WDW Permits Part 5

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I see several references to a "S.A.M.S. PROJECT" at multiple locations across property. Any idea what this is and what the acronym means?
I'm guessing Nextgen network upgrades?

There were a couple permits for the S.A.M.S. project a couple months ago, then a TON more today (haven't had a chance to post them yet) for locations all over property, both on stage and off. Some of the backstage locations are even warehouses and maintenance shops. I looked up the contractors address and it turns out to be Smart City Telecom who is Disney's main telecom provider, so I am assuming this is a new communication system of some sort. It's also interesting to note that the expiration date on the permits is 12/31/13. Permits normally expire in 1 year, so this is obviously something that is going to take some time to do.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
If Reedy Creek is doing it, that's utility type work. Electrical distribution, substations, power lines, etc. Could also be more park-wide wifi stuff, but I don't think RCES filed those the first time. These are likely just work on their power grid.

RCES is just the name of the survey drawings, the contractor is listed as Jerry Carr.

Tom

Beta Return
There were a couple permits for the S.A.M.S. project a couple months ago, then a TON more today (haven't had a chance to post them yet) for locations all over property, both on stage and off. Some of the backstage locations are even warehouses and maintenance shops. I looked up the contractors address and it turns out to be Smart City Telecom who is Disney's main telecom provider, so I am assuming this is a new communication system of some sort. It's also interesting to note that the expiration date on the permits is 12/31/13. Permits normally expire in 1 year, so this is obviously something that is going to take some time to do.

Does Smart City handle their internet service as well? If so, it's almost assuredly infrastructure for wifi.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Does Smart City handle their internet service as well? If so, it's almost assuredly infrastructure for wifi.

Looking at thier web site, they do both voice and data, but it appears that voice is thier specialty. It's possible that they handle both, especially since the line between voice and data is getting blurier every day.

I also noticed that this permit, calls out the fireworks storage facility as one of the locations. This, and other back stage buildings, would lead me to believe that this is not something that is public facing, at least not entirely.

Disc Building - Electrical - S.A.M.S. Project

RSoxNo1

Keep in mind that they may not be installing Fastpass at all of these attractions. They could simply be installing "tracking portals" - the sensors that count/note when you're passing through a given area (i.e. into or out of a ride).
What are the chances that they'll actually use these portals to better report wait times? It's mystified me that they don't track the number of people in line as a measure of wait times.

Tom

Beta Return
Looking at thier web site, they do both voice and data, but it appears that voice is thier specialty. It's possible that they handle both, especially since the line between voice and data is getting blurier every day.

I also noticed that this permit, calls out the fireworks storage facility as one of the locations. This, and other back stage buildings, would lead me to believe that this is not something that is public facing, at least not entirely.

Disc Building - Electrical - S.A.M.S. Project

I see they've specifically noted the pyro parking lot back on Maple, near the fireworks sheds. And on the first sketch, they've simply outlined the entire NSA. Without knowing what SAMS is, the fact that they just say ELECTRICAL leads me to believe they're really just doing electrical infrastructure work.

The "DISC" building stands for Disconnect - which is essentially a large electrical switch that throws high voltage service on and off. They have Disconnect Rooms all over property, which allow them to kill or re-route power over their grid.

What are the chances that they'll actually use these portals to better report wait times? It's mystified me that they don't track the number of people in line as a measure of wait times.

It would absolutely floor me if they do NOT use this technology to produce near perfect wait times. Given that thye've just launched an app with one of its primary features being Wait Times....and the fact that once every guest has an RFID chip on their person....it's a no brainer that they will eventually do this. Most of the logic has already been figured, since each ride's operating system knows the capacity of the ride in terms of guests/hour. They simply count people who enter the queue, count them as they enter load, and always know how many people are in line. Combine that with the current ride capacity, and it can change the ACTUAL wait time.

It could just be as simple as tracking one person as they enter and exit the queue, but that's what they do with the red cards. By counting the actual people in queue, and factoring how quickly that queue should flow onto and through the ride, a few calculations by a server and the Wait Time can be accurate to within minutes.

Soooooooooo much potential with this technology. Far reaching beyond just tracking what we buy. It really could improve the guest experience.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I see they've specifically noted the pyro parking lot back on Maple, near the fireworks sheds. And on the first sketch, they've simply outlined the entire NSA. Without knowing what SAMS is, the fact that they just say ELECTRICAL leads me to believe they're really just doing electrical infrastructure work.

The "DISC" building stands for Disconnect - which is essentially a large electrical switch that throws high voltage service on and off. They have Disconnect Rooms all over property, which allow them to kill or re-route power over their grid

I was wondering what the DISC building was, thanks.

RSoxNo1

The "DISC" building stands for Disconnect - which is essentially a large electrical switch that throws high voltage service on and off. They have Disconnect Rooms all over property, which allow them to kill or re-route power over their grid.

It would absolutely floor me if they do NOT use this technology to produce near perfect wait times. Given that thye've just launched an app with one of its primary features being Wait Times....and the fact that once every guest has an RFID chip on their person....it's a no brainer that they will eventually do this. Most of the logic has already been figured, since each ride's operating system knows the capacity of the ride in terms of guests/hour. They simply count people who enter the queue, count them as they enter load, and always know how many people are in line. Combine that with the current ride capacity, and it can change the ACTUAL wait time.

It could just be as simple as tracking one person as they enter and exit the queue, but that's what they do with the red cards. By counting the actual people in queue, and factoring how quickly that queue should flow onto and through the ride, a few calculations by a server and the Wait Time can be accurate to within minutes.

Soooooooooo much potential with this technology. Far reaching beyond just tracking what we buy. It really could improve the guest experience.
Part of the issue is that people haven't entered the Fastpass queue yet and should be counted in the wait time measurement. However with enforcement of the wait times, this can all be factored in.

Tom

Beta Return
Part of the issue is that people haven't entered the Facebook queue yet and should be counted in the wait time measurement. However with enforcement of the wait times, this can all be factored in.

Good grief - yet another queue? A Facebook queue? Will they also have a Twitter queue? What about a MySpace queue for bands and creeps?

:D

But yes, since the computers will know how many guests will return in a given hour (and will know how many HAVE returned, since everyone will be scanning their FPs), they can extrapolate and still get pretty close. No matter what, it will be far more accurate than the current system, which simply tells you that the wait was 40 minutes....40 minute ago.

RSoxNo1

Good grief - yet another queue? A Facebook queue? Will they also have a Twitter queue? What about a MySpace queue for bands and creeps?

:D

But yes, since the computers will know how many guests will return in a given hour (and will know how many HAVE returned, since everyone will be scanning their FPs), they can extrapolate and still get pretty close. No matter what, it will be far more accurate than the current system, which simply tells you that the wait was 40 minutes....40 minute ago.
I'm drunk. I meant the Fastpass queue

Alektronic

Don't remember the exact acromyn for the DISC bldg, but I think it is Disney Information Services Computers, it holds all the computer mainframes and servers for all the important information in WDW, it is one of the most critical bldg's on property. It is located in the North Service Area.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Don't remember the exact acromyn for the DISC bldg, but I think it is Disney Information Services Computers, it holds all the computer mainframes and servers for all the important information in WDW, it is one of the most critical bldg's on property. It is located in the North Service Area.

I Googled this and it appears you are correct. DISC stands for Disney Information Services/it data Center.

Tom

Beta Return
I Googled this and it appears you are correct. DISC stands for Disney Information Services/it data Center.

Well, that's very interesting, and spins things a bit.

Upgrading electrical infrastructure at their Data Center.......perhaps to accommodate more servers.....to store NextGen Data?

Just checked out the building on WikiMapia and Bing Birds Eye. 3 large transformers (i.e. triple redundant power supply), so plenty of electrical work that could be done....especially to upgrade Data Center Tier types.

GrumpyFan

Just checked out the building on WikiMapia and Bing Birds Eye. 3 large transformers (i.e. triple redundant power supply), so plenty of electrical work that could be done....especially to upgrade Data Center Tier types.

Link or coordinates or distinguishing landmarks?

Tom

Beta Return
Link or coordinates or distinguishing landmarks?

Go north of MK on MK Drive. It eventually curves right and goes between the two cast parking lots. At the right (east) end of the east lot it a long building. That's it.

3 redundant power sources. 4 complete power back-up generators. Appears to be sturdy construction. Very few rood penetrations. Large cooling tower to feed all the Liebert units.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom