WDW Resort Stay Only? (no theme parks)

noname70

In order to fight a small case of theme park burnout my wife and I are considering simply spending the entire trip at the resort (WL, Poly or Contemp).
Has anyone else tried this sort of thing? We thought we'd actually try and enjoy the resort rather than rush from morning to night thru the parks. Maybe spend more time in Dowtown Disn, by the pool, etc...

Please give me your feedback!:veryconfu

TURKEY

I'd definitely recommend AKL for doing something like this.

Others I would consider are the Polynesian (2nd), GF, and WL. I don't think the Contemporary would provide enough options for a resort only stay.

Upvote 0

kennyj29

Thats an interesting idea

We love the Poly but Wilderness Lodge is beautiful also. Maybe the Beach Club would be nice also. Nearer to Downtown Disney and quite beautiful.

Upvote 0

wwoc

We've done this before when in town for a convention. It is great when you consider that you can still use transportation to visit the other resorts, try new restaurants and just explore at your leisure.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

I think Y&B would be a great place for this. The pool is the best, Board Walk is close by, also Mini Golf and I hear the restants at S&D are good too. Also keep in mind you can "hop" to other resorts and enjoy the restants and theming also. You can even enjoy some of the fire works from Epoct.

We also consider doing this, but end up at the parks, it is like they are calling you. (also if the weather isn't great it actually is more fun to go to MK then hang out in the rain at the resort.)

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

Originally posted by noname70
Has anyone else tried this sort of thing? We thought we'd actually try and enjoy the resort rather than rush from morning to night thru the parks. Maybe spend more time in Dowtown Disn, by the pool, etc...

Please give me your feedback!:veryconfu

We did this at the GF once for 4 days. It was a wonderful, peaceful, relaxing trip. Now, we did fudge and go to Epcot one day, but took it easy there and just slowly explored the park, did not even take a camera. Relaxing by the pool during the middle of the day when everyone else is at the parks is a good way to de-stress. Another thing we did on that trip besides Downtown, was to visit other resorts. Went to WL for breakfast at Whispering Canyon, strolled through the Contemporary, Poly, and AKL. This was in the off-season when things were a lot less busy then summer, and it was fun trying different resturants at the different resorts.

Have a good trip,
Ricky

Upvote 0

wdwhoneymooner

I tip my hat to all of you who can actually stay on site and not step one foot in the Parks. The immense will power is commendable. I don't think I could do this just yet. It's like that last piece of cake sitting in the fridge: If I see it, I really want it. :D

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

I thought of an other idea if you want the Disney Magic, but need a break from the theme parks and line, try Vero Beach for part of your stay.

We are DVC members and have not tried it yet, but have heard good things about it. Non DVC members can also stay there, (with out renting points, but you can if you want.) They have a number of activities and things to do there along with a great pool, kiddy pool and play area and mini golf. (Oh and the Ocean too.)

But I have always thought there was more then enough to keep you busy just enjoying the WDW resorts. I am with honeymooner, the parks just call me in!

Upvote 0

s25843

Originally posted by DisneyPhD
I thought of an other idea if you want the Disney Magic, but need a break from the theme parks and line, try Vero Beach for part of your stay.

We are DVC members and have not tried it yet, but have heard good things about it. Non DVC members can also stay there, (with out renting points, but you can if you want.) They have a number of activities and things to do there along with a great pool, kiddy pool and play area and mini golf. (Oh and the Ocean too.)

But I have always thought there was more then enough to keep you busy just enjoying the WDW resorts. I am with honeymooner, the parks just call me in!

Vero is Awesome, its relaxing, if you stay there just be sure to Request an Ocean View room, we kept the door to the balcony open all night just to listen to the ocean

Upvote 0

DDuckFan130

ok, last july (2002) we stayed at the all star music for a few days and did not step one foot in the parks...the reason is very simple...we had the florida resident seasonal passes and those dates were blocked out :lol: so we couldn't go to the parks...anyway we were there for something else and when we were free we went to DTD and hung out there or we hung around at the hotel...my mom wants to do it again..she just wants to go shopping she doesn't care about the parks :lol:

Upvote 0

uncle al

DDuckFan: We did exactly the same thing for the same reason this past July (we stayed at AKL). And we also did it in July 2001 (that time we stayed at BC).

We enjoyed AKL but we are a BC family and our stay there with (or without) the parks is always better. We enjoy the pool and close proximity to the Boardwalk at BC. On our visits when we haven't been to the parks, my son & I usually schedule a round of golf (or two if we can get away with it), my wife & daughter will have lunch & do some shopping. This past trip they did High Tea at GF which they thoroughly enjoyed. We usually have a nice dinner on each of the nights on those trips as well. As the old commercial used to say: "Try it - you'll like it!!!!"

Upvote 0

wdwswan&dolphin

If you are interested, here is a list of recreational activities at the Disney Deluxe Resort Hotels, courtesy of www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com:
Disney's Wilderness Lodge & Villas: Silver Creek Springs Pool, Daily Afternoon Recreational Water Activities, Water Slide, Two Spas (One Hot And One Cool), Beach For Sunbathing Beside Bay Lake, Marina With Boat Rentals, Fireworks Cruise, Bicycle Rentals, Fishing Excursions, Volleyball, Jogging And Walking Trails, Hidden Mickey Scavenger Hunt In Lobby, Video Arcade, Iron Spike Room Railroad Exhibit, Nightly Electrical Water Pageant On Bay Lake.
Walt Disney World Swan & Dolphin: Three Acre Grotto Pool, White Sand Beach For Sunbathing, Water Slide, Beach Volleyball, Hammocks, Ping Pong, Two Lap Pools, Spring Pool, Four Whirlpool Hot Tubs, Marina With Boat Rentals, 2 Health Clubs, Jogging And Walking Trails, Four Lighted Tennis Courts, Basketball Court, Two Video Arcades, Fantasia Gardens & Fantasia Fairways Miniature Golf Courses, Resort Guided Tours, Coin-Operated Billiards.
Disney's Polynesian Resort: Two Pools, Water Slides, Video Arcade, White Sand Beach For Sunbathing Beside Seven Seas Lagoon, Beach Volleyball, Surrey Bike Rentals, Marina With Boat Rentals And Watersports, Fireworks Cruise, Nightly Electrical Water Pageant On Seven Seas Lagoon.
Disney's Yacht & Beach Club & Beach Club Villas Resorts: Three Acre Swimming Pool Complex Stormalong Bay, Waterslide, Several Spas, Quiet Pools, White Sand Beach For Sunbathing Beside Crescent Lake, Marina With Boat Rentals, Fireworks Cruise, Fishing Excursions, Health Club, Jogging And Walking Trails, Two Lighted Tennis Courts, Beach Volleyball, Lawn Bowling, Croquet, Video Arcade, Landscaping Tours Monday And Wednesday And Friday At 8:30 A.M. And 12:30 P.M.
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa: Courtyard Swimming Pool, Spa, White Sand Beach For Sunbathing Beside Seven Seas Lagoon, Marina With Boat Rentals And Watersports, Fireworks Cruises, Two Lighted Clay Tennis Courts, Jogging, Volleyball, Croquet, Video Arcade, Grand Floridian Resort Spa & Health Club, Video Rentals From Guest Services, Nightly Electrical Water Pageant On Seven Seas Lagoon.
Disney's Boardwalk Inn & Villas: Luna Park Swimming Complex, Waterslide, Jacuzzi, Two Quiet Pools, Health Club, Two Lit Surfaced Tennis Courts, Surrey Bike Rentals, Badminton, Croquet, Ping Pong, Jogging And Walking Trails, Bicycle Rentals, Community Hall Book & Video Rentals, Video Arcade, Fishing Excursions, Nightly Entertainment On The Boardwalk
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge: Swimming Pool, Two Jacuzzis, Fitness Center, Viewing Of Savannah Animals.
Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa: Swimming Pool, Waterslide, Two Whirlpools, Quiet Pool With Whirlpool, Tennis Courts, Bicycle Rentals, Video Arcade, Full-Service Spa And Fitness Facility, Pleasure Island Nightly Fireworks Lakeside Viewing Plaza.
Disney's Old Key West Resort: Swimming Pool, Sauna, Hot Tub, Three Smaller Pools Spread Throughout Resort, White Sand Beach For Sunbathing Along Trumbo Canal, Volleyball Court, Marina With Boat Rentals, Jogging And Walking Trails, Bicycle And Surrey Bike Rentals, Basketball, Shuffleboard, Two Video Arcades, Fitness Center, Three Tennis Courts, Video Rentals, Board Games, Playing Cards, Table Tennis, Daily Activities.
Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground: Large Main Pool, Small Pool, Horseback Riding, Hay Rides, Fishing Excursions In Canals Or Bay Lake, Bicycle Rentals, Jogging And Walking Trails, Beach Volleyball, Basketball, Shuffleboard, Horseshoes, Tetherball, Nature Walk Along Swamp Trail, Marina With Boat Rentals And Watersports, Two Video Arcades, Two Tennis Courts, Nightly Electrical Water Pageant On Bay Lake.
Disney's Contemporary Resort: Two Pools, Two Spas, White Sand Beach For Sunbathing Beside Bay Lake, Marina With Boat Rentals And Watersports, Six Clay Tennis Courts, Fitness Center, Beach Volleyball, Basketball, Shuffleboard, Billiards, Video Arcade, Nightly Electrical Water Pageant On Bay Lake.

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

We really like POR as a place to just relax when we go and are not hitting the parks. It may seem crazy to some, but the strolls through the grounds are so cool and walking along the river is very relaxing. The pools are good, the food is good, and the rooms are very comfortable.

Upvote 0

TRITON4ME

Account Suspended
:cry: ! I couldn't imagine not going to the parks if I go to WDW!:veryconfu I mean that's like going to a steakhouse (like Outback) and ordering a salad. Anyway, I'd recommend the Y&B Club. It is in a perfect location with a ton of amenities.

Upvote 0

Feta

I used to just have a Florida resident seasonal pass. I still used to enjoy going down in the summer, even though we weren't "allowed" in the parks. There was something nice about being able to enjoy the activities around WDW outside the parks - and not feel like I was missing out by not being at the parks.
Go to the water parks
Go play mini-golf at Fantasia Gardens or Winter Summerland
Go see La Nouba
Go waste away the hours at Disney Quest
Discover a new restaurant at one the resorts
Just hang out by the pool
Take your time strolling thru the shops Downtown
Pleasure Island!!!!!
Cruise around Seven Seas Lagoon on one of those little motor boats

ENJOY

Upvote 0

DDuckFan130

Feta said:
I used to just have a Florida resident seasonal pass. I still used to enjoy going down in the summer, even though we weren't "allowed" in the parks. There was something nice about being able to enjoy the activities around WDW outside the parks - and not feel like I was missing out by not being at the parks.
Go to the water parks
Go play mini-golf at Fantasia Gardens or Winter Summerland
Go see La Nouba
Go waste away the hours at Disney Quest
Discover a new restaurant at one the resorts
Just hang out by the pool
Take your time strolling thru the shops Downtown
Pleasure Island!!!!!
Cruise around Seven Seas Lagoon on one of those little motor boats

ENJOY
Ah, beat me to it :lol:.

That's why when we went on July 2002 for the *NSYNC basketball game, we didn't go to the parks because we were blocked off...was no biggie for us. We slept in later, used the pools more, used the arcade more, and went to DTD.

Upvote 0

Trishnh

My 9 y/o daughter & I did this last summer. It was great!!! It was pretty funny seeing guests return from a day at the parks all exhausted and we felt great because we spent the day by the pool! We stayed at Caribbean Beach and enjoyed the resort, did a little resort hopping, went to DTD and saw Cirque Du Soliel. I would definitely do it again. So many times you never get to relax and enjoy the hotel because you are always on the go, and then you need a vacation from your vacation when you get home!!

I also think that AK lodge would be an awesome place to do this.

Upvote 0

DigitalDisney

I've consdered doing the exact same thing, and may still very well do it in the spring.

Thanks to resort transportation, it's easy to get anywhere in WDW. Even if you don't go in the parks, you can still enjoy some of the fireworks and nighttime entertainment as well. Some of the resorts have the best theming you'll find in all of WDW, so it's an easy way to get your fix. You can easily spend hours relaxing at the Boardwalk, Polynesian, or Wilderness Lodge, exploring and soaking up the ambience.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom