News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
He's a former talking trashcan which used to roll around Tomorrowland interacting with guests. The character is actually named after one of our most well-known and knowledgeable members here on the forums.

Oh yes! I do remember the trashcan! I didn't know he was named after a member here on the forum...was this person well liked or not? I'm trying to figure out the context when @lazyboy97o inserts "PUSH" lol

EDIT: I just saw @lazyboy97o 's response! Thanks again

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
No, PUSH the Trash Can was a third party operated, moving and talking trash can that interacting with guests. Word got out that contract negotiations were not going well and the character would be leaving soon. Disney told The Orlando Sentinel that the rumors were without merit and that PUSH was not going anywhere. The very next day, Disney announced that PUSH was gone effective immediately. The whole ordeal is a great example of how Disney always denies regardless of the actual situation. Disney saying they have no plans to introduce parking and/or resort fees is meaningless because that would be the public position regardless of any actual plans.

Okay-now I get it. Thanks for the explantation!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Pretty sure that this is a trol thread. Email Bob Chapek and when they call you to respond to your suggestions they tell you that he was confused as to where they got the rumor from. I trust TWDC way more than some random member saying that it was Chapek calling for more fees. This thread needs to be closed. Email Bob I dare you guys lol.

On a side note, they also took my Epcot FW lack of theme suggestions and are "reviewing" them. So definitely email them. You need a MyMagic+ account for them to find your info to call you.
You realize that Disney actually surveyed guests about this very concept? And that in many cases, once they survey on a subject, they follow through with it?

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/wal...a-nightly-resort-fee-to-its-resort-hotels.htm

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
If this goes through, we will be choosing Shades over any WDW resort for the foreseeable future.

There's something about this rumor that rubs me the wrong way. Really the wrong way. It might make me consider selling my points and never coming back. I don't know. I saw this thread last night and thought about it on my long, boring commute into work. I first set foot in MK in 1972. I've been to WDW more times than I can count. I'm from Florida. Lots of family and friends down there. We almost always work some Disney time in. I own 300 DVC points. I saw Star Wars 44 times first run in the theater. My family would drop me off at our local mall. Movie tickets cost $3.25. I got $3.00/week allowance so I missed some weeks. At some point, my dad had to drive myself and my best friend at the time to the local drive in to watch it (roughly week 40-60 of first run, some theatres carried Star Wars for more than a year, but our local mall dropped it at roughly week 40). I'm not a bigwig insider...but I know a few things. I am of the belief that they are putting a lot of effort into the SW land attractions. I may not drop any money there or ever visit. I dunno. Nickel and diming...Disney used to be different. Now they aren't. I've made the effort to write letters about other things. I'm really not sure if they do any good. I may not care anymore. I'll have to see if a) this rumor comes to fruition and b) see how it settles in my psyche. Right now, not good.

Last edited:

21stamps

I can't wrap my head about how they are going to charge this fee without including amenities that are currently "free". What can they even offer to justify this additional fee?
I have asked this question 300 times in this thread. It's nonsensical. Period.
I just can't imagine anyone sitting in a boardroom and saying "Let's add a $15 resort fee for everything that's included already." Another person says "Great idea. Don't you think we should add some service or amenity to justify it?" "Nope."

How would that even happen?

lobelia

There's something about this rumor that rubs me the wrong way. Really the wrong way. It might make me consider selling my points and never coming back. I don't know. I saw this thread last night and thought about it on my long, boring commute into work. I first set foot in MK in 1972. I've been to WDW more times than I can count. I'm from Florida. Lots of family and friends down there. We almost always work some Disney time in. I own 300 DVC points. I saw Star Wars 44 times first run in the theater. My family would drop me off at our local mall. Movie tickets cost $3.25. I got $3.00/week allowance so I missed some weeks. At some point, my dad had to drive myself and my best friend at the time to the local drive through to watch it (roughly week 40-60 of first run, some theatres carried Star Wars for more than a year, but our local mall dropped it at roughly week 40). I'm not a bigwig insider...but I know a few things. I am of the belief that they are putting a lot of effort into the SW land attractions. I may not drop any money there or ever visit. I dunno. Nickel and diming...Disney used to be different. Now they aren't. I've made the effort to write letters about other things. I'm really not sure if they do any good. I may not care anymore. I'll have to see if a) this rumor comes to fruition and b) see how it settles in my psyche. Right now, not good.

Feel the same way. It's disheartening.

SoccerMickey

Disney has always encouraged guests to visit their resorts for dining, shopping, or to see the Christmas decorations. It really makes me feel wanted when I can visit ( probably to spend some money) and then have to get out before the parking fee kicks in. The individual hotels ( I am not calling them resorts) are not destinations in and of themselves.

I just feel this is a major mistake and that the Disney management has used up whatever goodwill it had with many of those who were lifelong fans.
ay
The Old Disney used to encourage guests to visit the resorts but I do not feel that's the case anymore. I realize that's a broad statement when you can usually pull up to any moderate/value and say you're coming in for lunch and walk around but let's face it, this pending parking charge is due to the resorts we all want to park at, Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Beach Club, and BoardWalk. These resorts tend to have a high occupancy rate with very popular activities and dining options and it is in Disney's best interest to keep the guests actually staying at those resorts happy and one of the ways they can do so is by keeping those amenities limited to outside guests. There are times when you can pull up to the Grand Floridian and tell the security guard that you're coming in to look at the Gingerbread House at Christmas time and have him tell you to turn around, park at the TTC, and take the monorail over. Resort hopping used to be how we would spend a couple of nights on vacation as something we'd like to do and now we don't because we don't feel like its worth the hassle. I don't think Disney encourages it anymore, nor have they for a while, which is probably why they cut out the resort segments of the in-room channels at the hotels.

Grimley1968

I just can't imagine anyone sitting in a boardroom and saying "Let's add a $15 resort fee for everything that's included already." Another person says "Great idea. Don't you think we should add some service or amenity to justify it?" "Nope."

Personally, I wouldn't use an underestimation of Disney's recent greed to underpin a belief that this won't happen.

Charging guests more while offering the same or less has been ongoing for years now.

No one knows for sure it will happen yet, but a) it fits squarely in line with other recent moves and b) the idea has been floated in surveys.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

And yet it's been done before, as was pointed out to you previously....

And yes, finding new revenue streams at as low a cost as possible is nothing new for a business.

21stamps

Personally, I wouldn't use an underestimation of Disney's recent greed to underpin a belief that this won't happen.

Charging guests more while offering the same or less has been ongoing for years now.

No one knows for sure it will happen yet, but a) it fits squarely in line with other recent moves and b) the idea has been floated in surveys.
It's different. This benefits no one. Not Disney, not any consumer.
And yet it's been done before, as was pointed out to you previously....

And yes, finding new revenue streams at as low a cost as possible is nothing new for a business.
Where/when has it been done?
Tickets? Nope. That makes sense. They had to stop the non expiring at some point. People can rationalize that decision.
Packages? People can rationalize that as well.
These things wouldn't be deal breakers for many folks.
I don't know of anything that is Apples to Apples with something like this proposal. I guess we'll just wait and see what happens.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can't wrap my head around how they are going to charge this fee without including amenities that are currently "free". What can they even offer to justify this additional fee?

park to park bus hopping... ;)
Claim its the buses...
free parking...

They can paint it many different ways when they can simply charge for things that used to be free otherwise.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
park to park bus hopping... ;)
Claim its the buses...
free parking...

They can paint it many different ways when they can simply charge for things that used to be free otherwise.

If they do this in that fashion, I cannot imagine there will not be a big uproar. Maybe the biggest in a while...

21stamps

If they do this in that fashion, I cannot imagine there will not be a big uproar. Maybe the biggest in a while...
Exactly.
the lengths people will go to deny a trend exists blows my mind. How do people function in daily life??
Because a few people think rationally?

I'll say it for the 989th time. This doesn't make sense. Risk vs Reward for what? There's no positive outcome here. All it will lead to is a press and Disney fan uproar.

21stamps

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man, that was hilarious. I'll be chuckling about this one all day.
I'll ask again. If you were sitting in on that meeting, what would you say? How do you think the discussion/proposition would play out?
I understand that people on these boards like to say that Disney execs are idiots..but I don't think they got to where they are in life by being completely stupid.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It's different. This benefits no one. Not Disney, not any consumer.

Where/when has it been done?
Tickets? Nope. That makes sense. They had to stop the non expiring at some point. People can rationalize that decision.
Packages? People can rationalize that as well.
These things wouldn't be deal breakers for many folks.
I don't know of anything that is Apples to Apples with something like this proposal. I guess we'll just wait and see what happens.
So, because you can't rationalize it, you can't imagine the possibility of others being able to do so? Sorry, TWDC is a business, and this would be a business decision....

RobidaFlats

I'll ask again. If you were sitting in on that meeting, what would you say? How do you think the discussion/proposition would play out?

You already asked a question, received an iron-clad answer and couldn't handle it.

Your posts aren't about discourse, they're about hilarious levels of irrational deflection and dismissal, hence my reaction to your previous post. I have a little free time to today and have enjoyed your offerings thus far, so please continue. Don't be concerned about my lack of responses, I assure you I'll be reading. I can always use a good laugh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom