News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

SoupBone

Funny, when we did the preferred parking I saw the benefit of how much closer we were. At MK the preferred was right where the AAA Diamond parking used to be and was so close that it would have been a longer walk to go walk to a shuttle than to just walk to the front gate. Did you arrive late in the day? I only ask because it seemed few people were even using the preferred parking when we were there last fall which might explain why those spaces were so much closer to the entrance than regular parking.

This was at the Magic Kingdom, and the regular spots were around 10 rows from us. I admit I have no idea why they were being parked so close to us. Maybe there's a legitimate reason why they were being routed that way. This was around 9am so maybe it was slightly late, but the crowds were huge because it was Easter Week. And you're right, there were only a few rows even filled with preferred parking vehicles, which I also found strange.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
(1) They don't. And (2) That's not how DVC works.

It's all fabrication on his part to support his bias against all things Disney. As I've posted before, if DVC was doing what he alleges, we owners would have grounds for litigation.

(1) They don't. And (2) That's not how DVC works.

It's all fabrication on his part to support his bias against all things Disney. As I've posted before, if DVC was doing what he alleges, we owners would have grounds for litigation.

When was the LAST annual meeting where DVC members were allowed to pose questions to the DVC executives as I recall 2010 or so.

So without a whistleblower how is the DVC membership supposed to collect evidence that something like this is happening on a routine basis.

At one time mere members could actually talk to DVC senior leadership, and carp like what happened to us did NOT happen. And then suddenly DVC leadership stopped taking questions from the DVC membership and just recited from powerpoint slides - retreated under security's watchful eye and sawdust cookies are served.

We had 800 points - I hated disney so much I bought 7 DVC contracts over the years, My dislike of Disney is driven entirely by recent bad experiences at WDW.

When a company gives you bad service you walk away, And let others know about it.

jakeman

When was the LAST annual meeting where DVC members were allowed to pose questions to the DVC executives as I recall 2010 or so.

So without a whistleblower how is the DVC membership supposed to collect evidence that something like this is happening on a routine basis.

At one time mere members could actually talk to DVC senior leadership, and carp like what happened to us did NOT happen. And then suddenly DVC leadership stopped taking questions from the DVC membership and just recited from powerpoint slides - retreated under security's watchful eye and sawdust cookies are served.

We had 800 points - I hated disney so much I bought 7 DVC contracts over the years, My dislike of Disney is driven entirely by recent bad experiences at WDW.

When a company gives you bad service you walk away, And let others know about it.
Except...it didn’t happen.

You even posted, during your stay, that you were at the villas.

Lensman

So did we ever come to a consensus on why they added parking fees? What exactly was the point?
There have been several interesting theories upthread that you can search for. There are three that I remember:
1. Create added disincentive to rent a car. This will keep more guests 100% captive to all ancillary revenue like dining and shopping.
2. This is just step 1. The next step will be charging day guests by the hour.
3. Both of these are needed to drive more business to valet parking, which has apparently been having a hard time of it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There have been several interesting theories upthread that you can search for. There are three that I remember:
1. Create added disincentive to rent a car. This will keep more guests 100% captive to all ancillary revenue like dining and shopping.
2. This is just step 1. The next step will be charging day guests by the hour.
3. Both of these are needed to drive more business to valet parking, which has apparently been having a hard time of it.
Why would Disney care about valet parking? It is outsourced to a third party company.

jakeman

We're here now and I'm looking at the dvc. Can't really afford it but seeing it pushed at all the parks gets to you. This is what I needed to read. Thanks.
DVC is an extremely expensive proposition and a long term commitment.

You should assess if the program is right for your family and your vacation style.

If you can't afford it, then you shouldn't do it. It's not an investment. At best it's locking in accommodation rates to a certain extend for a period of time.

Lensman

We're here now and I'm looking at the dvc. Can't really afford it but seeing it pushed at all the parks gets to you. This is what I needed to read. Thanks.
OT but I recommend renting points from current owners for your next stay before jumping in and buying.

And as @jakeman says, if you think you can't afford it, don't do it. My rule of thumb is that if you can't pay cash, you can't afford it. DVC is not a necessity, it is a luxury.

If you still think you want to buy, look at resales before buying direct. It's much cheaper and many people don't value the extra perks you get by buying direct.

disclosure: I have been a DVC owner since 1995. The value proposition was different back then. (but it was still a luxury)

Back to parking: I get that paying for parking makes the resorts seem less all-inclusive, but is it possible that unbundling parking will, in the future, hold down prices a little for peeps using DME? And doesn't economic theory say that overall, pricing will adjust and base prices will be held down a little as more comparison shoppers are encouraged to stay offsite? Of course, this is given "all other factors being equal". For a variety of reasons, Disney seems to have had a lot of pricing power over the past few years and there's no end in sight.

I do feel bad for the people who drive from home to Disney and then have to pay for parking even though they may not ever move their car.

Last tidbit: I found out today that there are two luxury condos in Manhattan that sell a single parking space to residents for $1 million. Whoa!

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

Why would Disney care about valet parking? It is outsourced to a third party company.

Disney did this to themselves. Until 2002 valet was completely free and there was always a host of valet parking attendants. It was one of the best perks of staying at a deluxe hotel. There was also something really welcoming about having a valet open your car door, officially welcome you to the resort and make you feel special. Then they started charging $10/day. With the steep drop in valet usage from this fee, Disney outsourced the valet. That price has now gone up to $25 and you're lucky to see one or two valets standing out front. Every time I'm there you have to basically flag someone down and their reaction isn't a welcoming one, it's more in the vain of "Are you sure you want to valet? You know it's a ripoff right?"

CAV

OT but I recommend renting points from current owners for your next stay before jumping in and buying.

And as @jakeman

Back to parking: I get that paying for parking makes the resorts seem less all-inclusive, but is it possible that unbundling parking will, in the future, hold down prices a little for peeps using DME? And doesn't economic theory say that overall, pricing will adjust and base prices will be held down a little as more comparison shoppers are encouraged to stay offsite? Of course, this is given "all other factors being equal". For a variety of reasons, Disney seems to have had a lot of pricing power over the past few years and there's no end in sight.

e
Not even remotely possible. It's more likely that resort prices will continue it's current upward trajectory in pricing and parking prices will go up as well. Double price hikes in the same year. Year after year.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
DVC is an extremely expensive proposition and a long term commitment.

You should assess if the program is right for your family and your vacation style.

If you can't afford it, then you shouldn't do it. It's not an investment. At best it's locking in accommodation rates to a certain extend for a period of time.

A word of advice, @ford91exploder is a well documented liar and should not be trusted for any information pertaining to any topic.
My calculations reach a lifetime cost of somewhere around $83,000 for 200 points at today's prices.

Biff215

My calculations reach a lifetime cost of somewhere around $83,000 for 200 points at today's prices.
If accurate, that means it’s $1,660 per year over 50 years. Not bad when 200 points gives you an average of around 10 nights in a studio (obviously could be more or less based on the resort and time of year). Definitely can’t stay in a deluxe now, or 50 years from now, for that kind of money. It’s why I could justify buying in at $86 over ten years ago.

With that said, I can’t imagine $83,000 is correct at around $200/point today. Half that would be initial buy in, and maintenance fees on 200 points won’t average less than $1,000/year over the life of the contract. Can you share your calculations?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

At one time DVC was the best investment ever, But with the defurbishments of the resorts over the past 3-4 years along with ever increasing member fees for less and less service. Like everything else at WDW it's been sacrificed on the Wall St altar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom