News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

21stamps

Pool games - yes.

I don't know what kind of tours would be available - here's your pool, here's your arcade, here's your food court, here's where you can park your car - for a charge (or not) of $30/night. Tour over.
I don't know about games, but they do movies at pool side at night.
Ok thanks. That makes more sense as why they're "resorts". They have amenities and activities.

Chef Mickey

Excess cash not needed to run the business should be given back to shareholders vis dividends. Buybacks should be done with the expectation of an increase in stock price. Currently DIS is buying back at the top.
What do you mean "should" be? Again, I pointed out dividends have drawbacks including tax implications. Buybacks aren't perfect, but companies use both as a means to return value to shareholders and neither is clearly the right way to go. You like a dividend? Great....your opinion. I like my stock price and EPS to increase too without paying pesky taxes on dividends.

You have no idea what the top of DIS is...it could be much higher and insiders would know better than us. Remember, there is no guarantee Disney is going to go back to lower levels...that's kind of the idea.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Lol. Maybe you shouldn't paint with such a broad brush.

I've been on this site since 2004. We used to go three times a year, usually for 9 or 10 days each... Always staying on site. As the product has deteriorated and costs have continued to skyrocket, we've cut our trips to WDW down to one every 2 or 3 years, and stay in Bonnet Creek. We do less days in the Disney parks and go to Uni. We don't get the meal plan. In addition, we've been cruising, beaching, and exploring the Disney parks in other areas of the world.

In March, we're taking a trip to Shanghai Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland.

Yes, Disney still gets some of my dollars. But not NEARLY what they used to get. And I have no shame spending it on good Disney quality product.

I wasn't afraid to step outside our comfort zone to see what else there was, and I encourage everyone else to do it. Put your wallets where your mouths are. Really investigate the costs of visiting international parks (it's often not nearly as bad as you think). Open your eyes to what else is out there, both parks related and not. But beware... Once you do... You can't put the genie back in the bottle (pardon the pun).

Or... Keep paying TDO ever-increasing fees in the form of parking and resort fees. Because affter all... You can see the tip of the castle half a mile away from your barely three star room that's priced like a 5 star, even before all the fees!!!
ITA. When we lived in FL, we went several times a year. We moved away in 2009, and still went in 2010 and had a trip sched for 2012 when FE, followed by the whole MDE/MB/FP+ thing kicked in, so we postponed until the dust settled. We didn't go again until 2014 (DL/DCA) and then in 2016 we decided to try WDW again. We had a good time, but it felt too regimented. So now our next trip will likely be Tokyo later this year. I can't see going back to WDW until all the upgrades are finished.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
For those saying new parking/resort fees would be the last straw to either not going or staying off-site be honest, you will continue to go and stay on-site.

You're addicts.

Disney is your passion. You cannot live without it, period.

How do I know this? Your posting on a Disney Fan website.

Quitting any addiction is hard if not impossible for some. So stop all the emotional responses to this rumor. Suck it up and admit at the end of the day, you are going back and you are staying on-site. You'll feel much better when YOU realize you have an addiction.
Just so you know -- I can quit any time I like.

I don't see it so much as an addiction as it is being brainwashed. Many of us grew up with Disney in the household, on TV, and in the theaters. We learned early on to associate the Disney logo, the parks, the movies and toys with feeling good and having a good time.

But, like any mental disturbance, recognizing it is the first step in recovery.

Goofyernmost

Just so you know -- I can quit any time I like.

I don't see it so much as an addiction as it is being brainwashed. Many of us grew up with Disney in the household, on TV, and in the theaters. We learned early on to associate the Disney logo, the parks, the movies and toys with feeling good and having a good time.

But, like any mental disturbance, recognizing it is the first step in recovery.
I agree, to me it is a place that I can get away too. I'm familiar with it and it is comfortable. It's a destination that is easy for me, no surprises, no language barriers, no money exchanges, no customs and nothing but happy memories for me. However, when I'm not there I don't really have a huge desire to go. I am going down to Florida in a week or so and am still not sure if I'm even going to set foot on Disney property. That was never a thought before. If I was going to be in Central Florida, I was going to be in WDW at some point in time. Not this time. First time in 34 years.

asianway

I think it's the opposite. People who travel realize that you will pay more for location. It's that simple. Disney charges what they do for resorts because of their amenities and proximity to the parks..the transportation you receive etc.
They aren't 5 star, they don't need to be 5 star. Look at how much 5 star accommodations do cost..especially elsewhere in Florida. Total cost, not just the room. You'd also be hard pressed to find any of them offering a 30% discount off the price of the room.
It's a shame there's not a Hilton, Sheraton or Westin on Disney property so we could compare room rates vs amenities...

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
This is probably the primary reason I want fewer people at Disney. I don't want people going to Disney who are mad before they go about "how expensive it is." That's actually why I want to price those people completely out. There is nothing more annoying than complainers while you're on vacation. You hear it there all the time, particularly on the buses after a long day at the parks with a lot of spending.

People are nasty, unfortunately. Look how people act when they don't get their way in politics. Ultimately, I just want to go to Disney to have fun and be a kid. If it costs a little more, I'm happy to pay it because I know I'm getting a great experience with a great cast. The way I hear people speaking to cast members makes me physically sick at times. Those are the kind of people I want limited.

I went to MK today. The waits were great, but the food was disgusting, it was under cooked, over priced, and 50% of what I ordered was not given to me because they didn't bother to ring it up properly. I guess I should keep my mouth shut because Disney is a business. That makes total sense. :hilarious:

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
I agree, to me it is a place that I can get away too. I'm familiar with it and it is comfortable. It's a destination that is easy for me, no surprises, no language barriers, no money exchanges, no customs and nothing but happy memories for me. However, when I'm not there I don't really have a huge desire to go. I am going down to Florida in a week or so and am still not sure if I'm even going to set foot on Disney property. That was never a thought before. If I was going to be in Central Florida, I was going to be in WDW at some point in time. Not this time. First time in 34 years.
At the very least, check out the revamped Disney Springs area. It's really lovely. Hubby and I have budgeted even more time there during our next trip.

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
I went to MK today. The waits were great, but the food was disgusting, it was under cooked, over priced, and 50% of what I ordered was not given to me because they didn't bother to ring it up properly. I guess I should keep my mouth shut because Disney is a business. That makes total sense. :hilarious:

You're complaining of the food being overpriced?! How dare you! No Disney for you!! At least that's what someone would like to happen to you. Oh wait-what a coincidence: wasn't the Soup Nazi a Chef too??

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
No like for you. Bc you didn't work hard AND you're not funny.

Sorry, I guess 22 years of brutal reality living the Army life doesn't qualify as work. I work as a pretty well compensated professional now so I do have an appreciation for the value of hard earned money. So forgive my sarcasm if your life choices haven't put you where you'd like to be.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Sorry, I guess 22 years of brutal reality living the Army life doesn't qualify as work. I work as a pretty well compensated professional now so I do have an appreciation for the value of hard earned money. So forgive my sarcasm if your life choices haven't put you where you'd like to be.
Erm. I said you didn't work hard on your post. Take it down a notch brah.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Since we're not paying resort fees now, what additional amenities will be added to suddenly justify a resort fee? Adding $50-$100 a day to the already outrageous resort prices may just be enough for me to call it quits for another year or two.
Probably the same amenities that every other resort that has added resort fees over the years added...None
Resort fees should be illegal. Any mandatory fees should be included in the room rate. I was starting to get the itch for another trip, but this will nip that in the bud. The parking fee alone is outrageous.
Agreed. There was a bill called The Truth in Hotel Advertising Act which would have made it illegal to not include any mandatory fees (like resort fees) in the advertised nightly rate for a room. Unfortunately the bill died in the Senate last year and I think there are probably bigger fish to fry in DC right now so a similar bill probably won't get voted on anytime soon.

Vegas is really bad with these fees. For instance the advertised nightly rate at Excalibur (which is a pretty low end resort on the strip) can go for as low as $28 but the resort fee is $30. It's just a scam to try to compete on price on popular online sites. What I don't get for WDW is they really aren't trying to compete on price so what's the point.

Phil12

It's a shame there's not a Hilton, Sheraton or Westin on Disney property so we could compare room rates vs amenities...
Oh but there is a Hilton, at Disney Springs. It's been there for many years as part of the Downtown Disney complex. I think people here are overlooking the fact that the area in and around WDW is awash with thousands of room rental properties. Accommodations are always available and the competition is so great that heavy discounts are the norm rather than the exception. I have never paid rack rate for a room in my life at Disney or any of the surrounding resorts. Deep room discounts are ubiquitous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom