WDW or Universal?

WDW or USO

• Walt Disney World

Votes: 134 87.6%
  • Universal

Votes: 19 12.4%

• Total voters

JusticeDisney

Having just been at Universal (and still being in WDW), let me say this about the park food. Universal’s is horrendous, plain and simple. I used to think that at least Finnegan’s was a good option, but not anymore. There was a dead fly in my soda, which certainly didn’t help to set the mood, and the food was, at best, on par with a local Applebee’s. My advice to Universal visitors is to eat ahead of time!

Also, if you are visiting WDW or Universal strictly for the rides, then a very good argument can be made that Universal wins that battle, especially if your focus is on thrill rides (although Flight of Passage, IMO, is the best ride I have ever been on, and I have a feeling that Star Wars is going to top even that). If, however, your focus is on the overall experience (as mine is), then WDW wins by a country mile. I always enjoy my time at Universal and I will visit there on every trip, but it is little more than a collection of closely-crammed buildings and macadam. WDW, on the other hand, is just beautiful to look at in almost every corner of all four parks.

As someone above very aptly stated, Universal is a great place to visit, but WDW is a great place to stay.

Walt Disney1955

These two theme parks are rivals. Is Disney good at some things Universal isn’t? Vice-versa? On this thread I am here to as you...
Do you prefer Walt Disney World or Universal Studios?

When I say that going to Disneyland or Disney World is like choosing between steak and lobster I mean it. You can't go wrong. If that is the case, then Universal is ribs or chicken wings. I mean that in a great way too. Universal is a step down when it comes to full-on "experience" but I always tell people when they go to Orlando that Universal is a must see visit. I've known people who have been to Florida half a dozen times and never left the Disney property. This is just not good, there is too much to see otherwise.

Universal does thrills better. It gives you a bit more of a "studio" feel. The initial theme of the park was to "Ride the Movies" and this is true. One thing Universal fails at that Disney doesn't is nostalgia. They don't keep their old attractions around like Disney does. Universal opened in Florida in 1990 and what is left from there? E.T? Compare that to Magic Kingdom from 1971 and there is still plenty left.

graphite1326

I didn't vote. A few years ago it would have been WDW. Now, I don't know. I loved Disney for what it was. The themes. There was something for everyone at every age group. Loved it. BUT, now that all the parks are becoming IP parks, Universal is looking like a vacation exclusive.

KitchenKabaret

We were just at Universal in April, for the first time. We did not like it. I was disappointed as soon as I realized how close the park and our hotel (Royal Pacific) were to the highway. That made it feel cheap to me, from the beginning. Customer service at Universal just isn't on par with Disney. I was with someone who was vision impaired and she fell on the stairs going into the Forbidden Journey. No one stopped to help her at all. I know if something similar had happened in a queue at Disney, the response would have been very, very different. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Universal feels like the same rides over and over again. They also don't have the IP that Disney does, aside from Harry Potter, so there was nothing there that tugged at my heart the way so many things at Disney do.

Incomudro

There's no magic to Uni.
No nostalgia, no childhood memories, nothing deep.
It's cool in many ways, kind of trendy, and I'd find it cool at night if I were still a young single guy.
Then again, Disney has that covered with Disney Springs.
But again, there is no deep sentiment to Uni.
Think of Wishes for example.
It didn't matter what age you were, when you watched that display you were caught up in emotion, in childhood memories.
Uni can never offer that - it doesn't have the source material.
Uni's got Blues Brother's and Jimmy Fallon.

Last edited:

Mander

In the Parks
No
I haven't been to Universal since before the Diagon Alley section opened so maybe it has changed but Disney wins hands down for us.

I'm absolutely biased in my love for Disney but there are a couple things that keep us from visiting Universal. The first being the type of rides we enjoy. I get sick on most screen based rides (Soarin' is fine, FoP is borderline, Star Tours makes me sick, and I won't attempt Mission Space). My husband can't go on really intense roller coasters (Everest is borderline and he won't do RnRC). That makes Universal difficult for us where Disney still has lots to offer! The second big thing is the cost. I can add an extra Disney day for cheap or spend over $200 to add a day at Universal. It just isn't worth it.

I say all this as a pretty big Harry Potter fan who loved Hogsmeade. They did a great job with that land! I just didn't really like anything else. If/when they add a Nintendo themed area, we'll probably go back and try it. Until then it just isn't worth it for us.

jloucks

Uni is superior to WDW in several ways. But, to distill this down, I'd say Uni for Adults and Teens, WDW for Kids and Parents.

PAW PAW 70

If you like roller coasters do universal. Make sure you don’t have any back or medical problems because most rides are rough. We did universal both parks in one day, I was only to ride a few of the attractions, Even though, it was worth the visit with grand kids.

JusticeDisney

If you like roller coasters do universal. Make sure you don’t have any back or medical problems because most rides are rough. We did universal both parks in one day, I was only to ride a few of the attractions, Even though, it was worth the visit with grand kids.
Universal is much more simulators than roller coasters, no?

jloucks

Besides thrill rides, in what ways do you believe Uni is superior?

The main preferences...
  • The main hotels are walking distance from both parks. I far prefer just taking a leisurely stroll back to the room at night as opposed to the cattle car experience that is WDW busses @ closing time.
  • The immersion of Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade are amazing. My teenager was absolutely stunned. Prying her out of there was a challenge. Nothing with that effect in WDW. Ironically, WDW is better themed, overall.
  • The food was amazing, for the cost, at Uni. Now, take cost out of the equation and WDW wins. ..more specifically Epcot wins
  • Rides for older kids
  • Might have just been luck, but Uni crowds were far more bearable. People per sq foot has always been way lower at Uni than WDW when we are at the parks.
  • Butterbeer. I don't get whats great about the Dole Whip, but I get Butter Beer. My whole family does.
All that being said, we decided several trips ago that we always do both parks because they are both attractive, but for differing reasons. we start with 2-3 days and Uni and wrap up with 3-5 at WDW.

DfromATX

We've been to both, and although I thought Universal was loads of fun, my heart belongs to Disney. I think Universal is best for older children, but that's not to say older people can't enjoy Disney. Also, Universal seems like it's easier to plan. I guess because it's really only 2 parks (I don't do water parks) so it takes less time and it's cheaper. It's also not as important for me to stay on property. Holiday Inn is just fine whereas with Disney I must stay on property.

LittleBuford

Sorry to revive this old thread, but last time I contributed to it, I hadn't been to Universal. I finally went this week after my partner's dad said he wanted to take us during a brief stay in Orlando. I'll admit to being a little nervous beforehand that I'd find aspects of Universal preferable to my beloved WDW, but the opposite ended up being true. Other than the Wizarding World, which is truly breathtaking, nothing there even approached the magic of Disney. The theming was lacklustre, the rides were repetitive, and the team members (including those in the Wizarding World) had none of the enthusiasm and friendliness of CMs. Even my partner, who is a huge Harry Potter fan and not a pixie duster like me, fully agreed that there was no competition between the two resorts. Universal lost a lot of points for him in the food department. As a vegan, he has no trouble being accommodated at Disney, but the options at the Leaky Cauldron and Three Broomsticks were essentially nonexistent. I'll admit that the Butterbeer was delicious, though. :)

Needless to say, these are very much my own opinions, and I fully realise that I'm in no way objective, especially as an unabashed Disney devotee. Still, I'm somewhat surprised that people pit the two resorts against each other as if Universal poses any real threat to Disney. It really doesn't.

SirWillow

Not sure why it has to be an either/ or thing. For us it's a both/ and. Love all of the parks, both Disney and Universal. It's why we made sure to make time to get my daughter (a Potter fan) over to Universal on our last Disney trip. Just posted that vlog up early last week in fact.

Animaniac93-98

Universal Japan easily tops Orlando in terms of food quality and employee friendliness. The park also has a better mix of rides and shows, having the best of Studios and IoA in one park, plus some older rides like Jaws. Not as 3D/screen heavy. Super Nintendo World also opens next year.

It's unfortunate that Universal Studios Florida is probably their worst park in the world. At least Islands is still good.

jloucks

Universal Japan easily tops Orlando in terms of food quality and employee friendliness. The park also has a better mix of rides and shows, having the best of Studios and IoA in one park, plus some older rides like Jaws. Not as 3D/screen heavy. Super Nintendo World also opens next year.

It's unfortunate that Universal Studios Florida is probably their worst park in the world. At least Islands is still good.
Japan anything is going to top friendliness. Formality and cordiality are part of the culture. I'd be willing to bet they top cleanliness too. Again, a cultural thing. Is is shameful to be a rude filthy degenerate there. Here, not so much.

Paper straw fan

I go to both, so yeah not an either or situation for me either, but...

I’d have to disagree about Islands being much better (or at all) than Studios. I have an AP there and probably spend 2x the time at the latter.

I like the resort setup at USF too, where you can walk to the parks w ease (with 2 of them, from the Portofino it’s more like the walk from Swan to Epcot) but even their ferry boats usually don’t take very long.

There’s at least a higher density of thrill rides, which seems, at least for me, to make it where there’s seldom just a “not even if they’re giving out $100’s at the end” wait times like you see for the more intense rides at WDW. They may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but the wait times say these rides are in demand everywhere.

Butterbeer >>>> Dole whips. I like both but this is a first round KO.

I can’t say I get the comments that hate on the food there either. Overall, WDW has more good places to eat. But in-park, Mythos is one of the better rated park restaurants period, the Potter themed places at least offer a good variety, and the QS places are all fine. I’d probably rank it better than MK or HS but not quite Epcot or AK. But- the refillable mugs and several coke freestyle locations make it a good buy, and there’s enough machines that you won’t get trapped behind little Praxden who is having American Idol length auditions to see which soda flavor he chooses. (Always just regular Coke)

Citywalk also has a decent selection, and while not at the level of D Springs, is an easier walk and far less of the ‘outlet mall’ feel DS is starting to give.

They have started to figure out a photo pass system that isn’t quite on WDW par yet but gives you a still good system to getting all of your park photos with ease.

Staying on property is a greater reward at USF too, as your hotel key acting as express pass is like instant FP access (or better). At WDW, it’s usually now our 3 FP’s, maybe one standby for a shorter line and maybe one other FP you can make afterwards. I’ve gone thru both parks at USF and rode everything at both parks I wanted (probably 90% of the rides, or everything but the water rides) in one day without it being some hurried mad dash.

Their parades are underrated too. Honestly I have gotten where I find Universals floats and props better in their parades. And typically my attitude towards parades at parks is “ok these suck let’s ride rides while everyone is watching this”

The design is pretty great too. Obviously the HP areas are amazing (and I’m not a Potter fan) but there’s beauty in other areas of the parks too. Seuss land nearly brought my mother to tears, the resorts are gorgeous, and Citywalk is an amazing site at night.

Now what I’ll concede- Disney does seem to better cover any warts, any “ugly” spots are better concealed or covered up. But these 2 places are probably far and away better than any other theme parks in that aspect

The customer service level at WDW is without peer. That said, it’s not bad at all at Universal, it’s just not quite stressed at the level Disney has. However, we spent an anniversary at USF and were congratulated as often as I’ve been told Happy Birthday at Disney before.

The characters for meets/photos at Disney are far better. Absolutely. While that’s still cool to me, without kids it’s not a huge deal to me, but for people that it is, there you go.

The Disney fireworks/ special effects are better. The light show at Hogwarts though, was pretty darn close to the one you get prison shanked at MK for your viewing spot.

It’s of course in the eye of the beholder, Disney has more room, resources, and has been doing this longer. It’s also a fairly unique place in that it’s a theme park that’s not entirely about the rides. But I’d say if I listed what I liked better about each, Universal may come out slightly ahead

Last edited:

Walt Disney1955

I always assumed that most would pick Islands of Adventure over Universal Studios as the better individual park. I do at least even though Universal is still a fine park. Our family member went with us to Orlando last year and this was his first time. We went to Universal and he went a total of three days with the base passes. So on the 3rd day he got to go back and choose which park to go since he couldn't hop. So he chose Universal to my surprise. He thought they were pretty equal in his eyes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom