WDW Permits 2014

PeterAlt

Well, it could be for DGPS. According to Wikipedia, DGPS is a means of increasing GPS accuracy in an area. A ground based receiver uses the satellite signals to read its position like any GPS receiver would, but then because it has a known fixed position it can calculate the error in the triangulated position. It then broadcasts a signal with a correction factor.

If they are using GPS on the parade floats they may need the additional accuracy.
Interesting... Didn't know about this technology. Apple had a similar technology that it uses for its iPhones and iPads that localized exact location of objects in a room.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, it could be for DGPS. According to Wikipedia, DGPS is a means of increasing GPS accuracy in an area. A ground based receiver uses the satellite signals to read its position like any GPS receiver would, but then because it has a known fixed position it can calculate the error in the triangulated position. It then broadcasts a signal with a correction factor.

If they are using GPS on the parade floats they may need the additional accuracy.

That makes sense.

Tom

Beta Return
Saw this permit the other day. Can't think of what purpose installing a GPS antenna on a fixed building serve.

Entertaimnet Warehouse Backstage - Installation of GPS Antenna for Parade

That makes sense.

I agree.

Tom

Beta Return
@danlb_2000

On phone and at WDW, so can't look this up. Took this pic at MK last night from one of the new Frontierland boardwalks. Looks like a new boat landing, but it doesn't fit anything used by guests. Perhaps from the boardwalk work?

IMAG0527.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

PeterAlt

Neither did I. The permit intrigued me, and I happend to choose some good search terms to plunk into Google. The Wikipedia summary made sense so I shared.
This tells me that the company is continuing their investments in NextGen technologies for MyMagic+. I'm sure this will continue to evolve and get better. This is a very good thing!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
This tells me that the company is continuing their investments in NextGen technologies for MyMagic+. I'm sure this will continue to evolve and get better. This is a very good thing!

I don't think this has anything to do with MyMagic+, this is for parade use so probably to track the location of the floats.

PeterAlt

I don't think this has anything to do with MyMagic+, this is for parade use so probably to track the location of the floats.
It could also be used for network technologies, including MM+. I'm sure they're not going to tell their programmers not to use this. If it's there, it can only help.

dstrawn9889

correct... VSR touch transponder, and a med range transponder (think Bluetooth Range - since that is what the transmit/recieve is, with a different codebase)

Tom

Beta Return

Right. Specifically to track floats, since they've done away with puck system.

Won't be used for Magic Bands. No GPS in use there, just RFID.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Right. Specifically to track floats, since they've done away with puck system.

Won't be used for Magic Bands. No GPS in use there, just RFID.

Didn't realize they got rid of the puck system. This would actually give them more flexibility in how they route the parades.

Tom

Beta Return
I don't think many cell phones support DGPS. Besides, if Disney want's to track your exact location they can already do that with the hardware in the bands.

I don't know how exact Disney's abilities are. They're using RFID triangulation, I believe. They have no purpose to track you down to within feet.

They want to know if you're on a certain ride vehicle, so that the photo links properly to your account, and that can be done with one directional scanner. They will someday want to know if you're near Mouse Gears, so they can entice you to go in and buy something, but that can be done with one or two scanners and only needs to locate you to within a moderately large area.

But it's important for them to be able to track the EXACT location, speed and direction of parade floats for safety and proper spacing/timing.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't know how exact Disney's abilities are. They're using RFID triangulation, I believe. They have no purpose to track you down to within feet.

They want to know if you're on a certain ride vehicle, so that the photo links properly to your account, and that can be done with one directional scanner. They will someday want to know if you're near Mouse Gears, so they can entice you to go in and buy something, but that can be done with one or two scanners and only needs to locate you to within a moderately large area.

But it's important for them to be able to track the EXACT location, speed and direction of parade floats for safety and proper spacing/timing.

I don't know what they have implemented, but with proper receivers the technology in the bands could be used for pretty accurate triangulation. People have been experimenting with this for quite some time...

http://www.openbeacon.org/

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Permit filed with the South Florida Water Management District for road improvements at the intersection of Vista Blvd at Bonnet Creek Road. Vista will be widened and left turn lanes added for Bonnet Creek.

Capture.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom