WDW or Universal?

WDW or USO

• Walt Disney World

Votes: 134 87.6%
  • Universal

Votes: 19 12.4%

• Total voters

Palavralee

I am local and have annual passes at both. I love both! I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, and those sections of the Universal parks are every bit as well themed as Disney. However, I do not do well with simulator rides, so there isn't as much for me to do. My daughter and I tend to go and spend a few hours at Universal and not whole days. When we go to Disney, we sometimes only go for a few hours, but Disney has great nighttime attractions, so we often end up staying later than we planned. For these reasons, I voted for WDW but Universal is almost a special to me. I feel so lucky to be able to go to both often:)

JIMINYCR

That said, I think Disney trounces Universal pretty handily.

Universal is a place to visit. Disney is a place to stay.

My vote of course went to Disney.
Your comment got me thinking... Ive heard many people say theyd love to move to or retire to FL to work at or be near Disney. I cant ever remember hearing the same being said about Uni.

The Empress Lilly

These two theme parks are rivals. Is Disney good at some things Universal isn’t? Vice-versa? On this thread I am here to as you...
Do you prefer Walt Disney World or Universal Studios?
They are rivals for my time, and money. But preference is not even close. Without WDW I would likely never go to Orlando again. The others are the sideshow.

But I did 3 days UNI last trip, 5 days SEA/Busch/DC this trip, and I thoroughly enjoy both competitors. It's a lot of days Disney is losing from me nowadays, but totally worth it to escape the madness and the stress and the corporate disrespect you are subjected to on a Disney trip.

Chef Mickey

My vote of course went to Disney.
Your comment got me thinking... Ive heard many people say theyd love to move to or retire to FL to work at or be near Disney. I cant ever remember hearing the same being said about Uni.
Universal doesn't have that same magical feeling and doesn't engender love for the brand. I actually love Disney. Not like I love a person, but there is love there.

Universal/Comcast is just another solid brand to me. No love. No nostalgia.

NickWilde

You’re on a WDW forum. What do you expect us to say?

Personally, I’d say WDW. While I’ve never been to Universal Studios Orlando/Islands of Adventure, I have been to Universals Studios Hollywood, and I didn’t really enjoy it that much. Besides Harry Potter, the “lands” at Uni weren’t that well themed in my opinion, and they just felt really small compared to WDW/DLR. The food was... alright, but I’ve had far better meals at Disney. My main complaint would be the motion simulator rides, and the fact that there just too many of them. While I did enjoy the rides that used physical sets and effects, (EX: Jurassic Park) the motion simulators didn’t feel that good to me and left me really nauseous. Also, there’s the characters: I avoided the character interactions at Uni because most of them were for films I didn’t really care about, while at Disney, I loved them, probably due to that nostalgia/fondness factor. Uni was also just so small. You could spend a day there and have done everything, while at Disney, you could be there a whole week and still not be close to doing everything. Even with a crowd consisting of older kids/young adults, we still enjoyed Disney more.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I guess it's state of mind (which personally is why I love Disney). When I'm driving down World Drive and the first monorail passes......It's almost like the little kid in me emerges. It's to the point even when I enter from 535 onto Hotel Plaza Blvd and see the first Disney Bus...that does it too. Don't get that feeling entering Uni property.

Universal is a great park (2). It's got a lot to offer. You can make a case that it has some better rides. But it's not Disney. I think Disney has done a lot better managing the "brand" than Uni has. Uni thrills - Disney immerses

Think about this. If someone tells you "Hey, I'm going on vacation and staying at the Contemporary" - there's no doubt its Disney. Same person says "Hey, I'm going on vacation and staying at the Hard Rock" - I'm thinking Vegas first. You don't see it referred to as Starwood's Dolphin and Swan - Like it is over at the Lowe's properties at Uni.

Lowe's are great properties. You can even say that the actual rooms might be better at Portofino and Royal Pacific. Theme's not bad either. But every time I have stayed there I've always felt a bit of a disconnect.

Even though they are on Uni property - I don't get an overwhelming Uni vibe. I get more a Bonnet Creek vibe. When I'm at the Poly or POR or AKL - or wandering around FW or the Boardwalk - it's unmistakably Disney.

drp4video

I have been to WDW over 30 times, and Universal at least 15. Having just spent 4 days at WDW and 2 at Universal in May, WDW is by far the better experience. I loved both Harry Potter portions of Universal and the train between them was fun. Island's of Adventure is better than Studio's, and I say that because so many of Universal Studio's rides are 3-D screens. We got tired of putting on glasses for every ride, and tired of the 3-D screens. It got old very fast and we wanted non-3-D screen rides. WDW has a few, but not like Universal Studios. The que's and theming at WDW is also better, with the exception of both Harry Potter;s Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, as are the food choices and restaurants.

correcaminos

WDW for us. Universal has far too much just open and plain concrete as well as 3D rides (which I find boring). The only thing I like Universal for more is how they do security for entering as well as it being closer together.

NickMaio

Too hard for me to judge openly - - - they both have pluses and minuses.

You should create a button for both.
Universal Studios Parks are owned by Comcast so know what you're supporting when you buy a ticket, but they did make a few good products like The Wizarding World of Harry potter and Spiderman but the majority aren't that great.

Walt Disney World on the other hand offers so much more and has an entire park dedicated to conservation, and probably is a more moral company to support.
Disney owns so many subsidiary companies - - It would be almost impossible to make that assumption.

Disney is a huge conglomerate company - bigger than comcast. They want to make their shareholders money. Morally or not. I am almost sure they invest in questionable market areas, or grey areas.

Either way - both parks are a blast. They get my money :)

danheaton

Both! I would vote for WDW, but it's not an either/or proposition for me. I love going to both resorts and like how they're different yet still complement each other. Universal is a lot easier to navigate and has been building better attractions in the past 10 years overall. I'm excited to see where both resorts are going in the next 3-5 years. There is so much expansion happening, and the rivalry is good for everything but our wallets.

JusticeDisney

This thread made me realise that I'm not really a theme-park person but a Disney person. I love Disney theme parks, but that's because they are Disney brought to life. The idea of going to a theme park per se does very little for me. I wonder if others feel the same.
I am right with you. By way of example, I wouldn’t care if I never set foot in a six flags or cedar point, etc.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
This thread made me realise that I'm not really a theme-park person but a Disney person. I love Disney theme parks, but that's because they are Disney brought to life. The idea of going to a theme park per se does very little for me. I wonder if others feel the same.

WDW is the only place in the world that brought me to tears as a child because my family couldn’t afford to go and brought me to tears as an adult when I finally was there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom