WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

peter11435

If the parks are closed till 2021 how would the economy in central Florida recover?
Unless there was substantial government intervention and actual support for the workforce... it wouldn’t.

And it wouldnt stop with just central Florida. The state budget for the coming years would be devastated by the lack of tourism money and related/supporting industries. Not to mention non tourism focused businesses that benefit from tourists. This is before you even account for the hundreds of thousands across the state that would remain unemployed. The money those unemployed don’t have to spend would drive even more business to failure and increase the unemployment issue.

Last edited:

HansGruber

I agree with everything except the demand part... I think there will be demand. Maybe not in the numbers that Disney can and/or are willing to open for... but I believe there will be a large demand. Take beaches for example... what a mess. There is a significant number of people who just can't stay away. I think Martin called them Harry Hoorahs or something? @marni, you should trademark that label! I can see the (sleeve-less) t-shirts now.
Right but beaches aren't an expensive vacation. There are so many variables to consider when planning a vacation.

Going to the beach, anyone can do that on a whim. Hard to ask people to pay full price for memories that will include surgical masks covering smiling faces.

Epcotbob

At some point, a big name business sector of some kind (my guess is a pro sports organization) is going to get back to it. The NFL is currently in the lead for this, in my opinion, by announcing their Fall schedule.. but with the NBA opening facilities for practice, they may jump to the front by tomorrow....
This will begin to lead the way for others to stick their necks out and open as well....
For the moment, and for good reason, no one seems willing to risk their reputation on the outcomes of: a) what happens when the second wave is started/blamed by attending a football game (or theme park or whatever), or b) public perception that "this business" doesn't care about our health c)litigation is feared.
At some point, we have to get back to "business" or change the rules of the world drastically. This current model is not going to be sustainable for too much longer...
Thanks for attending my Ted Talk
(edited to add the NBA comment)

Agreed, the re-opening has just started and I think will gain steam very quickly. No business person wants to sit back and watch while the other guy gets all of the revenue and market share. Disney will lag, for obvious reasons, but even they will feel the pressure if everything else is up and running and they are still dark.

TrojanUSC

Agreed, the re-opening has just started and I think will gain steam very quickly. No business person wants to sit back and watch while the other guy gets all of the revenue and market share. Disney will lag, for obvious reasons, but even they will feel the pressure if everything else is up and running and they are still dark.

You are assuming demand will be there. There's countless examples of businesses in Georgia opening to see few customers. If 65% of the country (which is the current polling average for people who think we should stay locked down) sits home, no business can really survive on that. Also, if you're a business owner, why would you keep your business open for half the demand and putting your employees/customers at risk of infection or death? It's a lose/lose proposition.

HansGruber

As soon as it's legal the parks will be open. Every park operator at least in the US (Disney, Universal, Cedar Fair, Six Flags, Busch Gardens, Herschend parks) are all eager to get back into business as soon as possible.

It doesn't matter what security theatre that they must adhere to (and we roll our eyes at), they all want to open.
Eager to get back into business at a profit. These places aren't going to open just because the authorities say they can. If it doesn't make financial sense, they aren't going to subject themselves to a potential roller coaster ride of re-openings and future closings.

Yes, everyone is eager to get back to our old way of life but we have a new normal which needs to be handled accordingly, far beyond simply "getting back to work" because the authorities say they can.

Epcotbob

You are assuming demand will be there. There's countless examples of businesses in Georgia opening to see few customers. If 65% of the country (which is the current polling average for people who think we should stay locked down) sits home, no business can really survive on that. Also, if you're a business owner, why would you keep your business open for half the demand and putting your employees/customers at risk of infection or death? It's a lose/lose proposition.

Sure demand will probably start out slow at first, but I think that will ramp up pretty quickly as well. The ones who aren't as concerned about the virus and are eager to get out, will be the first ones out as soon as things open up....and the more that do it, the more that will.

Peter Pan's Shadow

Lol. These assured accounts of what will happen are comedy. We don't know. Maybe opening without a profit is the first step to ramping up to profit? Maybe it adds to the brand and overall bottom line? And is 50% capacity not profitable? Funny to see how critical people are when we are all offering guesses.

Getachew

What is the point of no return for the Orlando area in general? If the parks are closed till 2021 how would the economy in central Florida recover?

At what point do they make a decision between financial ruin and public health?
As soon as it's legal the parks will be open. Every park operator at least in the US (Disney, Universal, Cedar Fair, Six Flags, Busch Gardens, Herschend parks) are all eager to get back into business as soon as possible.

It doesn't matter what security theatre that they must adhere to (and we roll our eyes at), they all want to open.

cedar isnt opening

Parker in NYC

I am looking forward to my June 10 trip.

My September projection for the theme parks still stands. And that's still a conservative estimate.

Also, I'm officially pushing back my "I will run naked through my neighborhood singing/performing Gangsta's Paradise or whatever" to July 10th. If WDW opens by then (theme park or theme parks) my neighborhood is spared and the bet is lost.*

*For those playing at home, I have won April 1st, April 15th, May 1st. My June 1st bet is still pending but pretty much in the bag. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom