News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think if you see changes...it would be outside of legislation from Congress...thinking more like FTC and/or judicial hearings. Not sure you need to pass a law to change the way these charges are currently being handled.

It can be regulated by the FTC. Last year the FTC agreed that resort fees were an unfair practice, but the chairwoman at the time felt that the best way to enact a ban was to have Congress enact an industry wide bill rather than have the FTC investigate and fine individual resorts. The Senate bill was introduced but died on the vine. Right now there is an acting head of the FTC and 3 open spots to be appointed by President Trump. It's unlikely that these individuals will favor adding additional regulations. Here's a few articles from last year:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-legislation-hidden-resort-fees-20160108-story.html
http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ces-bill-against-hidden-resort-fees/80935922/

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It can be regulated by the FTC. Last year the FTC agreed that resort fees were an unfair practice, but the chairwoman at the time felt that the best way to enact a ban was to have Congress enact an industry wide bill rather than have the FTC investigate and fine individual resorts. The Senate bill was introduced but died on the vine. Right now there is an acting head of the FTC and 3 open spots to be appointed by President Trump. It's unlikely that these individuals will favor adding additional regulations. Here's a few articles from last year:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-legislation-hidden-resort-fees-20160108-story.html
http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ces-bill-against-hidden-resort-fees/80935922/

The thing with these cases is that they are related to hidden resort fees. Like the McCaskill bill would "require hotels to disclose and include the full cost of a traveler’s stay in their room rate." So they could still charge them as long as they disclose it it the rate breakdown when a guest books. Most of the big hotel chains do/try to do this already. It would not get rid of them. Unless I am reading this incorrectly...

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The thing with these cases is that they are related to hidden resort fees. Like the McCaskill bill would "require hotels to disclose and include the full cost of a traveler’s stay in their room rate." So they could still charge them as long as they disclose it it the rate breakdown when a guest books. Most of the big hotel chains do/try to do this already. It would not get rid of them. Unless I am reading this incorrectly...
It's all about online searches. The fees are eventually disclosed when you go to book, but they don't come up on a search on a site like Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, etc... When you are trying to compare resort prices to each other the rates you compare don't include the resort fee. It all started in Vegas which has a ton of hotels and a very competitive market. Resorts figured out they could gain an advantage by showing a lower room rate but making that up with a higher resort fee. If you don't read the fine print carefully you might miss that the resort fees exist. Unlike airfare which you pay when booking, the majority of hotel rooms are not paid for when you book but rather at checkout. This makes it much more likely that a consumer would miss the fee.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In a Disney example here's a screen shot of the CR rate page:
IMG_0682.PNG

I am assuming that if they add a resort fee they would not have to update the standard room rate of $629.71 but when you click on rate details you will see the resort fee. Before you booked the room you would see a total cost, but in an initial search it wouldn't be there. That's the benefit of having a resort fee for the hotel. Otherwise you could just raise your room rate by whatever the resort fee is and get the same economic benefit.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is how the Mirage shows their rates:

IMG_0683.PNG

So the room rate shows as $67.15 and the $35 resort fee is shown below in tiny print. Your real cost is $102.15 a night. If the Senate bill passed Mirage would be forced to show the rate as $102.15 instead of $67.15 both on their website and on other online search sites.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
This is how the Mirage shows their rates:

View attachment 197020

So the room rate shows as $67.15 and the $35 resort fee is shown below in tiny print. Your real cost is $102.15 a night. If the Senate bill passed Mirage would be forced to show the rate as $102.15 instead of $67.15 both on their website and on other online search sites.

I don't like paying resort fees but I have no issue with the way the resort fee is displayed for the mirage. It's clear to me and I'm sure if you continue booking it's going to be included in the total final price. But that is because I am used to seeing these fees so would never miss it when called out. I get others may not notice though. And then when you are comparing hotels on Expedia and other third party sites, that is where it gets tricky and annoying as you said.

slappy magoo

WDW's business model up to this point has been based on the notion of "keep them on site." Tier the park tickets so you have the illusion of value the longer you stay (or as I think they put it "the longer you stay the more you SAVE!"). Have a bus pick you up and drop you off at the airport. Dining Plans so you don't go offsite to eat. Even shops with limited convenience store items so you don't go offsite to buy a half gallon of milk or bread or cereal if you want to eat some meals in your room.

As a result one of the reasons they could charge as much as they do for rooms is because "all fees are included."

Now, the idea for charging for parking might be "if you don't have a car you have less incentive to go off property" and that helps keep you on property.

Another idea for charging for parking might be to help offset an increase across the board in room rates. I know others have argued "just increase the room rates!" But if you don't drive, and charging someone who drives to WDW for the privilege of parking means their rates go up but your rates don't? You might be thrilled with the charge for parking.

But whatever the "industry standard" might be, I think adding additional fees is the sort of thing that would give WDW a PR black eye. Because the diehard Disney addicts, the ones who might opt to drive because it saves them the money to afford to go back a little more often? The ones who live far enough away that they can't just drive there and home in the course of a day, but not so far away that flying makes sense (thinking near-but-not-too-near states like South Carolina or Tennessee)? All you're potentially doing is shifting their budgets away from other things like dining or souvenirs. Granted, by making them pay resort fees or parking fees you're more or less making them pay for "nothing,*" whereas paying for food and souvenirs you need to provide a tangible thing and the costs incurred in making and storing and preparing the thing. (*I know you're paying for something with those fees but it's rarely tangible, like parking in theory pays for the upkeep of the lot, the security, etc, nothing you bring home or stuff in your piehole). But if making someone spend $50 in parking means they don't buy a $50 sweatshirt that they wear around back home and remind people about how much fun it is to go to WDW, basically free advertising, will that be a good thing, ultimately? Can they guarantee people will pay the additional fees AND spend as much on tangibles as they would have were there no additional fees, or will this wind up being a rob-Peter-to-pay-Paul scenario? My guess is it'll wind up being the latter, they won't make the additional revenue necessary to justify the ill will.

raven

Aside from a grocery store to get some snacks and bottled beverages, where else would most guests go?
Ha!! You are the prime example of a brainwashed Disneyphile, no offense. Disney doesn't want you to see what lies beyond their property and you have fallen for that. It isn't your fault. They just dona great job at making sure you stay there and never leave their sights.

But Central Florida is full of world class entertainment and offerings. There are exciting new things popping up every week. I'm. It just talking about other theme parks either. You really are missing some spectacular things by only staying on Disney property.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Ha!! You are the prime example of a brainwashed Disneyphile, no offense. Disney doesn't want you to see what lies beyond their property and you have fallen for that. It isn't your fault. They just dona great job at making sure you stay there and never leave their sights.

But Central Florida is full of world class entertainment and offerings. There are exciting new things popping up every week. I'm. It just talking about other theme parks either. You really are missing some spectacular things by only staying on Disney property.

Sometimes people visit Orlando just to visit WDW. Sometimes they visit Orlando to visit WDW as well as do other things in Orlando and other parts of Florida. If someone plans a trip and devotes their time to visit WDW only, it may be convenient to stay on property if you want to spend the money on it. It may be less convenient or make less sense for someone who has planned to see the other sights of Florida.

Bottom line, depending on the purpose of your visit to Orlando and/or Florida, their are pros and cons to staying onsite or staying offsite. No one is right or wrong. It is what works best for you and your overall trip plans.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
$60/day???????
i can rent a mustang for way less than that....last trip I rented a full size from Thrifty for $189 for 15 days after taxes and fees

I was going to say, $60/day for a car rental??? We've paid $200 for a minivan for a week on multiple occasions. The freedom that renting a car allows you is, in my experience, worth far more than the price you pay for the car rental, especially when you stay on-site.

MinnieWaffles

Grow up. Do you really have to resort to silly namecalling because you don't agree with a poster's views?

Unplugged

As a side note on the WDW to Vegas comparison, Vegas resorts do not (currently) charge for resort parking. I just returned from a business trip, having stayed at the Vdara. Also, the "resort fee" is reasonable (at Vdara & Aria anyway), but you get charged tax on it. So don't forget to factor that in to your estimates. Though this resort fee is constant & presented up front, which makes it seem more acceptable, it's still an illusion for "alternate facts" on pricing.

Last thing, Disney has moved to a seasonal model for price fluctuations for room & ticket pricing, where as Vegas is nightly. Those that don't travel, browse any Vegas property and you'll see the pricing swings wildly, like The Rat Pack at the Sands in the old days!

From my actual charges:
2017-03-21 VDA Room Revenue 182.00
2017-03-21 Room Tax - 13.38% 24.35
2017-03-21 VDA Resort Fee 10.00
2017-03-21 VDA Resort Fee Tax 1.34

Unplugged

Grow up. Do you really have to resort to silly namecalling because you don't agree with a poster's views?
I don't believe @raven was calling you names. "Disneyphile" is a common term used by everyone I know who are complete and total fans of all things Disneyana. As far as brainwashed, the reference didn't sound intentionally insulting. Simply that Disney has been working diligently to mask reality of the outside world from all of us, or to "brainwash" all of us from even considering stepping off the WDW resort. I'm DVC with a vested interest and I understand the whole brainwashing marketing game, which does get to you after a while and requires a little refresher on their tactics. Same goes to the prior references to Vegas. I know a lot of folks who go there for leisure multiple times a year and calling themselves Vegas-philes. But for those that believe there is no reason to leave the resort, of any city, the marketing teams have them "brainwashed".

rushtest4echo

All valid points. Hence the reason why WDW resort is already so much more expensive vs. the value of the actual room than off-site options. Adding a resort fee on top of this is simply greed. No one will be able to convince me otherwise.

Agreed, but that greed pervades the industry. I'm shocked Disney didn't succumb to it years ago. Same with paying for Fastpass (which is rearing its ugly head in Shanghai and creeping in over at Disneyland- how long till we end up with the typical "give us money to cut the line"). I hope Disney holds the line on these things, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them just do what all the cool kids in the industry are doing.

CaptainAmerica

I was going to say, $60/day for a car rental??? We've paid $200 for a minivan for a week on multiple occasions. The freedom that renting a car allows you is, in my experience, worth far more than the price you pay for the car rental, especially when you stay on-site.
Yeah that CAN happen, but it's not normal. And most car renters aren't savvy enough to know where all the discounts are. A minivan for my week in August is currently at $704.94 for eight days.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Well, thank goodness for Costco Travel, then. A minivan from August 7-August 14, from Enterprise - $288.46.

Edit: And Costco isn't the only way to save money on car rentals that is available to the average Joe and Jane. If you pay full price for a car rental in the age of the interwebs, well, then that's your own fault.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom