News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

Tom P.

Yes. This.

The option shouldn’t be, keep your mouth shut and pay. Or. Don’t visit at all and Disney goes the way of Action Park.

Listen. We know. You’ve posted some variation of this exact post about 5000x. Let me just try and convey this to you one more time. No one here cares about Cedar Point. Stop posting about Cedar Point.
In discussing Disney pricing, I care about what other amusement and theme park providers are doing. I think it is relevant to the pricing discussion. So stop painting with a broad brush and saying "no one here" cares. You're wrong.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
In discussing Disney pricing, I care about what other amusement and theme park providers are doing. I think it is relevant to the pricing discussion. So stop painting with a broad brush and saying "no one here" cares. You're wrong.
Then go post in the Cedar Park forums. I obviously don’t presume to speak for the entire forum. What I do know is, most of us realize this is a Walt Disney World forum. So we want to discuss Walt Disney World.

wannabeBelle

I think the experience is different though. I live within an hour or two drive to a few major theme parks. I like coasters and other thrill rides and can tell you I haven't been there in years. Conversely, I have gone to Disney and didn't go on any rides for the first few days of one trip, and it isn't the main focus for most of my trips. I would tend to think that the pricing of a hamburger would be similar, but the difference is that I am flying to Florida, staying in a resort and purchasing all my meals at Disney. If I went to Six Flags I could just hop in my car and head home. In that sense it is different and the associated cost would be different too. Disney has always been in a class by themselves and didn't need to follow the industry standards as they were the innovator everyone else was looking to follow. If you are bringing that experience down to match "industry standard" that is not a good idea. Marie

Tom P.

Then go post in the Cedar Park forums. I obviously don’t presume to speak for the entire forum. What I do know is, most of us realize this is a Walt Disney World forum. So we want to discuss Walt Disney World.
But you did presume to speak for the entire forum. You said that no one here cares. And you are still telling myself, and other posters, to go post somewhere else because it is not what "we" want to discuss.

And we are discussing Walt Disney World. Part of that discussion is how what other companies do impacts upon Walt Disney World. No one here is discussing Cedar Fair's operation as a standalone subject. It is being discussed in the context of Walt Disney World.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
But you did presume to speak for the entire forum. You said that no one here cares. And you are still telling myself, and other posters, to go post somewhere else because it is not what "we" want to discuss.

And we are discussing Walt Disney World. Part of that discussion is how what other companies do impacts upon Walt Disney World. No one here is discussing Cedar Fair's operation as a standalone subject. It is being discussed in the context of Walt Disney World.
It has zero impact on WDW. That’s the point.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
That is your opinion. I, and others here, happen to think that you are wrong. Regardless, you don't get to decide what aspects of a conversation are and are not allowed here.
Ok, Tom. You’re right. Cedar Points pricing structure impacts WDW. So stupid I am to believe otherwise.

LSLS

There is no comparison to Disney when it comes to theme, there is comparison when you look at pricing in the family entertainment (and almost all entertainment) industry. I’m staying at a Cedar Point hotel in June, 3 nights.. it’s @ $400 per night, much smaller than Disney rooms .. my dining options are TGIFridays and similar.. qs food is more at CP, and I’m talking overpriced Chik fil a etc, costs more than Disney QS, but not half as good.. I won’t have all kinds of “included activities” at different CP hotels, or even mine, and I won’t have free mini golf coupons etc..oh, and my Fast Lane passes are an additional $800orso dollars, admission not included in that figure. That is what parks are becoming, because the amusement park industry is in demand right now.. especially Disney most of all.

You have to realize that demand and pricing are completely related.. one determines the other. No one is forcing you to stay 7 days at Disney, that’s your choice, and you’re not the only one choosing it, which is why prices will continue to rise.

I’ll add, I don’t know what “goal posts” you’re talking about.. is Disney more expensive than years past? Yes, as stated in my previous posts. However- are most (in demand) parks much more expensive than years past? Yep. Are Disney World tickets still a good value of entertainment comparatively? Yes.

Wait wait wait. What are your comparisons? I see a cottage on the lake for a June weekend at Cedar Point for $327/night, and those are significantly larger than Disney hotel rooms. Even the high end hotel starts under $300 a night and goes up to almost $400 if you go concierge (so compare something like GF concierge if you are going equal).

Also, if you pay the same for food at both places, you are doing it wrong. You can pay $32 and get food every 90 minutes from pretty much every restaurant in the park (Quick service or sit down). I will also say it is absolutely not more expensive for QS at Cedar Point. Some things are close (Cheesburger at Cedar Point is like $1 less). Buritto bowls are $2-4 less depending on the type you get. And those are just the first 2 things I looked up (sorry, not going that much into it). But that idea is simply not true.

I've also never bought the fast pass option at Cedar Point and I have made it to nearly every ride in a single day (let alone if I'm there for multiple days). But if you want to make that comparison, Cedar Point is for every ride, so the closest you can come at Disney would be to include getting the extra 3 fast passes at concierge which cost what, $50 more? But back to price. I can book Memorial Day weekend (Sat/Sunday), and get tickets and a hotel room (admittedly the lowest level, something along the lines of All Stars minus themeing) for 3 people for $769. For a non-park hopper at Disney, it would cost $897 for just the tickets.

I feel like I'm turning this into a pro-Cedar Point post, but one more thing worth pointing out that I am taking directly from their website:
  • Complimentary parking with full in/out privileges

Tom P.

Ok, Tom. You’re right. Cedar Points pricing structure impacts WDW. So stupid I am to believe otherwise.
I never called you stupid. I never implied you were stupid. I am not perfect, and I have lost my temper here a time or two, but I try not to attack other posters personally.

My point was that you seemed to be attempting to completely shut down one aspect of the conversation that was taking place, as it if it was somehow inappropriate of people here to be having that discussion. I haven't reviewed the forum rules in detail lately, but I don't see anything here that is out of line or against the rules.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Wait wait wait. What are your comparisons? I see a cottage on the lake for a June weekend at Cedar Point for $327/night, and those are significantly larger than Disney hotel rooms. Even the high end hotel starts under $300 a night and goes up to almost $400 if you go concierge (so compare something like GF concierge if you are going equal).

Also, if you pay the same for food at both places, you are doing it wrong. You can pay $32 and get food every 90 minutes from pretty much every restaurant in the park (Quick service or sit down). I will also say it is absolutely not more expensive for QS at Cedar Point. Some things are close (Cheesburger at Cedar Point is like $1 less). Buritto bowls are $2-4 less depending on the type you get. And those are just the first 2 things I looked up (sorry, not going that much into it). But that idea is simply not true.

I've also never bought the fast pass option at Cedar Point and I have made it to nearly every ride in a single day (let alone if I'm there for multiple days). But if you want to make that comparison, Cedar Point is for every ride, so the closest you can come at Disney would be to include getting the extra 3 fast passes at concierge which cost what, $50 more? But back to price. I can book Memorial Day weekend (Sat/Sunday), and get tickets and a hotel room (admittedly the lowest level, something along the lines of All Stars minus themeing) for 3 people for $769. For a non-park hopper at Disney, it would cost $897 for just the tickets.

I feel like I'm turning this into a pro-Cedar Point post, but one more thing worth pointing out that I am taking directly from their website:
It’s almost like....like...they aren’t the same at all.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I never called you stupid. I never implied you were stupid. I am not perfect, and I have lost my temper here a time or two, but I try not to attack other posters personally.

My point was that you seemed to be attempting to completely shut down one aspect of the conversation that was taking place, as it if it was somehow inappropriate of people here to be having that discussion. I haven't reviewed the forum rules in detail lately, but I don't see anything here that is out of line or against the rules.
Shut down one poster. Who has posted the same thing literally thousands of times in the past year. Thousands.

Tom P.

Shut down one poster. Who has posted the same thing literally thousands of times in the past year. Thousands.
First off, you told me "Then go post in the Cedar Park forums" when I brought the subject up. Second, the Ignore function is there for a reason. If you think a particular poster is being tedious and contributing nothing to the conversation, you can Ignore them and never see their posts again. I don't understand why it is necessary to attempt to get them to leave the thread when no one else is complaining and, in fact, other posters are engaging in the same line of discussion.

Look, I don't want to derail his thread too far. So I'll quit belaboring the point. I just think that as long as a poster is following the forum rules and the mods have no problem with the conversation taking place, that they should be able to add whatever they wish to the discussion.

John park hopper

Nothing is complimentary. Breakfast is figured in with the room rate. Knowing people that work in the industry, I can tell you that hotels calculate what the cost is on average for each guests breakfast and its built in to the rate. Down to the French vanilla coffee creamer.
That may be true but the room rates are considerable less than what Disney charges. If Disney is going to use the well everyone else charges for parking then maybe they should say everyone else includes a complimentay breakfast in their room charge -- we will also. Until told otherwise I am sure they have calcualted and added parking fees for years.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
That may be true but the room rates are considerable less than what Disney charges. If Disney is going to use the well everyone else charges for parking then maybe they should say everyone else includes a complimentay breakfast in their room charge -- we will also. Until told otherwise I am sure they have calcualted and added parking fees for years.
I've stayed at the 'premier' resort hotel, The Breakers, and I have to say -- it was a lot like a hospital room.

Thankfully, neither they nor Disney charge what a hospital would charge...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So, in essence, Disney is simply raising the price of all resort rooms by whatever the parking rate at a particular resort is, because that previously-included parking fee is no longer included in the price of the room, and those who park a vehicle overnight now pay even more.

21stamps

I think the experience is different though. I live within an hour or two drive to a few major theme parks. I like coasters and other thrill rides and can tell you I haven't been there in years. Conversely, I have gone to Disney and didn't go on any rides for the first few days of one trip, and it isn't the main focus for most of my trips. I would tend to think that the pricing of a hamburger would be similar, but the difference is that I am flying to Florida, staying in a resort and purchasing all my meals at Disney. If I went to Six Flags I could just hop in my car and head home. In that sense it is different and the associated cost would be different too. Disney has always been in a class by themselves and didn't need to follow the industry standards as they were the innovator everyone else was looking to follow. If you are bringing that experience down to match "industry standard" that is not a good idea. Marie

They are different experiences under the same umbrella— a theme park, and an amusement park. I’m comparing the top rated in each category.. but they share many similarities, they both fall under family amusement park entertainment as well. Cedar Point is a resort destination, I’m way too far to just drive for the day.. so are a lot of other people, which is why they have multiple hotels. Disney should cost more because of their themes and the experience, and all of the extras that you don’t get at CP.
However, their pricing isn’t as worlds apart as people think.. and there’s no way that Disney would price themselves less than or the same as an amusement park. It wouldn’t make any sense.

I am not staying concierge. I’m staying in a room with 2 queen beds and a balcony, which is exactly what you get at Disney deluxe hotels.. I think the room I’m staying in is 300something sq ft, smaller than some Disney Deluxe, on par with some other Deluxe.
I’m glad you have been able to ride everything at CP on a weekend. I’ve never had that experience, and don’t know many who have. Even with FL I’ve waited 20-25minutes for the popular coasters. Disney gives 3 fast passes per day up front.. once you use those 3, then you can continue to add more.. in my last 3 trips, outside of MVMCP, I’ve used a FP for pretty much every attraction that we’ve done. It’s an unlimited supply..just formatted differently and you may not get to do one ride in each park if not willing to wait 90+ minutes. We waited over 3 hours for a new attraction at a Cedar Fair Park last year, I won’t ever do that again.
Food prices- I can get a fast food meal for $15 at CP or I can get a Shawarma platter at Epcot for the same price.. I know which one I consider a better value.

Have you ever used the “all day dining” that you’re referring to? It doesn’t include drinks, or snacks.. and sorry but I love my $13 funnel cakes too much to skip one. If you eat every 90 minutes- I’m impressed! I’ve never ate more than 2 meals at a park, added to the snacks that we purchase, so the “all day dining” at $34.15 is useless to me.

If you read my posts, I’m not saying that CP is the same as Disney.. I’m saying that it’s not as drastic as some pretend.. and when you add the “included” items at Disney, and the “extras” at CP.. the Disney pricing makes sense.

Look at Universal if you want.. Yesterday I priced a 3 night stay at Hard Rock for the end of August.. it’s more expensive than any of the Disney Deluxe resort prices that I mentioned above.. and they don’t pick me up from the airport- Disney does.. they definitely don’t give me free parking if I drive, which now Disney does too. .

Again, Disney is not in another world.. it’s in this one, and prices are understandable when you really compare.

Last edited:

21stamps

How is around $400 per night considerably less than around $400 per night?
(edit)— Ok I looked at my receipt.. $370 per night vs $387 at YC. YC is world’s above Hotel Breakers, the $17 is definitely worth the difference.

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

Those places also dont have the most popular theme parks in the world attached/associated to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom