WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

donsullivan

Premium Member
What I don't understand is why does the mayor expect Disney to submit plans? They need to just stay closed.
The agreed protocol in the state of FL for major facilities like WDW includes submitting a re-opening plan to be reviewed and approved by local (city/county) government and then sent up to the governors office for approval. Disney knows and understand these protocols, they just weren't ready to submit their plan yet.

And actually they do not need to stay closed, they need to re-open as soon as they can do so safely.

There are tens of thousand of people (probably over 100 thousand) out of work in Central Florida as a direct result of Walt Disney World being closed. And until they re-open, all those people will continue to be out of work. And since Florida's already horrible unemployment system only provides for 12 weeks of payments, many of those furloughed or release in mid March will run out of benefits soon and have nothing. It's not okay to just flippantly say they should just stay closed.

Getachew

Actually they do not need to stay closed, they need to re-open as soon as they can do so safely.

There are tens of thousand of people (probably over 100 thousand) out of work in Central Florida as a direct result of Walt Disney World being closed. And until they re-open, all those people will continue to be out of work. And since Florida's already horrible unemployment system only provides for 12 weeks of payments, many of those furloughed or release in mid March will run out of benefits soon and have nothing. It's not okay to just flippantly say they should just stay closed.

in fairness, Disney did pay them all until April 18th.

donsullivan

Premium Member
in fairness, Disney did pay them all until April 18th.
I'm not just talking about those employed by WDW. There are tens of thousand of other jobs in the area that are directly impacted by Disney not being open. And all of those jobs went away in March when the parks closed and all those people will exhaust their benefits very soon. And for everyone, the extra $600 goes away on July 25th.

Getachew

I'm not just talking about those employed by WDW. There are tens of thousand of other jobs in the area that are directly impacted by Disney not being open. And all of those jobs went away in March when the parks closed and all those people will exhaust their benefits very soon. And for everyone, the extra $600 goes away on July 25th.

So you want them to open due to pressure?

disney4life2008

The agreed protocol in the state of FL for major facilities like WDW includes submitting a re-opening plan to be reviewed and approved by local (city/county) government and then sent up to the governors office for approval. Disney knows and understand these protocols, they just weren't ready to submit their plan yet.

And actually they do not need to stay closed, they need to re-open as soon as they can do so safely.

I know cast members who are cashing in. Can't say they all struggling. So I disagree.

disney4life2008

That's my thought. Disney seems to want to stay closed. The whole Disney was sidelined by Universal is garbage. As much clout as both companies have and knowing they have political insiders in the government or even moles further complicates the sideline. Disney should stay closed, period.

Getachew

That's my thought. Disney seems to want to stay closed. The whole Disney was sidelined by Universal is garbage. As much clout as both companies have and knowing they have political insiders in the government or even moles further complicates the sideline. Disney should stay closed, period.

we’ll see now. Things are changing so much even the insiders look to be out of the loop in that regard. Maybe WDW opens at least one park sooner cause of UO. We’ll find out soon enough I guess.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I want people to be realistic and understand the epic economic impact that closure is having on the area and not just flippantly say they should just stay closed because they do not want to visit if there are restrictions. Those flippant statements, if implemented would keep over 100,000 out of work and drive countless local support companies out of business permanently. I don't want to keep seeing cast members in food bank lines on the evening news while they are out of work and I don't want all those cast members thrown out of their homes because their unemployment runs out and people think the parks should just stay closed until next year because they don't want the parks open if masks are required. Nobody is required to visit if they don't like, or are uncomfortable with any restrictions put in place but that should not impact creating an opportunity for all those people to go back to work.

While the scale of WDW makes development of a complete plan much more challenging than nearly anywhere else, they do need to reopen or the central FL economy doesn’t survive and according to comments late last week, we should see that plan this week.

Last edited:

Getachew

I want people to be realistic and understand the epic economic impact that closure is having on the area and not just flippantly say they should just stay closed because they do not want to visit if there are restrictions. Those flippant statements, if implemented would keep over 100,000 out of work and drive countless local support companies out of business permanently. I don't want to keep seeing cast members in food bank lines on the evening news while they are out of work and I don't want all those cast members thrown out of their homes because their unemployment runs out and people think the parks should just stay closed until next year because they don't want the parks open if masks are required. Nobody is required to visit if they don't like, or are uncomfortable with any restrictions put in place but that should not impact creating an opportunity for all those people to go back to work.

While the scale of WDW makes development of a complete plan much more challenging than nearly anywhere else, they do need to reopen or the central FL and according to comments late last week, we should see that plan this week.

i hope WDW opens when they are ready, with no pressure from anyone. Outside pressure could lead to disasterous results.

disney4life2008

While the scale of WDW makes development of a complete plan much more challenging than nearly anywhere else, they do need to reopen or the central FL and according to comments late last week, we should see that plan this week.

When you say area, what area? The city of Orlando seems to be fine. Granted Disney is not even in Orlando. Kissimmee may be suffering but even that is questionable.

Miss Bella

Airlines, hotel workers, taxi drivers, uber/lyft drivers, restaurants, and last but not least our travel agents. I'm sure there's more.

peter11435

When you say area, what area? The city of Orlando seems to be fine. Granted Disney is not even in Orlando. Kissimmee may be suffering but even that is questionable.
An extended closure will have disastrous effects on the entire central Florida region with knock down effects on many non tourism related businesses. The only reason the city of Orlando and the greater central Florida area seems fine so far is because unemployment and the federal extension has not yet run out.

disney4life2008

An extended closure will have disastrous effects on the entire central Florida region with knock down effects on many non tourism related businesses. The only reason the city of Orlando and the greater central Florida area seems fine so far is because unemployment and the federal extension has not yet run out.

Idk.

Peter Pan's Shadow

Just read an interesting story that landlords are all preparing to evict renters that are behind on rent as soon as the eviction ban is over. Sounds like there will soon be thousands of people evicted soon. Didn't connect the dots that they have no income tax in FL, it's all based on tourism. And now a lot of people that expect to be evicted say they haven't gotten even 1 unemployment check. I only bring this up as it relates to WDW and there may be pressure in this regard. Maybe not enough to force them into a bad decision, but maybe to tip the scales.

Getachew

what do you consider an extended closure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom