News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

Donal Duck

Not a single thing about their post was trolling. Still going to the Disney parks is still giving them your money. You may give less but they are still getting a lot. Sorry that hurts you so much.

Go read my op.
I asked what were the names of the 7 Disney Springs hotels not to argue about the new parking fees.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Go read my op.
I asked what were the names of the 7 Disney Springs hotels not to argue about the new parking fees.

Is this your first time on a Disney board?

If so, I kindly like to point out that every thread goes to greater discussion points...hence a discussion board.

The reality is that you don't need to ask for easily obtainable facts with new threads...you could have google "downtown disney area hotels" And found the answer in 30
Seconds flat.

There's no "secrets" regarding wdw travel planning...it's the most popular family destination on earth and everything to know has been put on the internet for 20+ years.

So he went on a tangent...he didn't troll.

DisneyFans4Life

So you are ok with paying more for tickets with less attractions and longer wait times at the parks due to lower staffing? You are ok with additional fees to stay on property when the on property resorts already cost more and provide less service than one off property? You are ok with higher prices for food when you can eat better or equivalent food off property for less money? You are ok with ridess being run down ( Space Mountain), not working much of the time ( I could list a few) and half the attractions at some parks for more money?

I am an AP holder and go several times a year. I also am not one to complain about the " add ons" that are optional. My view has been an optional add on is just that and everything has value to someone. If it has enough value to lots of people it will last and if I choose to use it, great. I pay for it. Thats absolutely fine because Disney is a business.

But as an AP holder, I have been devalued by the company, just as local AP holders have. And the increase in pricess and fees that are NOT optional are getting out of hand. Ill ask you this just like my mom did me..If your friends jump off a bridge, would you? Just because everyone else in Orlando charges for parking, now you have to also? When reality is, that fee for parking and a resort fee is already built into the cost of staying there. Thats why they already cost more than other properties. I am not a pixie duster, nor a management hater. I am a common sense practical person who works in a company who deals with Disney regularly. I get to see the "other side" of things. I also am pretty business smart and know the difference between customers whining to whine and customers with a legit gripe. And in this case, we have a legit gripe. Will all our emails and phone calls help? No. But what the problem becomes is what happens when the economy turns ( and its going to soon) and people have less disposable income? Will Disney, a property I adore and enjoy, be left priced out of the market and eventually crumble? Dont say it cant happen because it can. They are not preparing themselves and insulating for any downturn and thats a huge mistake.

So voicing our displeasure is not a bad thing. Doing it the right way is the way to go. Boycotts are silly. But speaking with a voice and then with the wallet is the only thing that you can do as an individual to try and make a difference. Unlike some, like yourself, who sit on their rears, bend over and just take it. Oh and your "short" lines wont happen. When things start turning and the crowds go down, in order to keep those lines long they will just have less operators or vehicles and make your wait just as long because they cant afford to pay more people by necessity, not by choice. Enjoy that in your silence.

I am ok with paying a premium because I feel that we still get our money's worth. When you are coming to vacation at a place like Disney, you should expect to pay more money for things. Is a value resort really worth $150/night? Is a bottle of water really worth $4?

My family are APs and we got multiple times a month. What you say about the parks and rides being run down just isn't accurate. These are rides and attractions that run pretty much all day 365 days a year...heaven forbid they have issues from time to time.

It's not about "bending over and taking it" like you and everyone else likes to say (see what I did there? I guess you're following others and jumping off that bridge too), it's about common sense (like you said) and understanding that the cost of things, including leisure and entertainment, is going to continue to increase.

There are obviously some people who think that Disney is no longer a value and I respectfully disagree with their opinion. Everyone is entitled to one though. I'm not asking you or anyone to agree with me, I'm simply stating my opinion. If writing to the executives about parking fees reverses the decision, I'll be the first to say "you told me so," but I don't see it happening. So for me, instead of getting bent out of shape, I will just budget a few extra dollars and enjoy my 10 days on property where I can roast marshmallows, have a dining plan, park my car and not move it, take boats and Monorails to parks, enjoy movies on the lawn and all sorts of other bonuses that you don't get by staying off property.

DisneyFans4Life

I think a fair amount of the fuss is because Disney hotels already cost so much to stay at and the fact that the parking fee was built into the cost of the room softened the blow somewhat for those on a budget. If Disney were to drop the price of rooms to take into account that the parking is no longer part of the price, that would be fair enough, but hell will freeze over before that ever happens.

It probably would have been a better idea to just increase room rates and include the parking so you don't "know" you're paying it, but at the end of the day, you're still going to end up paying more...so what does it really matter if it's itemized or inclusive...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think a fair amount of the fuss is because Disney hotels already cost so much to stay at and the fact that the parking fee was built into the cost of the room softened the blow somewhat for those on a budget. If Disney were to drop the price of rooms to take into account that the parking is no longer part of the price, that would be fair enough, but hell will freeze over before that ever happens.
Yep...you pretty much covered it.

The other false analogy are comparisons to cities/stadiums/ and other hotels in other locations.

that's were the potential demand outweighs size due to space and traffic.

Disney hotel parking lots have never been legitimately full. Not only that...the numbers using cars have gone down over time.

Donal Duck

Is this your first time on a Disney board?

If so, I kindly like to point out that every thread goes to greater discussion points...hence a discussion board.

The reality is that you don't need to ask for easily obtainable facts with new threads...you could have google "downtown disney area hotels" And found the answer in 30
Seconds flat.

There's no "secrets" regarding wdw travel planning...it's the most popular family destination on earth and everything to know has been put on the internet for 20+ years.

So he went on a tangent...he didn't troll.

Oh, I didn’t know this was your forum. 🙄
I can’t ask for the name of Disney Springs hotels but someone can try to start an argument with me by going off topic (trolling) and telling me I shouldn’t go to Disney anymore because I want to stay offsite ?

Last edited:

HollyAD

Yep...you pretty much covered it.

The other false analogy are comparisons to cities/stadiums/ and other hotels in other locations.

that's were the potential demand outweighs size due to space and traffic.

Disney hotel parking lots have never been legitimately full. Not only that...the numbers using cars have gone down over time.
Thank you for bringing in an educated view of the situation. Supply and demand rules would make sense if there weren't enough parking spots for everyone. I laugh at the thought of seeing parking lots full at WDW resorts. There is always plenty of parking. I paid $30 a night to park in Key West where there were probably 50 parking spots for a 100 room hotel. Parking is first come first serve for most places in Key West due to size constraint therefore it makes sense to charge for it. There is no problem with parking capacity at WDW resorts. Thanks to DME less people drive to the resorts anyway. This is clearly a greedy added charge, not a justifiable one. Perhaps we have to pay for Iger's big new shiny 423M contract...

John park hopper

I sent an email too. So far have only received the automated response and will be surprised if I get anything else.
One thing we are missing here is that the people who make these decisions are making millions of dollars a year already, and if they meet financial goals they will be paid millions MORE. If they can pocket an extra few million by charging for parking they are going to do it.
They simply do not care about those of us who have to save up for 2 years to take the grandkids to WDW.
I fully expect my letter to have all the impact of a porpoise passing gas in a category 5 hurricane, but at least I sent it.

DisAl: I am in the same boat as you retired and on a fixed income; had planned on saving for the 50th MK anniversary bash in 2022 and staying at a delux resort going all out. It would be the first visit for the 3 grandchildren to be honest I'm done with the nickel and diming. I can only imagine what the resorts, parking fees, park tickets, food, upcharges and other charges they will think of in 4 years. Sorry Disney you have priced me out---- will be looking for other vacations with the grand kids Will be letting Disney know their parking fee broke this stuborn mules back

jimbaker84

It probably would have been a better idea to just increase room rates and include the parking so you don't "know" you're paying it, but at the end of the day, you're still going to end up paying more...so what does it really matter if it's itemized or inclusive...
The various price increases implemented over the course of the last few years should have already more than taken parking into consideration.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh, I didn’t know this was your forum. 🙄
I can’t ask for the name of Disney Springs hotels but someone can try to start an argument with me by going off topic (trolling) and telling me I shouldn’t go to Disney anymore because I want to stay offsite ?

Again...this is just the reality of how things go. I didn't create the world.

This took about 3 seconds to find - by the way:

http://disneyspringshotels.com

Donal Duck

Again...this is just the reality of how things go. I didn't create the world.

This took about 3 seconds to find - by the way:

http://disneyspringshotels.com

You criticize me and attack me (in another one of your posts), for asking the names of Disney Springs hotels.
But yet you support (by your likes) and have no problem with another member trying to start an argument with me about something totally OT.
Which world do you live in ?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thank you for bringing in an educated view of the situation. Supply and demand rules would make sense if there weren't enough parking spots for everyone. I laugh at the thought of seeing parking lots full at WDW resorts. There is always plenty of parking. I paid $30 a night to park in Key West where there were probably 50 parking spots for a 100 room hotel. Parking is first come first serve for most places in Key West due to size constraint therefore it makes sense to charge for it. There is no problem with parking capacity at WDW resorts. Thanks to DME less people drive to the resorts anyway. This is clearly a greedy added charge, not a justifiable one. Perhaps we have to pay for Iger's big new shiny 423M Contract...

You noticed that too, huh?

In case the dusters defending disney missed it:

Iger contract guarantees him $282 million over 4 years - if he absolutely fails.

It could escalate to $423 if "easily obtainable" goals are met...which is why it was rebuked.

Eisner was taken to court in a class action shareholder lawsuit for giving Ovitz $160 mil for nothing over 18 months...

This is all out there...public record/knowledge.

Now why are you paying for parking? Supply and demand? Industry pattern?

...no...it's part of a bigger "extraction" pattern that goes to a Wall Street driven strategy that pays for things like this...executive compensation.

gmk3855

If people would as a whole stop going or refusing to pay for these up charges for everything Disney may get the hint. Unfortunately no matter what Disney adds that has a fee with it or starts to charge for items, people keep buying and or paying for it.

Before anyone starts to complain and say don't like it don't go or don't buy it, that is A STUPID RESPONSE. There is always going to be those that can and those that can't. If people want to send a message then everyone needs to be on one page and stick together.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If people would as a whole stop going or refusing to pay for these up charges for everything Disney may get the hint. Unfortunately no matter what Disney adds that has a fee with it or starts to charge for items, people keep buying and or paying for it.

Before anyone starts to complain and say don't like it don't go or don't buy it, that is A STUPID RESPONSE. There is always going to be those that can and those that can't. If people want to send a message then everyone needs to be on one page and stick together.

Consumer consciousness

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You noticed that too, huh?

In case the dusters defending disney missed it:

Iger contract guarantees him $282 million over 4 years - if he absolutely fails.

It could escalate to $423 if "easily obtainable" goals are met...which is why it was rebuked.

Eisner was taken to court in a class action shareholder lawsuit for giving Ovitz $160 mil for nothing over 18 months...

This is all out there...public record/knowledge.

Now why are you paying for parking? Supply and demand? Industry pattern?

...no...it's part of a bigger "extraction" pattern that goes to a Wall Street driven strategy that pays for things like this...executive compensation.

Looks like Bob Iger will take the new title for 'Most Obscene Compensation Package' since the 220 Million Bob Nardelli got when he was busy looting Home Depot (fortunately the founders were able to oust him).

But from a purely financial standpoint look at what Disney's financials would look like if that money was still in Disney's treasury instead of Iger's Wallet. Balance sheet would be in considerably better shape.

pug

Thank you.
Could you rank them?
Considering Embassy Suites too
If $ wasn’t a concern I would totally stay at the Embassy Suites Orlando Lake Buena Vista Resort so this would be my 1st pick. But you don’t get extra magic hours or the better fastpass booking window since this isn’t a “Disney Springs” hotel.

My 1st pick for a “Disney Springs” hotel would be the Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs Area
2. Double Tree
3.Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista
4.Holiday Inn Orlando – Disney Springs® Area
5. Best Western Lake Buena Vista – Disney Springs® Area
6. B Resort & Spa
7. Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista Disney Springs® Resort Area

Donal Duck

If $ wasn’t a concern I would totally stay at the Embassy Suites Orlando Lake Buena Vista Resort so this would be my 1st pick. But you don’t get extra magic hours or the better fastpass booking window since this isn’t a “Disney Springs” hotel.

My 1st pick for a “Disney Springs” hotel would be the Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs Area
2. Double Tree
3.Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista
4.Holiday Inn Orlando – Disney Springs® Area
5. Best Western Lake Buena Vista – Disney Springs® Area
6. B Resort & Spa
7. Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista Disney Springs® Resort Area

Thank you 👍🏻

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Disney's secret plan is to built more and more DVCs and resorts so the parks reach max capacity from those alone. When that happens they will rename It WDW private resort for the rich and famous (get all your money) thus excluding all off site hotel guests and day visitors. I am being sarcastic. You are correct they have done nothing to limit the crowds if anything they have exacerbate the problem with more and more DVC and resort construction.
That's not really a secret. I and others predicted that years ago. And when that happens, you'll need to reserve more than a room -- somebody's already mentioned the technology is in place to reserve specific parking spaces, which means tiered parking charges within the same resort hotel parking lot, not just in the theme park parking lots...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Anyone want to start the pool on how long before Disney's legal department figures out how to charge DVC members for parking. Don't even think that's not coming, Just a question of how and when. My guess is DVD will sell the 'outside public areas' to WDW and rent access to them, Hence enabling a charge because pools and parking lots are no longer part of DVC property so DVC HAS to charge for them in the name of 'cost recovery'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom