WDW or USO

• Walt Disney World

Votes: 134 87.6%
  • Universal

Votes: 19 12.4%

• Total voters

Disney Lover Addie

Original Poster
These two theme parks are rivals. Is Disney good at some things Universal isn’t? Vice-versa? On this thread I am here to as you...
Do you prefer Walt Disney World or Universal Studios?

Chars0704

I went to Universal as an adult with my now husband and we had a blast. I don’t think it would be great for our 2 year old though. But I’d like to take her when she’s older. We stayed on property and it was really nice.

sd14

I just booked a 2 night (Universal) and 5 night Disney with my family (DW, DD x2 9 and 11). The big draw for them at Universal is Harry Potter World and some of the larger thrill rides. Disney is just bigger and overall has more to offer.

Touchdown

Both, WDW is my favorite but it’s expensive and I like variety. So I rotate between WDW, DLR and UO. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

I haven’t been to WDW in over 4 years in that span I’ve been to Uni twice, mainly for horror nights weekends. I would not take a kid under 8 to uni seems like a waste to me. I’m going to wdw in January and can think of at least 30 things to do with my 2 year old. So younger kids wdw owns that. Older kids is a toss up to me depends on what the kid likes. Staying on property at uni with their express pass you can do everything in a weekend. To me aside from diagon alley there’s nothing too spectacular at uni, but diagon alley is probably the most amazing theme park section I’ve ever seen. Maybe SW:GE will come close but diagon alley is unprecedented in my mind and I don’t even think gringotts is that great of ride but overall theming can’t be touched. Food isn’t even close the worst meal at wdw is better than anything at uni, you have to leave and go to city walk to get anything decent at uni. Uni is still not a week long destination, Disney is.

LittleBuford

I haven't been to Universal and have very little interest in doing so. On one hand, that means I'm not qualified to answer your question, but on the other, it points to something that Disney does much better than Universal: capitalise on brand loyalty. My love for WDW is built on my love for Disney itself; I grew up watching the films, adoring the characters, and singing the songs. The word "Disney" conjures all of this up and creates a sort of magical, nostalgic aura that surrounds WDW and the other Disney parks. The word "Universal" has no such associations, and since I don't like intense thrill rides, the resort holds very little appeal for me.

(ETA: Since I haven't been to both, I didn't vote in the poll.)

Last edited:

JS514

This question is essentially asking someone if they like Taco Bell or Chickfila better. Both are fast food restaurants. Both are popular. I like both equally, but in different ways. Maybe I want a taco. Maybe I want chicken. Who knows?

While you'll have people on each side try to compare and reason, there really is just no comparison because they are entirely different. Disney has much more sentimentalism involved than Uni does....that's a big reason why some people are so adamant with the WDW is the greatest argument, which is not necessarily a bad thing. And, as my horrible analogy above alludes, one day I may want coasters and Potter, the next I may want Mickey and pirates. WDW is more child friendly, obviously, but that doesnt mean it's necessarily a "better" park.

Michaelson

When we go on our WDW/Universal annual trip, we do it over 2 weeks. Past practice (and future plans) are to only spend 2 days at Universal, and the balance at WDW. The reason is Universal pretty much exhausts us, and it's not from all the rides and activities. It's a gauntlet from the moment we get on the interstate for the park to the front gate.

The work culture is nothing like the Disney culture. Parking is chaotic most times, and getting out of a parking garage at night a nightmare. WDW has parking coming and going down to a fine art.

We've actually been sitting on rides at Universal waiting to go and have had workers standing on both sides of the ride arguing over top of us about how crummy their work schedule was that had been posted the next week like we weren't even there. I can hear that kind of 'stuff' between cashiers standing in line at our local big box store! We even heard two workers laughing about sending people in the wrong direction when asking the way to the Hogwarts section of the park.

At a couple of the restaurants at Universal food is slung at you like a mall cafeteria with no smile behind the service at all. You feel like you're interrupting their day. This is not at ALL locations, mind you....but at enough it leaves a bad impression in your mind. Sometimes all it takes is one event to take away the 'magic'.

When we first went to the 3 broom sticks restaurant several years ago, the staff went out of their way to make the experience as real as they could, complete with British accents and HP world finesse. The last time we went, they just went through the motions of taking our order and putting us at a table. They acted, again, like we had interrupted their discussion of their next day's schedule. Food was great, but once again, the magic just disappeared with the blank stare and pointed finger to the person responsible for seating after food pick up. We even got to see two of the servers get into a heated argument about who was supposed to get a drink for a customer first right in front of us and every patron waiting in line. Not a single manager got involved, as they were standing at the door talking. A complete free for all between servers! Unreal!

Their customer service, on the other hand, is fantastic. They are quick to respond to any problems, and follow up, so they get kudos in my book for that. The front office DEFINITELY wants you to have a good experience. Problem is, and they've said it themselves to me, a lot of the times the folks 'on the production floor' don't read the memo, and that honestly bothers them.

For that reason I'll take WDW over Universal, but getting past the gauntlet, Universal has great rides and keeps your attention throughout, but definitely adult or older child friendly.

Don't get me wrong, this is NOT a slam of Universal. We always enjoy our visits, but when compared to experiences with WDW, they're as different as night and day.

Just my opinion and personal experience here. Others will definitely vary. :)

Regards! M

Last edited:

mj2v

Disney knows how to manage a parking lot, Universal does not.

Disney is better, typically at resolving issues.

Universal is just coming out of their “screens everywhere” phase, so hopefully that is good.

Universal has better thrill rides.

Universal has my absolute favorite fall event, Halloween Horror Nights.

Disney has my absolute favorite Christmas Event Epcot Candlelight Processional

Disney has magic bands and fp. Universal has a paid for version. Or you can stay in the onsite hotels, but only certain ones.

Line lengths tend to be shorter at universal, but they are the absolute worst at posting wait times. It’s nearly always longer. Disney typically overestimates.

Both can be shown to be cheaper/more expensive depending on the comparison. Counting Volcano Bay as a theme park is sort of slimy.

We like both, but typically have annuals for WDW. We will get annuals for universal every few years.

ppet

I really enjoyed the Harry Potter attractions/Land and Spider-Man. The rest of the park has always seemed like a slightly improved six flags or other generic park. I don't get the same feel of immersion that I do at WDW. I will continue to go occasionally to Uni, but WDW will still be a destination.

CaptainAmerica

With people here who’ve never gone to one of them - let alone this being a centric forum for one only - your results won’t exactly be accurate.
You're right. People here at WDWMagic are extremely hostile to and negative about WDW.

Only half joking.

Not to mention they’re two very different products.
That's the biggest thing. I recognize the quality of WWoHP, but that doesn't mean I like WWoHP. I absolutely despise the Potter movies (and book 7, but that's beside the point) and I'm also annoyed by Potter fanboys. I'd rather spend an hour in Dinoland, USA than in Diagon Alley, but obviously the latter is objectively "better." I also have zero interest in large, looping roller coasters, nor do I care about much of Universal's IP.

Weather_Lady

We visited both on our last Orlando trip. It was our first trip to Universal and we spent 3 nights there, followed directly by 5 nights at WDW, so it was hard not to compare them.

We had a great time both places, and received excellent service from staff. Universal's greatest asset is its small footprint, which makes walking between the parks, to CityWalk, and back to an onsite hotel super-easy and convenient. Universal's greatest problem is ALSO its small footprint, because its various "lands" are not well-enough insulated from one another to give you the level of immersiveness you get at WDW. Also, the lack of real estate means that more of the attractions are 3D simulators rather than sprawling physical rides, which can feel a bit repetitive and boring after awhile, as you're handed the same pair of 3D glasses over and over and over. Other differences were negligible: we thought the CS food options were a bit better at WDW, and DME airport transportation is a great perk to which Universal has no corollary. On the other hand, our hotel's value-for-price-point was much better at Universal, and at Universal, we could buy the lowest-level Annual Pass for about the same price as 4-day park-to-park tickets, something which saved us a bundle on our onsite hotel (thanks to an annual passholder discount), and which we could never afford at WDW.

At the end of the day, if I put aside my youthful nostalgia for WDW and take the appeal of various IPs out of the equation (since that's all down to personal taste), I can't say I solidly prefer one over the other. Both places offer great experiences -- just different ones. I see them as chocolate and peanut butter -- different things, both good in their own way, and nice to enjoy together.

Last edited:

DisneyDaver

Universal's greatest asset is its small footprint, which makes walking between the parks, to CityWalk, and back to an onsite hotel super-easy and convenient.

I brought some family members who are not big theme park fans in general to both WDW and Universal. Universally (pun intended) they liked Universal better for the reason you stated. We stayed at Hard Rock while at Universal and they felt the whole experience was more enjoyable. Very easy to go back and forth between the resort, 2 parks, and CityWalk. They found WDW to be too much "work".

Animaniac93-98

Touring Universal is much less stressful and time consuming, especially if you stay at one of their on-site deluxe hotels. I like the walk from Royal Pacific to the parks and enjoy not worrying so much about lines (which die down in the afternoon), pre-planning everything or trying to navigate through all the crowds and strollers of WDW. UNI parks have a different vibe to them and it's one I like better.

What UNI lacks however, is a quality line-up of secondary attractions and diversions. They don't have anything as charming as the Tiki Room, or Carousel of Progress or an entertainment line up on par with Illuminations or Festival of the Lion King. It's why so many day guests are done by 2:00pm and people think they can cram both parks into one day. Closing both Disaster! and Beetlejuice for the lousy Furious ride is a perfect example of UNI doubling down on this problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom