WDW Space Mountain is better than Disneyland's. Change my mind.

Which Space Mountain is better, WDW or DL?

• WDW

Votes: 35 45.5%
  • DL

Votes: 42 54.5%

• Total voters

Deadly Danson

Objectively it's probably not WDW's but in my heart I love everything about it (and I've ridden them all). The single seats, the retro feel, the rough ride, the feeling of speed, the struggle to get off the thing, the darkness and the assumption that at any moment I'm either going to lose my head or the whole thing is going to collapse all combine to make Space Mountain at WDW my happy place - I could ride it all day. Minus points for losing the conveyer though.

SplashJacket

Orlando should be - and was - but it’s such an unloved mess today it’s difficult to vote for it.

Anaheim post 2005 is technically superior but surprisingly the none makeover version is quite boring (IMHO)

Paris 1995 was absolutely stunning. Paris 2005 was still amazing. Whilst smoother, Paris today is quite lacklustre with effects waiting to be replaced and the hash of theming.

Personally and surprisingly I vote Hong Kong. All the plus points of Anaheim but with its overlay has all its effects working including those Anaheim continues to miss. Minus point for the (lack of) decent queue and A lift darkness.
I also prefer HK’s space over Tokyo or Disneyland. They’re all turn left simulators and quite boring as coasters, but the Star Wars overlay is actually well done.

Touchdown

DL Space is the better attraction, MK is the better coaster. On DL I feel like I’m in a pulpy version of Space streaming through the cosmos, MK is more apparently a coaster in the dark, but it’s a fun wild coaster in the dark.

Cosmic Rewind is the best domestic Space Mtn.

Skibum1970

I highly prefer DL. I don't have my knees banged around or feel like I need a chiropractor afterward. I love the onboard audio and the coaster is just fun. WDW's was fun back in 1990 but I just don't enjoy it anymore.

I agree that Cosmic Rewind is better than both but we're talking about Space Mountain only. I am very intrigued by the new Space Mtn coming to TDL, especially since it is apparently made by Intamin.

Cmdr_Crimson

I highly prefer DL. I don't have my knees banged around or feel like I need a chiropractor afterward. I love the onboard audio and the coaster is just fun. WDW's was fun back in 1990 but I just don't enjoy it anymore.

I agree that Cosmic Rewind is better than both but we're talking about Space Mountain only. I am very intrigued by the new Space Mtn coming to TDL, especially since it is apparently made by Intamin.
It seems that Mk's Space Mountain and DL's Matterhorn with their toboggan style trains seem to make the ride worse as many complain that it hurts the backs and knees of guests..

SaveDinosaur

It seems that Mk's Space Mountain and DL's Matterhorn with their toboggan style trains seem to make the ride worse as many complain that it hurts the backs and knees of guests..
In my opinion, Matterhorn is 1000 times rougher than MK's Space Mountain. Matterhorn was the second roughest coaster I have been on, only behind the original Gwazi at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay.

SaveDinosaur

Smoother. Quieter. More to see. Onboard audio.

The recession didn’t cancel it though. Case of have money won’t spend.
Is it possible for Disney to give the Matterhorn a full rebuild and the Space Mountain treatment? A smooth Matterhorn would be as great as a new addition to Disneyland. Also, do you know why they never built any clones of that ride? It would be perfect for Tokyo Disneyland (and for a Swiss Pavilion at Epcot).

Vclguy90

Is it possible for Disney to give the Matterhorn a full rebuild and the Space Mountain treatment? A smooth Matterhorn would be as great as a new addition to Disneyland. Also, do you know why they never built any clones of that ride? It would be perfect for Tokyo Disneyland (and for a Swiss Pavilion at Epcot).
Not without completely dismantling the mountain, I don't think. It isn't like Everest where the coaster and mountain are separate structures. It's all one unit.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
One Space Mountain that hasn't been mentioned yet is Tokyo's. Not only does it have key features of pre-2005 Space Mountain, like the Speedramp entrance and the windows looking into the ride, but it overall has a dark, mysterious, unknown feel to it creating a chilling experience that makes it IMO one of the best Space Mountains on earth as of now.

Sadly it's closing in a couple of weeks to make way for an entirely new one

Mr. Sullivan

Finally got to do both. Disneyland’s is vastly, vastly superior and makes MK’s look like a pile of junk. It rides better, the trains are better, the soundtrack is better, and the track is more fun. People mistake MK’s roughness for intensity when it’s in reality just aging poorly. It needs a complete rehab.

Mr. Sullivan

From what I’ve heard, no. One because the coaster and mountain are entwined and two because it’s out of code but grandfathered in and if they touch it they’re required to bring up to modern code. That would dictate clearances and the addition of emergency exists that essentially would double the already large mountain’s footprint and they don’t have that kind of room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom