WDW Picture of the Day (Part 8)

foreverbelle

picture.php

Unique, I don't think I have seen to many shots of this! I love the color.

WDWFigment

In a time where so many have nice cameras and good photo editing software, a good picture is easier than ever to obtain. Your talent, my friend, is to capture something we have seen a thousand times with fresh perspective. Well done.

I think we are all wrapped up in the obsession to make "The Castle Shot" appealing when someone is seeing it for the 6 billionth time. Tom is just really really good at it. I hope someday he makes a lot of money from this stuff.

Thanks, guys. If anyone looks way back at the first incarnation of this thread, to my posts in 2007-08, they were all garden-variety shots taken without much thought. My point is that, truly, anyone can become a good photographer if they put their mind to it.

Here's today's shot:

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Queue by Tom Bricker (WDWFigment), on Flickr

Click and press L to view large (it's worth it!).

photoflight

Thanks, guys. If anyone looks way back at the first incarnation of this thread, to my posts in 2007-08, they were all garden-variety shots taken without much thought. My point is that, truly, anyone can become a good photographer if they put their mind to it.

Yes and no. I've been around photography most of my life. I majored in commercial photography and I spent a lot of time around people who thought they were "artistically inclined".

Unfortunately a lot of those people had no capacity for self-critique, and even more had no talent. In that regard you're a big step ahead...the mechanics and techniques are an entirely different thing too. Reading some of your flickr comments it's obvious you "get it". Your stuff (and a lot of others here, to be honest) is decent quality, doesn't rely on the "tilty cam" kind of stuff, and is enjoyable.

Keep it up :)

WDWFigment

Yes and no. I've been around photography most of my life. I majored in commercial photography and I spent a lot of time around people who thought they were "artistically inclined".

Unfortunately a lot of those people had no capacity for self-critique, and even more had no talent. In that regard you're a big step ahead...the mechanics and techniques are an entirely different thing too. Reading some of your flickr comments it's obvious you "get it". Your stuff (and a lot of others here, to be honest) is decent quality, doesn't rely on the "tilty cam" kind of stuff, and is enjoyable.

Keep it up :)

Right. I don't think, by any means, anyone can be great. Most people probably require schooling to go from 'good' to 'great', but more importantly, I think that many people lack the "eye" for photography. That's something innate that cannot be taught.

But I do think anyone can go from lousy to good by reading and learning about photography. The basic concepts are not that difficult, and truly make a huge difference.

Oh - As someone who has been around photography all your life (and your post implies you've encountered this), I've got to ask, what is the deal with so many photographers having huge egos? Seriously, professional photographers are worse than doctors.

janoimagine

what is the deal with so many photographers having huge egos? Seriously, professional photographers are worse than doctors.

I have been a freelance producer for many different commercial photographers (currently working exclusively with one right now), and I think it comes from several things but the greatest is: Entitlement, as many have spent there years growing up as assistants painting the floor, packing the grip trucks, hauled heavy meter cases across the desert, working till 5 am processing 8x10 in there hotel bathroom turned darkroom ... they have done there time. This is followed closely by competition, it was tough to break through ten years ago, and even tougher now ... with Flickr and the advent of Digital Photography, the market is over saturated with wannabe shooters. Finally Photographers at there cores are artists, and that points back to having a competitive nature which rounds up the ego.

Not all hi-profile shooters are ego maniacs, I work with a lot of LA and European based shooters that are really great guys to work with ... Kevin Necessary comes to mind.

There are big exceptions to the rule, I have had the opportunity to assist on set with Annie Leibovitz, (when she was shooting the White Stripes in Detroit) and I can tell you she is truly a great person, positive energy, nurturing and wonderful to be on set with, and it was a one of a kind experience. She is about as big as it gets, right up there with Richard Avedon and George Hurrell.

To be honest the biggest ego's I have ever encountered in my career are those of the celebrities. A photo shoot with Maria Carey and another one with Eric Benet almost made me quit the business. :D

photoflight

I have been a freelance producer for many different commercial photographers (currently working exclusively with one right now), and I think it comes from several things but the greatest is

That all might be (probably is) right on - but it begins before that too. Several photography students I was around in school had attitudes from the get-go. They'd produce absolute garbage but would go on to explain it away as "art" - and God forbid anyone try to critique it.

The real let down for some of them was when they finally progressed into the business/commercial classes. They suddenly had the concept shoved at them that, just because they created something didn't mean their client was going to drool over it.

Oh - As someone who has been around photography all your life (and your post implies you've encountered this), I've got to ask, what is the deal with so many photographers having huge egos? Seriously, professional photographers are worse than doctors.

Aside from what's been said...who knows :)

janoimagine

They'd produce absolute garbage but would go on to explain it away as "art" - and God forbid anyone try to critique it.

I saw a lot of garbage that piers attempted pass on as legitimate art in my college years. Most of them are now art teachers which has always confounded me. (Although they could not cut it in the industry so they had to land somewhere.)

The critique was always my favorite part of my concepts and vis classes at CCS. It showed you right away who was going to make it and who was most likely to wind up with their thumb in there mouth crying in the bathroom.

If you can't take criticisim of your creations, then you need to pick a different profession.

Sorry to hijack the thread, seeing as this is a pic of the day thread, here is an old one of mine.

Synergy by janoimagine, on Flickr

parkgoer

awesome photo janoimagine. I'm still trying to figure out how to capture the sky like that. Beautiful compostion. Everytime I visit this thread I realize how sub par my photos are. anyway...

canada.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom