WDW Ride Build Rate

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am defining a ride as a movie vehicle of some sort. It is the only category of attraction that I have complied all the data on. Non-ride attraction get a little trickier to define. For example how to you count things like Communicore and Innoventions, are they a single attraction, or multiple attractions?
You absolutely have to include the likes of Circlevision and theatre (live or film) shows.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
You absolutely have to include the likes of Circlevision and theatre (live or film) shows.

Why would I included those, they are clearly not rides. I am not trying to do anything with these numbers but show a count of how many rides opened each year. If I did a report of when new parades started, I wouldn't include Pirates of the Caribbean.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Why would I included those, they are clearly not rides. I am not trying to do anything with these numbers but show a count of how many rides opened each year. If I did a report of when new parades started, I wouldn't include Pirates of the Caribbean.
But you can go years without a "moving" ride yet still have a major attraction open.

Technically Soarin' is not a ride. For example.

Conversely 1991s Muppet*Vision 3D should absolutely count. But its a theatre show.

Not arguing, just trying to produce a fuller picture of park attractions opening.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
But you can go years without a "moving" ride yet still have a major attraction open.

Technically Soarin' is not a ride. For example.

Conversely 1991s Muppet*Vision 3D should absolutely count. But its a theatre show.

Not arguing, just trying to produce a fuller picture of park attractions opening.

To produce a fuller picture we would need opening and closing dates for all the attractions which is a harder think to put together then doing it for just rides.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
To produce a fuller picture we would need opening and closing dates for all the attractions which is a harder think to put together then doing it for just rides.
But it would be more accurate. Otherwise you'd be excluding The American Adventure and the like.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
But it would be more accurate. Otherwise you'd be excluding The American Adventure and the like.

It would be more accurate for your purposes, but not for mine. My original goal for this post was only to count the build rate of what I consider rides.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It would be more accurate for your purposes, but not for mine. My original goal for this post was only to count the build rate of what I consider rides.

That's fine though for a 'ride' park like Six Flags.

Otherwise you'd have to say DHS had no additions from opening until 1994. Nor Epcot from 1988 until 2003. Or ever since if M:S isn't classed as a ride.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
That's fine though for a 'ride' park like Six Flags.

Otherwise you'd have to say DHS had no additions from opening until 1994. Nor Epcot from 1988 until 2003. Or ever since if M:S isn't classed as a ride.

Feel free to start your own thread with the opening and closing dates of the all that attractions.

The Empress Lilly

I am defining a ride as a movie vehicle of some sort. It is the only category of attraction that I have complied all the data on. Non-ride attraction get a little trickier to define. For example how to you count things like Communicore and Innoventions, are they a single attraction, or multiple attractions?
Thank you for your excellent efforts!

For further consideration: can and should one distinguish on quality? The 'splash and pee' toddler water play area can hardly be compared to Kilimanjaro, alone larger than many other theme parks.

And likewise, can one distinguish on quantity, or compounded experiences? The Studios backbone was the two hour Backlot Tour. Should it count the same as the 1:15 spinner?

~~<~~~<<oOo>>~~>~~​

Also, there is a certain progression in WDW's parks, that can be ascribed to willful differentiation:

MK: many short rides.
EPCOT: fewer rides, but all large, long, immersive E-tickets. Plus 'non-ride' attractions.
Studios: a few enormously long experiences. Plus otherwise shows.
DAK: less actual rides still. Plus exhibits and experiences which are the attractions.

So ever fewer rides, even though this can (at least partly) be explained by the wish to avoid identical park experiences.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

I think that you and @marni1971 post very interesting information. You may both approach a particular subject from different angles, but I think that you complement one another's research.

The forums are enriched by the quality of facts and conversation that you two share with one another, and with the WDW Magic community. I'm sure that many others here appreciate your contributions as much as I do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom