News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

Mainahman

I drive down from Chattanooga an average of twice a year. Somethimes more.

This is the first change that I actually find distasteful.
Same. Im likely to use my work cost savings, and find a resort close that still offers free parking, increase our trips and still save money off site.

esskay

How, specifically, is that going to work? With MDE you don't have to stop by the front desk for anything.

It’s not a complex system to implement. Either automatic or manual license plate reading at the gatehouse (for resorts that have one). This is matched up to you via your magic band or reservation check in which you have to give at the gatehouse on arrival.

For guests who don’t do this they get asked and told at check in. Any car in the car park at midnight that isn’t registered gets clamped.

Mainahman

A budget is a budget. If they think they're going to milk more out of me, they're dead wrong. It's just less money we'll be spending in the parks, which by default, makes Disney less of a value. I can't take parking home with me. Maybe we don't opt for Photopass next time to make up for this added expense.
If we remain on site, we already cut Photopass, so maybe park hoppers get cut.

tissandtully

A budget is a budget. If they think they're going to milk more out of me, they're dead wrong. It's just less money we'll be spending in the parks, which by default, makes Disney less of a value. I can't take parking home with me. Maybe we don't opt for Photopass next time to make up for this added expense.
Well, you see, Disney's aim this whole time has been to eliminate those with those pesky "budgets".

Indy_UK

The parking charges don't apply to me personally but is obviously shows what Disneys intentions are even for onsite guests.

I think I may just not bother with investing in DVC and just stay at the Whydum by Disney Springs, get all the 60 benefits, better hotel and some cracking rates in January/September when we tend to go

21stamps

Most are assuming resort fees will be next. The problem with what you are saying is it won't put an end to parking at the resorts to head to the parks for free, you can still park for free during the day, it's only overnight guests being punished.. I think most understand they are doing it to keep people on site and bring in a lot more revenue, but it is still insane considering what they charge for rooms at this point.

I don’t even care what they’re charging for the rooms when it comes to this new policy. I always defend Disney by saying “Well, everyone else is doing it.”

This time that’s not true though, Yes, most hotels charge for parking.. but those hotels do not allow random non-overnight guests to park at their property either.

Lets Respect

I think it's another angle of the 'just get more money'.

Notice it's a charge that will be automatically added to your checkout. You'll also notice that such a policy about 'overnight' makes it even harder to enforce towing, not making it easier.. as unless Disney is handing out parking passes, it still is hard for the company to effectively tell who is a short term parker, who is a overnighter, who is overstayed their period, etc. They can now easily tell from your MB that you have parking rights when entering the lot but the 'how to deal with short term parking' is the same problem it has always been.

TL: DR - This just tacking on a per night charge is a blanket, easy way to boost revenues.. and won't do a damn thing to actually address parking abuses.

Right. They're so cheap that they won't even add the necessary equipment and labor to validate cars parking for ADRs. Nor will they spend the money to fix the giant ADR loophole in the app. So you can drive right in, no ADR or fee, free parking. But they will crush the hotel guests with these fees because it's easy

esskay

I'm assuming they are going to ask at check in if you are parking a car, and then apply it to the bill. I don't see them installing hardware across the resort this quickly to do anything further.
Yeah that’s all they need to do for now. Although adding in a quick number plate reading can by the entrance would be fairly easy to do and could be rolled out within a couple of weeks.

alex0c

I have read what the announcement says, and I do not see anything about "resort fees".

I think WDW resorts/hotels should be like every other major hotel in Orlando and other major destinations and charge everyone that wants to park at the resorts regardless of shopping or Dining (except signature dining).

I can also tell you that the prices are far less than what you will pay at the Hilton or Marriott for parking, plus then you will still have to pay the resort fee.

Yes other hotels charge them but their rooms are also dramatically cheaper than Disney for comparable quality.

jakeman

One statement? Please don't try to paint this as twisting your words... I quoted your post in its entirety.

Should I include the similar lines in the post just before?

Point is.. you keep downplaying the change as 'the norm' - even if you don't support it. But its still justifying it. My point is, if you just accept the 'norm' that's what you will get.
ABSOLUTELY!

You understand that right @Kman101?

By saying that it's the norm and you don't like the norm and you don't like Disney lowering itself to the norm, you are effectively saying that you like the norm and you want Disney to operate as the norm despite what you clearly said previously.

What a pixie dust snorter....amirite @flynnibus?

:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom