WDW Ride Build Rate

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
How does the WDW build rate compare to Universal? There are a LOT of posts on this board (and others) about how Universal is getting ahead of Disney and I'm curious to know if that's real or perceived.

Don't know about past decades but so far this decade that have opened four new rides and will have two more with the opening of HP Phase 2. SO that is six with more likely to come.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Where would one find the dates attractions closed? It would be very interesting to me to combine the lists and get a good look at actual attraction counts as old rides closed and new rides opened.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Where would one find the dates attractions closed? It would be very interesting to me to combine the lists and get a good look at actual attraction counts as old rides closed and new rides opened.

I have those dates, I will post them later.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I have those dates, I will post them later.

While waiting I looked up most of them on Wikipedia... if the dates are correct things look very bad since 2001.

Example (net ride adds):

2000: 3
2001: 0
2002: -1
2003: 2
2004: 1
2005: 0
2006: 0
2007: 1
2008: -1
2009: 1
2010: 0
2011: 0
2012: -2
2013: 1

Since 2000 the net attraction adds is 5 which is less than 1 every two years. If we take out 2000, the net is 2 new attractions which is absolutely unbelievable.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Very interesting -- thanks for doing all that work. I don't suppose you have stats on how many attractions ("rides") were removed during those periods as well?
Rough guide for removed and not replaced?

Swan Boats 1980
Explorer Canoes 1994
Keelboats 2001
20k 1994
Body Wars 2007
Cranium Command 2007
Making of Me 2007
Fitness Fairground 2007
Sounds Dangerous 2012
Discovery River Cruise 1999
Pochohontas and her forest friends 2008

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here is a graph of the total number of rides in WDW and each park by year.

RideGraph.jpg

morningstar

Could this have some relation to the number of Disney parks in the world. It seems that the more Disney Parks being build the less new rides coming to the WDW.

More like, in each of the first three decades, at least one new park opened. Each park had to open with a bunch of new rides. It's hard to imagine opening a fifth major theme park. They have enough parks and rides to fill up people's vacation time. Adding new rides just keeps it fresh and stimulates excitement, with old rides sometimes closing to make space.

mergatroid

Don't want to seem to criticise the op for their hard work (it is very interesting and appreciated), but I think that personally Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach and the Downtown Disney original build and possibly the expansion should have been considered? Certainly the water parks have added a great deal of extra enjoyment to my trips along with many hours spent at Downtown Disney. Whilst not rides as such, they're certainly part of building an entertainment complex. I know it could get even more complex by people saying "What about hotels etc", but I feel the water parks and DD are at least a version of a 'park' rather than merely accommodation?

And once again, this isn't trying to put down the op's fine thread and hard work.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Don't want to seem to criticise the op for their hard work (it is very interesting and appreciated), but I think that personally Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach and the Downtown Disney original build and possibly the expansion should have been considered? Certainly the water parks have added a great deal of extra enjoyment to my trips along with many hours spent at Downtown Disney. Whilst not rides as such, they're certainly part of building an entertainment complex. I know it could get even more complex by people saying "What about hotels etc", but I feel the water parks and DD are at least a version of a 'park' rather than merely accommodation?

And once again, this isn't trying to put down the op's fine thread and hard work.

I wasn't trying to measure to overall quality or number of things to do at the resort, just one small part of it. The data gathering for this is a little tricky. Rides were the easiest thing to gather the data on that's why I limited my analysis to just rides. I am also not trying to draw a conclusion from the numbers, I am leaving that to everyone else.

Pocahontas

Thank you for compiling this data, it's very interesting. But, I think that the ride rate has slowed down because there were so many new rides the first two decades - they really wanted to build and develop Disney quickly, from the start. It started to slow down because they had all these rides and new ones weren't really needed. Now I understand Disney has grown a lot and they need to keep up with demand, but there shouldn't be as many new rides as there were the first two decades or so.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
But how do you define "ride"? Purely moving vehicle?

Example, EPCOT Center 1982 at opening had 5 rides but 14 major attractions plus the Communicore subdivisions, with at least two further gated attractions within. So the chart should surely start Epcot at 16.

In a Disney park its wrong to define an attraction purely if it has a moving vehicle since so many large scale and large budget attractions are static (or almost).

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
But how do you define "ride"? Purely moving vehicle?

Example, EPCOT Center 1982 at opening had 5 rides but 14 major attractions plus the Communicore subdivisions, with at least two further gated attractions within. So the chart should surely start Epcot at 16.

In a Disney park its wrong to define an attraction purely if it has a moving vehicle since so many large scale and large budget attractions are static (or almost).

I am defining a ride as a movie vehicle of some sort. It is the only category of attraction that I have complied all the data on. Non-ride attraction get a little trickier to define. For example how to you count things like Communicore and Innoventions, are they a single attraction, or multiple attractions?

Pocahontas

Thank you for compiling this data, it's very interesting. But, I think that the ride rate has slowed down because there were so many new rides the first two decades - they really wanted to build and develop Disney quickly, from the start. It started to slow down because they had all these rides and new ones weren't really needed. Now I understand Disney has grown a lot and they need to keep up with demand, but there shouldn't be as many new rides as there were the first two decades or so.
In other words, if the need for rides slows down, so will the ride build rate. If you have 20 rides, you're going to build more than if you had 35.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom