WDW Picture of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

fillerup

DAD

100_0608ape.jpg

WEDisney

WEDisney,

You have got that night time photography thing down pat. You have crystal clear photos with just the right amount of lighting. You said it was by trial and error. Is each photo more trial and error, or do you have a general setting that works for most locations? Also, you know when to go so there are less crowds...in fact, no people at all.

I know there are a ton of people on this thread dying to know what camera you use; obviously you use a tripod and no flash; and what the settings of your camera are.

Care to share?

Thank you for the compliment. I use a Canon Powershot A95. It is about 3 years old so there are much better affordable cameras out there now. The time setting varies for each shot but I usually get close to the exposure setting because I have been working with the night shots for some time. On my site if you see the lightning picture that was a 13 second exposure time with 4.0 F Stop. The castle one above (because it was highly illuminated) was only about a 2.5 second exposure. In the beginning I would try around 4 seconds for a fairly dark shot and increase or decrease it the next picture depending on how it came out. A tripod as you know is the main ingredient to any night time photography and believe it or not I use a mini tripod because I don't like carrying a full sized one around all day
http://www.minitripods.com/Ambico_Mini_Tripod.htm.
This allows me to use all the flat surfaces in the park to my advantage. Although it is hard to get some of the shots when there is no garbage can around you still have fun seeing where you can make the photo work. The crowds, on the other hand, are harder to deal with. These pictures were taken in July of 2006 and that is one of the most crowded times of the year. However, The EPCOT shots are easy because during extra magic hours no one really goes to world showcase so if you head there around 12AM (when the park is open to 1AM) you will have each pavilion to yourself. The magic kingdom is tougher so you have to look for the angle that will show the least amount of people. My one rule is to shoot high over the people when you can. I think the main thing to great Disney pictures is not rushing. If you are on your way to a an attraction or late for dinner reservations the pictures will come out rushed. Take your time and enjoy just being in Disney. Some of my fondest memories are of the nights I strolled through the park and didnt go on one attraction but I did get some great shots :). PM me if you want any other information. Thanks again.

ms7479a

Original Poster
Haven't had the chance to post a picture in a while (final exams :brick:). Here is one from Animal Kingdom:
n7407783_31664701_2582.jpg

raven

How do I attach a photo in this thread without having it be a thumbnail? I am following the directions of the "manage attachments" area but it will only make them into a thumbnail. :veryconfu

WEDisney

How do I attach a photo in this thread without having it be a thumbnail? I am following the directions of the "manage attachments" area but it will only make them into a thumbnail. :veryconfu

The only way I have found to insert an image is to host the image on another site and then click on the "insert image" in the post and put in the URL (web address) of the host. I am not sure if you can "insert" an image like you would embed one in an email. Hope this helps. If you, or anyone else, need an image hosted I would be happy to do it, just email it to me. WEDisney@gmail.com

WDWFigment

WEDisney, Jeff B, or any other photography experts,

How much of what you do is not possible with a digital camera? I have a mid-level Canon digital camera...

WEDisney

WEDisney, Jeff B, or any other photography experts,

How much of what you do is not possible with a digital camera? I have a mid-level Canon digital camera...

Although I have a nice SLR I have only used my digital (Canon Powershot A95) for these shots. I like the instant feedback I get when the picture is taken. This way I can adjust the next shot accordingly. My last trip a friend of mine bought a Canon (entry level) on my recommendation and was so upset with the quality of the pictures until we went to Disney and I showed him how to use it. He was like a kid in a candy store and most of the trip he was off taking pictures and then running to catch up with us. I am sure your Canon would take some great pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom