U.S. counterparts.

I would give WDW's FedEx (and earlier) incarnations the edge over Disneyland's Space Mountain only because of its free-will choice of tracks to ride, the awesome queue and Speedramp-infused postshow. A more complete experience that in its heyday made it a true classic and one of the all-time greats.

But today's WDW Space Mountain is literally a hollowed-out shell of its former self (a huge pet peeve for me, you can find my long list of grievances elsewhere on these boards if you want to know more).

So without the complete experience, and with so many downgrades at WDW's SM over the years, I have to give top honors to the Disneyland version. Its track, while not as complex, builds to an oh-so-satisfying crescendo, making the ride so much more than the sum of its parts. Add the on-board music (I've experienced the Dick Dale surf guitar, Michael Giacchino and Hyperspace Mountain versions and love them all!) and DL's Space Mountain is currently light years ahead in terms of fun and excitement for me.

Misted Compass

While I love the DL version (it's one of my favorite rides at the park) I just have to give the edge to WDW. Thrilling layout aside, the show scenes on the pre-lift/lift are much better with the light tunnel actually working and the main lift having physical props and figures. I do think DL flows better as an experience (it really is a "crescendo" as another user described it) but it's not enough to compensate for its flaws. The DL version may be greater than the sum of its parts but it's still slightly less than the sum of WDW's parts.

Bryan_the_Imagineer

One Space Mountain that hasn't been mentioned yet is Tokyo's. Not only does it have key features of pre-2005 Space Mountain, like the Speedramp entrance and the windows looking into the ride, but it overall has a dark, mysterious, unknown feel to it creating a chilling experience that makes it IMO one of the best Space Mountains on earth as of now.

Cmdr_Crimson

Well, if we were to have what the 2009 refurbishment was going to give us and not the polished piece of blah we got...MK's would have been the best...

Along with it was a planned LED lighting package that was going to happen on the peoplemover as it was still running during the refurb and IMO it really made TL more vibrant..

The Rocketeer

I went to Disneyland for the first time back in February. I heard from many people that if you like drops WDW’s is the better ride. I watched a lights on POV of DLR’s version before hand and fully expected it to be a boring ride since it didn’t have any airtime and no sudden drops so I had very low expectations. I did like it more than I thought I would. I love the soundtrack! That’s definitely a point for DLR’s. I also like the old Dick Dale one, I wish I could have experienced that version.

That being said I still enjoy WDW’s version more despite the lack of on-board audio. I do really miss the exit speed ramp and the green screens (though it’s outdated tech). I also hate with a passion the stupid safety information spiel that disrupts the star tunnel music in that portion of the queue.

Something that WDW’s version does so much better is the queue and the music. I love how it transitions from an upbeat positive lobby score to the star corridor music (which is a sped up version of Here’s to the Future and You) which feels like you’re moving through space to the almost eerie music that’s at the top of the ramp before you get to the load area. It really makes you feel like you’re in deep space at that point. The only part of the queue at DLR that really feels grand and spacey is when you get in the load room and see the ship hanging.

I also prefer the layout. I think the flashing blue lights work so much better going down hill and I like the one continuous lift hill instead of it being split up, plus I love the astronauts and their control centers, having the rockets zoom by you, and looking down and seeing the Peoplemover too.

Obviously this just comes down to personal preference but my vote is WDW.

michmousefan

The "Station 77" on-ride audio with the fantastic Giacchino score is what nudges it over the top for me over Starport 75. But... with a lot of TLC, β€” some serious track work and improved trains with real on-ride audio β€” WDW's version could reclaim the advantage; it doesn't seem insurmountable.

wdwfan22

The Walt Disney World version of Space Mountain is more thrilling in my opinion. Disneyland's version was fun and the audio is nice, but i'll take the Magic Kingdom version any day.

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
Erm, everything about the DL SM is better than WDW. Better cars (two abreast seating versus single row), soundtrack (speakers behind each rider), track (somebody said WDW track was better, I disagree), seasonal overlays make it more interesting too. Admittedly, I visited DL countless times over roughly a 30 year period so there is that bias, but the elements I mention stand up, at least subjectively. In addition, I feel that every attraction duplicated at both parks is better at DL. BTMR is better (new cars, new track, enhanced FX, none of which exist at WDW), Buzz Lightyear (called Astro Blasters at DL) has guns that are connected only by cables and so are much easier to aim at targets). HM is slightly different (talking the showbox/ride itself, not the facade), but I absolutely LOVE the NMBC overlay they do (smell that gingerbread house) during the holidays. I think they should just keep that all year long. POTC has the lovely bayou entry that floats past the Blue Bayou restaurant.

mickEblu

People around here (on the DL side) seem to not love Hyperspace Mountain but it might be my favorite version of Space Mountain. I’m old enough now to have experienced 4 versions of Space Mountain, 5 if you count Ghost Galaxy. The old no soundtrack version, Dick Dale, Michael G and Hyper. If you think about it, it’s much more organic to the theme to have a space battle/ Star Wars audio than to have a random soundtrack playing the entire time. I enjoy the Michael G version but I’m not sure I consider it the quintessential version of the attraction that perhaps younger people might. I think Hyperspace has a lot of energy and is the most fun of the DL versions and I could swear it’s faster. Haha. Maybe they just turn the fans up.

I was young, can anyone tell me more about the original DL Space? I know there was no onboard audio but was there any audio during the ride? What I really miss is that ethereal echo sound that used to play in the queue. I haven’t heard it in years.

In the Parks
No
People around here (on the DL side) seem to not love Hyperspace Mountain but it might be my favorite version of Space Mountain. I’m old enough now to have experienced 4 versions of Space Mountain, 5 if you count Ghost Galaxy. The old no soundtrack version, Dick Dale, Michael G and Hyper. If you think about it, it’s much more organic to the theme to have a space battle/ Star Wars audio than to have a random soundtrack playing the entire time. I enjoy the Michael G version but I’m not sure I consider it the quintessential version of the attraction that perhaps younger people might. I think Hyperspace has a lot of energy and is the most fun of the DL versions and I could swear it’s faster. Haha. Maybe they just turn the fans up.

I was young, can anyone tell me more about the original DL Space? I know there was no onboard audio but was there any audio during the ride? What I really miss is that ethereal echo sound that used to play in the queue. I haven’t heard it in years.
But did you ride Rockin' Mountain?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Orlando should be - and was - but it’s such an unloved mess today it’s difficult to vote for it.

Anaheim post 2005 is technically superior but surprisingly the none makeover version is quite boring (IMHO)

Paris 1995 was absolutely stunning. Paris 2005 was still amazing. Whilst smoother, Paris today is quite lacklustre with effects waiting to be replaced and the hash of theming.

Personally and surprisingly I vote Hong Kong. All the plus points of Anaheim but with its overlay has all its effects working including those Anaheim continues to miss. Minus point for the (lack of) decent queue and A lift darkness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom