News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

21stamps

So, because you can't rationalize it, you can't imagine the possibility of others being able to do so? Sorry, TWDC is a business, and this would be a business decision....
They are a business. That's why it would be a horrible decision. A business doesn't implement a fee to purposely gain bad press.

space42

I'll ask again. If you were sitting in on that meeting, what would you say? How do you think the discussion/proposition would play out?
I understand that people on these boards like to say that Disney execs are idiots..but I don't think they got to where they are in life by being completely stupid.
They will most likely through in an extra fast pass. Costs them nothing and it justifies the fee. Problem solved.

Todd H

Disney's about priced me out. We're heading back this summer for my son's birthday but I'm still in sticker shock at how much prices have increased since our last visit just a couple of years ago. It's getting hard to justify spending so much money when I can spend a lot less elsewhere. And I say this as someone who's trip count is in the double digits.

Grimley1968

I'll ask again. If you were sitting in on that meeting, what would you say? How do you think the discussion/proposition would play out?
I understand that people on these boards like to say that Disney execs are idiots..but I don't think they got to where they are in life by being completely stupid.
I can easily see a board that approved

a) spending $2 billion + on an attraction rationing system meant to replace one that already worked well,
b) numerous upsells and charges for things that used to be included,
c) an attrition program for attractions rather than expanded capacity

as being a board too greedy for immediate cash grabs to realize how bad this idea would be in the long run.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
They are a business. That's why it would be a horrible decision. A business doesn't implement a fee to purposely gain bad press.
They're not worried about bad press because there wouldn't be much. What, some upset voices on discussion forums? A few lifestylers upset they may have to actually pay for something (although I'm sure a deal there will be arranged)? All TWDC will say say that they're keeping in line with other resorts/hotels. And the majority of people will collectively shrug and move on....

FigmentForver96

Who says they would get bad press? And let's say they did, who would cover it? The local outlets maybe a few national outlets. Most people aren't going to care or even take the time to notice. Disney has had bad press before and it's obviously done very little. Forget something like that making global news and plenty of the Disney cash comes from foreign guest. This isn't something Disney would just announce either. If done, I imagine it will quietly be slipped in.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
They're not worried about bad press because there wouldn't be much. What, some upset voices on discussion forums? A few lifestylers upset they may have to actually pay for something (although I'm sure a deal there will be arranged)? All TWDC will say say that they're keeping in line with other resorts/hotels. And the majority of people will collectively shrug and move on....

Who says they would get bad press? And let's say they did, who would cover it? The local outlets maybe a few national outlets. Most people aren't going to care or even take the time to notice. Disney has had bad press before and it's obviously done very little. Forget something like that making global news and plenty of the Disney cash comes from foreign guest. This isn't something Disney would just announce either. If done, I imagine it will quietly be slipped in.

I think you are underestimating the outcry this could receive. Especially if everything "included" in this fee is already offered as free.

21stamps

They will most likely through in an extra fast pass. Costs them nothing and it justifies the fee. Problem solved.
That's what I said in a previous post.. if they throw in a few things to justify a resort fee then I could see it happening. But what's being said here is that nothing extra will be included. The charge will be for existing offerings. There's a million articles on resort fees..people hate them, but they include SOMETHING. A place like WDW implementing a resort fee while not adding a service. It would cause outrage.
This wouldn't be people on message boards. It would be every press outlet.
I can easily see a board that approved

a) spending $2 billion + on an attraction rationing system meant to replace one that already worked well,
b) numerous upsells and charges for things that used to be included,
c) an attrition program for attractions rather than expanded capacity

as being a board too greedy for immediate cash grabs to realize how bad this idea would be in the long run.

Those are all revenue gaining items that are attractive to some people. That's the difference with this proposal. It would be attractive to 0 people.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
That's what I said in a previous post.. if they throw in a few things to justify a resort fee then I could see it happening. But what's being said here is that nothing extra will be included. The charge will be for existing offerings. There's a million articles on resort fees..people hate them, but they include SOMETHING. A place like WDW implementing a fee while not adding a service. It would cause outrage.

This wouldn't be people on message boards. It would be every press outlet.

Those are all revenue gaining items that are attractive to some people. That's the difference with this proposal. It would be attractive to 0 people.
Every press outlet? Please. Now you're simply being argumentative. It won't hit "every" outlet, not even close. And again, all TWDC has to say is that they're simply moving in line with other hotels/resorts. And the "press outlets" will move onto another story....

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
No, I'm not. And TWDC will simply move along. Perhaps the price gets adjusted; perhaps. But greater odds are they'll simply move forward, business as usual....

Yes, you are. People hate hate hate these fees, including certain US Senators. And if WDW does it in a way where there isn't even a perceived value at all behind it, I expect there to be push back; especially because they are Disney.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
There's something about this rumor that rubs me the wrong way. Really the wrong way. It might make me consider selling my points and never coming back. I don't know. I saw this thread last night and thought about it on my long, boring commute into work. I first set foot in MK in 1972. I've been to WDW more times than I can count. I'm from Florida. Lots of family and friends down there. We almost always work some Disney time in. I own 300 DVC points. I saw Star Wars 44 times first run in the theater. My family would drop me off at our local mall. Movie tickets cost $3.25. I got $3.00/week allowance so I missed some weeks. At some point, my dad had to drive myself and my best friend at the time to the local drive in to watch it (roughly week 40-60 of first run, some theatres carried Star Wars for more than a year, but our local mall dropped it at roughly week 40). I'm not a bigwig insider...but I know a few things. I am of the belief that they are putting a lot of effort into the SW land attractions. I may not drop any money there or ever visit. I dunno. Nickel and diming...Disney used to be different. Now they aren't. I've made the effort to write letters about other things. I'm really not sure if they do any good. I may not care anymore. I'll have to see if a) this rumor comes to fruition and b) see how it settles in my psyche. Right now, not good.

If @George is being rubbed the really wrong way we should all be very, very, very concerned. Right @Bob ?

21stamps

Every press outlet? Please. Now you're simply being argumentative. It won't hit "every" outlet, not even close. And again, all TWDC has to say is that they're simply moving in line with other hotels/resorts. And the "press outlets" will move onto another story....
They wouldn't be moving in line with other hotels/resorts. Those hotels and resorts all include something in their resort fees. Even if it's minuscule. I'm not being argumentative, I'm pointing out what happens in the travel industry.
See below-
Yes, you are. People hate hate hate these fees, including certain US Senators. And if WDW does it in a way where there isn't even a perceived value at all behind it, I expect there to be push back; especially because they are Disney.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Senators? Good grief; they're not going to complain how a major corporation (and potential donor) like TWDC conducts their business....

RobidaFlats

People said the same things about the H1-B visa kerfuffle. I'm not saying that the government won't step in (in fact there are plans) but it still hasn't happened and most people have forgotten about the dust up.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Senators? Good grief; they're not going to complain how a major corporation (and potential donor) like TWDC conducts their business....

lol...ok. The government already has a spotlight on these fees as many within the government are not happy that major hotel companies have them. Disney going through with this is only going to make that light shine brighter. I cannot go into any further detail than that...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
They wouldn't be moving in line with other hotels/resorts. Those hotels and resorts all include something in their resort fees. Even if it's minuscule. I'm not being argumentative, I'm pointing out what happens in the travel industry.
See below-
Do other hotels/resorts charge for parking? Yes or no? I know you can't fathom that a beloved corporation as TWDC would do something so dreadful, but here we (potentially) are....

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
lol...ok. The government already has a spotlight on these fees as many within the government are not happy that major hotel companies have them. Disney going through with this is only going to make that light shine brighter. I cannot go into any further detail than that...
Given the current political landscape, "many within the government" really won't concern TWDC that much considering who is in charge....

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Given the current political landscape, "many within the government" really won't concern TWDC that much considering who is in charge....

ok...take my warning however you wish. We will see how it plays out. Hopefully Disney makes a decision not to implement these fees...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom