WDW Security vs. Universal

StarshipDisney

Generally, line-cutting isn't considered a threat to life or property (except on Disney fan sites)...

I agree. My point is that Disney does little...actually very little...to enforce rules once inside the park.

To further my point (and I certainly would hope this never actually happens), I would bet that if a serious fist fight or such ever did break out inside a Disney park, the damage would be long done before Disney security ever showed up.

...and with Disney actively promoting alcohol within the parks now, sooner or later they will experience a problem.

Beacon Joe

There's a fair amount of tradespace between either park's security model and infrastructure. For several reasons, I couldn't wait to clear Universal's central security hub and get as far from it as I could.

Paper straw fan

I agree. My point is that Disney does little...actually very little...to enforce rules once inside the park.

To further my point (and I certainly would hope this never actually happens), I would bet that if a serious fist fight or such ever did break out inside a Disney park, the damage would be long done before Disney security ever showed up.

...and with Disney actively promoting alcohol within the parks now, sooner or later they will experience a problem.

I’m still more concerned with weapons. I think they understand they’re not going to prevent scuffles and whatnot- especially yeah, with their relaxed views on alcohol (however you feel about that)

But they are NOT going to want the next mass shooting to happen on their watch. I don’t think all of the empty ‘thoughts and prayers’ will make people feel any safer once that happens, and they could suffer tremendously short term if that does ever happen.

draybook

It did on March 6th of this year. Some dude made a thread about it...

MickeyLuv'r

Generally, line-cutting isn't considered a threat to life or property (except on Disney fan sites)...

Large crowds can be very dangerous, especially when there's a panic of some kind. Look up something as old as the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire, more recent night club fires, the Who 1979 concert disaster, the many soccer game crushings/tramplings.

There was also the 2014 Shanghai stampede, where folks on a confined platform panicked for some reason. Some 36 people died, another 50 were hospitalized, and many more were psychologically traumatized. In the case of the above fires, it isn't just fire that kills. People who can't escape quickly panic and trample each other. It is horrible.

The MK hub can be a little scary post-fireworks, when folks are cranky and in a rush to leave.

MickeyLuv'r

For my part, I agree Universal has better security, but their fingerprint scanners are inferior to WDW's. At WDW, you can get stuck in the slow bag check line.

At Universal, beware the slow finger scanner. Those things are easily thrown off by ordinary fingerprint grease + sweat. I'm amazed by how unreliable they are.

SirWillow

I love going to Disney, but one of my pet peeves is that Disney has no security beyond the front gate. Just look at how people routinely break in ride lines to see that Disney security in the parks is little more than a joke.

There is a lot more security inside the parks that you are aware of. They do a much better job of blending in, but there is a pretty good presence to prevent theft, protect employees, and watch for inappropriate behavior.

Line cutting tends to fall on attractions employees as security isn't going to waste their time sitting in the middle of queues for the rare time that someone slips a few people ahead of others. There's much more serious things for them to worry about.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Large crowds can be very dangerous, especially when there's a panic of some kind. Look up something as old as the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire, more recent night club fires, the Who 1979 concert disaster, the many soccer game crushings/tramplings.

There was also the 2014 Shanghai stampede, where folks on a confined platform panicked for some reason. Some 36 people died, another 50 were hospitalized, and many more were psychologically traumatized. In the case of the above fires, it isn't just fire that kills. People who can't escape quickly panic and trample each other. It is horrible.

The MK hub can be a little scary post-fireworks, when folks are cranky and in a rush to leave.
OK, but I don't get the connection between line cutting and panicked crowds.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I love going to Disney, but one of my pet peeves is that Disney has no security beyond the front gate. Just look at how people routinely break in ride lines to see that Disney security in the parks is little more than a joke.

Line cutters aren't a threat to security - they're annoying, but there's nothing inherently unsafe about it.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
There is a lot more security inside the parks that you are aware of. They do a much better job of blending in, but there is a pretty good presence to prevent theft, protect employees, and watch for inappropriate behavior.

The cameras, or the ridiculously obvious undercover security officers?

Walt Disney1955

I know people always think when we look at the past we look at it with rose colored glasses but I can assure people that while I am not old (I first went to Disney and Universal in 1991) the days of the 1990s were far much simpler and better when it came to security. Why? Because people didn't overthink things. Hands up if you wish we could go back to the days where you didn't walk through a metal detector to get to a ballpark or a theme park?

Trackmaster

Basically here's the rundown between the two systems:

Universal is pretty much TSA-like. Actually, its pretty much the same level of security as what you would get at the airport with pre-check. Except that they let you set off metal detectors, and at the airport, you generally have to go through a scanner if you set off the metal detector with pre-check.

Disney is actually pretty much the same thing, but the different is that security guards rifle through your bags by hand instead of using the metal detector. The other exception is that if you have no bags you get to cut to a super short, fast line with just the metal detectors.

The way I see it is that Universal's system is inherently faster, but it just looks intimidating and ridiculous for what's supposed to be a fun day at the park. I don't think that either system is any safer -- they're both horribly unsecure and would never stop a real attack. They both exist only to make the guests feel better -- and maybe deter some local crime, guns/knives being brought out in arguments from drunk guests, etc. They wouldn't stop a terrorist attack.

Disney mainly doesn't do it TSA because it would completely destroy the magic instead of slightly destroying it.

My take is that I prefer Universals if I have a bag, but if I don't bring a bag, I prefer Disney's. Disney rewards you for traveling light, but Universal makes you wait in the same line as everyone else even if you travel light (but really, the line is usually pretty short as they can churn you out fast).

I also think that the crowds at Universal are probably higher risk for crime, as they tend to be older, drunker, and more classless than the crowds that you see at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom