WDW Souvenir Book

MasterShake

Original Poster
Hi,
Back in the late 80's my father purchased the best souvenir from WDW. It was a green hardcover book with pictures and descriptions of all the major WDW attractions. I loved this book and we looked at this book for years whenever we wanted a little Disney fix.

Last year I was determined to find something similar while shopping in MK. The closest thing I could find was a small/cheap looking soft cover book with a similar format. The book was much smaller and the picture quality was not as good. I was wondering if anybody knows if they still sell the nicer books anywhere on property?

Thanks

Mr_Tom_Morrow

I have a souvenir hard cover book from the Magic Kingdom,it had to of come out in 1991,entitled Walt Disney World:20 Magical Years I love the book so many awesome high quality pictures in it,i still frequently browse through it to reminisce

vonpluto

If you are referring to this book:
WDWGB.jpg

It was the souvenir book issued between the previously mentioned WDW The First Decade(1982) and WDW 20 Magical Years(1991).

Souvenir books I know of released since 1991 include:

Walt Disney World
Disney Kingdom Editions,1993

Walt Disney World, Twenty Five Years

Walt Disney World , A Magical Year-By-Year Journey
Hyperion, 1998

Walt Disney World , A Souvenir for the Millenium
Hyperion, 2000

Walt Disney World Resort 100 Years of Magic
Disney Editions, 2001

I can't recall if a new hardcover book has been released since 2001.
The above books can be found used at sites like Amazon or Abe Books.:)

JWG

Hi,
Back in the late 80's my father purchased the best souvenir from WDW. It was a green hardcover book with pictures and descriptions of all the major WDW attractions. I loved this book and we looked at this book for years whenever we wanted a little Disney fix.

Last year I was determined to find something similar while shopping in MK. The closest thing I could find was a small/cheap looking soft cover book with a similar format. The book was much smaller and the picture quality was not as good. I was wondering if anybody knows if they still sell the nicer books anywhere on property?

Thanks

I wish I'd paid more attention... yes there was a hard cover book when I was there in July. I don't think it was as recent as the blue/purple soft cover books. I've been buying the soft cover versions for years starting in about 1983 - whenever we visit.

Anyway, there was a hardcover book that I looked at throughout Downtown Disney in various stores. Again, it didn't seem quite as new as the soft cover version, but it was nice.

CThaddeus

The two most recent ones I've found are:

A Pictorial Memory of the Walt Disney World Resort: Celebrating 100 Years of Magic (2001)
and
Around the World with Disney (2005)

There should be a new one sometime soon, as the 2005 one focuses on The Happiest Homecoming on Earth and features the Cinderella Castle with the mirror and other decorations on it.

spirit971

I have a collection of these books sarting from 1985. Yes they still put out the hard cover books. I was in WDW in September and they did have one out. It was a little hard to find but I picked one up at the All Star Sports gift shop. You can also find older editions including the green cover book on E-Bay.
Hope this helped.

CThaddeus

I was wrong. There was a book after 2005. It is:

Where Magic Lives. Walt Disney World Resort: A Pictorial Souvenir (2006)

It looks like an update may soon be needed though. Among the drawings on the cover is Spaceship Earth with the ugly old Wand looming overhead.

ed: Oh, and it also doesn't have "Year of a Million Dreams" plastered all over it, so they definitely will need to do a new one soon. You can't escape that ad campaign, after all...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Before 20 magical years, 1990 had a similar, pale yellow hardback souvenir book too; the cover photo was just Cindys Castle at night :wave:

MasterShake

Original Poster
Thanks All,
VonPluto showed a picture of the book I was thinking of....:sohappy:

Anybody seen the more recent hardcover book in the parks? If so, what stores?

Would love to get one from my upcoming December trip. Usually I don't spend that much on Souvenirs, but this will be our last trip to WDW for a while. Next year we want to go to Europe. Anyone have any other suggestions on "must have" souvenirs from WDW?

JWG

Thanks All,
VonPluto showed a picture of the book I was thinking of....:sohappy:

Anybody seen the more recent hardcover book in the parks? If so, what stores?

Would love to get one from my upcoming December trip. Usually I don't spend that much on Souvenirs, but this will be our last trip to WDW for a while. Next year we want to go to Europe. Anyone have any other suggestions on "must have" souvenirs from WDW?

I usually buy the Park Music CD. I only go every 3 or more years, so they typically change.

brkgnews

Good catch, vonPluto. Can you provide an ISBN on that green one? (Then again, it may not have one)

By the way, MasterShake, I think there was a hardcover book within the past year... I'll try to see if I can find it on my bookshelf and describe it for you.

vonpluto

Good catch, vonPluto. Can you provide an ISBN on that green one? (Then again, it may not have one)

No ISBN. Typical of many of the older park books, there is no info in this one, only the date, 1986, and "Walt Disney Productions".:shrug:

Tigggrl

I have that one. Its one of the best!

WDWGB.jpg

It was the souvenir book issued between the previously mentioned WDW The First Decade(1982) and WDW 20 Magical Years(1991).

Souvenir books I know of released since 1991 include:

Walt Disney World
Disney Kingdom Editions,1993

Walt Disney World, Twenty Five Years

Walt Disney World , A Magical Year-By-Year Journey
Hyperion, 1998

Walt Disney World , A Souvenir for the Millenium
Hyperion, 2000

Walt Disney World Resort 100 Years of Magic
Disney Editions, 2001

I can't recall if a new hardcover book has been released since 2001.
The above books can be found used at sites like Amazon or Abe Books.:)

meekoman

A couple of weeks ago I picked up the newest one with a red cover. It was pretty hard to find. I saw it once at the MK, but ended up getting it at POP. I also saw it at the Contemporary.
Usually, the only park that carries it is the MK at the Emporium.

MasterShake

Original Poster
Thanks Again

Sounds like I'll have to check The Emporium and some of the resort gift shops for that book. Either way only 25 days till WDW.... :ROFLOL:

Laura

There is a dark blue book, though (Walt Disney World: The First Decade) -- maybe that's what you're conjuring up?

http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-World-First-Decade/dp/B000AS1HA4

WDWGB.jpg

My dad bought both of the books above in the 80's and I used to gawk at them daily when I was a kid. They were the best books. He still has them of course.

On my recent trip I set out to find something similar and there was nothing. I resorted to buying a cheap little softcover book (blue with Sorcerer Mickey on the front) with some pictures and it's TERRIBLE. The quality of the pictures in it are really bad, as if someone who no photography experience submitted them all. It was all I could find though. :(

Craig & Lisa

I have a soft cover magazine from DL that my mother got back in the 60's. It has a picture of Walt Disney on the cover in DL signing autographs. The book tells you a short history of the creation of DL, and shots of them working on different areas, like one of them with a lion going into the Jungle Cruise. Or some of the famous people who have visited. The best part is that it's still in pretty good shape.

Mr. Tickle

I have the green hardcover book. It was released in 1986. It features the Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, The resorts, Discovery Island, River Country, and even the WDW Village (before Downtown Disney took over)

Tigggrl

I actually found my copy for one dollar at a garage sale. I have also bought several books from used book stores and ebay over the years.Its always fun for me to browse thru those stores! I seem to always find something I am looking for!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom