News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If Disney wants to start charging what the Swolphin charges for the deluxes ($200s much of the year) then yeah, they can charge extra fees.

The last DVC sales pitch we attended quoted a standard room at the Poly coming in around $525/night. They used that to compare with the $29/night price when it opened in 1971. :jawdrop:

Kingtut

Why are you crying about $30 on vacation? if you're worried about how much parking is or the valet, you should just stay at home and whine about how much AT&T, Apple, and your TV/internet provider are nickel and diming you (way worse than Disney, BTW).

You guys must not be shareholders or work in a for profit company. EVERY company tries to make money from its customers. But guess what else they do? Provide a service that you want. Stop buying it and they'll change. Until then, this is just business....all business.

You are correct that every company tries to make money from it's customers - but most of them do not want to alienate previous customers in the process. What I see here is that we have previously happy customers that have become disenchanted with the current direction of the company. Losing your current customers is one of the first signs of a business in decline. Now while Disney Corporation is a huge multi- faceted creature - the specific division running the Florida theme parks has managed to drive away many customers. For whatever reason they have decided that the current size/scope of WDW is all that they want to support. I believe this because of the Next Gen project which (supposedly) allows them to track every guest and extract the maximum amount of money from them. Also the redesign of DHS which after all is said and done does not add much if any in the way of capacity to eat guests. If overcrowding was the main reason guests were telling them that they were not enjoying their visits - a normal response would be to increase capacity, either locally or somewhere else. Disney knows where it's guests come from and where it could potentially add a new theme park site profitably ( if they had the corporate desire to do so). So we have a situation where management is looking only at ways to get more money from guests without providing anything additional to them. Some say - so what ? "The parks are filled, ignoring your previous customers is OK as long as new ones keep coming. " An endless supply of new well heeled customers is not guaranteed forever. When that flow dries up or interrupted what will management do? Giving out more FP's for rides that don't have lines does not get you anything.

I don't usually rant like this but the people here care about what WDW was and don't want to lose it. Just telling them to stay home is neither informative or constructive. As it is AT&T did cross my line and I am no longer a customer ( probably never to return) , my FIOS service has been cut to the minimum and I have found other ways to amuse myself other than 500 channels without anything to watch, and my insurance company has just lost me forever as well. How much do you think it will cost them to replace me? More that they tried to make when it drove me away for sure.

For everyone else - I like the pink font

Pleakley

The last DVC sales pitch we attended quoted a standard room at the Poly coming in around $525/night. They used that to compare with the $29/night price when it opened in 1971. :jawdrop:

And sadly the last few times I have looked that has been the price with their faux "discount".

larandtra

I think youll find that most peoples response to those who endlessly complain about EVERYTHING Disney does is more frustration and tired of knee jerk reactions. I recall all of the whining about FPs, well that has worked out just fine, then Magic bands..also worked out fine, about the name change and Disney Springs ideas..also worked out fine. Some things are going to set people the wrong way just because of nostalgia and most people are averse to change. But those same people who were whining then, are the same ones whining now. They NEVER give credit when Disney does it right or they find they were wrong in their opinion. They just continue to whine. Noone here believes the company is absolutely perfect. If they do they are indeed living in fantasyland. I believe there have been a LOT of mistakes and missteps. But I recall people despised Eisner ( rightfully so) then they disliked this person or that person. Thats life when you run a company. Not everyone is going to like you. When you inherit a mess, its hard to dig it out and you grasp for straws sometimes. Overall, I think they will get things right, but, when you are not privy to the internal convos and meetings, have never sat in that seat, and just whine all the time based on guesses and tin foil theories, it gets to be rather tiring. Meaningful discussion is great, but however either side wants to portray it, Disney is NOT all roses and its NOT all coal either. Pick your battles and discuss things with facts, not assumptions.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I think youll find that most peoples response to those who endlessly complain about EVERYTHING Disney does is more frustration and tired of knee jerk reactions. I recall all of the whining about FPs, well that has worked out just fine, then Magic bands..also worked out fine, about the name change and Disney Springs ideas..also worked out fine. Some things are going to set people the wrong way just because of nostalgia and most people are averse to change. But those same people who were whining then, are the same ones whining now. They NEVER give credit when Disney does it right or they find they were wrong in their opinion. They just continue to whine. Noone here believes the company is absolutely perfect. If they do they are indeed living in fantasyland. I believe there have been a LOT of mistakes and missteps. But I recall people despised Eisner ( rightfully so) then they disliked this person or that person. Thats life when you run a company. Not everyone is going to like you. When you inherit a mess, its hard to dig it out and you grasp for straws sometimes. Overall, I think they will get things right, but, when you are not privy to the internal convos and meetings, have never sat in that seat, and just whine all the time based on guesses and tin foil theories, it gets to be rather tiring. Meaningful discussion is great, but however either side wants to portray it, Disney is NOT all roses and its NOT all coal either. Pick your battles and discuss things with facts, not assumptions.
Or, they're not. But, blanket assumptions are easy....

contrariwise

I recall all of the whining about FPs, well that has worked out just fine, then Magic bands..also worked out fine, about the name change and Disney Springs ideas..also worked out fine.

Not everyone agrees all of these things "worked out fine". More to the point though, not everyone agrees that all of these things, even if they did "work out fine" (which I'm not conceding), were worth the price paid. And I personally don't think someone voicing their displeasure with something is "whining". If it is, then you are "whining" about people "whining".

Chef Mickey

You are correct that every company tries to make money from it's customers - but most of them do not want to alienate previous customers in the process. What I see here is that we have previously happy customers that have become disenchanted with the current direction of the company. Losing your current customers is one of the first signs of a business in decline. Now while Disney Corporation is a huge multi- faceted creature - the specific division running the Florida theme parks has managed to drive away many customers. For whatever reason they have decided that the current size/scope of WDW is all that they want to support. I believe this because of the Next Gen project which (supposedly) allows them to track every guest and extract the maximum amount of money from them. Also the redesign of DHS which after all is said and done does not add much if any in the way of capacity to eat guests. If overcrowding was the main reason guests were telling them that they were not enjoying their visits - a normal response would be to increase capacity, either locally or somewhere else. Disney knows where it's guests come from and where it could potentially add a new theme park site profitably ( if they had the corporate desire to do so). So we have a situation where management is looking only at ways to get more money from guests without providing anything additional to them. Some say - so what ? "The parks are filled, ignoring your previous customers is OK as long as new ones keep coming. " An endless supply of new well heeled customers is not guaranteed forever. When that flow dries up or interrupted what will management do? Giving out more FP's for rides that don't have lines does not get you anything.

I don't usually rant like this but the people here care about what WDW was and don't want to lose it. Just telling them to stay home is neither informative or constructive. As it is AT&T did cross my line and I am no longer a customer ( probably never to return) , my FIOS service has been cut to the minimum and I have found other ways to amuse myself other than 500 channels without anything to watch, and my insurance company has just lost me forever as well. How much do you think it will cost them to replace me? More that they tried to make when it drove me away for sure.

For everyone else - I like the pink font
They aren't alienating their customers, as a general rule. They are getting some new ones and perhaps losing some old ones. Overall, attendance continues to rise. They are not failing.

You're thinking about this too narrowly. Disney is unique in that you spend several thousand if not $10,000 on a single trip. When you're getting ripped off with AT&T, Verizon, or your energy provider, you don't pay as much attention because it's a slow, monthly bleed (the way they like it). Disney is much more visible and a much greater one time expenditure where most of the proceeds do go to Disney, but you might not spend money with them for another year or several.

Disney's management is excellent and universally respected in not just the entertainment industry, but in business in general. They have problems. They have made mistakes at WDW in particular, but the future is still bright...for the company and for us.

I believe I care about WDW more than you or anyone you know. I know it's hard to measure, but I've been 60+ times in my lifetime and some of my best memories are at those very parks. I actually love Disney World. Love, not like. I hate some of the things that have happened, but my love for the parks reminds me that the story isn't ever completely written. They can fix mistakes and still provide among the greatest entertainment and family experiences money can buy today.

21stamps

The same reason Disney can charge Ritz Carlton prices for less than Hampton Inn service. These people never travel anywhere else.

I have a friend who is a "Trekkie" said people would buy stuff at a Star Trek convention at 3x the retail price (not talking about HTF stuff) rather than set foot in a retail store
I think it's the opposite. People who travel realize that you will pay more for location. It's that simple. Disney charges what they do for resorts because of their amenities and proximity to the parks..the transportation you receive etc.
They aren't 5 star, they don't need to be 5 star. Look at how much 5 star accommodations do cost..especially elsewhere in Florida. Total cost, not just the room. You'd also be hard pressed to find any of them offering a 30% discount off the price of the room.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^

(I don't think I've ever done a 'THIS' w/ arrows before)...

Is there anybody here that was NEVER a happy customer at one point?

I think a lot of people here have been unhappy for two decades or so...just saying...

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

RobbinsDad

I love Disney World. I also love the Miami Dolphins. Doesn't mean I'm going to happy about every decision they make. Especially when neither has been their best for decades.

Grimley1968

I'm still a happy customer, but I don't like where they've been heading lately and am happy to share the discussion with like-minded people on an entertaining forum.
That captures my feeling, though I'm probably a little further down the road to unhappiness with WDW (DL is still great IMO). Discussing these issues, the reasons for them, and hopefully even potential solutions to them does not make anyone a "whiner."

rael ramone

I think it's the opposite. People who travel realize that you will pay more for location. It's that simple. Disney charges what they do for resorts because of their amenities and proximity to the parks..the transportation you receive etc.

Which is why it's a mistake, from a business perspective, to separate out the amenities, transportation (which is correlated with proximity) as a resort fee. It just puts a microscope over how the base room lacks compared to others at that price point. $DIS shouldn't want people to see how the haggis is made.

21stamps

Which is why it's a mistake, from a business perspective, to separate out the amenities, transportation (which is correlated with proximity) as a resort fee. It just puts a microscope over how the base room lacks compared to others at that price point. $DIS shouldn't want people to see how the haggis is made.
My thing- other Orlando hotels at that price point do not provide a monorail or view of Cinderella's castle.lol. I'm in no way shape or form saying I like their prices, but there are plenty of other overpriced rooms in Florida...without that nostalgic "Magic" view and proximity to MK. Disney hotels are theme park hotels.. I don't want them to become 5 star.
I'm in complete agreement with you over the resort fee being a mistake.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
For those saying new parking/resort fees would be the last straw to either not going or staying off-site be honest, you will continue to go and stay on-site.

Your addicts. Disney is your passion. You cannot live without it, period.

How do I know this? Your posting on a Disney Fan website.

Quitting any addiction is hard if not impossible for some. So stop all the emotional responses to this rumor. Suck it up and admit at the end of the day, you are going back and you are staying on-site. You'll feel much better when YOU realize you have an addiction.
Or, they're not, and they very well may not return. But that's probably not high on your list of troglodytic prattle....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom