WDW RUMORS-a mini blue sky alert

mitchk

first off, if you want to skip my text, here is the link http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2008/04/worlds-fourth-kingdom-at-ten.html

Honor Hunter, the writer/blogger who runs blueskydisney.blogspot.com, has updated us once again (its been around a year actually!). Here is the text that i find interesting...

"Disney's Hollywood Studios will be getting the majority of the TLC over the next few years, but DAK will get some loving. One of the best bits of news for Disney Geeks/Fans in years is that "Beastly Kingdom" is not dead. It's not only dead, but the concept is apparently moving forward although slower than we'd like and is going to be different than what was originally conceived. Put that together with Steven Davison's(Vice President, Disney Creative Entertainment) plans to come up with a nighttime alternative to River of Lights and things could be downright rosy...

Come 2011(there's that year again!) or 2012 if plans shift and construction dates slip, Disney's Animal Kingdom will be the crown jewel of all five parks. Errr... oops, I meant four parks. Didn't I?"

So, it looks like that 5th adult park is pretty true. The Beastly Kingdom will be coming back, but with well known disney characters, instead of just plain old mythical creatures, and Disney's Hollywood Studios will be seeing lots of projects greenlit so it can get back to it's glory days. (PLEASE PLEASE announce Star Tours 2)

That's it! Enjoy!

-WelcomehomeOKW

I had posted yesterday that I met Joe R. at AK's 10th anniversary, and I asked him "would there a BK" His first response was "NO," but then he said "things can change very quick, it's like any other job, you never know what can happen the next day." He went on to say, AK will defiantly be getting a new attraction, leaning toward the BK concept, he also said AK would be getting the most attention ... hopefully.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/mitchk_03/Picture078.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/mitchk_03/Picture079.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/mitchk_03/Picture080.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/mitchk_03/Picture081.jpg

:)

tirian

His first response was "NO," but then he said "things can change very quick, it's like any other job, you never know what can happen the next day."

That's very true in Disney culture, and he's not using it as a cover-up for poor planning. The company often dumps money into research, conceptual art, and models for attractions that will never be constructed.

mickeysaver

I did the Lunch with an Imagineer a few days ago and the CM pretty much confirmed what was just said. The 5th gate is being called "Night Kingdom" for now, but it's final name and entertainment options are still largely up in the air, but being actively worked on. The Beastly Kingdom concept has been moved off the back burner and is being slowly worked on for implementation in the future, but most likely the 5th gate will come first.

mitchk

I did the Lunch with an Imagineer a few days ago and the CM pretty much confirmed what was just said. The 5th gate is being called "Night Kingdom" for now, but it's final name and entertainment options are still largely up in the air, but being actively worked on. The Beastly Kingdom concept has been moved off the back burner and is being slowly worked on for implementation in the future, but most likely the 5th gate will come first.

Yup, that's the same thing I heard :wave:

RandySavage

^ Thanks for getting the information the straight from the horse's mouth.

I'm disappointed about no BK. I have to come to grips with the fact that no current suit is going to greenlight a project that would require shutting down the Festival of the Lion King as long as it is still very popular. Maybe a boycott of the show is in order.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Repeat after me doubters:

Star Tours 2 is happening

This is finally something I can personally vouch for.
Yes, and one random person is so important, the fact that George Lucas said it is all that matters.
Wow...Just joined (what yesterday?) and already you've read the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People". :rolleyes:
I had posted yesterday that I met Joe R. at AK's 10th anniversary, and I asked him "would there a BK" His first response was "NO," but then he said "things can change very quick, it's like any other job, you never know what can happen the next day." He went on to say, AK will defiantly be getting a new attraction, leaning toward the BK concept, he also said AK would be getting the most attention ... hopefully.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/mitchk_03/Picture078.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/mitchk_03/Picture079.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/mitchk_03/Picture080.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/mitchk_03/Picture081.jpg

:)
Cool, Mitch met Joe! :wave:

RandySavage

I had been assuming that Star Tours 2 would be set in the Original Trilogy Universe (with X-wings, Tie-Fighters, Star Destroyers, etc.) like the original ride.

The awful realization just dawned on me that a new Star Tours will most likely be set in the Prequel Universe, with the possibility of Jar Jar Binks, Watto or any number of awful characters making an appearance (as the pilot, perhaps). I would MUCH rather see Star Tours kept as is, even with it's worn out film, than have Lucas strip it of everything that made it great and put in some awful, vacuous plot, plastic-looking CGI, pod-racing Jake Lloyd, Jar Jar meesa-meesa talk, and whatever other utter garbage he can conjure up (as he did with the prequels).

Star Tours has basically reached classic status as an attraction. Maybe, its revamping is something to be dreaded, not anticipated.

CaptainMichael

I had been assuming that Star Tours 2 would be set in the Original Trilogy Universe (with X-wings, Tie-Fighters, Star Destroyers, etc.) like the original ride.

The awful realization just dawned on me that a new Star Tours will most likely be set in the Prequel Universe, with the possibility of Jar Jar Binks, Watto or any number of awful characters making an appearance (as the pilot, perhaps). I would MUCH rather see Star Tours kept as is, even with it's worn out film, than have Lucas strip it of everything that made it great and put in some awful, vacuous plot, plastic-looking CGI, pod-racing Jake Lloyd, Jar Jar meesa-meesa talk, and whatever other utter garbage he can conjure up (as he did with the prequels).

Star Tours has basically reached classic status as an attraction. Maybe, its revamping is something to be dreaded, not anticipated.

The new trilogy has good stuff to add to Star Tours IMO...

tirian

Yes, since they look like video games, anyway. ;)

The really sad part is that the preshow safety spiel will probably feature better dialog than the prequels.

CaptainMichael

Like Episode III's battle over Coruscant? :D

Or perhaps do a flyby in the first battle of the Clone Wars? :D

Nah:ROFLOL:

I was thinking more like the podracing track on Tatooine, perhaps a trip through the skies of Coruscant, maybe Kashyyk with the trees...heck maybe even Mustafar.

The prequels aren't all that bad, although some of it is. I just rewatched The Phantom Menace and lightsaber duel with Darth Maul, Qui Gon, and Obi-Wan is awesome.

darthjohnny

Screamscape posted some updates on some of the rumored projects:

2012 - Disney’s Night Kingdom - In Development - (4/25/08) Today I have to officially change my stance on the whole Disney’s Night Kingdom park concept. New information has come to my attention proving that the concept is indeed in the works for Walt Disney World and shooting to open possibly in 2012. From what I’ve been told the history of the project comes from a desire by Disney to create their own version of a high-end Discovery Cove style mini-park experience mixed with an original proposal for a major overhaul and expansion to the existing Adventure’s Club at Pleasure Island.
From the sound of things basic funding has been approved to proceed on with the design of this small but expensive project, but it’s not without some serious design challenges and still isn’t exactly the experience that Jim Hill had previously described. The big attraction and icon of the park, right now, appears to be a large central Disney-made mountain structure where guests will be forced to ‘rock climb’ to the top, take zip lines down again and explore a serious network of caves. The goal is for this to be a very interactive game based adventure experience, with both mental and physical challenges. The tricky part of the design process they’re said to be in now involves balancing it all out so that it doesn’t become so physically difficult that guests will become too pooped or intimidated to play while at the same time, they have to be sure they aren’t catering to the bottom end and make it all far too easy and boring for everyone else.
As for the game aspect, it seems that the test run of that Kim Possible Communicator game at Epcot a year or so ago was just a large scale concept test for the Night Kingdom game concept. The idea is to equip every guest with their own communicator unit that will guide them from place to place, push them in the right direction when they get stuck, and be used to help solve the various games, puzzles and adventure challenges. Your communicator will also serve as a way for the park to identify you individually as a player and customize your interactions with the various game stations and animatronics. Fuzzy robots wont be the only things you interact with however, as there seems to be a plan in place to develop a number of encounters with live animals as well.

Beastly Kingdom - In Redesign - (4/25/08) Screamscape sources tell us Beastly Kingdom may very well be back on the five-year planning track and if all goes as planned, we could see it open by either 2011 or 2013, depending on just how quickly they want it. Unfortunately it seems Disney has move away from any plans involving the Dragon’s Tower roller coaster concepts. In fact, they’re said to be shying away from Dragons entirely since Universal already took the basic idea for Dueling Dragons, which will get refreshed with an all-new story when it becomes part of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter late next year. Instead Disney will focus the land on “other” imaginary creatures.
There is some good news however as the long rumored next generation water ride concept Disney has been working on does look to be the front-runner for the land’s big Super E-Ticket concept. I don’t know much about it except that the basic idea is to take the EMV style motion-based action you get from the Indiana Jones Adventure (DL) and Dinosaur (AK) rides and then apply it to a boat ride. I’ve got two ideas in my head… one invoving large Jungle Cruise sized boats with a huge motion base (sinking ship action?) or on the smaller scale of things… something more Splash Mountain log sized but with bouncy seating to create a real-world version of the Virtual Jungle Cruise attraction at DisneyQuest.

2009 - Star Tours 2 - Rumor - (4/25/08) Screamscape sources tell us that we should finally expect to see Star Tours shut down by the end of this year or in early 2009 in order to begin work on the massive overhaul it will receive for the Star Tours 2 concept rebirth. While this is said to be a complete overhaul that will keep the ride closed for months, the WDW version may actually reopen before the Disneyland version. Expectations are high right now as they are simply not just dropping in a new movie to the old ride, but this makeover is said to change everything.

Sounds cool. I never heard of the "next generation water ride" before. It'll be interesting to see what exactly will happen with these things in the coming years.

DisneyNeighbor

Don't they have 6 pods at the Studios. Why not have a pod for each of the Star Wars episodes. You can ride the one you want and avoid the ones you don't.

EpcotServo

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom