News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

HauntedMansionFLA

I completely agree.

Being mature would be purchasing something if you see value at it’s current price, or choosing not to purchase if you don’t see the value.

Demanding financials, or continually ranting and raving about current prices is Not mature. The former is false entitlement and ludicrous behavior, and the latter is crying over something that -
A. You can’t change.
B. Is ridiculous to be fiercely angry about when you are making the choice to purchase it in the first place.
C. Isn’t owed to you.

**The “you” in this post is a “general you”**
Wait till the rates go up on the resorts on the gondola line.

matt9112

This is correct no charge for UK package visitors until 2020. And we get special 14 days tickets with park hopping, water parks, golf, memory maker for $484 (when slightly discounted via UK ticket retailers). Disney UK have also been giving hefty discounts at Old Key West and Saratoga (sometimes at least 25% off rack) in addition to free dining nearly all year. Unfortunately they over estimated Saratoga inventory this year, so have upgraded quite a lot of people for free to Beach Club and Wilderness lodge.
One downside, in school vacations it costs us $4500 just to fly to Orlando for family of 4. So when you see a Brit feel sorry for us and offer to buy us a drink please.

I still dont feel sorry. ;)

matt9112

Just as an aside, I paid for "preferred parking" to several of the resorts last week, and for $45, there is little value. For example, when parking at the Magic Kingdom, we saw the regular parking groups streaming in only a very short distance from where we were parking, walking just a slightly longer distance than we were, and there was almost no value added to the experience. Water bottles? No thanks, I carry my own.

Disney, MUST, be able to demonstrate what the added value is to upcharging for services, or for adding things like overnight resort parking, or people will resist those changes. If you add overnight parking charges, which also do not allow freeloaders to park in my deluxe or moderate resort and take my buses to the parks, ok there's value in that. As it stands, this is just an added cost with no benefit at all.

yeah i could have told you not to light your money on fire. it makes sense if you come late in the day MAYBE.

Andy_0410

This is correct no charge for UK package visitors until 2020. And we get special 14 days tickets with park hopping, water parks, golf, memory maker for $484 (when slightly discounted via UK ticket retailers). Disney UK have also been giving hefty discounts at Old Key West and Saratoga (sometimes at least 25% off rack) in addition to free dining nearly all year. Unfortunately they over estimated Saratoga inventory this year, so have upgraded quite a lot of people for free to Beach Club and Wilderness lodge.
One downside, in school vacations it costs us $4500 just to fly to Orlando for family of 4. So when you see a Brit feel sorry for us and offer to buy us a drink please.

This happened to me
But got ‘upgraded’ to yacht club
Would of loved if got wilderness lodge 😀

larandtra

Last stay they asked if I wanted daily mousekeeping or if I was ok with just having them refresh towels and such each day and they would give me a 30$ Disney Gift Card. So they dont make the bed or vacuum, but, they do refresh towels and toiletries if necessary. The cost of mousekeeping, grounds upkeep, pools, and parking are built into the cost of the rate you pay. To add something extra when your prices are already outrageous and you get nothing of value that you arent already paying for is ridiculous.

esskay

They (Disney UK) also overbooked OKW, and have been offering people anything from Caribbean Beach to Grand Floridian as an alternative, seen a number of reports of people having calls asking if they'd like to move to another resort over on thedibb. Some people were understandably miffed that they were only offered Caribbean Beach which is obviously cheaper than OKW (not to mention the construction work).

Last edited:

kong1802

What I find ironic is that....Disney is so cunning that you don't even notice.

Last year I got the POR for about $180 a night. This year (for my May trip) I wasn't able to break $230. I'm pretty good at keeping up with the discounted rates, know more or less when they are coming out, don't go during what would be considered "peak" times.......Generally, I do my homework.

This will be the third trip this year and it's been a good 18-20% increase each time compared to last year.

Look over here (parking fees).....................then they start bumping the room rates. Plus -- now the parking.

The mods are out of control.

4 years ago we got a preconstruction CBR rate in June at $140/night. FL Resident rate

Today that rate, with half the resort under construction, is around $200/night. Almost a 50% increase in 4 years.

Biff215

The mods are out of control.

4 years ago we got a preconstruction CBR rate in June at $140/night. FL Resident rate

Today that rate, with half the resort under construction, is around $200/night. Almost a 50% increase in 4 years.
At first I thought you were complaining about @wdwmagic and @The Mom. :)

I agree, the mods do seem overpriced lately, yet I guess Disney is getting it. Even the values are tough to find a reasonably priced room. Of course the deluxe resorts are no better, so clearly they're pushing the market as far as they can. That's their right and good business I guess, it's just frustrating when your vacation dollars don't go nearly as far as they used to.

kong1802

At first I thought you were complaining about @wdwmagic and @The Mom. :)

I agree, the mods do seem overpriced lately, yet I guess Disney is getting it. Even the values are tough to find a reasonably priced room. Of course the deluxe resorts are no better, so clearly they're pushing the market as far as they can. That's their right and good business I guess, it's just frustrating when your vacation dollars don't go nearly as far as they used to.

Without doing a deep dive into analytics, it appears that the mods are increasing at an insane rate, comparatively.

4 years ago we stayed at YC for I believe right around $300/night over the summer. Right now, that rate is about $350. A modest 17% increase.

I realize that isolating two resorts in one time frame isn't material enough to write a thesis on, but in my observation, the moderates are being elevated to an insane level.

The Gondolas are going to push them into what used to be deluxe pricing. Imagine paying $300 for CBR.

LSLS

Without doing a deep dive into analytics, it appears that the mods are increasing at an insane rate, comparatively.

4 years ago we stayed at YC for I believe right around $300/night over the summer. Right now, that rate is about $350. A modest 17% increase.

I realize that isolating two resorts in one time frame isn't material enough to write a thesis on, but in my observation, the moderates are being elevated to an insane level.

The Gondolas are going to push them into what used to be deluxe pricing. Imagine paying $300 for CBR.

No, but it doesn't take much to analyze. Just quick looking at rack rates only, POR is an increase of 34% from 2014 to 2018 (looking at the max rack rate for value time frames). Now, you want to get real mad, a year before (2013), the rate is an increase of 50%. Of course, that is without the parking fee as well. Add that in, you now get a 44% increase and 62% increase. I loved the moderates, but I certainly can't justify them anymore.

erasure fan1

so clearly they're pushing the market as far as they can. That's their right and good business I guess,
Of course they are, its what they've been doing for every area of the parks. I am resigned to the fact that I've been priced out. Disney sees the opportunity that people are willing to pay ridiculous amounts just for the sake of it. I see prices across the board increasing another 50/60% in the next few years. I can see resort fees, hard ticket for star wars GE... why stop when people pay it no questions asked.

21stamps

Of course they are, its what they've been doing for every area of the parks. I am resigned to the fact that I've been priced out. Disney sees the opportunity that people are willing to pay ridiculous amounts just for the sake of it. I see prices across the board increasing another 50/60% in the next few years. I can see resort fees, hard ticket for star wars GE... why stop when people pay it no questions asked.

People ask a simple question of themselves “Is the value there?”

That’s the only question and answer that matters. Apparently, it’s still being answered with a “Yes” by millions of people. Resorts are selling out.

Why would any business keep prices the same when experiencing that kind of demand?

erasure fan1

That’s the only question and answer that matters. Apparently, it’s still being answered with a “Yes” by millions of people. Resorts are selling out.

Why would any business keep prices the same when experiencing that kind of demand?
Thats my point. Thats why I see prices spiking dramatically over the next few years with star wars opening. Do I like it? No. At first I was mad at them, now, like I said earlier, I've accepted that I can no longer afford to go. Its a bit painful seeing I've been visiting for nearly 40yrs.

LSLS

With how corporations act in today's atmosphere, they wouldn't (all you need to do is look at corporate profits from the 1950s to confirm). BUT, going back to the original ideas behind all of this, Disney was not supposed to be like other businesses. Paying more and getting less is making people angry, but I think that feeling that Disney is now simply stepping in line with every other corporation in putting insane profits over people is what is upsetting people the most.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
With how corporations act in today's atmosphere, they wouldn't (all you need to do is look at corporate profits from the 1950s to confirm). BUT, going back to the original ideas behind all of this, Disney was not supposed to be like other businesses. Paying more and getting less is making people angry, but I think that feeling that Disney is now simply stepping in line with every other corporation in putting insane profits over people is what is upsetting people the most.

Capitalism is a good system. It is the best system. But, it is not a perfect system. Some of the best things in society have come when someone running a large company was interested in more than money. I'm a research scientist. Back in the day, many big companies employed physicists, chemists, etc. and in many cases funded research projects that were in no obvious way related to what the company was doing. Sometimes this paid off in long-term, sometimes it didn't. Or it least it may not be apparent for a while. Bell Labs is the most famous example of this. Good luck telling a giant company today that paying some smart weirdo to do his own thing might pay off now, at some point in the future, or never. So, long term research is now mostly in the hands of the universities. We do get money from industry, but it is for very targeted things.

Disney used to be interested in far more than just the bottom line. I'm not saying they weren't interested in the bottom line, but putting speakers in theaters just so folks could get the whole Fantasia experience or keeping a park open until midnight during slow season even though only a few die hards are still running around would apparently be unheard of today. What you got for this behavior was an enhanced reputation with the general public. You also got employees who took great pride in working for an entity that was actively trying to be the best. I do worry that with our current system, as soon as something is worthwhile, it is publicly owned and then money supersedes all other factors.

I don't know if anyone else has read Freakonomics, the various Malcolm Gladwell books, or any other social economics books, but this is oftentimes the point. Other factors are more important than money in practice. Overtime sucks because as we get older, time is usually valued more than money. Once a daycare puts a monetary value on minutes late, more parents are late to pick up their kids. Guilt was waaay more of a motivating factor than money. I work with a guy who puts in 60-70 hours a week of hard work. He doesn't get overtime. Before we had to have direct deposit, he could go months without picking up a paycheck (low cost of living, single guy). He loves his job (accelerator engineer) and that's that. The other day I asked him about a new shirt (he has two shirts that he alternates between and they're both holey....). He didn't want to take time to shop for them. I would guess he has a couple of million he could spend on them if he ever decides to purchase a shirt. We did buy him a sweatshirt one winter, but I digress.

Disney is currently banking on the loyalty built up by years of being the best. They also provide a product that provides such a powerful break from reality that it seems to lead to a child like thought process wherein any price point for any experience is fine. They're finding that the line can really be pushed.

21stamps

Capitalism is a good system. It is the best system. But, it is not a perfect system. Some of the best things in society have come when someone running a large company was interested in more than money. I'm a research scientist. Back in the day, many big companies employed physicists, chemists, etc. and in many cases funded research projects that were in no obvious way related to what the company was doing. Sometimes this paid off in long-term, sometimes it didn't. Or it least it may not be apparent for a while. Bell Labs is the most famous example of this. Good luck telling a giant company today that paying some smart weirdo to do his own thing might pay off now, at some point in the future, or never. So, long term research is now mostly in the hands of the universities. We do get money from industry, but it is for very targeted things.

Disney used to be interested in far more than just the bottom line. I'm not saying they weren't interested in the bottom line, but putting speakers in theaters just so folks could get the whole Fantasia experience or keeping a park open until midnight during slow season even though only a few die hards are still running around would apparently be unheard of today. What you got for this behavior was an enhanced reputation with the general public. You also got employees who took great pride in working for an entity that was actively trying to be the best. I do worry that with our current system, as soon as something is worthwhile, it is publicly owned and then money supersedes all other factors.

I don't know if anyone else has read Freakonomics, the various Malcolm Gladwell books, or any other social economics books, but this is oftentimes the point. Other factors are more important than money in practice. Overtime sucks because as we get older, time is usually valued more than money. Once a daycare puts a monetary value on minutes late, more parents are late to pick up their kids. Guilt was waaay more of a motivating factor than money. I work with a guy who puts in 60-70 hours a week of hard work. He doesn't get overtime. Before we had to have direct deposit, he could go months without picking up a paycheck (low cost of living, single guy). He loves his job (accelerator engineer) and that's that. The other day I asked him about a new shirt (he has two shirts that he alternates between and they're both holey....). He didn't want to take time to shop for them. I would guess he has a couple of million he could spend on them if he ever decides to purchase a shirt. We did buy him a sweatshirt one winter, but I digress.

Disney is currently banking on the loyalty built up by years of being the best. They also provide a product that provides such a powerful break from reality that it seems to lead to a child like thought process wherein any price point for any experience is fine. They're finding that the line can really be pushed.

I think it’s what you believe. I still think they do more, I still think they provide my family with more wonderment and awe than a lot of other destinations.

My child is not easily impressed nor easily excited at something.. his jaw dropping and the look of absolute amazement on his face the first time that he saw a Storm Trooper, and then again after he interacted with one.. those are moments that are priceless to me.

And as far as nostalgia, I do think it’s that way for some, but my sister’s family just went for the first time as a family.. Husband wasn’t excited, Sister wasn’t really excited.. she’s never been a huge Disney fan as an adult. She thought I was weird for going to F&W with adults only year after year.
They were going because they look at it as a “one time must do for the kids”.

Guess what happened? They both said “I get it now.” Why? Because their kids’ excitement brought the parents joy.. and now they’ll go back when Galaxy’s Edge opens. So much for one and done.
They also stayed at AKL because they didn’t want to spend the money on Poly. Next time they will stay at Poly, my sister said their only regret was not staying at an MK resort, and she sees why people value it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Disney prices evolved/progressed under the management under a different model from 1971-2005. Some things were loss leaders and others where more profitable...but the balance was struck to insulate against downswings and for product/advertising exposure.

Many things have changed...both in society and most especially tech. That model obviously is outdated in some if not many ways.

Costs are basically the same...BS aside.

The current strategy is 99% assuredly blue ocean theory. I’m pretty convinced after recent research.

Now...that’s just the reality...I’m not disagreeing with your assessment of business practices.

But it is not “personal valuation” and it’s not Frosh Econ S&D. It’s way more complex...so much so we can never properly explore it. But it isn’t neat and tidy and that “one thing”...or two things.

As many times as you type “it’s a business”, is how many times that doesn’t address the realities.

Nobody is unclear about its status as a “business”...that’s not the debate.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Thank you, Jorge...

And yes, I’ve read freakonomics and Gladwell...so it’s refreshing to have a more academic take on these things. Often these things are engineered to sound “thought out”...when it’s just a pro-disney shield with some vocab words mixed in.

That’s just people self justifying what they have paid and what they will pay at their happy place. An old pair of shoes and you don’t want anyone telling you it’s time to get some new kicks...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom