WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyOutsider

This is probably one of the rare times that the insiders don’t know what’s going to happen. Heck, even the decision makers don’t know for sure yet.....

It's telling to observe which insiders right now are giving very limited info and saying "I don't know", versus which ones are trying to yank a rabbit out of their hat at every turn.

The truth is that now is a very opportune time for someone who wishes to gain that sort of attention. Always look at the big picture and snort several lines of salt when you come across insider info during this time.

disneyflush

For Shanghai’s opening they said all CMs including characters would wear masks. The exception was face characters but those people will never be within 6 feet of guests. So no princess meet and greets but they can appear in the parks at a distance. I agree with the other logistical issues being a challenge.

I wonder if Disney would use masks with the face characters that are painted to match the face of the character. In the same vein as the skrims around the buildings during construction.

erider

Interesting to see the biggest theme park in The Netherlands (Efteling) and Germany (Europa Park) are opening this month! Efteling on May 20th and Europa Park on May 29th. Of course you need to reserve your visit in advance.

Touchdown

You mean the parks will open no sooner then 2-3 weeks after govt approval. CF has parks in CA, MO, MN, OH, PA, NC/SC, and VA. Other then SC, none of those states are close to approving opening.

The fact CP canceled all their anniversary stuff this summer tells me they don’t expect to be open a majority of the time that stuff was supposed to occur during (last week in June-First Weekend in August.). When it comes to the Ohio parks, I bet they are anticipating a likely mid August opening and hoping they get the approval to relax social distancing enough that they can run Halloweekends this year.

Epcotbob

More info on Cedar Fair:

2-3 weeks for parks in the chain to open, only awaiting governmental permission to open.

The theme/amusement park industry is ready to continue business, I expect most parks that have money to operate to be doing so by June.

Wow, that's huge! She indicated 2-3 weeks after "green light", whatever that means, but I think it shows that they are ready and eager to do it....soon!

brianstl

You mean the parks will open no sooner then 2-3 weeks after govt approval. CF has parks in CA, MO, MN, OH, PA, NC/SC, and VA. Other then SC, none of those states are close to approving opening.

The fact CP canceled all their anniversary stuff this summer tells me they don’t expect to be open a majority of the time that stuff was supposed to occur during (last week in June-First Weekend in August.). When it comes to the Ohio parks, I bet they are anticipating a likely mid August opening and hoping they get the approval to relax social distancing enough that they can run Halloweekends this year.

The sate of Missouri won't stop a park from reopening in a few weeks. Now Kansas City might stand in the way of Worlds of Fun opening, but there is little doubt that Silver Dollar City will be open before the end of the month.

Epcotbob

This was on Newsweek 4 days ago: Six Flags is expected to open its parks in mid-May, with CEO Michael Spanos targeting six locations in Georgia, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and Mexico to open first.

MagicWDI

Wow, that's huge! She indicated 2-3 weeks after "green light", whatever that means, but I think it shows that they are ready and eager to do it....soon!
She said once executives give the green light they can open within 2 to 3 weeks. Meaning they (company executives) have not decided yet when to reopen, but once they do they can be up withing 3 weeks. So the other poster saying 2 to 3 weeks for parks to be open is very misleading. The report did not even give an estimate on when executives will give that green light. They are obviously keeping any estimates closely guarded.

MagicWDI

I think that's a wrong interpretation. The greenlight is government permission to open.

The executives have everyone hired and managers on salary. They're ready. This was their first public announcement since this crisis and it's saying they're willing to jump through all the Sercuity theatre to open.
I feel Disney and Ceder Fair have extremely two different view points. Seeing how Bob Iger is on California's Coronavirus Economic Task Force and seems to agree with the reopening phases drafted, which puts theme parks, concerts, and sporting events toward the last to reopen. It feels as though Disney isn't as eager to open as Cedar Fair.

MagicWDI

Because Disney is still making money in some capacity (Disney+, selling movies, Toys, brand licensing), the situtation isn't as dire to them. The parks are only one section of the company.

While Cedar Fair is making absolutely no money, is a smaller company and doesnt rely as much on public perception and other company relationships and can take more risk (can be a good thing or bad thing).

Huge motivator to reopen faster than Disney.
That's a very good point. But I don't believe the opening of these parks will influence Disney's decision on when to open their resort theme parks.

Epcotbob

That's a very good point. But I don't believe the opening of these parks will influence Disney's decision on when to open their resort theme parks.

Maybe not a "huge" influence, but some. It stands to reason that Disney would not be first out of the gate....but if these other parks open and things seem to go ok, I'm sure that would factor in there somewhere.....

MagicWDI

Maybe not a "huge" influence, but some. It stands to reason that Disney would not be first out of the gate....but if these other parks open and things seem to go ok, I'm sure that would factor in there somewhere.....
Oh I agree. If the data coming in is positive, no doubt they will feel better at opening. Maybe this is the plan.

Gearbm95

If Cedar Point is open by mid-July and Disney is still shut down I'll probably just cancel my July trip to Disney and re-route to Cedar Point. I really need a vacation and July is one of my only chances until 2021.

trainplane3

If and when* Cedar Point opens, they've already decided to delay the 150th anniversary events:
As we continue to navigate this unprecedented situation and prepare Cedar Point to open when it is safe to do so, we have made the decision to postpone our 150th Anniversary Celebration until 2021.
A historic season such as this one deserves a celebration like no other. We know we would not be able to fully celebrate this milestone anniversary with all of you in the way we had planned, therefore, we felt it was best to postpone our collection of events, attractions and experiences until next season.
Know that the fun will continue in ’21 and we look forward to when we can all celebrate together and bring you the full experience.

*Remember, everything is still fluid

Touchdown

In reality most of those things were only going to run during CP’s high summer season (Late June-Early August) the fact they canceled the celebration tells me they expect to remain closed for a good part of that time period.

Touchdown

You can keep saying it but Gov DeWine has been very cautious in his approach, as has Gov Witmer. CP’s main draws are Cleveland and Detroit, OH and MI aren’t going to give a “green light” this month, Ohio just started phase 1, Michigan hasn’t, green light = phase 3. If everything goes perfectly they will get that sometime in June, then you need to add 2-3 weeks.

Touchdown

Well I currently have a trip planned for WDW late June and Williamsburg, VA mid July. I live driving distance from Cedar Point so it’s a good back up option if, as I assume, WDW and BGW/CW will likely either be closed or offer way too limited an experience to make it worthwhile to go on a plane. I’ve now moved on to accepting that I probably won’t be riding any roller coasters those two weeks, let’s see who will be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom